AMC's 'The Killing': So, who killed Rosie?
April 4th, 2011

AMC's 'The Killing': So, who killed Rosie?

[Editor's Note: If you haven't watched "The Killing" yet and you want to, beware: Spoilers below!]

AMC's new series “The Killing” kicked off last night and, just like with any premiere, we spent the bulk of the episode getting to know the characters and watching as the season's subplots began to unfold.

This moody, Seattle-based crime thriller centers around the murder of Rosie Larsen, a high school student who is seen briefly at the beginning of the episode as she attempts to flee from an unknown assailant.

Put on your speculatin’ hats, detectives - we’ve got a lot of ground to cover.

Lifting a page from 1995's “Se7en,” the episode opens with a changing of the guard at the Seattle Police Department as homicide detective Sarah Linden finishes up what was to be her last day on the job. She was all set to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area with her fiancé and sullen teenage son.

But while packing up her office, her successor - Stephen Holder, a former narcotics detective with unorthodox investigative techniques – arrives, and while the two don’t clash outright, the brash Holder meets his match in the focused Linden.

An opportunity for Holder to work his first homicide comes when the two answer a call at an area park. The only clues from the crime scene are a bloody sweater and an ATM card belonging to Stanley Larsen, Rosie’s father. A visit to the Larsen home reveals the family had not seen Rosie since leaving for a weekend camping trip. Friends had not seen the girl since a Halloween party at school on Friday evening.

The Larsens are by all appearances a typical middle-class American family – Stan owns a moving and storage company and works hard to provide for his wife Mitch and their three children. Rosie is a good girl with her sights set on attending college out of state after graduation.

When Rosie is eventually found in the trunk of a vehicle hoisted from the bottom of a lake, a check of the license plate reveals the car is registered to the campaign of Darren Richmond, a city councilman locked in a tight race for mayor against the incumbent Lesley Adams.

Although he seems like a decent enough fellow, Richmond is surrounded by drama of his own, including his relationship with campaign manager Gwen Eaton, some as-yet-to-be-revealed mystery surrounding his late wife and the increasing likelihood of a mole within his campaign.

After a round of preliminary interviews, the suspect at the top of the detectives’ list is Rosie’s sometimes-boyfriend Jasper Ames, who has a previous arrest for car theft. The Richmond campaign car Rosie was found in was also reported stolen. Of course this means we can eliminate Jasper from the pool of possible killers. Is he annoying with entitlement issues? Absolutely. Is he going to be a thorn in our side all season? Probably, but he didn’t kill Rosie. We’re on to you, writers!

After Linden’s effort to coax Rosie’s classmates into offering new information fails, Holder relies on his previous experience working undercover and sticks around to do some digging on campus. After plying a couple of girls on the soccer team with marijuana (I told you his techniques were unorthodox!) they tell him that students often sneak off to the school’s basement to “party.”

Holder scores a newbie victory when he discovers what appears to be the original Larsen crime scene in a section of the basement known as “The Cage.” The scene is chilling: Rosie’s crumpled witch’s hat next to a mattress covered in blood-soaked sheets and a bloody handprint on the dingy basement wall. Detective Linden isn’t going anywhere, it seems.

So, who killed Rosie Larsen? The questions are plentiful for what looks to be another winner for AMC. Was Rosie killed as part of an elaborate set-up of the Richmond campaign, or is the murderer someone on the inside? Was it a classmate or is it someone close to the family? Who bought Rosie the expensive shoes found among her belongings, and why didn’t her parents call to check in on her while they were out of town? Let’s speculate in the comments!

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. Juan

I feel that the walking dead is much better than the killing. way more drama and action. The killing is boring and to drawn out for no reason. I still watch the killing though from time to time just to see. WHEN IT WILL END. END IT ALREADY.

May 19, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. stilljojo

I think the very rich man is mega involved in all of this..the man that gave Richmond the check for 50 grand....but I also suspect there is more than one story line going on in this...I don't think Rosie was supposed to die...I think that was a horrible accident..and think the kids tied her up and put her in the trunk ...but how the car wound up in the water... not sure..

May 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sandra

This show is AWESOME. Each episode shows a day in the investigation and lives of the people involved.... Its so cleaverly done.. if there is such a word. You can watch on AMC.. to catch up. This director is just Awesome.. You feel for the parents, the children who seem to be left out because of the parents greaveing.. The police and how they work.. All of my friends and my family Love this show.

April 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Miri

It reminded me of "Mistic River" so much...

April 8, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Victor Schwartzman

The show was full of surprises. For starters, no car chases or explosions. Also, the show focusses in part on the impact of the death on those who knew the victim–something virtually all US cop shows avoid, as it presumably would make the audience sad. The Holder character in particular was a great surprise, as initally he came across as a doofus. Acting and photography and editing all very good. This will be a show I will continue to watch. It fits with Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Rubicon made the mistake of not resolving paranoid mysteries every few episodes, instead waiting for a end season finale, leaving viewers with the impression that, like the X Files, the writers didn't really know quite where they were going.

April 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tif

I think Stephen Holder killed Rosie. My reasoning is because he was giving pot to High School aged girls. He has this creepy look in his eyes. I think it is an inside job with the police and the Richmond Campaign. However, I can see how the finger would be pointed at the parents, especially since they did not even call their child! This show is so good. I watched it back to back on Sunday.

April 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

I agree with you, I'd probably watch the movie called True Crime starring Alicia Silverstone and Kevin Dillon.... It's a great movie. And similar to The Killing, sort of.

April 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. David Band Sarasota

This is a top show and we place it with Mad Men.

April 5, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bookenz

Linden's finace' did it. You heard it here first.

April 5, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • TheMachine

Bookenz, you said Linden's fiancé' did it???? Is this an inside scope???? He appears to be looking forward to Sarah joining him in San Francisco.

April 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Be Quiet

I'm hooked! The first one was outstanding. I'm glad this show came along, because I need something to tide me over until Breaking Bad (best show on TV) starts again in July.

April 5, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Missing Rubicon

This show will definitely add to AMC's domination in prime time television, but can't believe we have no more Rubicon! The show was incredible.

April 5, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Head Diva In Charge

Who the f- – – k cares!

April 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

Do you have to comment on every single story? Even if you "don't care"?

Get a life and shut up b!tch!

April 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMachine

If you don't care, then why even bother posting anything? SMH!
      How old are you?????? (again, SMH!)

April 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TONI M

I hate to give out a spoiler alert but i have it from authoratative sources it was Tom. I will still keep watching the show though. It is great !

April 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sunshine Girl

David Lynch should just stick to making movies. They are 100 x's better than the lame tv shows he makes. (Twin Peaks). All these shows are dumb. They remind me of those useless CW 20 so.ething shows. Ok if your a mindless zombie.

April 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. TONI M

yeah ! I LOVE ALL THE COOL DOOODIE REFERENCES ON THIS SHOW ! IT ROCKS !

April 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. baby sing

the rich father of the ex boyfriend did it........when he slapped his son in the face and the coroner said she had been hit in the jaw....it just clicked with me. and the fact of the $2000 shoes, and he's rich and probably idonates and is active in the councilman's campaign AND knows his son....well, that's my armchair theory.

April 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alf

Ya, I forgot the shoes. I've named like 5 suspects. I might be able to make a pool out of this at work...

April 5, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
    • TJ

I thought the same thing.....PLUS he owns a lot of waterfront property......he stands to lose a lot if Richmond gets elected.

April 21, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Head Diva In Charge

Twin Peaks did this – it was amazing. But if David Lynch couldn't keep a second season alive enough to lead to a third season then I doubt this show will either. Unless there is a different killing every season.....

April 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. laura palmer?

doesn't anyone remember Twin Peaks? is this just a ripoff?

April 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunny

Twin Peaks had too many crazay plots. This might be similiar but much better.

April 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • twin peaks!

That was my first thought after seeing all the previews! I am surprised nobody else has mentioned it. Even from this review, with the odd parents, the bad-boy boyfriend, and the seemingly-upright-but-hiding-many-secrets politician, it seems very Twin Peaks to me. I guess time will tell.

April 5, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • jesus

The comparison has already been made in several articles leading up to THE KILLING's premiere. The consensus is that the only thing the two shows have in common is a murder and the familiar tag line: "Who Killed _____" TP was a surreal, spacey thing; whereas, TK is obviously gritty and realistic

April 5, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Hank1123

So it's a Twin Peaks rip, the killer will be her father who turns into a freaky white hair guy. Where's the pie? It will all be about the coffee instead of the pie.

April 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tom Tom

I watched the first episode. I will plan to watch the last episode to find out who did it. I will watch the middle episodes if I got time. I will eventually rent the DVD and watch the entire season at once.

April 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Yeah, good idea; watch the ending before you watch of what leads to it - that'll make for suspenseful watching. I've got a better idea, why not just come back here at the end of the season and find out how it ends then, that way you'll save all that time so you can spend more quality hours making dumb comments on these blogs.

April 5, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  19. Harry

Very well acted, especially by Mirielle Enos and Joel Kinnaman. However, with fewer and shorter episodes, The Killing runs only about 55% as long as the Danish original. Much of the detail that makes "Forbrydelsen" feel like a novel and not like a cop show has been collapsed into a few lines or elided altogether from the AMC production. I'll be watching to see if the condensed version finds its footing.

April 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. marcus

I remember that too. I think we was in the cemetary looking for something misterious. I think he was hunting dooodooo !

April 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. rena

I thought it was great ......................can't wait for next week !

April 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. tom

You should be able to view it in yoir toilet anytime between 7 and 9 pm.

April 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sam Spade

the director did it ... hang him ... it'll teach him a lesson.

April 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Krystal

I missed the premiere :(
    Can I catch it somewhere before episode2 airs?

April 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • kelly

they are re-running quite a bit on AMC this week. I think it is also up online on AMC.com

April 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dilly

The episodes "Pilot" and "The Cage" are available On Demand if you have it. That's where I found and watched them last night. (Comcast Sucks – just had to get that out of my system). This is a lot like Twin Peaks with out the creepy element. It's surprising that it is this good and to be yet another feather in AMCs cap. I'm hooked and also look forward to the next season of Walking Dead!

April 5, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

I missed the premiere as well, and caught up on the AMCtv.com site.

April 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Gail

I forgot something...the councilmen and Linden...are they ex husband and wife? I caught him talking to his Blonde side kick and he said something real quickly about his ex wife Linden. They seem to agree on stuff, but she acts real professional with him though if they are ex's....anybody know??? i wasnt sure.

April 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diana

I recall that he was in a cemetary, visiting his wife's grave and the blonde side-kick ( lover) ask him why he didn't talk to her about his wife's death. Don't think there is any connection to the detective except professional.

April 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

Gail, The councilman's wife died (mysteriously) so there's no relationship to detective Linden. I think at 1 point a reference is made to how the councilman can offer consolation to the bereaved family by saying he knows how they feel because he's been there. It leads you to speculate if his late wife was murdered.

April 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  26. lumen

great show. the best in the history of mankind. everyone will love it. mookiestink

April 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Gail

Great Show...very surprised of how it is going to turn out or run!! Lots of potential suspects, of course no one could figure this out right now who did it...i wouldnt think. I agree...way too many commercials, i will dvr all episodes, im not a commercial type of girl. lol. Little confused at the beginning as to what was going on or what was in the sand at the beach. Good Show.

April 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Wanda

Well done, AMC...this show looks to be a winner...good writing, great setting and terrific acting. I'm hooked! Too early to tell and too many mulligans to say who did it, but I'll be checking in every week to find out. My only beef with AMC are the plethora of commercials well into the action. They draw you in with just a few in the first hour, then you're pelted with 3 minutes of action followed by 5 minutes of commercials for the last. Needless to say, we'll be recording the next episodes!

April 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunny

yeah kinda like watching a basketball game where the last 3 minutes of the game is strung along to last 30 minutes with commercials every other second.

April 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Emma

dont know and dont care. AMC is a cruddy channel with cruddy shows.

April 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Obvious troll is obvious

April 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunny

stupid emma

April 4, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Anyone who uses the word "cruddy" likely has about a 4th-grade education, so don't give the troll much thought.

April 5, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • JB!

Yeah! Emma is a stupid head!

April 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Emma – Why don't you go to the AMC website and watch the show... I'm not a Breaking Bad fan, but Walking Dead and The Killing are both amazingly awesome shows. Maybe, instead of jumping to snap judgements, you should give these shows a chance and you'll be pleasantly surprised...

April 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMachine

If you don't care, then why bother posting anything? It just doesn't make ANY sense.
      SMH