The 'Pulp Fiction' party that wasn't on 'Community'
March 25th, 2011

The 'Pulp Fiction' party that wasn't on 'Community'

When "Community" creator Dan Harmon tweeted earlier this week that the upcoming episode of the show was not going to be a spoof of "Pulp Fiction" (despite it being promoted by NBC as such), we knew we would be in for something different.

What transpired on Thursday night not only referenced "Pulp Fiction," but even more so "My Dinner with Andre" and "Cougar Town."

Abed is obsessed with the Courteney Cox show ("It was as if he didn't want people to like him," Jeff remarked), and confessed to Jeff at their birthday dinner that the chance to be an extra on the set led him to re-evaluate his life, which led Jeff to make a pretty startling confession too, about trick-or-treating as a girl.

Then, Jeff was enraged when he recognized what a lot of us did: that his entire confession was part of a spoof ("I prefer the term homage") to "Andre."

Even so, the dialogue between Abed and Jeff may be one of the best-written exchanges between two characters we've seen all season, so kudos to Sona Panos and the rest of the writing staff for that.

When it was clear that the "Pulp Fiction" party wasn't happening, everyone came to the restaurant where Jeff and Abed were eating, and just to show that Abed really hadn't changed, he quickly noted, "Cool, cool, cool, cool" about each one of their costumes (as great as it was to see Britta as Mia, and Chang as Butch, Shirley's Jules definitely stole the show).

It took a lot of guts for "Community" to avoid the obvious spoof (besides, "House" covered the "Pulp" ground pretty well a few weeks ago), and take a big risk like they did with this fairly serious episode. (Not that there weren't some big laughs - Troy crying is never not funny.)

I'm not even sure it's possible to get any more meta than this show has been lately, and this was something of a commentary on that. It would be really hard to count the number of levels on which this episode was working, and director Richard Ayoade (star of "The IT Crowd") certainly deserves some of the credit for that as well.

Ah, forget it, Abed. It's "Cougar Town."

What did you think of this episode, and are you excited to see more of the show next season? Share your iReport or comment below.

1. Bud

I disagree... the Chicken finger episode was the best!

April 4, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • mistressk

I agree with Bud! The Chicken Finger episode was amazing. Next would be the paintball episode, but there are really a ton of good ones. This show is just so enjoyable.

April 5, 2011 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Flcommenting

Paintball was definitely the best, although the Sailing/Pottery episode was just as good! LOVE THIS SHOW!

April 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Amy

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to appreciate the episode since I haven't seen Pulp Fiction in so long, but I was so wrong, it was great! Pierce as the gimp was somewhat disturbing! This series is FABULOUS!

April 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. troy and abed in the MORNING

Agreed that the paintball episode was the best, but i think my second favorite is the season 2 premiere (w/ Betty White, and Abed trying to force a wedding episode). Im also worried that this show may become the next arrested development, and be cancelled too soon. Im always trying to get my friends to watch it, and maybe im just bad at explaining it, but no one seems interested. Anyone who loves tv/movie references would fall in love with this show. Seriously, Abed is my dream man.

March 28, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. gandd

Zank, you're probably correct as the best always seem to be yanked from us far too soon while we're left with the mire that leaves our brains mush. LOVE Community. So far above any other comedy writing-wise.

March 27, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. zank

This is one of the best written shows out there....which means it will be cancelled next year.

March 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lulu

I love this show!!!! Jeff's smile when Abed asked if they were still friends was priceless :D

March 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. T

Funny, funny stuff !
    Can't get enough of Community, hope this show lasts for a few years (at least five years of top quality writing and acting).
    More Troy and Abed ! And especially more of Allison Brie.

March 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. I wanna love ya love ya love ya...a little mo, babe...

Is that Barry White?

March 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marylandls

My son and I love, love, love this show. I agree with Heynow that the Paintball episdode was the best, However, is it just me or has Jeff been over the top mean lately? Too much snarling and nasty sarcasm, for my taste. It's like his character doesn't want to be there any more.

March 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Heynow

Love this show! Paintball episode was the best and they are always doings pop culture references. Perfect casting. More Alison Brie....she's gorgeous!!

March 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |