Patrick Dempsey: I'd love to play Doctor Strange
April 5th, 2011

Patrick Dempsey: I'd love to play Doctor Strange

Patrick Dempsey wants to prove he's more than Dr. McDreamy by playing Doctor Strange.

The actor, who stars as hunky brain surgeon Derek Shepherd on ABC's "Grey's Anatomy," tells the L.A. Times he's dying to play Marvel's magical neurosurgeon in either a TV series or movie.

“I've been lobbying for that,” he says of portraying the super sorcerer. “There's a whole bunch of people [among the 'Grey's' crew] who are into comics and Marvel, too, on the set and they're like, ‘Doctor Strange, that's the one you should do.' It would be fantastic. It'd be a great TV show, especially for HBO or something like that."

But, Dempsey, who will next be seen in this summer's "Transformers: Dark of the Moon," adds, "I don't know if I'd necessarily do another show, a drama—that's 24 episodes again. HBO you're at 13 and I think that's much better."

Doctor Strange, created in 1963, is a master magician who can conjure up anything, is capable of telepathy and teleportation, and has the ability to heal himself and resurrect the dead. Dempsey tells the L.A. Times that Marvel's head of television is aware of his desire to portray the character on screen.

"At Comic-Con they were talking about me playing it and there was a rumor that I'd been cast," he says. "I mean, it's something that's kind of out there and, you know, I've been looking at that. It would be a fun one to do. Hopefully, doing something like ‘Transformers' is about to show myself in an action situation where I'm not mister-weepy-doctor-guy, you know, not McDreamy. You have to change that in people's view. I'm still hungry for other things. I'd love to play Doctor Strange."

1. Superhiro

Dr Strange huh? Too obscure of a Marvel character to have his own show or film, but he could be in one of the avengers movies potentially.

April 5, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. the lepps

ted what kind of parent goes and tries to get there 12 yr old a tatoo,whats next yrs b-day present a day at the bunny ranch,IDIOT

April 5, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Channing Tatum

Oh yes...this guy is as gay as they come. I would like to dance with him and we begin kissing and disrobing one another. MmMmmMm...I feel faint...Bend me over Patty and plow my dirt garden.

April 5, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Head Diva In Charge

Well we rednecks have a better speaking voice than you yankees! At least we don't talk with that nasal voice like the b***hes in NJ and NY. You people up north suck!

April 5, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Grey's Fan in Maine

Not everyone up North "su#@s". Patrick Dempsey is from Maine, has a beautiful wife and 3 children.

April 5, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. T

By the flames of Faltuu !
    (Doctor Strange comment from the comic pages: 1960s era)
    He would be perfect for the role of the Sorcerer Supreme, who was once a brilliant top neurosurgeon who had an auto accident and lost his skills and wandered the world for a cure for his hands and ended up a disciple of the Ancient one to protect the world from supernatural threats.

Who would be good for the roles of supporting characters ?
    Wong ? Clea ? The Ancient One ?
    Or for the villians ? Baron Mordo ? Nightmare ?

April 5, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. jose

He likes him some doody !

April 5, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. jose

Maybe it is a stick up his bunghole aaand a gerbel. He does like playing with him some doooodoo

April 5, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mormon

I'm sure the one thing this fruit wants to play is receiver, and I ain't talking' in football...

April 5, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. ROSE

HE CAN PLAY DOCTOR WITH ME ANYTIME HE WANTS !

April 5, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. BO

I wonder if he is from georgia ? You would think so from these post. He looks like a nice guy. Not rednecky at all. I bet he is from a normal state.

April 5, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Pet Shop Boy

That grimmace on his face make one wonder if perhaps Mr Dempsey doesnt have a gerbil up his hineyhole. Or perhaps a few fudge monkeys are attempting an escape.

April 5, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. jake

In Georgia it is ok for first cousins to get married. When their babies end up with 14 fingers they consider it a great blessing. This will allow the little fella to play the banjo better when he grows up.

April 5, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. jake

There is only 1 tooth in the entire state of Georgia. It is a fake one. They each take turns wearing it.

April 5, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. jake

LOL ! Georgia is ! I heard when you cross the state line they make you sign a card atating you are either an illiterate redneck or black person. They even had the Dukes of Hazzard flag on their state flag ! YEEEEEEHAW !

April 5, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Head Diva In Charge

I don't care what else this guy does. He will always be the hottest Myer Lanskey there ever was!

April 5, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  16. justinee

I feel your pain. I was going to get a tat this week for spring break. Im 16. The state of JAWJA says you gotta be 18. If this is so then how do half the dudes in our middle school have them ? Georgia is one @ss backwards state.

April 5, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. Head Diva In Charge

Hey dumb@ $$ above 12 yrs is too young for a tatt! what kind of parent are you? man you are a moron

April 5, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  18. jemma

Was patrick dempsy the guy that played bobby on the dallas tv show ?

April 5, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. TED

Is there some sort of law that says how old a person has to be to get a tattoo ? We took our son who is turning 12 to get one for his birthday. They refused to give him one even with parents permission. This just is not right. We did get to take him to Wrestlemania so the entire birthday wasnt ruined.

April 5, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |