'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is Britney Spears better than ever?
March 29th, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is Britney Spears better than ever?

Britney Spears’ album "Femme Fatale" is out today, but some aren't that impressed. Critics are claiming that Britney hasn't fully recovered from her breakdown four years ago, and that her performances just aren't the same. But others say that’s nonsense – she’s doing just fine.

I think the singer is just getting her feet wet again, so the jury is still out. I think we need to give her a little time. I do wish Britney would do something a little different this time around to reflect where she is in her life. We know she can wear skimpy costumes and dance. But I want to see something different – maybe something more personal, more mature.

What do you think? Is Britney Spears better than ever? Post your comments below.

Other big stories we are fired up about today on the show…

Katie Holmes speaks to "Showbiz Tonight" about her “Kennedys” miniseries controversy, and there's the deadly cobra that tweets! Plus, Beyonce has fired her dad as her manager, but why?

See you on "Showbiz Tonight" at 5 p.m. ET and again at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN today!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. nattz

no, she isnt better cause she lost the brightness in her personality she is like a robot she only says thank u, i love u guys and thats all... in the past used to be more happy and charming and you can see it in the past interviews before 2008,
    I love her and her music but i feel she lost something in her personality

April 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nacho

I think she is ok! She can dance as 5 or 6 years ago. Bacuse she is under psychiatric treatment and this affects the time to dance on stage. I watched a video called "Illuminati Rebellion: It Will Cost You Your Life" wich its explain britney's life .. i think its well explain video . Watch it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF9pOdVPcDs

April 1, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. DAVID

I THINK SHE IS OK. SHE IS BEAUTIFUL.

March 31, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

La verdad es común que la gente quiere que Britney que haga todo PERFECTO. Lo que no entienden es que ella es humana, madre y ya no tiene 23 años. Hay que destacar que a pesar de sus altos y bajos SIEMPRE que regresa es dueña de todos los charts!
    Dejen de criticarla tanto y disfruten de su nuevo album que es el mejor si dudas! y ella sigue siendo la persona mas dulce y simpatica de todo el mundo. Ella esta hermosa no esta gorda, si ella es gorda ¿Cómo se sentirian las personas que realmente lo son? Dejen de querer dar un ejemplo de mujer anorexica!
    Quiero que sepan que la única sucesora de Madonna es Britney.

March 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bocephus

booiinnggg!!!!

March 30, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mike

if you seen her performance on Jimmy Kimmel last night you would have not made the statement that she can dance. She has lost it in more ways than one. I wanted to see her make a comeback, but to be quite honest, its not there anymore.

March 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Allison

BRITNEY SPEARS IS BETTER THAN EVER!!!!!
    AMAZING ALBUM!!!
    #1 on iTunes!!!!
    THE QUEEN OF POP!

March 30, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. didimark

I think Brittany's in pretty good shape, and I would have been happy to look like her at 29. I also think she's determined to "sing" on stage now rather than lip-sync – probably a result of all the negative flak she got after someone recorded the feed through her microphone while she was out dancing and "singing" at a concert. Because she is determined to sing, she has to keep the dancing to a minimum – like most singers do.

Brittany is a pop princess – she sings pop music and there's no point in expecting anything different. It's interesting how much of her new press tries to paint her as a "perfectionist" who really cares about her singing. That was not at all the image that anyone tried to project for her in the past. Maybe it's true and kudos to Brittany if it is.

March 30, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gimme A Break

Constructive Star Critic: It's obvious to us you have no real taste in music. Celine Dion? Michael Jackson? you probably like rap, too. What a loser! Iron Maiden and Metallica RULE!

March 30, 2011 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Constructive Star Critic

Yeah sure, look who's talking what are you doing here, this area is for Britney not for your tasteful Noise you call music and happens to be forgotten in limbo with you and your irrelevant androgynous bands, how old are you 50? If i had such a bad taste Celine Dion would have sold out concert in Vegas or MJ, unlike your minority bands are just for red-necks like you might understand, Get a life and stop sending inflammatory messages grow up and learn to respect others, who am I kidding you have no idea what that means lmao

March 30, 2011 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Quickie Mexican Divorce

Silicon Dion...what an over-rated, egotesticle wretch. She would make the Pope curse.

March 30, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Celine Dionne, Michael Jackson, and Britney Spers.

The trifecta of useless pop garbage. Vanilla Ice sold records too, and he sucked just as much as those three. You might as well announce to the world how awesome Milli Vanilli, New Kids on the Block, and Tiffany are.

Derp!!

March 30, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Happy Acres Rehab Clinic

Britney, sweetie, what are you doing in the spotlight so soon? You need to come back and finish your treatments. You can't just quit horse tranquizers and twinkies cold turkey! You might act strangely

!

March 29, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Willow

happu = happy : )

March 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Willow

CSC that is the longest post i have ever seen on here. Gosh ! We hope you and everyone else has a happu evening. P.S. honestly it really wouldnt hurt Britney to loose about 40 pounds and tone up if she is going to be on stage in those skimpy costumes.

March 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Constructive Star Critic

Weight is irrelevant she looks great but moves like a granny lol, although i must say I went to JKL concert and she did way better so maybe was to early to move her legs at GMA, but she still needs to step it up.

March 30, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. symone

Lol she mite be better this time lol j/p lol hell after tht damn break dnw she had four years ago idk wht to think now hell if she is better bt for how lng tho

March 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bill & Ted

Constructive Star Critic; you'd make a great politician. You went on and on, convinced of the importance of your message, and said absolutely nothing of value!

March 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Constructive Star Critic

I differ with your but respect your opinion, maybe wasn't of value to you but it was to many, g-luck

March 30, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

"maybe wasn't of value to you but it was to many"

Really?

Who?

March 30, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. WOLFMAN

WOE TO THOSE WHO THINK NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

March 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. WOLFMAN

BRITNEY I BELIEVE IN YOU AND BLOW OFF NEGATIVE ENERGIESSSS ITS STARTS FROM THERE ALTHOUG SOON I SHALL GIVE YOU KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO BEAT NEGATIVE ENERGIES THIS MEANs satanism BEHOLD I SHALL ERADICATE NAZIS AND THEE CHURCH OF pathetic loserrrrrrrr satan.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. WOLFMAN

BRITNEY IS A BEAUTIFUL HUMAN BEING WHO HAS SUFFERED GREATLY AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII SHALL RESTOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

March 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. madhater

I get stupider everytime I read these idiotic comments.

March 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. madhater

MJ is a p.o.s.so is Britney!

March 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Constructive Star Critic

Okay listen up you guys, this is what I've deducted from this morning's GMA mini Brit-concert, First of I have to say that although I grew up with Britney and her music if you know what I mean ( like from feeling her pain on difficult times to understanding the severity of them, to seeing her recover from all quite nicely), what I don't understand though, is that her loved manager don't have the guts to face reality and makes a decision in order to create a show around Britney that doesn't require any skillful dancing. Britney has no stamina anymore, when interviewed she could care less about addressing to all of us devoted fans that buy her records in minutes. I love Britney as a person but she seems quite uninterested when speaking to us. Her words are plain flat, they really aren't meant at all, they are just spoken out loud because she has been asked for them. That I am sad and disappointed about very much so, what is more painful to see is how slow she moves, she is only 29 not 89! So why another concert full of weak dancing and tons of serious wobbling moves? at say... thousands of dollars for VIP seating? I rather to pay high amounts like that for Celine Dion's Awesome Concert even when she is just walking around and interacting on the stage with all her fans, at least I know she cares that you have a great experience instead of Britney's to be honest. So sorry, it hurts a lot to say that, because Celine is not from my generation but she puts an awesome show despite how old she gets. All of us are, have and will be cheering for Britney for sure but so can't she see? Can she understand how loved she is? Does she even care? Does anyone care? the answer is NO, we rather to keep the great Britney where she belongs yeah " in the great Past" we all know this is what we have left of her and so we just enjoy and imagine that she actually could move again like before. When she is on stage swinging her hair or like Willow Smith says "...whipping her hair back and forth..." we get excited because we hope she might strike those Brit-killer-moves but no is just wishful thinking. Do I like her new Album? Oh yeah! Best Britney's album ever! she definitely matured melodically but like everything in life "actions are louder than words" in this case the music can be awesome but when Britney intends to act she falls into a pit of despair and disappointment. Please someone get her a good choreographer that understands that she is a lovely mom who once danced her brains and legs off and, now she just can't match that and need to be taught new routines that make her look better than what whomever has trained her now. Her figure is great for a mom, her looks still there, her voice still there too! so what the H?! fix us some good show! and stop those bunch of great dancers, expensive lights and productions! Instead of getting a great cake we get a greatly, beautifully decorated cake that is dried and insipid. SADDENED is how I feel. Honestly please, How do you guys truly feel? ... I am not here to say bad things about Britney because I still love her but I can't deny what I feel or lie about it either. I'm here to give my CONSTRUCTIVE opinion based on what Britney the awesome disciplined star, the once skillful dancer phenomenon she really was. And how terrible she is now and I can say that confidently because I was a fan that saved money to go to every and anything that she was on, I was one of the thousands who experienced every VIP seating concert, every TV show performance, every DVD, every song, every interview, every scandal, every penny spend solely for her. Now I'm not sure if I'll ever want to go to this concert, Lady Gaga is by far the best NEW young performer that makes you feel what Michael Jackson once did, Old Britney did, N'Sync did, BSB did at some point in time. Sad, Sad, Sad. thanks for reading and hope you understand tell me your honest views. -CSC

March 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  21. doright

I like Brittany and hope that she can get it together. Her performace today was good, not great and lacked the sharpness of previous vidoes. I do wish she would sing live instead of lipsynching. I attended a concert in the Opps.... tour and she only sang one song live and it was good but she was a bit out of breath. It seems singers today can't perform a song without dancing and I think that's sad. For her fans I wish her well, for those who don't like her music, fortuantely there are many other artists to choose from.

March 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. RollTheDice

I have no use for her. Her fans can have her!

March 29, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. taylor

She looks horrible. FAT FAT FAT. I am a fan and say this because it is the truth.

March 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. EM

I saw her last night on E! and she was really blaah. She wasnt really dancing. She just kind of stood up then sat down alot of times. I dont mean to be mean but she has relly gotten thick around the middle. If she lost about 30 pounds she would look better and probably have better luck with her dancing.

March 29, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Superhiro

Really HeadDiva? Britney always came off as very plain to me. Like you can walk down any old street and find someone as attractive as her.

March 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Head Diva In Charge

Well I don't care who agree with me or not but not only do I sing along to her muisc I won't mind spending a night with her since I'm bi and proud of it! We can share the wealth :)

March 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Baihly

Britney is Better than EVEr. you haters should really go see her in concert it is fricken amazing and i would never miss a concert when she comes to my city. love her n always will

March 29, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Britney just sucks

Then YOU need to raise your standards. She is a mental midget. Nothing more. No wonder Enrique pulled out of touring with her after watching her on GMA. I wouldn't want to be seen at the mall with her much less associating my name on a tour with her.

March 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Chris

musically i think she's really growing and putting out great stuff. as a diehard fan, of course i'll be the first to admit girl isn't putting into the performance as she used to. she's lethargic and doesnt seem to be feeling it, comfortable, stable enough, plus all of the above. britney spears is britney spears-i think in the studio she's on top of it. she sounds (albeit autotuned 90% of the time to an inch of her life) much more energetic than she did on Circus, and on tracks like "He About To Lose Me" she sounds as good as she did when she first came out (in terms of being able to deliver vocally on her level). is she the best singer? no. can she dance like she used to? no, and like i said this is coming from a diehard fan. but does she keep putting out amazing pop music? hell yes.

March 29, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Superhiro

Really? Feels like I've seen more about her "contemporary"(Aguilera) lately and hardly anything about Britney aside from this blog post.

March 29, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. james

after 13 years brit brit is still revalent unlike her contemporaries who came out same time and after her.oolol..no 1 expected this

March 29, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bill & Ted

We also agree with Diva, dudes. She's about as good as Madonna. But you have to use the right scale. (see previous post)

March 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Superhiro

Lol exactly Bill & Ted. A most excellent comment.

March 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Head Diva In Charge

I am a huge Britney Spears fan, however, I am not going to tell you she was ever that great. She was a beautiful young girl whose mother was happy to pimp her out at the age of 16. She could carry a tune, and she could REALLY dance. She has actually gotten better over the years. Her talent is on par with Madonna.....it's more of a cool factor then great voice. But you know what, I buy her CDs, I go to her concerts, and I sing along to every tune. So......ya

March 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Bill & Ted

Dude, better than ever? On what scale? Is cat poop better than dog poop? I guess it depends on who you ask. We just turn the sound off and wait to see what body parts slip out!

March 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Really, it is a matter of how much she sucks. She sucked hard before, now she just sucks a lot. Maybe five years from now she will only suck a little.

March 29, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  35. horace

I'm with Flora

March 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Flora

I think Britney's being pushed by her team to do things she's not yet capable of. So I don't think she's fully recovered from her breakdown. I mean, she is being pampered around. Clearly, she made no attempt of being involved in the production of her newest album – all songs could've been sung by anyone and contain little lyrical meaning at all, plus Britneys vocals are forced and heavily edited. All of it just really makes me sad, I feel awful for the pop star I have always adored. She's just not there anymore! I'm scared she's going the Michael Jackson way.

March 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. raven

They wanna see more personal stuff? Hard to get more personal than her flashin her hoo-hoo and havin a public meltdown.

March 29, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. 4th and 7

Her head is too little for her neck. Her neck is like a tree trunk.

March 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Peter Yanker

Oh me too...U Handi my Peter and I Handi yours...YES?!!

March 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Handi Peters

When ever I see Brit I Handi my Peter

March 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Superhiro

I personally don't think she's ever been very good, but I also don't think the swill she's putting out now is necessarily any worse than the swill she put out at the beginning of her career. So meh.

March 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. hallemd

Her performance on GMA this morning was overhyped and really boring. It is more techno-pop than singing and I didn't really see any talent or anything new. She has become a snoozefest in my book.

March 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. well

Depends on who you ask. Her fans will probably go into a long analysis full of praise and her haters will probably attempt to make some witty comments against her. Speaking of which, I prefer hearing the latter... sorry fans.

March 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |