Rob Lowe: Charlie Sheen could play harder than me 'by a nose'
March 30th, 2011

Rob Lowe: Charlie Sheen could play harder than me 'by a nose'

Rob Lowe, presumably recounting one of the stories he only tells his friends – as the title of his soon-to-be-released autobiography suggests – tells Vanity Fair in the magazine’s May issue that the Charlie Sheen he grew up with was one of the “uncool” guys, like him.

“The cool girls in Malibu had no time for me,” the handsome actor tells VF. “I wasn’t a beach volleyball player, a surfer, or a quasiburnout.”

Read more from Rob Lowe's Vanity Fair interview

But by 1987, Sheen and Lowe were young Hollywood stars, with Lowe filming “Masquerade” in the Hamptons as Sheen put in work on “Wall Street.”

“We competed to see who could play harder, then show up for work and still kick ass,” Lowe remembered. “The verdict: Charlie by a nose.”

In his book, Lowe recalls Sheen as “one‐of‐a‐kind … a Polo preppy clotheshorse in a world of O.P. shorts and surf T‐shirts” and “a wonderful mix of nerd … and rebel,” and also recounts meeting Tom Cruise, who was a house guest at the Sheen home way back when.

Cruise, Lowe says, was “open, friendly, funny, and has an almost robotic, bloodless focus and an intensity that I’ve never encountered before.” Even then, Lowe writes, Cruise was “already showing traits that will make him famous; he’s zeroed in like a laser.”

Retrospective: Elizabeth Taylor's timeless beauty

Of course, after the ‘80s stardom came some rough patches for Lowe, but that was followed by more work - this time on the smaller screen. The actor is currently starring on the cult favorite NBC comedy, “Parks and Recreation.”

Through it all, Lowe tells Vanity Fair he has no regrets.

“The Brat Pack is timeless,” Lowe says. “We should all be so lucky in our lives to create things that we’re still talking about 25 years later.”

The issue, which features an excerpt from Lowe's "Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography," hits newsstands April 5.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Poetry

I'll right away seize your rss feed as I can't to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you've any? Please allow me know in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

August 25, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. muscaria

Hi there, You've done an incredible job. I'll definitely digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this website.

April 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dillon

he was on jimmy kimmel last night. what a great interview

May 10, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Targeted Individual

Watch a Pre-January 8th copy of Inception. Listen closely when the actors say imagine, reality, and safe, or point pistols. You'll hear the words, Loughner, offin' her, part of the word Giffords, and much more. Some say they hear, do it.

April 3, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Carrie

I can't believe he looks so good; it was 1985 when he was so gorgeous in "St. Elmo's Fire." Compare a photo of him then and this one. I don't think he has had any work done either! Whenever I see him I think the most he looks older than his Billy Hixx character is 10-12 years, not 26!!!!! Same goes for John Stamos; interesting, I just noticed Lowe and Stamos have similar eyes and mouth.

Now go to IMDB.com and enter "Top Gun.", which came out in 1986. Take a look at what the actors from then look like now. Tom Cruise still looks young for his age, but the photo of him and Kelly McGillis – she looks like his mom and Val Kilmer (what the heck happened to him) looks like he could be Tom's drunken UNCLE. Rob's photo and those of the Top Gun cast now are both ringing endorsements for not letting yourself go.

March 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ned smith

Lauren and Haley are "average" singers. How do the judges NOT see this. Scotty has to go. Everyone picks on Naima, but she brings a "fresh", creative approach each week. Scotty turns "Motown and Elton" into Country! Sorry Scotty fans, but he has to go. Idol is about SINGING, and the 2 best SINGERS are JACOB and PIA. Honestly, who truly sings better than those 2?? Correct? Hopefully, if America comes thru, tonite we will say good-bye to Lauren and Haley

March 31, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bill & Ted

Dude, we partied with those dudes once, Rob was passed out by 1am, but we caught the sunrise with Carlos. We had to bail, but Charlie just took a shower, had some joe, and was ready to work! Winner! A true party monster like no other!

March 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Head Diva In Charge

So Rob Lowe has mad all the right changes in his life. To bad Carlos can't do the same.......

And really – what is it with the double......

March 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol (@ Head Diva)

Probably a bored kid that looks up to you while at the same time going around trying to trash your name when he is actually rather pathetic.

March 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Head Diva In Charge

OOOOOOOO I JUST LOVE ROB LOWE ! He is soo cute !

March 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |