Katie Holmes, Greg Kinnear on 'The Kennedys' controversy
March 29th, 2011

Katie Holmes, Greg Kinnear on 'The Kennedys' controversy

After being dropped by the History Channel and lingering in limbo, "The Kennedys" miniseries will finally make its debut on the Reelz channel April 3.

At the Beverly Hills premiere last night, Greg Kinnear and Katie Holmes, who play President John F. Kennedy and First Lady Jacqueline, shared their thoughts on the controversial eight-part movie.

"I think that they did a great job writing this, and we approached this [as] a story about a family that was very powerful and also one that was very human," Holmes told CNN. "That's what we wanted to portray and we were all creating these characters."

Holmes added that her heart sank when she learned the History Channel had dropped the miniseries from its lineup, claiming, "While the film is produced and acted with the highest quality, after viewing the final product in its totality, we have concluded this dramatic interpretation is not a fit for the History brand."

"I was as surprised as anyone else because no one saw it coming," said Holmes. "But I'm really happy the Reelz Channel picked this up."

As is Kinnear. "I don't think it's too salacious. There's nothing in this show that you can't read about in my daughter's school library,” he told CNN of the movie, which explores the relationship between JFK, his brother Robert Kennedy (Barry Pepper), and their father Joe (Tom Wilkinson).

"People are probably going to feel maybe this doesn't capture as much as they want to capture in the telling of the Kennedy family, [JFK’s] time in the White House," Kinnear adds, "but they're going to make that decision themselves."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • television

1. susanr22

It's now on Netflicks - It's good!

September 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Needs sleep

I am upset that I don't have the reetz channel, I was looking forward to good nights sleep while watching it. I like the acting of Greg Kinnear, and his take on this. Katie Holmes needs to dump Tom, move back to Toledo Ohio, and learn how to raise her spoiled brat of a kid in the Catholic religion. Her heart is going to sink plenty if she does't stop protraying a stepford wife !

April 4, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lo

While I enjoy watching mini-series' like this, am I the only one who thinks they made it simply because everyone started comparing Katie Holmes to Jackie and they wanted to capitalize on it?

March 30, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gimme A Break

More crap on tv! More channels than ever, nothing to watch! More bikini contests, wet t-shirt shows, jello wrestling and tractor pulls, please!

March 30, 2011 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sherrie

I am soo looking forward to this premier..and to enjoy the story of the Kennedys:) Katie holmes looks amazing for the role..I think this will be controversy forever but am excited that this is finally being made..Sure it will be wonderful:) I think the actors are great I am surprised none of the bigger statins likes abc, nbc, even cbc or ntv or city or global..or something would have picked it up..

March 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Spam-alot

Must we hear the story about the spoiled, crooked, boorish dead kennedys again. Summation. JR died in plane crash. JFK shot dead. RFK shot dead. Teddy...a drunken sot that somehow conned the voters of MA for years then died and went strait to hell.

March 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

dont mince words Spam-alot, what do you REALLY think?! hahah

March 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really Spam-alot?

wow... clearly we have a right wing extremist here who hates catholics, democrats, liberals, etc. kennedy is one of the most beloved presidents, and the tragedy that surrounds him and his family is not something to make fun of or put in a demening light.

March 30, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Spam-alot

@ really.

The Kennedys were a group of spoiled rotten brats that thought the world owed them everything. JR was killed trying to out od JFK. JFK was good for the cuban missle crisis and berlin incidents but after that he was pretty useless and pretty dead after that.

Bobby was the swarthiest and slimiest of them all. He once made the statement..."We can get away with anything because guess what? We have."
      Teddy was a drunken fool and responsible for the death of Mary Jo.

So this is the family you hold so dear? No wonder you voted for ObaManure.

March 30, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. flashback

Weren't these two also in The Gift together?

March 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Head Diva In Charge

I just hope I get the Reelz channel, because I gotta see this. It's either going to be really good, so totally worth watching, or really bad, so totally worth watching. The viewer will win either way.

March 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tully

I look forward to see it.

March 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Superhiro

There's a Reelz channel? News to me.

March 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Land of Dixie12

I agree – where can we get this channel? Charter Atlanta doesn't even show it!

March 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |