March 29th, 2011

Ten things to know about Dr. Drew

Dr. Drew Pinsky is in the house - HLN's house, to be specific.

The man known for taking celebrities to task for their addictions on "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" will examine extreme human behavior and why it happens on his new HLN show, "Dr. Drew."

In honor of his arrival, we give you 10 things about the doc that you may have not known before:

1. He went to Amherst College and studied liberal arts before going to medical school. “I love everything about the human experience," Pinsky told Robin Meade in an interview, "and addiction is such a wild window into the human experience.”

2. He is an opera singer and at one point wanted to go professional. “That’s what I thought I was gonna do for five minutes. Thank God I’m a horrible musician," he admitted. "Good singer, horrible musician.”

3. He has an asteroid named after him.

4. He gets his energy from Diet Coke and power peanut butter. "Body builder peanut butter," Pinsky explained. "Made out of egg whites.”

5. He sang a show tune with Seth MacFarlane at a Haitian relief concert. "I had never sung with an orchestra, so that was awesome," he said.

6. He can get by on little sleep. “When he has a job to do he just doesn’t need sleep," his wife Susan said. "I have to make sure that they don’t accidentally book him 24 hours a day 3 days in a row."

7. He and Susan have triplets, Douglas, Jordan and Paulina, all of whom will be attending college in the Fall. “I’m freaked out," Pinsky said. "I guess they would [call me an] anxious dad because I am pretty anxious about the college thing for them.”

8. He was the captain of his high school football team.

9. During his teen and young adult years, he was a lifeguard at Laguna Beach.

10. He uses the internet, Facebook and Twitter more than his children do. “It’s like a little teenage girl,” his daughter Paulina said. "Sorry dad."

The "Dr. Drew" show premieres Monday, April 4 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on HLN.

1. susan

Think Ur right how old is Ur kid or kid u Still wanna be with her she young n hopefully this makes her want this more when was the last u romantanced her she needs to feel Like she theonly1 for u did u cheat on UR kid x ? be honest

May 10, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. Theresa Lovato

I'm watching the episode "Dad jailed for inciting son to fight bully" My grandaughter was suspended from school yesterday for punching a boy that has been bullying her for several months along with HIS friends. The boy has been calling her nasty names everyday. I heard the father say it was changing his son. I know that feeling, because my grandaughter also was withdrawing. My daughter and son inlaw have been at school some many times I can't count. He was not suspended because he didn't hit her. All the school can say is that he comes from a troubled home. Does that give him the right to use that kind of language.. I'm a bit confused about this poor man going to jail. Yes he was wrong, but enough is enough. Sometimes as parents we get fed up. The bully starts it and when the kid has had enough and the parent is finally glad it might be over. Give the man a break!

April 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. James

Article mentions he studied liberal arts and went to med school. Did he finish and become a M.D. or is he another Dr.Laura, Dr.Phil head shrink that amounts to nothing?

April 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PATurmel

He can't define 'addiction' but goes on TV to tell us stories he made up in his head.
    Addiction - effects of a drug (harm or torture) until that drug is consumed again.

March 31, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bill & Ted

We gave up on the news years ago. We like to watch cartoons with the sound off and listen to music while doing bong hits. That's entertainment!

March 30, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Michele

Fox = Truth. LOL What a joke. I watched only FOX for several years, from the moment my husband was deployed at the start of the war. For a long time I believed that FOX was fair and balanced. It has definitely changed, it has been worse and worse since 2008. I am no longer a fan. If you want dont want to have to think for yourself and world rather have Glenn Beck and Hannity do it for you then Fox news is for you.

March 29, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Head Diva In Charge

I don't agree with any of your comments.

March 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tamralynn717@yahoo.com

Just wrote a long blog! As usual it got erased . Dr. Drew will never read if anyway , wow I need a life!!!

March 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Superhiro

Let's be fair here. All mainstream news, FOX, MSNBC and CNN included are biased and unreliable. None of them are really that much better than the other.

March 29, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. www.monogrammedeverything.com

Watched him on Loveline as a teen...the guy isn't aging. It's kind of weird...but he's pretty entertaining.

March 29, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Hugh Gifsaschitt

JR, hate to break it to ya: CNN = Liberal Spin, FOX = Unvarnished Truth. Don't trust just one source of info. Check it out for yourself!

March 29, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. JR

I watch CNN or MSNBC at 7:00 and I feel pretty good about the the world. At 8:00 I flip on FOX for 5 minutes and I feel like crap again. I'm looking forward to Dr.Drew next week. The guy is really smart with lots of common sence.Maybe I can get a bit smarter for watching TV for once.

March 29, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. Number 11

Who gives a rip. This show wont last...should be in the crapper before August.

March 29, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |