Getting 'Mobbed' with emotions
April 1st, 2011

Getting 'Mobbed' with emotions

Since I blog about "American Idol," my television was already set to Fox on Thursday night.

After the "drama" of the elimination of two contestants, I was too tired to reach for the remote to change the channel, so I got sucked into a special hosted by Howie Mandel called "Mobbed."

The show uses the concept of flash mobs, where hundreds of folks show up spontaneously for a single event. In this case, a guy named Justin wanted to propose to his girlfriend of three years, Nikki.

It seems that the pair have had their ups and downs, and even though Justin moved across the country to be with her, Nikki didn't appear to totally trust him. Justin hopes that by staging such a huge spectacle, Nikki will finally realize that she is "the one."

Enter host Howie Mandel, who figures that taking over a Glendale, California mall with hidden cameras, hundreds of people dancing to "Everlasting Love" and a proposal isn't enough. How about they throw a full-fledged surprise wedding?

To make it even more interesting, they set up a little scenario where an actress playing one of Justin's ex-girlfriends shows up to cause a scene, throw a drink in his face and send Nikki into a fit of hysterics.

Security leads Justin away while one of the participants explains to Nikki that it's all going to be OK as a piano man starts crooning. Suddenly, folks are dancing in the restaurant and she's confused and a little bit amused.

Once led outside, there is a full-on Bollywood-style production (over 1000 people solicited by Fox, including professional dancers, showed up) to thrill Nikki with moves choreographed by married choreographers Napoleon and Tabitha D'Umo from the hit Fox series  "So You Think You Can Dance."

I have to admit, I felt every ounce of Nikki's joy as she laughed, clapped and cried. Then the moment happened – the sea of people parted and there was Justin, dressed in a tux and ready to propose.

Of course she says yes, but then the big question comes: "Since we are already here, why don't we just get married now?" After a split second of "will she or won't she," Nikki agrees to cheers all around.

But it still wasn't over. Justin has had Nikki's best friends flown in from Chicago and they all run out wearing matching bridesmaid's dresses. As a dancer slips a wedding gown over Nikki's head, the bride-to-be is instructed to "Watch your man" before Justin and his groomsman break into a little routine to the Chris Brown song "Forever."

By this point I am a bawling mess, as is Nikki, who especially loses it on the walk down the aisle when she sees that their entire family has been gathered. Awwww!

No word yet if Fox will pick up "Mobbed" as a regular show for next season, but if they do, count me in as a viewer.

UPDATE 4/1 5:45 p.m. – Deadline reports that Fox has picked up "Mobbed" as a series after Thursday night's show drew drew 10.8 million viewers. According to Deadline, the show scored the largest audience and the highest 18-49 retention for a reality show airing after "American Idol" in two years.

1. Lucy

So, are they still married.... Do a show on that.

August 28, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lien tom

I will give him 20 dollars for it.

June 21, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Michael Ray Bower

If there is one thing American & Aggressive people need is moments like this show delivered -yes howie pulled some mean cruel jokes but in producing a show that is remembered and amazing –you need to develop charectors and have the audience love them & laugh with them & cry with them -in order to care about them -thats what howie did he played with her emotions to bring her emotional self to a state of my life is over & we hurt for her seeing her tears –but when all was revealed she started to realize something was not right and we saw the realness from her -cause she was in a heigtened state –and it was an amazing journey through the world of song & dance & lost & love & family –regardless of the methods to get there
    i cheered & cryed for every moment --nikki & justin were the realest people ive ever seen on tv –thanks to Howie Tucking at our core–

it was a disney like prince & princess moment that any body with a heart who has not giving up on life would truly die for -AMAZING

April 11, 2011 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. edu

I would be freaked out if my boyfriend did that to me. Though it would be touching to know he did all that for me, what if she planned on dumping him that night? It would be very turtle.

April 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Olivia

Absolute Fan...i was just watching last weeks episode i missed of american idol and thought hey wasnt that mobbed show on? and so that let me to here and man that was so amazing she is the luckiest girl alive and deserves every ounce of it she is so genuine.. i like the fact they pick random down to earth real familiys for the show and not people already involved in the business it makes it hit home for me... i wish that was me lol!! it had me in tears cant wait for the next one anyone know when that will be?

April 4, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mia

This was a very cute show but I think it will only work well with happy news – I can't imagine how this would play out with bad news.

April 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gabriel Berk Esquire

We look forward to more great things from this group of Stars.

April 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Big Lebowski

Spontaneous? Give me a break. Took weeks of planning. More Hollywood bullsh!t designed to tug at your heartstrings for the sake of ratings. BOGUS!!

April 3, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Alan

So it is good that she was "mobbed" into making one of the most important decisions of her life. If she was not sure about him, how does this change anything about that? The will probably be divorced in about 6 months when ironically "reality" sets in.

April 3, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Alan they have been married 8 months and going strong. don't go to vegas you will lose your butt making perdictions

April 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mar

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! The level of spontaneous emotion is amazing. I felt Niki's anxiety (girl with water), sense of adventure when the dancing started, her OMG to see Justin in his tux, and near hysterical happiness in the idea of getting married on the spot, seeing her friends, and then all of both families and finally, the wedding. I bought it all hook, line and sinker and can't wait for the next episode. Congrats on a GREAT concept. Really looking forward to the others.....

April 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Targeted Individual

Watch a Pre-January 8th copy of Inception. Listen closely when the actors say imagine, reality, and safe, or point pistols. You'll hear the words, Loughner, offin' her, part of the word Giffords, and much more. Some say they hear, do it.

April 3, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bill & Ted

Dudes, we don't think so. Howie does look kinda creepy these days; wonder if he's secretly a Scientologist or something.

April 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sasha

bawled like a baby the second half. Although I think they could have skipped the other woman joke. People need to tell Howie NO.

April 2, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. Cat Eyes

Flash mobs aren't anything new, so I really dont understand all the hype. I think Howie Mandel is creepy. Ill never watch this show if he's going to be the host. He just gives me the creeps/willies/chills, whatever you might want to call it. I call it gross.

April 2, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. JessieVA

I liked the episode. It'll be interesting to see if it can hold its own with other scenarios like "I'm having your baby". We'll see.

April 1, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. BC

They deprived this very nice young lady the joy of planning and anticipating her own wedding, then threw her into an unbuttoned wedding dress costume! But as long as Howie and Fox made a buck, what does it matter.

April 1, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Head Diva In Charge

I need to get la id tonight

April 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Cindy

I loved the show. I think the girl that threw the water in Justin's face was a little too mean of joke to play on Nikki, but other than that I think it was wonderful! I think that if Nikki's parents and Justin must have known Nikki well enough to know she would be okay getting married right on the spot.

April 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. George

Dear Howie,
    First of all let me say that you have a very nice personality and I have enjoyed watching the shows that you appear on. Second let me say that the mob marriage that you orchestrated last night was beautiful and even brought tears to my eyes. However, the jealousy sequence was misguided psychotherapy that used the boyfriend to inflict emotional pain and public humiliation. The boyfriend effectively helped beat her down and then offered her 'candy' and said "see, I'm not such a bad guy". Personally, I don't find hurting other people entertaining. But I think that your show has such incredible human potential that I'm very hopeful to enjoy it in the future.

April 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lovesthedancing

I LOVED the show! I couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face and the tears flowed freely. What a great "feel good" show! I'll watch every episode we are blessed with!

April 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. bunnyy

I like Howie Mandel... he has some crazy ideas and this one is right up there. Flash Mobs have become the rage in some parts of the world, so it is no wonder a tv station picked up on it. It could be good if they use the right situations, it could be a disaster if they get too commericial.. I would love to see a flash mob flare up for someone to quit their job, or ask for a divorce... they have to keep it interesting.. cannot always be flowers and sunshine to be fun ..

April 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. SimplySandy

I wasn't going to watch it, even after all the hype that was being shown. But my curiosity got the better of me and I watched and cried, laughed, cried some more! It really tugged at my emotions..Nikki's expressions, I felt, were real and heartfelt and dragged me into the whole mobbed scene! However, I don't think I would watch a weekly series as the concept would grow old fast.

April 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Superhiro

Meh, fine. My initial comment was harsh, still, it just sounds extremely corny.

April 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Head Diva In Charge

This was utter garbage. It just makes us bitter single gals more bitter. And of course, I say that with a knowing smile....

April 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • bunnyy

"bitter single gal" means you will never ever find yourself in a situtation like that... even with a knowing smile

April 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Suzanne

I watched the show as well last night and my whole family was clued to the set my 4 daughters absolutely loved it and my the 13 year old said she can't wait for the next one. The where bursting with happiness for the bride. A wedding to be remembered as definitely monumental

April 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Superhiro

Sounds like utter garbage. If you let this fake crap pull your emotions around you're just weak.

April 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conrad Shull

Please hesitate with the condemnation if you didn't see it. I watched it with an initially jaded eye that also turned weepy. It was very romantic. Very.

April 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MC

I nearly bawled my eyes out. The show definitely has another viewer.

April 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. dumbdumbsumb!

OMG this was the Worst!!! I am tired of reality shows. I watch 2 minutes of it and I was over it!

April 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. GW Snark

Amazing how many ways the TV producers can package crap; even more amazing, people watch it!

April 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Mark

I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. It was great.

April 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. s

It makes sense if you watched the show.

April 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Tronik

I thought the first 30 minutes were slow and boring. But in the latter half, I found myself being more emotional than I thought I'd be when it actually happened. I'd probably watch another episode.

April 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. linder

aenae = sense : ) i am a fumbliefingerz : )

April 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. linder

What in the world is this blog about. I read that stuff printed above and it doesnt make any aenae at all.

April 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |