Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson join 'Hunger Games'
April 5th, 2011

Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson join 'Hunger Games'

Ever since Oscar nominee Jennifer Lawrence landed the part of Katniss Everdeen in the upcoming film adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ “The Hunger Games,” one question has been on everyone’s minds: Who would play Peeta Mellark?

Well now we know: Lionsgate has confirmed that Josh Hutcherson has been tapped for the role, Deadline reports. It's a crucial one: Peeta is Katniss' fellow competitor/love interest as the 16-year-old girl is forced to compete in a brutal government-sponsored, televised battle.

The “Kids Are All Right” star was reportedly going against Alex Pettyfer (“I Am Number Four”), Hunter Parrish (“Weeds”) and Liam Hemsworth for the job.

While Hemsworth (“The Last Song”) won’t play Peeta, he will play Katniss’ childhood friend Gale Hawthorne. As Entertainment Weekly points out, Hemsworth won't have as large a part in the first film as Hutcherson, but if Hollywood indeed adapts the full trilogy, then there's more of Hemsworth coming down the line.

“Hunger Games” will arrive in theaters on March 23, 2012. What do you think of the casting?

Filed under: Books • Casting Chronicles • Celebrities • movies

1. Emily

Interesting to see who got chosen after all the speculation. Can't wait for the movie! http://www.sunglasswarehouse.com/blog/2011/04/21/the-latest-in-tween-novels-the-hunger-games/

April 25, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cammm

I also have this image of Peeta in my head. He's got light everything. Hair, eyes, skin. Hutcherson doesn't fit the part at all. But Hemsworth seems like a good choice for Gale, if they shave him and gve him a good Olive Tan. I just cannot see Hutcherson as Peeta. It's just not right. Alex pettyfer definitely would've been my chioce.

April 21, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Chewbacca

I think Ken Paves would be perfect as Cinna. I wonder if he acts?

April 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • KayTee

@Chewbacca....great suggestion! Ken Paves would make the PERFECT Cinna!

April 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Christina

I love these books!!! I'm so excited!!!! =D

April 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SLR

I just don't know about Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. I've got this image in my head of what Peeta looks like (fair skin, blonde hair, light eyes) as descibed from the book and he just doesn't fit. Alex Pettyfer was my pick. I do think Liam would make a good Gale, if they dye his hair black and darken his skin!

I know it's too much to ask for Hollywood people to actually read the books and actually cast people who look as they're descibed in the book!

April 6, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • sherry

I agree 100%. I was kindof devastated when I saw the casting. He may do a good job but doesn't come anywhere near how I imagine Peeta to look.

April 8, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. be quiet

Have they cast the rest of the roles yet? I need to know who is going to play Teeka, Gloob, Blitzy and Flank.

April 5, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AV

The first book was thrilling and I hope the writers will make a good adaptation. These actors are going to be great. Jennifer Lawrence was awesome in Winter's Bone and Josh Hutcherson did a great job in The Kids Are All Right. I'm very excited for the motion picture.

April 5, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. jarm

The casting is great...now on to casting Haymitch, Prim, Effie, Cinna, Cato, Clove, Thresh, etc., really looking forward to Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal of Katniss Everdeen!.

April 5, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. emma

Its good they didnt ask Kirstie Alley to participate. She would eat all the food then eceryone would be starving.

April 5, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

Have you ever considered doing stand up comedy?

April 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • @emma

Isnt the movie about eating people? Kristie would eat all the people so they wouldnt be hungery, but it would only take her 10-15 minutes so it would be a short movie.

April 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonie

Be nice, there is really no reason to get nasty towards someone you don't even know just because they are overweight. We'll see how you are treated one day when you are overweight and folks get nasty towards you without evey knowing you. Have a great day.

April 6, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Sabrina

Emma, have you even read the books? The story is NOT about eating people!!

April 8, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |