'Breaking Dawn' to stay PG-13
March 28th, 2011

'Breaking Dawn' to stay PG-13

Things may get comparatively strange and steamy in the "Breaking Dawn" installment of the “Twilight” saga, but that doesn’t mean the MPAA rating for the two-part film adaptation will be taken up a notch.

The storyline includes a bedroom scene for Robert Pattinson's Edward and Kristen Stewart's Bella, and also depicts an...interesting pregnancy and delivery of the couple's half-vamp baby.

It gets so graphic that Pattinson has said he’s not quite sure how they’re going to keep it tween-friendly.

“There’s some interesting and weird stuff going on—really very, very, very strange. It’s great,” he told Entertainment Weekly. “For a big mainstream movie, it’s the most obscure story line and really outside the box. It’s a horror movie. I’ve seen a few bits, and I just can’t see how it’s going to be PG-13… unless they cut everything out!”

But, according to industry insider Anne Thompson, Summit Entertainment isn't about to deny teen ticket holders entry.

“Breaking Dawn will be a PG-13,” a rep for Summit said. “It will not be rated R.”

The first part of "Breaking Dawn" will arrive in theaters on November 18, 2011, with the second part bowing in 2012.

Filed under: movies • Twilight

1. Rene Maclauchlan

cool site, happy i took the time to look over it, if you have more similar articles ill be checking back to read them sometime.

January 5, 2012 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Priyanka

Posted on and Chris, each time you type that theme out, I am shwmeoere in the world, singing it at the top of my lungs.

February 13, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Marius

They will make the movie PG-13 in theaters. Then, endlessly hype the "Special Edition Breaking Dawn DVD Box Set" which will of course include much more graphic scenes. Of course that will be nothing compared to the "Ultra Fan DVD Box Set" which will come out later and feature possibly 1.5 seconds of Pattinson's behind or a side boob that will be endlessly screen captured and discussed.

(forgive my spelling and word usage as English is my second language)

April 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BRENDA FRIEND

ROBERT PATTINSON CAN BITE ME ANY DAY, BUT I BITE BACK. GOOD BOOKS. AWSOME MOVIES. GO. GO. GO!

March 30, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Head Diva In Charge

And even though I think this movie will be great I think that they should some bi females in there

March 29, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shalise

Who CARES about the tweens.. the first three movies were done for them! Pay homage to the book, its rated R, the film should be too!!

March 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. captain obvious

if this movie was R, their ticket sales would plummet. only tweens with no real concept of what makes a quality movie are into this sh1te

March 29, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. Head Diva In Charge

Alright, being a lover of all fine literature (yes, I am saying that with a smile), I don't see how they can keep the book story intact and get the movie a PG-13 rating. I for one was very excited to see dirty Vampire/Human love (again, kidding). As much as I joke, I will be in line at mid-night!

March 29, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. NotATween

I read the books simply because my 19 year old daughter brought the first movie over to watch. I was hooked. It's no different than any other romance novel, it's needs to be read by someone who can comprehend "love", NOT a tween. Parents get on these boards and complain about that the "graphic details" of the book need to be left out of the movie....hello, are you the same parent that allowed your child to READ the graphic details? In my opinion, you loose the right to complain about the content of the movie if you've allowed them to read the books. Details are more profound in EVERY book vs. a movie! The followers of this series are getting older, not so much tweens anymore. There is a whole fan base out there well over the "tween" age, looking forward to this movie. I think they should make two, one rated R (to stay true to the book) and one rated PG13 to water it down, because the main scenes in the book cannot be show in perspective and keep at PG13 rating. I do believe the last two films are going to be a disappoinment to many faithful viewers. It's going to have the essence of a very bad after school special.

March 29, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Dani

I like your comments. It's nice to know there ARE some intelligent people out there with true objective opinions. I like the books and I'm not a tween either. You are correct – they are supposed to be a love story and the author put nothing graphic in there. She wrote it in such a way that the READER uses their imagination as to details. I believe – because it is split in two – that it will have more of the book in it (as opposed to the other movies that cut quite a bit). I also believe – from what I've read online – that they will be adding more action (Volturi) to expand out the story for the two. Pattinson stated that its more of a horror movie this go round. All involved – insiders, "sources", actors and such has stated that its really well done. We shall see. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I DO agree with your idea that one should be rated 'R' and the other 'PG-13".

March 30, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. MaefromAK

Personally, I loved the books and the movies but I'm not so delusional that I would call them works of art or pure genius. The thing I like most about them is the idea that chivialry isn't dead. If more men where like Edward I bet there would be fewer divorces! I am disappointed they aren't going to rate the last two installments R. The fact that they are keeping it PG-13 tells me that they aren't staying true to the material nor the nature of the books.

March 29, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

I'm sorry Mae but am I the only person in the world that thinks Edward and Bella's relationship is toxic? Forget the fact that he's a vampire, but he leaves in the 2nd book and she literally stops moving. Not to mention her personality in the books almost completely disappears. She starts out written as this smart, funny, snarky girl and ends up... an infatuated mess who can't function without him.

I'm sorry but in no universe is that healthy or chivalrous. The fact that younger girls are reading this crap and eating it up as a "love story" makes me sick. It's really just a display of masochism.

March 29, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • @mae

vampires are an unrealistic ideal of what men "should" be like. according to these books, men should have the personality of a centenarian – chivalrous, gentlemanlike, intelligent, worldly – and have the body of a 17 year old... not to mention they are also sensitive, mysterious, and can read people's minds. you're not going to find this in the real world, not because some ideal is dead, but because its not reality. there have never been men like that.

ps: @brooke – agreed. there is nothing healthy about their relationship.

March 29, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • agree

I agree with Brooke

March 29, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC

I suppose if I had an eternity ahead of me, I wouldn't begrudge spending 50 years of it pampering some girl either.

March 30, 2011 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Head Diva In Charge

You are all jerks for posting you stupid comments on here

March 29, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Babiyaga

Shuddap. Its a comment space. These idiots can say whatever they choose. Even the dood above who mentioned shortlogs. I'm saying I agree with them, but if others don't like it they can ignore it.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."–Voltaire

March 29, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. piapony

I'm so excited for the new movie to come out! i never got into fads but when i saw the previews for eclispe i was curious so i watched the first two and i was hooked!!! im more in love with the series than most pre-teens. i agree with you Swan, they are too far apart. i go nuts waiting for the new one. i just hope jacob isnt totally out of the picture in these movies...i never read the books

March 29, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Swan

I can't wait till the movies come out! It's gonna be awesome! I loved all 3 of them!!! Just wish they wouldn't time is so far apart this isn't fair! Whoo twilight!

March 28, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. not just tweeners

i think it's also a good point to note that it's not just tweenie-boppers that won't be able to see the show should it lose it's PG-13 status, a great deal of the adult fans won't be able to see it for religious reasons. The author is Mormon, as are a lot of the fans, and coming from someone who grew up in the faith (no longer practicing), R-rated movies are a thing they encourage not watching.
    So if it's R, there's a good chance Stephanie Meyer couldn't see the movie herself.

March 28, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC

I'm not sure why it would be ok for a Mormon to write graphic scenes but not be able to watch them on the big screen.

March 30, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
    • blackbella

completely agree with jc, im completely baffled by that

March 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • not just tweeners

the kind of paradox that made it so i don't practice anymore

March 31, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Willow

They should let Buffy and the 2 guys from Supernatural get at them. They would be mighty sad vampires then. But if a person could really be made one i would say do it now. please. You could live forever and never get sick ! cool ! no more surgeries or chemo or illness for em !

March 28, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lala

the book was originally a romance novel for 16 to twenty somethings. it would have never even been a tween movie but thanks to the mainstream society, parents let their asinine 13 year olds read it, graphic or not. bam its a hit now its a movie and the intended content isn't tween friendly? I'm 17 and even I had the half brain to say well duh parents don't let your kids see it! god so now we have to suffer a sucky smoochie-made up-cliche-fade-to-black rom com cuz 12 and 13 year olds love them some R-Patz. bet they even read the book too. >:(

March 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • thank you!

while i am admittedly not a twilight fan, it is really refreshing to hear a fan who agrees that young girls SHOULD NOT read the books. the books are for more mature audiences and in my opinion would be a good beach read- don't require a lot of thought, just a guilty pleasure.
      it irks me to no end to see twilight-themed merchandise being targeted to my 9-year-old (Toys 'R Us, I'm looking at you!)

March 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jross

I finally gave in to all the hype last fall and read the series. Surprising myself I actually enjoyed the first one, was so so about the second and third and thought the last was a complete waste of time. Saw part of the first movie before I read the books and wasn't crazy about it, then saw it again after reading the books, only dubbed in french. I liked it better the 2nd time around – probably because I don't speak much french...

March 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Fyrzon

Halrli, positive comments toward this movie are stupider than comments negative towards it.

March 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Superhiro

Whoa there take it easy. No need to defend twilight like a child.

March 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. harli

the movie is going to be amazing. see how people have different opinions? if you dont like the movies why are you wasting your time displaying stupid comments. no cares that you think the movie is guna suck especially since your wasting time reading about the movie

March 28, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lettuce Head

@harli

Oh this movie is gonna suck big time and you are just another enabling female co-dependent dunderhead with doo doo logs in your underpants.

March 29, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Dani

Okay...the fact that you used the words "doo doo logs" explains a lot.

March 30, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

"doo doo logs" in their underpants – sounds like a serious medical condition......don't sit down...........wait....squish....too late!

March 31, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lyssa

the movie isnt supposed to have blood thirsty human hungry vampires. its a love story between a strange boy and average no talent girl . god damn stupid people.

March 28, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Bela Lugosi

Vampires used to be scary. Now they're a turn on for teeny boppers! And now Bela is a girl!

March 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Superhiro

Yep, it will suck, and it will probably be one of the top grossing movies of the year. How sad.

March 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Count Dracula

This movie will suck...And it won't be blood...

March 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • InternetSpy

I remeber when vampires looked like this on TV and were frightening.
      [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK8unfCCdQQ&w=640&h=390]