'Catfish' film inspires new MTV reality series
April 4th, 2011

'Catfish' film inspires new MTV reality series

Whether or not last fall's documentary "Catfish" was real or a hoax, this much is certain: the thriller has spawned a new MTV series.

Variety reports that the network is developing a reality show based on the controversial movie, in which New York photographer Nev Schulman falls for a woman on Facebook, travels to Michigan to meet her, and is shocked to discover that she's not quite who she claims to be.

Though the intriguing film is billed as a documentary, skeptics claimed that many of the scenes had been scripted or set up.

According to Variety, the creative team from "Catfish" will be involved in the MTV project, which would likely focus on people who misrepresent themselves online and the fallout that occurs as a result.

Would you watch a "Catfish"-style reality series?

Post by:
Filed under: movies • television

1. what a great thing you r doing

i have been online have met some nice people but have had a conection with some who i have never met i am not sure but i do believe they are not real so i have moved onbut i must say it is hard not to think of them and weather they r true r not i am glad u help others keep up the good work

January 25, 2013 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. James

Sounds squimishly awkward (one of those hate-to-watch-but-can't-help-it moments) but I LOVED "Catfish" - way better than The Social Network (maybe because MONEY wasn't/isn't the motivation?)

April 5, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. EmSeeDubayou

I'm more of a trout kind of guy.

April 5, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sun Still Shines

Tom is not a black. My guess is that he is just some guy making a stereotypical statement to get the like minded riled up. From the comments that I am reading, he was successful.

April 5, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. @tom

Where in this story does it say anything about black people? I just don't see it...hmmm ?

April 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Head Diva In Charge

I don't have much of a life so I just watch whatever comes on tv. Yep my name is Head Diva and I don't have a life. I just watch tv. I don't know why I call myself a diva. Divas don't stay home and just watch tv...I must be an ugly, fat and used up diva.

April 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sunshine Girl

Sure Iwould watch it. Gotta be better than the same ole run of the mill tv programming they have now. Has to be better than the bs reality shows were watching now. Really! I think I understand now what they mean when they say 'It doesnt take much to keep an idiot amused.' Just look at the ratings and see how many people are actually watching.

April 4, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kim

Who tells the truth on facebook? I know I dont believe most of the crap on facebook if i never met you I tend not to just trust what is said on some internet social page!! Come on be real there still strangers!

April 4, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rufus Leroy Washington

Haha, dat was funny. If y'all start makin jokes about fried chicken, watermelon, or who my daddy is, I will find you and put you on +' with Al Sharpton and Jessee Jackson, mofo!

April 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sunshine Girl

Another trouble making, race card pulling fool. Somehow those people have to insert it into everything. WOW! Thats why America is the way it is, filled with so much hatred towardseach other. If you want to be considered equal, then quit using that lame excuse for everything. Its old/tiresome/just plain stupid. Besides were sick of it already.

April 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. marcus

I really like fried catfish. Catfish and hushpuppies are good ! Especially with a glass of sweet tea. May i have extrie tartar sauce please ?

April 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The Big Lebowski

Of course if you force me to see you as a black man instead of a man, you have already lost your footing as an equal.

April 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • hmmm

Really, why is that? Because you can't see them as equals? Nice job of outing yourself as a bigot, there.

April 4, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The Big Lebowski

@tom: What part of Africa are you from? If you were born here, you're a plain American. Don't stoop to using liberal group-identifying labels, man. Just be yourself.

April 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Head Diva In Charge

I would watch a reality show based on Catfish. Then again, I watch just about ANY reality series.

April 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. huh

@tom, what are you refering to? Are you refering to this particular story or just any story where are bunch of people make moronic comments?

April 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Julia Lee

Did any of these development people see the doc 'talhotblond?" So much more powerful and harrowing than Catfish. They should be doing something with that movie.

April 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sheryl

What does this have to do with race in the slightest?

I think someone has contracted a mean case of Trollitis!

April 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. EmpBry

Wow. Just wow. I have no idea what your talking about, but I do find your choice for a screename very ironic considering your comment. Know where I'm gong with that?

April 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Thia

The social injustice about facebook? Um....Uncle Tom, do you even know what you are talking about?

April 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. EmpBry

Thanks Thai, that's what I was going for.

April 4, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Emily

Hahahhahaaaha. good one.

April 4, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. AJ

You have got to be kidding me Uncle Tom RACE you BRING Race into this? Is there anything you won't bring race into? How about the color of snow is that too a race thing?

April 4, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Billy

DONT FEED THE TROLL!!!!!!!

April 5, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  24. abc

I think I know what you mean, but the movie and the upcoming reality show are not what you think it is.

April 5, 2011 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  25. Hey Tom

Blah blah blah......you people perpetuate racism by your constant whining about it. Just like the f@gs. If you want to be treated like normal people, act NORMAL. Don't expect special treatment. Your ancestors were slaves, not YOU. After 5 or 6 generations, your kind still cries about reparations and getting even. Isn't that what made it okay for OJ to get away with murder, because blacks were slaves 300 years ago? Your idea of making up for it is getting away with murder, right?

April 5, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  26. Billy Baroo

Leave it to a black to make it a race issue.

April 5, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |