Franco: Maybe I had 'low energy' at Oscars
April 1st, 2011

Franco: Maybe I had 'low energy' at Oscars

After being criticized by Oscars viewers, James Franco is finally speaking out about his hosting gig, saying that perhaps he was a little too "low energy."

On tonight's "Late Show With David Letterman," Franco tells the talk-show host that many people thought he was stoned during the ceremony.

"People said I was under the influence," says the actor. "I've thought about it. I think I know why: I love her, but Anne Hathaway is so energetic, I think the Tasmanian Devil would look stoned standing next to Anne Hathaway. She has a lot of energy!"

All kidding aside, Franco says, "Truthfully, I haven't watched it back. Maybe I had low energy. I honestly played those lines as well as I could."

The "127 Hours" star —who will teach a directing course at NYU—adds that he never intended to go down in history as the best Oscars host anyway.

"It was never on my list of things to do," he tells Letterman. "It doesn't mean I didn't care and it doesn't mean I didn't try hard, right? But here's the hypocritical thing: Leading up to the Oscars, I couldn't hear enough about how, 'Oh, people don't care about the Oscars anymore, it's dead, it's old, it's at the end of a long awards season, who cares about it?' Well, as soon as you don't host the way they want you to, they suddenly care and they won't shut up about it! Suddenly, I can't hear enough about a show they don't care about!"

1. New Havenite

Um, hello? How many of you guys are enrolled in a PhD program at Yale like Franco is. I'm pretty sure you can't be high and do all the work that's required. I know from friends who are there that he isn't getting special treatment. He still has to read something like 1000 pages a week and write papers and stuff IN ADDITION to his involvement with NYU, AND his acting gigs. Flying back to LA to do the Oscars was probably the least of his worries. His only mistake might have been agreeing to host the show in the first place. He must have been exhausted.

April 29, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. The Big Lebowski

Franco my boy! Mix me another White Russian and roll up another phattie. Time to go bowling!

April 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Shop

@Targeted Individual. Give up your GPS coordinates. We can paint a laser target on your position that will take care of your worries once and for all.

April 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Targeted Individual

Watch a Pre-January 8th copy of Inception. Listen closely when the actors say imagine, reality, and safe, or point pistols. You'll hear the words, Loughner, offin' her, part of the word Giffords, and much more. Some say they hear, do it.

April 3, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Arnold Ziffle

And they're letting this stoner clown tach at a university? What course? "How to Bullsh!t Your Way Through Life with No Real Talent"?

April 3, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Al Sharptongue

a car battery to the test!cles always woks for me.

April 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sassie

Red Bull & Vodka for that low energy feeling :)

April 2, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. yeah

yeah

April 2, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lola

I noticed he was low energy in my mouth last nite.

April 2, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Superhiro

He didn't act high enough for the Oscars to be entertaining though.

April 1, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sunshine Girl

Sure he got high before the show. Thought he could handle it, and noone would notice. WRONG! Should've saved that last hit for after the show....He's a no brained idiot.

April 1, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bill & Ted

Golly, dudes we're stoned! Bill's mom made brownies.... and that's how they make 'em in Humboldt County! What were we talkin' about?

April 1, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ELLA

Why doesnt anyone watch the daily show on the comedy channel ? Franco talked all abouth this before the oscars. He wasnt overly thrilled with being the host but was told as long as he doesnt make fun of everyone like Ricky Gervais did on that other award show it would be ok. They told him to just not worry about it. To just stand there and be kind of bland and everyone would like him. He said those producing the academy awards told him this. He said this in his interview weeks before the oscars. He did what they asked him to do. He did ok.

April 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ELLA

Hes got a puuuuuurty mooouth.

April 1, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Superhiro

Who says golly these days for that matter?

April 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tard

Golly, who would go on Letterman these days?

April 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. K

Maybe that he was embarrassed to be next to Anne, who is an atrocious actor and was behaving like the over-enthusiastic kid from your high school drama class who muttered "Unique New York" all the time and took breathing exercises way too seriously. She's crap and Franco did what he was supposed to do: inch away slowly.

April 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Yes! Perfectly stated. He is beautiful and she is beyond irritating.

April 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bill & Ted

We know, dudes! We were there backstage with Charli Sheen. Gave ol' Franco a shotgun off a phattie of epic Hawaiian kush right before he walk out! Dude was stoned as a football bat!

April 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. www.monogrammedeverything.com

He was definitely high

April 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Superhiro

I honestly think he just didn't care too much about hosting the oscars, and I personally would've tried to get as high as humanly possible before hosting that snorefest.

April 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. GW Snark

In his own words, "I honestly played those lines as well as I could". That's his best effort folks. Another amazing moron who garners great accolades for not much of anything in particular.

April 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • tickle me elmo

He did play Harvey Milk, Alan Ginsberg and receive a legit oscar nod – he's not a total no talent chump by a mile – but yeah he was stoned as could be at the Oscars. And BTW – anyone who lights up before hosting the oscars – for good or bad – has balls of steel....

April 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Paul

What a tool. When will he stop blaming other people for his suckiness? First it was the Oscar writers and now it's Anne Hathaway? Hey, James, how about just admitting that you are an overrated CHARISMA VACUUM?

April 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  23. AER

I adore James Franco. He doesn't play kiss up to the hollywood "elite" but instead does his own thing unapologetically. I wish other actors and artists would be like him, their job isn't to please these west coast a holes, it's to be individual, creative entertainers. More power to him.

April 1, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  24. linder

I agree with you 100 percent. He is as bland as he is uninteresting. BLAAAAH !

April 1, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  25. telly

Franco is so unimportant that folks dont even bother making fun of him. He is a loooooooozer.

April 1, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  26. telly

He was tard out from drinking weeenie juice all night.

April 1, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  27. Amyday

"Well, as soon as you don't host the way you want to, they suddenly care and they won't shut up about it! Suddenly, I can't hear enough about a show they don't care about!"

I completely agree!

Who cares if he wasn't up to your standards. It's not like you bad him.

April 1, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

I agree. This topic has been beat to death! He is an actor not a host or public speaker. Believe it or not, there is a difference. Getting up in front of hundreds of people isn't easy. So that isn't his area of expertise. Geez! I say leave the may be.

April 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

I meant to write, "leave the MAN be". Thought I should clarify before the typo Nazis start commenting. :-)

April 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. emma

Isnt he dating BIlly Joel these days ?

April 1, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. Head Diva In Charge

"Low energy", that is all he could come up with? The thing is, he is a dead pan actor....but hosting the Oscars he should have stepped out of his comfort zone a bit.

April 1, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |