Toni Morrison on Snooki: 'Don't know her...don't care'
April 4th, 2011

Toni Morrison on Snooki: 'Don't know her...don't care'

The fact that "Jersey Shore" star Snooki snagged a higher payday than Nobel Prize winner Toni Morrison to speak at Rutgers University has caused quite a stir, but Morrison herself seems to be unfazed.

According to the New York Post, Snooks was paid $32,000 from student activity funds to drop advice like “study hard but party harder” at a campus event last week while Morrison was given $30,000 to provide the University’s commencement address this year.

The $2,000 difference sparked some grumbling, but the prolific author didn't seem to be bothered when the Post asked about the Snooki situation.

Although Morrison normally gets double the amount Rutgers is paying for similar appearances, she explained to the Post, "I have some nostalgia about Rutgers because I used to teach there so, in effect, I cut my fee in half."

Nonetheless, some parents of Rutgers students aren't happy with the discrepancy. "It's disgusting," Nester Delgado, the parent of a freshman, told the Post. “Next year, is it going to be Jwoww or The Situation?"

Filed under: Books • Celebrities • Jersey Shore • Snooki • television

1. Lorindat Norlauga

You are my inspiration, I possess few blogs and often run out from brand :). "To die for a religion is easier than to live it absolutely." by Jorge Luis Borges.

July 17, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Anonymous

Really? More money for some bloated, vacuous striga who offers nothing to society other than her stupidity? Ugh, American society is shameless.

May 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mdshullaw

You can just feel the collectiove IQ of this country dropping by the hour. MTV and viacom have went out of their way to make morons of our youth, but there are many adults that are just as weak minded out there.

May 2, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. IamMe

Who cares about the $2,000 difference? People make a big deal out of the stupidest things.

April 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mrs.watson

although i do agree with about a 3rd of the blogs on here i am going to put in my two cents as well money isnt everything and besides "snookie" only got paid 32 g but ms morrison only recieved half of what she charges any other univ. and she is smiling all the way to the bank its called a tax break

April 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Charles Wellington

i took a poop the other day and it smelled like eggs and shad.

April 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joe Fafandone

Snooki has proven "you can shine a turd". don't feel bad Toni, it was 1993 and most people that like Snooki can't read anyway.

April 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Courtney

What's $2,000? These people are making more, in what 2 hours, than I am in a year. Money isn't everything.

April 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. butterscotchtall

Wow. I can't believe the ignorance displayed on this blog. For those of you with the negative, uneducated or moronic comments get a life!!!. It is apparent that YOU will never realize or understand the great impact Ms. Morrison's writings have and will continue to have on the world. How stupid you are...pathetic....the condition of education system today in the U.S. and you want to advocate and glorify Snooki's actions and lifestyle versus Ms. Morrison's accomplishments, goals and inspiration. Lord help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Thomas R. Clauss

As an Antique I am proud when a Relic gets a shot.

April 5, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Thomas R. Clauss

We are delighted she is doing so well!

April 5, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sash

At the end of the day, the disgruntled malcontents who wrote the ridiculous negative comments about Ms. Morrison will still be mean spirited people. On the other hand, Ms. Morrison will still be an outstanding writer and Nobel Prize winner who will be speaking at Rutgers. And she will not care about them or their comments. And most intelligent people will not care about them either.

April 5, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. momo-chan

in all fairness, Toni Morrison has been doing the college circuit thing for like 20 years now. How much cash does she need at this point in her life? She shouldn't command as much money because pretty much every college has seen her speak at this point. (please note, I'm not defending Snooki)

April 5, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. ohsnap

sigh...the dumbing down of America continues.

April 4, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rufus Leroy Washington

snooki think she tough. my grandmama could kick her a$$. tell this orange ho she got to go!

April 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TONI M

I love d her book named : FECES, GOING GREEN THE BROWN WAY. This is a must read for anyone seriously interested in saving our planet. Remember people. We still have time to turn things around. To stop global
    warming. To spread equaiity to all. If you read this 1 book you will see why she won the nobel prize. She is my hero. Fecese is the true way of going green.

April 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The Big Lebowski

Even the author of Archie Comics would have been a better choice than Snookie!

April 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JKit81

By reading these responses, it is SO clear how dumb America is becoming each day. So sad.

April 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. chicken lady

Nobel prize winner Ms Morrison has never written anything about feces. She has produced several novels(Beloved was made into a movie)about growing up black. Check out her books on line and about who she is as a person. What a foolish thing to make up about someone. Not only check out what she has really written but try and read some of her novels they are very good;and are for everyone regardless of the color of their skin.

April 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • JKit81

"Beloved" is such a wonderful book. Also, "The Bluest Eye" is one of my all-time favorites.

April 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kwami Allstar

IM sorry but you are wrong. She has several books regarding the proper cooking of doo doo and its nutritional value. Also her latest book "Turd Juggling – A how to guide" is due out any day.

April 5, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  20. SIMEUS

Plus she is jealous of Snookie ! Snookie is all famous like and makes lots of money. Poor toni morrison will be on welfare one day getting her some government cheese with her food stamps.

April 4, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  21. SIMEUS

Yep ! You are exactly right ! That Toni Morrison is exactly why our childrens are so dumb. If they give awards to any looser like her it makes our kids think they can just be ignorant illiterate dummies like Toni and get fancy awards too.

April 4, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. marcus

Yeah ! I agree with all of the post here ! That Toni Morrison sure is stoopid. I saw her on Hollywood Squares AND The Ten Thousand Dollar Pyramid and she didnt even get a single answer right. That just shows they will give these awards to any numbskull. I bet that Toni isnt even a good cook either !

April 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. The Big Lebowski

Inviting Snooki must have been to show the girls what happens if they flunk out and move to Jersey. (and don't choose their men carefully)

April 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  24. The Big Lebowski

Having Snooki must have been to show the girls what happens if they flunk out and move to Jersey. (and don't choose their men carefully)

April 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  25. marti444

This board with all of the silly, rude comments just goes to show how far down the hole society has gone!! Show some respect for others even if you don't have any for yourselves!!! Ms. Morrison more than likey won't even see any of your silly emails and CNN should also show some type of respect and not have these idiotic rantings allowed!! I know I won't come back to this site. Deleting it out my history, etc.

April 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • michal

You are so right; the real culprit here is CNN for putting up such low-rate rot , that would draw so many flies to begin with. I've always though of CNN as second-rate, and like you, I plan to delete this garbage, never to return.

April 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Fact Finder

All you posting these rude comments are just plain sick. What award, even close to a Nobel Prize, have any of you won? Yeah, thats what I thought. Bunch of ignorant fools. What has Snookie ever done? Oh yeah, get drunk, sleep w/everything in sight, and run her mouth. Oh thats worth $32000. Check your facts before posting. All you guys talk about is sh!t b/c thats all you are and thats all you know.

April 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Nancy

Rutgers is definitely is getting a bad rap out of this. In case they forget, it's the parents who mostly pay for thir kids' tuitions there not the kids themselves.

April 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Emma

Tonis book on the proper way to prepare mookiestink does not deserve any award. All her books are in the bargain bin at the grocery store.

April 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Head Diva In Charge

Just goes to show where this country is heading when a college pay that orange undeducated s1u t all that money to speak at their college.

April 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jwatts

Some one dummied down when they chose to pay snookie that amount of cash. When it comes to colleges and universities I feel that the school should offer the best not the worse. I thought it was in good taste for Morrison's response.

April 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Erbs

Seems to me, she does care who snooki is, otherwise she wouldn't feel bitter about how snooki got more money. If she really didn't know who snooki was, maybe she could have been nice about it. toni morrison is boring, by the way.

April 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • michal

It's a safe bet that you've never read her since you can't even string a sentence together.

April 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • DagnerMouse

"Seems to me, she does care who snooki is, otherwise she wouldn't feel bitter about how snooki got more money."

When asked if she cared she said "no" – to you that = bitterness?

"If she really didn't know who snooki was, maybe she could have been nice about it."

What – to you – is nicer than politely noting that you neither know what somebody is talking about nor care about it? Do you really expect people to waste their time while somebody goes on about something that has no meaning or relevance to them? Their time is their own, and the only commodity they wholly own – why would or should they give it up on things of no concern to them?

"toni morrison is boring, by the way."

What passes for reason in what passes for your brain is nonfunctional, by the way.

Yeah, cheap shot, and wholly unnecessary, but I wanted to carry the established theme of responding to each of your sentences forward to the bitter end, and didn't want to spend any more time coming up with something perhaps more clever and less ad hominem. Because, frankly, I neither know nor care a whit about you. Before you go off on how I must care or I wouldn't have typed all of this out, know that this comment exists only to see if I can bring a smile to one or more of the faces of subsequent folk who read this comment thread. Because I'm just that sort of fellow.

April 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  32. LoJenkins

Hysterical, whether you love or hate Jersey Shore!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esg1A7Bq1hY&w=640&h=390]

April 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kelly

Dont let Toni in your backyard cuz she will raid your septic tank.

April 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LBWl

It's a sad day when that much money will be paid to an uneducated person to speak at such an esteemed college. Ms. Morrison is a Nobel peace prize winner and Snookie has a big rack. I don't get it.

April 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jwatts

I agree

April 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Educated or not, Ms. Morrison is getting paid HALF of what she usually gets. Is anyone worth listening to (for one evening) for $60,000? Sixty grand to hear a poet speak? What is she going to say that she probably hasn't already said at any one of her many other speaking engagements where she gets her regular fee? Her value is in her poetry, not her public speaking engagements. With either of them, this is all about having a celebrity show up, live and in person. There must be tens of thousands of needy students out there who could use money for an education, but this is how the universities spend their fun money? Emily Dickinson, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and even Sylvia Plath are probably rolling in their graves.

April 5, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  35. Cheaterville

Snooki is that little troll that lives under the bridge and eats your children if they arent careful..........WWW.CHEATERVILLE.COM is a brand new site that is dedicated to expose and stop cheaters! Post a picture and a story about a cheater ANONYMOUSLY and FREE! Vote on the cheater of the day! Play the CHEATERVILLE games WHACK-A-CHEAT and SHEEN SHOOT OUT! Brand new site that launched Valentines day and CHEATERVILLE has already over 8 MILLION HITS!! Advertising running this week on the HOWARD STERN SHOW!! Read all the posts about cheaters there are TONS but you have to REGISTER NOW for FREE!!! Dont be the last to know.....

April 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ELLERY

April 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

"I am very rich and successful. I dont need some fake award to make me feel good about myself like mizz morrison."

@ ELLERY- yeah right... which is why you post on a CNN comment board looking for vindication. You're an idiot.

April 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • michal

I know; you just need your english teacher to explain to you that the word "miss" has no "z" in it. You might invest some of your wealth in a brain.

April 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Carrie

you all comments are distrubing. All yall azzes is broke as a joke. Including me but Ms. Toni Morrisons' bank account is way healthier than ours. This woman has worked all of her life you morons. Get a life and quit talking about folks

April 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

One other book Toni is currently working on is named "The Art of Doo Doo Juggling – Piece by Piece".

April 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

Are you trying to sound this ghetto, uneducated, and stereotypical? Cuz if y'all are, din ya'll doin' a right fine job, uh-huh!

April 5, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  38. toni

I likes to eat me some dooooky.

April 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Head Diva In Charge

She is still from NJ and talks with that annoying nasal voice like all the other pigs that lives in NJ. I don't see why anyone would pay that fat s l ut anything.

April 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  40. wakeeen

I agree with you 100 percent Kelly. THat is the most honest and accurate post on this blog.

April 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  41. People who like Jersey Shore are sub human trash bags

I hope all Jersey Shore fans die from spray tan poisoning. And I hope they die very slow painful deaths. They deserve it.

April 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Colleen

Atleast, Ms. Morrison doesn't have to use her money to buy dignity and respect.....something Snooki should invest in.

April 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Pillo Biter

You are an idiot! Toni simply said she didn't know who Snooki was and didn't care, she's getting paid anyway. What's mad Black woman have to do with it? Racist much?

April 5, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Qtpeye45

@Pillow biter here is the deal 1 Toni REALLY could care less cause she is STILL making money off of her books ;-) Mad Black Women she is not trust and undestand she cut her rate to speak and in laughing as she gets a NICE tax cut.. 2nd Toni is well spoken can we say the same for Snooki? Nope... Gotta love it..

April 5, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Head Diva In Charge

What exactly do you think Snooki spoke about? Drinking? DTF? Grenades? I mean – what value is she bringing except for entertainment? I actually think she seems like a really nice girl who just got a string of good luck with this show. But that doesn't mean her words of wisdom about summers on the shore should be worth more to these students then life lessons from a real professional.

April 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. wakeeen

yeah ! Toni is a jealous little troll.

April 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • emelki1968

Stop insulting! and read something...not just "comments" by other people, it will do good to you, I promise!

April 5, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  45. NOOKIE

It's easy to make fun of Snookie, but I wish someone would pay me $32,000 for an evenings work. Being in demand for any reason is financially rewarding.

April 4, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  46. whisper

how can no one know who Nicole is. Shes that Latin Americian girl whos on that show about my club life I lived over 15 years ago.

I dont think its the fact Nicole got paid more than this lady but just the fact they dished out so much to that brainless twit from Poughkeepsie. Who more than likely has no knowledge about anything

April 4, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • ajack008

@Uncle Fruge: "“I don't know her,” she said of the diminutive, tanned reality star. “And I don’t care.” I'm not getting that she has an ax to grind.

And why are people hating on Snooki??? If Rutgers deemed her important enough to offer her $32K, why in the hell wouldn't she take it. I'm thinking the fault lies with the university. I

April 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  47. JR

What did Toni Morrison ever do but write some "BOOKS" Get real people Toni doesn't even know how to use a beer bong.

April 4, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  48. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King really likes "Toni Morrison on Snooki: 'Don't know her...don't care'"

April 4, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony Snorrison

I'm fat and boring as hell. I deserve more money than everyone else because .... give me a second here ... ummm ...... I'll be back .....

April 4, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • NubesPubes

No matter how they try to justify spending this money on Dooki, I mean Snooki. This was a comlete waste of funds that should have been put toward better.......anything???? $32,000 could have done a lot of good.....

April 4, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Kenadee

The film idiocracy is coming true I swear!

April 5, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • JG

You know it's a sad day when a drunken idiot gets paid more for a speech than a nobel prize winner. Says alot about America.

April 5, 2011 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  49. CEA1

Ted you need to recheck your sources Toni morrison has wrote various books and made movies

April 4, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  50. michal

Sorry Ted, but you have to be able to at least spell in order to play Toni's game.

April 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. JKit81

Oh, she only is a measly Nobel Prize for Literature-winning author. She's so unimportant & irrelevant. Pshht.

April 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  52. ARLVA81

I'm sorry, but did I miss something? What book did Toni Morrison write about cooking with feces?

April 5, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  53. Stevie P

I am far more proud of Toni Morrison's contributions to American culture than anything "Snooki" has put forth. Let's see who has a bigger impact culturally over the next 15 years, a Nobel prize winning author or a brainless carrot trying to stay atop pop culture?

April 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. michal nash

Many of the comments on this blod, indisputably demonstrate why American is number 25 in the world when it comes to reading, math and science. Sadly, there is a generation of brainless young people--led by Snooki, that are aiming to send this country over the abyss. The saddest truth is that the powers that be (Rutgers) have endorsed them. I'm glad that I won't live to see the day when poverty, disease, dirt, and ignorance will rule this land; there is no other destiny for us.

April 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Brooke

Well if they gave awards to morons you would sweep it, hands down. I agree with Posh up there, what he said about you earlier. You're an idiot.

April 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Babiyaga

"dumb as a post" your post perhaps?

April 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  57. michal

Ellery dear, make sure that you name the person correctly before you launch a diatribe; poor thing.

April 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  58. michal

Nancie, babies and dogs and always obsessed with someone elses poop.

April 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  59. michal

Lumen, certainly no one would ever mistake you for exceptional, since you have the brainless gaul to criticise others for something of which you're not even remotely capable: writing a coherent sentence.

April 4, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Snarky's Machine

Wait, what? CNN, get it together. This is not discourse. Clean up the trolls.

April 4, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Hole Digger

Toni will probably be dead in 15 years and her silly Nobel prize along with her. In one of her bio s SHE stated in 1st grade or kindergarten she was the only one that could read. What a lying piece of garbage.

April 5, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  62. @Kelly

How do you know? Did this work for you? LMAO!

April 5, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  63. Dolores

Some of Morrison's works are cannonized and will live in perpituity. She is a class act and is probably the most academically credible comtemporary American author of our time. Volumes of academic papers have been written on her works, and many academics agree that her novel Beloved is a prime example of the "perfect novel."

April 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  64. @Hole Digger

Idiot! Why don't you do exactly what your fake name says and bury your dumb self in it? What a moron!

April 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |