Saving Casey on 'Idol' sends shock waves
March 25th, 2011

Saving Casey on 'Idol' sends shock waves

Stunned.

That's what Casey Abrams was Thursday night on "American Idol" when the judges used their one and only save to prevent him from leaving the competition.

"Are you really?" the surprised singer asked, while shaking and looking ready to pass out. "Why would you do this? I can't believe it."

And he wasn't the only one. The use of the save so early in the competition reverberated among the "Idol"-ators, who'd watched the incredibly talented front-runner turn in two lackluster performances. That, coupled with the fact that he performed in the unenviable first-to-sing slot Wednesday night, may have almost done him in.

But when the judges saved him only a few lines into his song, it was a moment which became – so far – THE moment of the show.

PEOPLE called the night "one of the wildest ever" on "Idol," and USA Today memorialized it by saying, "Casey looks like he's about to throw up. Or pass out. Or throw up and then pass out."

Billboard.com co-signed that and tweeted, "Casey Abrams is going to vomit. He's shaking, probably scaring the judges + Seacrest. And I love every second of it!"

Fan Franc Aledia tweeted, "Still trying to recover from American Idol last night...wow!" and iReporter Al Mealey said the show was one of the best in the series' history. Another iReporter, Kathi Cordsen, said that because of the save, her "faith in the judges has been restored."

But not everyone was thrilled. Viewer Lee K. tweeted, "Still mad that casey didn't get voted off last night" while Ryan Miner wrote, "I just watched the video of Casey Abrams getting saved on American idol. After that weird act, I now want him voted off."

What do you think? Is Casey staying a good thing, or a bad? Was it good TV or over the top?

1. Lass

SO glad Casey was saved, what an exciting show! For the first time I didn't vote because I assumed everyone
    else was voting for him and I didn't need to!!! Learned my lesson.

March 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JustSaying

Yes Casey has a LOT of talent. I am not doubting that, but he is not the most youthful contestant. Teenagers are not in love with him. His main fan base is the adult crowd. But if all adults are honest; they dont waste their two hours calling and voting for Casey, like teenagers do for Scotty. This is how Casey was voted out, and he probably will be again fairly soon. Obviously not next week, or the week after (Because his fan base is freaked out and will vote a bunch the next two week) But after that... Lets see how far he goes

March 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Annoyed Conservative Christian

I do not think the judges should have wasted the save on this guy.

March 27, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jflo

Excuse me i just want naima out i want casey to win he is so talented if ameica loe casey ameica doesnt know music

March 27, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LASB

I thought that Casey deserved the save, and enjoyed his shock. I think it was genuine shcok :)

March 27, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. hux

Casey is a growler and thats it. He would fit in nicely at the sat jambs in your local pub.The voters spoke and were told it was wrong . So what the hell. I wouldn't pay to see this guy walk around and GROWL . Paul is another one that needs to get outta town.He fits into clubs for curcit bands .I can't believe this guy is still on.

March 26, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. vickigrotha@gmail.com

I think they should have let him go!!! He doesn't sing he grunts. They will be sorry later on because he isn't American idol material!!! The people that wasn't voted off has a lot of talent. This is best group I have seen on this show ever.

March 25, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lynn

Casey is undoubtedly a naturally great singer and great with the blues/rock stuff. He failed me ,and obviously many others, the last couple of weeks, so America didn't vote for him. I AM glad he has another chance, but I wish they had never started this "Judges Rescue" thing. It should be left to the vote. Either it is an "America decides" contest or it's not. Now they are letting it be more and more a performance contest. Whatever happened to it being a vocal contest? One thing I can say about Simon is that he would often close his eyes or look away and judged on what he heard. Having said that, I like the new judges. I do thing they are making too many concessions though.

March 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. merie

I think casey is very talented. I was shocked to see him in the three to get seated. I think Paul was the one of the group to go.Being a blues lover I was impressed with most of his singing. As some of you have mentioned he puts too much growling trying to sound bluesy. He is better when he sings what is natural for him.We can all critize but I wish I could sing like most of them.

March 25, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. BOAUB

Last night's show was SO RIGGED. I'm all for going along with the sight gag – as long as there's a true payoff. This was just pure manipulation. Everyone liked Casey – Casey was so quirky – Stafano was such a wildcard, really brought his voice to the top of the heap – and – OMG – both of them are suddenly BOTTOM TWO? I guessed it at the top of the hour when Ry said, "big shocker coming up later on". I just thought it was going to be Casey and James in the bottom, not Stefano.Either way, the ending was as staged as the wrestling crap with Hulk Hogan. Pure BS and frankly, an embarrassment. I truly hope America isn't really dumb enough to fall for this, however, I think in the land of tea baggers and Sarah Palin soccer mama bears, we're in for more of the same.

March 25, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lass

So then I guess you are saying that Casey is an excellent actor! Or maybe the judges are? Isn't a save SUPPOSED to be used when the judges don't agree with the votes?

March 28, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. #1 Idol Fan

Glad they saved Casey. But Naima? She needs to go and fast. With her dreads pulled back like that, she looks like the Predator monster. She cant sing/dance so why is she here so long? If I want to see a gorilla/chimp perform, Ill go to the zoo. Steven keep up the good work. Rock on Casey!

March 25, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

I disagree. ENTIRELY. Naima's dancing is awesome, and makes her that much more of a performer. And I feel sorry for you if you liken something beautifully cultural to something of a caged animal.

March 25, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GIANCARLO

America, do you really believe your 'vote' matters here? The producers are going to stir controversy in any way possible to try to keep people watching and talking the next day at their boring, useless jobs. I'll be glad once they do eliminate Casey and there's no 'save' left to use on him. He's obviously a nice enough kid, OK performer, unique look (although sometimes I question whether or not he might stink in person LOL) but he's the producer's pawn just like the rest of these kids. Producers got to stir it up, otherwise, without enough drama, less and less people will watch (as we've seen with the ratings each subsequent year on this show). At least Casey and I do have one thing in common – we both nearly heaved when Casey got the save (just for different reasons LOL).

March 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chel

I Love Paul's voice.He's a bit quirky but he has a beautiful smile and voice.I don't think anyone should try to do the songs HELLO or MAD WORLD again David Cook and Adam Lambert ROCKED IT!!!!!!

March 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ccc

The ONLY reason I have watched A Idol this season is CASEY! He is talented; he is genuine; he is unique, and I get a kick watching him. Casey makes America grin, admit it. Grace under pressure while only 19. Go Casey Go.

March 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Katen

Jason should be the next to go followed by Haley, Paul and Lauren.

March 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. wade h

He has been trying to self-destruct before people saw his very limited voice and instrument play.
    He got a LONG way on showmanship but the door was closing.
    He will be a huge asset for the road. They are very short on stage presence.

March 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Solace

I love Casey! I am so glad he was saved last night. I think his response was appropriate; his save was shocking and the judges did not even make him sing. Casey was on an emotional roller coaster ride and demonstrated the pressure that all these kids feel when they are up there on that stage. I am rooting for him!

March 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Lyn

The only thing I'm sorry about is that the judges weren't able to throw out pretty-boy Stefano. The last two years were botched because pre-pubescent girls went for doe-eyed crooners instead of people with musical talent.

March 25, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Chris

Suckit,
    you need to (spell) check yourself before you Wreck yourself.

March 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Beth

Paul (Rod Stewart wannabe) or Naima should not have made it to the top 10...now top 11. When Paul sings I want to mute the sound and Naima jjust doesn't have that great of voice. Oh well...they'll be voted off soon and so will "growling Casey". Pia will win!!!

March 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. SgB

just gotta say it again...stressing it...believe this: casey turned in two bad performances two weeks in a row. his "natural talen" his being a "blues artist" his scruffy looks whatever. Two weeks in a row, casey sucked.

March 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Your opinion, which others share. Not everybody likes everything. You just don't see things as I do. I believe I see what Casey's all about and, where I know nothing about Nirvana and how they perform, Casey's version blew me away. I was awe-strucken by that performance. Thus, it was awesome!

March 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Tom

Casey, you're the best. Jennifer Lopez got it right when she said she doesn't know what went wrong. Steven Tyler got it right when he said America got it wrong. Randy got it right when he stopped your save song and said we know who you are. The judges, IMHO, are not always right, but they are right about you. I had little doubt they would save you, but even though it's a very talented group, I don't think they would have saved many of the others. Be yourself and go onward.

March 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Bub

They need to change the rules so you're voting who you want OFF the show instead of your favorite.

March 25, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ahrean

Casey's an original and if he were voted off b4 Thia, Hailee, Stefano, etc it would be a crime.

The world NEEDS a musical Seth Rogan!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Junior

In the beginning, I liked Casey, particularly when he sings and plays the upright. He’s a very talented kid with a bright future. However, his performances are the same and getting old. I think he’d be very entertaining on the Tour and that’s the only reason he was “saved”. It really was time for him to go. Now, when Pia, Thia, James or Jacob end up in the bottom 3 after a fluke bad night, the show will wind up loosing out. I hope I’m wrong…… Hopefully the show says goodbye to Casey and Naima next week.

March 25, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. SteakFrites

How do people know what Casey was yelling? They bleeped out whatever he said.

March 25, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  27. bob in chino hills

as a long time viewer of the show, i have to say that I miss simon. the judges mist have been told by the producers to not say anything mean to the contestants cause all they do is blow smoke up the idols asses. there is no honesty. tyler is so lame with his criticism.the only thing that he is looking at is the girls bootys. niema has got to go, especially after that lame performasnce and thast sorry dance crap

March 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. linaz

I think what is happening and I hope not is that people didn't vote for Casey thinking that he would automatically be safe. This is what happened when Daughtry and some others in the past left so early. People were voting to keep someone on rather their favorites. There were comments made by the judges in the past of voting for your favorites rather than voting to also keep someone else in the mix just becuase you think you favorite is going to be there.

March 25, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Bulldog

Casey was a good save. His performances are the only ones I really look forward to watching. The next three that should go are: Paul (no range what so ever), Niama (original, but needs a LOT more work with staying in tune and in time), and Stefano (BOR-RING).

Thia is almost as boring as Stefano – so she better start adding some authentic zing (instead of the over practiced/ overly restrained garabage she has been doing). Jacob needs to stop looking like he's just doing vocal exercises and stop acting like my 50 year old female drama teacher on stage (he just needs a pair of bifocals hanging around his neck – its getting hard to watch, no matter how good he sounds vocally).

And the judges need to start giving honest, constructive, and if necessary, harsh, critiques. No more of the the useless love fest feedback. And who is the new guy "coaching" the contestants this year – Jimmy Lovine?? Talk about useless and unoriginal! I think he is part of the problem this year...and the judges never criticize the mentor/coach for the show (or now, this season) – but they SHOULD – but this guy is in charge of Geffen records – so everyone is afraid to NOT listen to him (including the AI producers). At least last year with some useless mentors, like Miley Cyrus, the contestants had to figure it out on their own...and that always weeds them out, or leads to "interesting" performances. If Lovine is mentoring next week and its music from the movies week – its going be even more BORING! They (the AI producers), went overboard trying to correct for some of the fluff/useless mentors from last season.

March 25, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. RGM

No more excuses posters! America voted him off the show. It's time to say bye bye, Casey. If not this week, then next.

March 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bill

Info about last year's payments to winners and others:

March 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. RSL

Casey(Zach Galifianakis) will get voted off again next week!

March 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Tony

I love the show and their are many wonderful singer here this time. unfortunately, its mor a popularity contest vs someone who can really sing. I hope the real singing talent moves on as Casey shoud!

March 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Canuk_eh!

Who cares? Bring back The Gong Show

March 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. rose

Glad they kept Casey, I think he's very talented but took some advice a bit too far. He seemed to be having some sort of blood sugar moment there, hope he does ok health-wise. It must be hugely stressful on such young performers.

Too bad that Pia person stuck around, I really can't stand that pretentious kind of voice. Don't actually care what she looks like, but I don't get all the raving about her.

Scott seems like a really sweet kid, maybe a tad out of his depth and hasn't really found his voice beyond low pitched country songs. Similar about Thia. Maybe 16 is truly too young to be tossed into the meat grinder.

Haley is doing technically/vocally difficult stuff, but with limited appeal.

And what about the lightweight, what's his name – Fred Bob Mo Paul, whatever. Some people must like his staggering around grinning-fool style, just not me.

Anyway, glad an out-of-the-box person like Casey got to stick around, and who cares what he exclaimed when he was shocked? Give me Adam Lambert and Crystal Bowersox over Blandy McBlanderson any day.

March 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Barefoot

Haley should have gone home last night. She is much too overrated, and there's nothing original about her, in my opinion.

And having read all of the comments about the "conspiracy theory" behind last night, it makes me wonder if the judges are going to pull out a second save once the not-so-good ones (Haley, Stefano, Thia, in my opinion) are weeded out.

March 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • lancon454

@Barefoot,

I would not say that it is a conspiracy theory, when this has been said buy many past contestants, plus many great so called reality show have been scripted and you find out about it after the show has been of the air for a few years. Look at it this way, even if it is scripted it is still a great show, and even if last night was staged it was one hell of a show and I loved it!

March 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Brenda

Interesting reading these posts. My perspective is that this is one of the best Idol seasons ever. The talent of all these singers is amazing. Scotty is pure country and could win because we country music fans love him!. Casey did not deserve to go home. Most of us assumed he was safe and didn't vote. That will change. They all deserve to be there and the Motown Night was awesome from all 11 singers.

March 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  38. A

I'm happy for Casey, but I'm on the fence about his save. There are a few who, in my opinion, are a bit better than he (Jacob, James, Pia). And for the sakes of his fellow contestants, I hope there isn't resentment among them for the judges using their save so early.

And speaking of that, since it's still relatively early in the season, there may be a few "dark horses" who could come out of the woodwork and blow everyone away (Naima, for one).

Hopefully this serves as a wake-up call for those who are too confident in their favorites not to vote for them.

March 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone HoggLegg

I agree with you...Naima is very talented and has the potential if she picks the right songs, but there is a lot of hostility here about her because of the African dances/moves she uses....although not blatant....but its there...

March 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

Whether the hostility is blatant or not, it's sad that uncultured people can't accept such dynamicism in a performance. It is, after all, what makes a PERFORMANCE, and being a performer is what the judges want. Not many contestants have had dance backgrounds, nor dance as well as Naima can. So to those who can't tolerate Naima's dancing, what do you expect? A yokely Taylor Hicks who moves around the stage like an electric eel out of water. Come on, now.

March 25, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  39. carvicap

If they saved Casey why not Karen? And now that there will be a tour of the top 11, why not the top 13? Karen was voted in as a top 10! The judges added the extra 3 that cannot sing as well.

March 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Cassie

I'm so so so so happy that Casey got saved. how awesome was it that the judges stopped him mid song. best save so far unlike the save from kris allen's year. this proves to me again how stupid america is. are you guys deaf or what. the boys in my opiion are the best. out of the girls it's lauren and pia. naima or haley need to leave soon. I like how one of you guys that is america's decision not the judges. they don't know crap, blah blah blah. first of all, they do know their stuff. one's a producer and two are very successful singers thank you very much. they know talent when they see it. They did the right thing.

March 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mag

The idea of saving him was somewhat understandable but the strange response whether genuine or cooked up in advance by Idol producers (remember the weird idolgenic Lucas hug fest? Not spontaneous, dude), it left a sense of overtly prescripted reality. Given the level of talent this season it was unnecessary and damages the show's restart. Was the big drama supposed to be about the Summer Tour $$$ that the 11 contestants will earn? I wonder how much that drive them to such overworked showmanship. How much $ do they get for making the top 10/11 anyway? Even awesome James Urban seems to be willing to play into some of the foolishness. Sad. So many young talented singers going through the Hollywood food processor.

March 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • lancon454

@mag,

I agree with you about it being sad that the kids on this show have to change who they are to stay on the show, but they knew this going into it and do what it takes to get there names in the spotlight and get a record contract in the end, because if they did not have this show they would have been another talent that was never found. I feel that the show is scripted, but I still like the show and we will see how bad AI is hurt with the other two shows coming out this year, the voice and x factor. Good luck to all the kids on AI this year they are some of the best in the history of the show!

March 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Sunny

Glad Casey was saved, but that kid will get a recording contract, no matter what. He's too talented not to.

Amazing how people think Pia's super loud, super high note and Homecoming Queen face make her a winner. There is nothing unique, fun, catchy or memorable about her other than the menfolk think she's hot. That's what pageants are for, not to be a lovable pop star.

Paul is fun and smiley and all, but not recording artist material.

Anyway, how America Votes only makes for show ratings. The sheer amount of music producers watching and waiting to grab up the ones voted off and sign them are probably in the dozens.

March 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  43. dude

Reminded me of Lilly last year. Great performer that America felt was safe. Too bad they weren't using saves last year.

March 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • lancon454

@dude

They did use the save last year on that big Mike guy that looked like magilla Gorilla!

March 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. SgB

@bequiet: i read through most of the comments and it seems like you are the only one on this here board i agree with. I said it last week (smells was a bad choice and casey MANGLED IT!) I said it wed nite (casey came right out with some off-key bs). I think the guy is talented but has a. MADE REALLY POOR CHOICES and b. HAS LET THE "FRONTRUNNER" THING GO TO HIS FURRY HEAD. Also thanks seacrest for turning pia around for a great view of her a+ bum!

March 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Michael

I was surpised to see that Casey received the least number of votes. I am a non-professional musician and can tell you what he does is NOT EASY! Not even possible for me but anyway, when he looked like he was gonna vomit I got scared that the save may not have been a good idea. Then he recovered and recognized the honor of being the person the save was used on in light of how much show is still left, which is a lot. Eventually, his grace returned and I thought his response was dignified. I aslo thought it was cool that they had predetermined if the save was used last night then 11 people would go on the AI tour. That's pretty cool.

March 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Bill L

A lot of people are mentioning the "growling" that Casey is doing. How about the incessant screaming of James Durbin? Some would say that the screaming is his trademark but Casey's growling is an annoyance. The contestants should show a wide range of talent to keep their positions on the show. When they get their own contract then they can stick with just one style of music performance.

March 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Kelee

Ridiculous last night! He made a mockery of Nirvana last week– a terrible Weird Al moment. With A.J.'s comments above– all the way. The guy had talent–but, what have you become Casey?

Casey's reaction last night was because he knew he should go–projectile vomiting wasn't averted...ask my television....

March 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Millerism

I couldn't agree more. I really liked Casey in the beginning during the audition phases but ever since the actual performances, he's turned into a growling, screeching hot mess. I was just hoping he didn't collapse in the end. Still waiting for the Paul fascination to dissipate so he can go away. The drunken stagger on stage really isn't cute. Seriously, stop it.

March 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Karen

Best use of the SAVE ever!!! BRAVO JUDGES! I'm guessing lots of folks like me figured Casey was safe so voted for someone they wanted to be sure made it to the top 10 tour. Reminded me of when Chris Daughtry a favorite to win got voted off because everybody figured he was safe and wanted to see him compete against a certain person in the final. Glad all 11 will go on tour and now my vote is gonna be strictly for who deserves to WIN. p.s. Loved the mock fighting and the appearance from Hulk Hogan! Too funny!

March 25, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Steve-O

Good on the judges for using the save. That Neima chick has got to go.

March 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  50. dr

The judges I think just wanted to give Casey another chance to redeem himself. We all know he's talented, but more than some of the others? I'm not so sure. And about Kelly C. & Carrie U. they both are phenomenal talents & respectfully deserved their wins. U GO GIRLS!!! BIG FAN OF U BOTH!!

March 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Fred Evil

I'm in shock that this awful show is till on....

March 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Steve M.

WAY over the top. Casey is unique but there are much better singers in the group. I wasn't surprised he received the fewest votes. The judges saved him this time but America will have it's say again and Casey will be history.

March 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. wendy

Wow. I missed last nights episode. So happy they saved him. Now get rid of that one guy...grrr I can't even remember his name. The one with the raspy voice. Go Hailey!!!

March 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Claudie

HeyBobby, i totally agree that casey is the only one i would save apart form Jacob(luther) or Pia. Casy is a white guy with black soul, almost like Teena Marie, she had black soul, i love and appreciate Casy's talent. Great show last night. It was not act, Get real

March 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  55. lancon454

I think that the judges made the correct choice. Love Casey or hate him, the guy is good, I think that he just got off track a little, and I think that this was all planed in the first place to rocket the ratings of the show. Many past contestants have said that the show was rigged and that the votes do not matter on the show. I do not know if this is true, but wow it made for great TV!

March 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Webb Strong

Glad he was saved. This boils down to the fact that the voters are mostly kids that don't know what real music or musicians are. Abrams is a musician that isn't manufactured with auto tune, etc.... Kids today love rap & Britney Spears type stuff. sad.

March 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • SgB

?What about the back-to-back lousy performances casey put on? could that have anything to do with his being last in votes? Just asking, but it seems like that's the determining factor here. And that 10yrolds vote like 80x each.

March 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  57. amberalise11

I don't understand how america can keep Haley around, she was very overshadowed the other night by the backup singers during the chorus on her song. I sure hope with them using the save this early that James Durbin doesn't see a fall early like Chris Daughtry did on his season.

March 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  58. ahawk61

It's not over the top TV at all. The judges made their decision, which is in the rules, to use their one save on Casey. I was a wonderful TV moment. Casey deserves to be there. He is fresh, original and comfortable performing. To express my opinion here-not to wage a war- I wonder why PAUL is still there. He is awful with no stage presence at all...

March 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  59. lisa

They get a clothing allowance of 450/show and on tour are paid about 1000/show http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28425686/ns/today-entertainment/

March 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Dougie

Casey needs to shave his head, beard, stash, everything and call himself Mr. Potato Head...so he appeals to the pubescent voters as somebody that's different and cool...because that's what appeals to these young voters (who dominate the polls)...somebody who is different (or sings and looks like the no-talent knothead, J. Bieber).

March 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jon

That seemed so staged last night! the whole thing. Him acting like he did, the judges stopping him, everything! Love the show and they don't need to pull antics like that!

March 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alison

I can't help but think it was a set-up by the producers. Who knows if Casey was really the bottom person and who knows if the judges weren't in on the whole thing. It seemed way to arranged the way Seacrest interupted his performance and the way Randy put his hand up and saved Casey from leaving. I'm not buying it.

March 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  62. MNfatslady

Casey needs to bring that beard and 'stash down to 5 o'clock shadow and keep 1/2 the curls in his hair tamed. What's that got to do with winning a singing contest? Teeny boppers vote and they won't vote for him because his "image" isn't what they are looking for. He is talented and he will have work in the industry, but he will not win Idol.

March 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  63. indiana

I couldn't believe Casey was thrown under the bus. So glad the judges gave him a save. He's a musical genius...deserves to stay. Love his style....love his ability to work a song and connect with the audience. Besides that, he can play the strings off a bass or guitar. I want to see him in the finals.

March 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  64. lisa

Am I the only one that thinks the deep voiced country guy looks like Alfred E Newman (mad magazine guy). And he seems so over-exaggerated and like he's in a skit or some comedy routine. Every time I hear him, I just keep expecting him to stop and say "live from new york, its saturday night!". Sorry. I tried, but I just can't get into his singing at all.

March 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone Hogglegg

Spot on!

I have been saying it from the beginning....I mean he looks dead like Alfred...the giant cranium and all...

March 25, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  65. MI Gal

Not a huge Casey fan, but if he did more like "I've put a spell on you", oh yeah, I'd be a big fan!! Pleeeease Casey, no more yelling, just sing!! I don't care what ya look like, its not a beauty contest, just sing! (Some dancing would be good, too!)

March 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. lisa

I love pierpont's idea of having people vote for who they think should be OFF the show, rather than who should stay on!

About Casey, well, all the singers are talented in their own way, and they would have very different target audiences. Let's face it, the shows demographics include tons of tweens that actively vote. I'm not a big Casey fan anyhow, but point is, if you can't excite the voters, you're just not going to stay around long.

Pia seems to have the best all around package with talent, looks, and marketability. Little Luther is awesome but I'm not sure he can get the votes to the end. James is also incredibly talented, but he is socially awkward on occasion due to his medical condition (witness his awkward over-reaction to the Hulk), I hope people can see past that.

March 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Samantha

I just hope Casey listens to Jennifer and doesn't GROWL anymore...it just gets old.

March 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Ricky

Question for everyone. When they go on tour, are they paid and if so what are their salaries?

March 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hayley

I doubt they get paid for going on the tour. They aren't full time recordists.

March 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • MNfatslady

Yes, they are paid. I don't recall how much but they are paid and it is VERY good money. I'd say what I THINK I recall it being, but I could be wrong so don't want to start a war on the thread. ;)

March 25, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  69. north carolina girl

how about my country boy!!!!!!!!!!! he rocks some country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Da Zipperman

He'll be a one hit wonder, if that.

March 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pulled Pork

what about him? He'll not make it into the top 5. He sings one note and that's low. If Simon were still on he'd say he should have been out with yesterday's bath water. I'll disagree with Da Zipperman, I don't think he'll be lucky to even be a one hit wonder, he's good at mimicking other artist, but that's about it.

March 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone HogggLegg

Everytime he sings, I get sick...besides his one low note that he can only sing in a twang, he looks like Alfred E Newman form the old Mad magazine cover...

March 25, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

@Tyrone – THANK YOU! I was wracking my brain trying to figure out who that no talent weirdo looks like. Alfred E. Neuman for sure. I can't stand Scotty and I can't wait to see him go. I hope it's sooner than later.

March 25, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  70. AdaminMadison

Hmmm...I'm one who doesn't get the Casey-love. Call me old fashioned (I'm 32 years old), but I actually prefer people who can actually sing.,..you know, carry a tune and all that stuff. Both Casey and James growl and grunt and (sometimes) scream, none of which really adds up to real "music". Of all the contestants, Pia is the one who stands out for me. She not only has a terrific voice, but also poise and class, real star quality. And, actually, Naima is also one of my favorites. I thought her renditon of "Summertime" on the opening show as fantastic (though admittedly not as good as Fantasia's.) Not sure why voters don't seem to care for her. As for the others, Paul is the best-looking of them all, but a little too quirky to make it on AI. Thea, while having a nice voice, just seems out of her league. Stefano is very good, but doesn't seem to be able to connect with a lot of the audience. The rest of them just fade into the background for me.

March 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hayley

I agree. Pia is one of the most talented, and true singers out of the girls and the entire group of contestants.

March 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

us Wisconsin guys think alike! Paul is very handsome, but I can't stand his voice. I can't wait for Scotty to get the boot. I think Pia is a lock to win the whole thing. I"ll be shocked if she's not in the final.

March 25, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Coach Lew

Casey is an OK singer that as the judges all say "takes chances". His unique style can turn you on or off so if he doesn't have a tremendous following then he will eventually be voted off for good. I don't really like his style but he does have a good singing voice when he is not screaming.

March 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Trace

I think they should do a different way of voting – I believe people should vote for who should LEAVE the show, that way there is no discrepency.

March 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  73. shaz

a great save!! love the judges for it!! Casey is the best there, no doubt!!

March 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  74. moon627

I think the judges would have saved whoever ended up in the bottom just to keep them on the Tour since theyre all good.

I'm not a big fan of Casey but i dont believe he deserved to be in the bottom and he's certainly not the worst so i'm glad the judges saved him for the Tour :)

Next week i hope Pia and Stefano get the heave-ho !

March 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Judy

He should be an actor after last night. I don't believe for a moment
    he was suprised to be saved. Why I don't know obviously he's no what the american public are voting for. Music doesn't need any more growling or screaming. A wasted vote!!!

March 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  76. karen

I think Scotty should have been the one to go. He doesn't have the range that the others do. Don't like Casey either, but Scotty is definitely not up to par.

March 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  77. yankeetexan

I think saving Casey was the right thing to do. Though not "mainstream" the guy has great talent. I think Thia and Naima need to go. Neither can set the world on fire...maybe in a few years Thia will become stronger in her presence to make it to the top.

March 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  78. A.J.

Yesterday was cringeworthy. He should have just been gracious and thanked them. Instead it became this huge production. By the end I wanted him off the show for good.

His performance this week was average at best. Last week was horrible. As a huge Nirvana fan I was annoyed and actually creeped out by his performance. He needs to vary his vocals a lot more instead of just yelling/screeching at us every time.

March 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

AJ: You and I are both thinking the same things. I want him off more than ever now. He is definitely not the "whole package" the judges were talking about at the beginning of the auditions. The only thing he seems to have going for him is that he plays musical instruments.

March 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Theresa

So glad they saved Casey! Scotty sucks, James & Jacob have TWICE the range and talent than Scotty.

March 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  80. karen

Ugh! Can't stand his growling and snarling. Sounds more like throat cancer than anything else.

March 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jaime

I was stunned when I heard his name. He is a very very talente musician that can go far. Only one thing, and it's sad to say, why he was voted off... The kid viewers and ballot casters r only too interested in looks that go with the voice. Its his appearance unfortunatly that is not getting him the votes he deserves. I absolutely love the new judges this year and believe they saved Idol. It appears that they are loving their job and loving being there and being a mentor.. Unlike past seasons. Almost brought tears to my eyes when they saves Casey.. It was soooo heartfelt.

March 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Betty

I agree Jaime, this season is awsome! And I did get tears in my eyes. Casey is an amazing musician but his last 2 performances were not his best. Nevertheless, it was shocking he got voted off. The judges are amazing this year and their advice and constructive criticism has been spot on. I also love how much fun everyone is having. The Hulk Hogan appearance was hilarious! Its like everyone lightened up after Simon left, he was way too negative and I think his influence affected more people than just the contestants. Ryan is a differnt person and much more entertaining.

March 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Dougie

The problem is there are too many 12 year olds out there that vote and have absolutely no clue what good music is. They are stuck in the "boy band"/Justin Bieber mindset because of marketing and so it's difficult to hear good music anymore unless you tune in to a low-power alternative radio station. The Beatles and Stones would never make it today. I felt badly for Casey, but hey...those are the rules and you gotta play by them...come on musicians, VOTE!!!

March 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  83. whit

I am so mad that they used their one save on him. he is completely creepy and thinks he's better than spread butter seemingly. At the beginin of the show i thought hey maybe this guy is an artistic musician, but after all his screaming. annoying displays of butchering great music, i had enough. he just needs to go. the judges with be kicking themselves when someone excellent like pia gets booted and they dont have their save. O well...thats life :P

March 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Rhonda

The judges should've held on to that save a little longer. Make us proud Casey!

March 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Robert

Yes! Casey absolutely HAD to be saved! What a great talent he is! His performance, for example, of "I Put A Spell On You" was phenomenal!

I do think the producers need to remind these kids that they are being watched by MILLIONS of viewers though. They had to bleep so much of his reaction! Not cool although Casey is THE COOLEST!

What a great season this is! The Top 11 are ALL so VERY talented!

March 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  86. MIgal

Ok, he was saved. Do the judges have anymore of those? I hope not, it's up to america to vote for the american idol! Keep your fav's in & vote, vote, vote!!!

March 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  87. GG

This season is the best by far. America got it wrong last night and the judges were right to use their one and only save. Casey has sooo much talent and I hope he goes all the way. Pia has talent but in my opinion is NOT the most talented. The two front runners for me are JAMES and CASEY regardless of Casey being in the bottom last night. This season's judges are like a breath of fresh air cause they are in the music industry. Who better to judge singers than musicians/singers. The show should be about the singers and not so much of the bantering there was between the judges as in previous seasons. This has turned out to be the best season yet!

March 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jean

Casey is talented enough to warrant the save. By next week, I hope the audience hears the weakness in Thea's performance. I guarantee she'll have the fewest moments on tour as she has no stage presence. She needs time to mature into her voice.

March 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  89. @steven segal

WOW! You didn't have enough "fat" stuff to say yesterday?(Liz Taylor) Did you make comments on the Kirstie Ally & the George Lopez blog too? News flash, it's getting old! Before you comment back to me, FYI, no I'm not fat!

March 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Be Quiet

He DEFINITELY should have gone home. Out of the remaining finalists, he is just in the middle somewhere. He screams his way through every song and looks like an idiot while doing so. The night he did the Nirvana song, Kurt Cobain was rolling in his grave. Just awful.

The only good part of them using the save is the fact that there will be no saving Scotty when he gets voted off.

Go Pia!

March 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reesa

I agree with you. I'm so sick of Casey and his growling, sreaming and whatever (it's not singing). I can't imagine listening to him on the radio and I would not!.

Pia's got natural talent...(its not force) and she does not come off like a Joke. Go Pia!

March 25, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  91. @popsie

Thanks for mentioning chrystal bowersox, she was awesome, wasn't she? I was really rooting for her!!

March 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Adrienne

I think Casey has a lot of talent, but I also believe he should clean himself up. The combination of growling and the hairy face make him look more like a werewolf than a musician.

March 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • wendy

That's the point. Its who he is and I think he looks great just the way he is! He doesn't have to "clean up" and pretend to be someone he is not. I applaud him for being himself. Its hard to do that in showbiz and I honestly hope he stays that way!

March 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Skip

What I don't understand is that the 'save' really can't amount to much overall. I mean, he was LAST in the voting. So now he's somehow going to make a comeback and get enough votes to win the thing? Who is he going to convert? The votes of anyone who is voted off after this week will almost certainly go to other contestants, since his overall appeal didn't warrant enough votes to stay on.

March 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruthie

I don't know if he's going to convert anyone, but all of us who didn't vote for him last night because we thought he was safe will definitely vote for him next week.

March 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • smallfry

he'll get the votes of those of us who did not vote for him thinking he was safe this week for sure.

March 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Steven Seagal

If he wasn't so fat he'd get more votes. No one wants another Kelly Clarkson.

March 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Patty

I didn't vote for Casey because I thought he was safe. I think him, Stefano and James are the top three.

March 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Lucinda A, Georgetown, DE 19947

Idol fans generally like fresh scrubbed, tattoo-less idols. I think the facial hair does hurt him too. Everyone on this show so far is immensely talented, some in their own really unique way, but personally none of them "ring my bell" or have gotten me excited – really excited, like Adam Lambert or Crystal Bowersox, and they were outside of mainstream to win it. Casey should shave the beard, and do something different with the hair – just get a whole new-Robert Palmer-ish type of look. He needs to throw the proverbial curve ball – and he can do with his looks, if not his voice.

March 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • smallfry

Shallow people.....hope all of you nay sayers on his looks are model beautiful yourselves.

March 25, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Julie Jamaica

Casey completely desrved the SAVE. I would have lost interest in the show if he was eliminated last night, because he is the most AUTHENTIC contestant on the show, and real people do make mistakes, and sometimes they are saved at the last minute the way Casey was. Isn't that what art is all about – suffering and redemption? Let's have more of it on "Reality TV" !

March 25, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Sharon

Awesome show. One of the best parts was when the Hulk came on. I thought James might pass out. And then the judges save, perfect. I was worried about Casey though. He's been in the hospital twice and I thought he was going back. He is very good, however, his last two performances were awful. He needs to step up now that he's been saved and go back to singing, not growling and trying too hard to be cool.

March 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carl

Very well put. Is he really the best singer on the show?.......or just the most entertaining to watch. You can't watch when you are listening to radio, cd, or ipod.

March 25, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  99. sykravitz

I pretty much blew it by not voting for Casey, thinking well, he's safe & that won't happen again..I'll vote. I know how reality shows, even AI, work to make the drama, but that was pretty good drama last night – up to and including "the Save" – the amazing Stevie Wonder, the amazing Jennifer Hudson – "dim the lights" – well, it all worked, AI producers. I am now further hooked.Casey isn't just a Class A musician, he's a personality, and that will take him far beyond the recording studio.You'll see –

March 25, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Sue

Pia is the most talented I've seen in a long time on Idol, but she will not win. The young kids won't vote for her.
    I don't think the save should have been used this early.

March 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • smallfry

She is talented vocally but she is not an entertainer. The judges keep saying they are looking for the whole package...she can sing but she is getting boring to watch. She needs to liven things up if she wants votes.

March 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Cory

I agree with Casey being at the bottom. He's nowhere near as good a singer as some of the others. All his goofy antics and growling mean nothing when you are listening to a radio or cd. If you never saw him...just heard him, most people would not be impressed with his voice. Better singers such as James, Pia, and Scotty all rely on how they sound verses how they act.

March 25, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • smallfry

You migt have had it till you put Scotty in the mix. I like him and think his personality is fun but singing wise – BORING. Not because of the country style, he just always sounds the same. Sure you don't want to think Thia is great too...

March 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Kat

Yes, Casey is a musical genius! people this is a talent contest, and originality! Not looks, sad stories, or cookie cutter performances.

March 25, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carl

No...it's NOT a talent contest...that's another show called "America's Got Talent". This show is based on vocal abilities only. If that exact same voice was coming out of a short, bald, or fat guy...there wouldn't be so many screams and hype for this guy. He's simply not that great a singer. The best singers are the ones you could close your eyes and never see the goofiness, but judge them based on the singing alone.

March 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • popsie

Carl i guess u have no clue what singing is because Casey can sing. Every judge says so and all the reviews i've read says so. Oh I get it you don't like his looks. And American Idol is not just about singing where have you been the last 10 years wake up

March 25, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smallfry

@ Carl – have you even read the comments on here? So many are slamming Casey for not being their idea of handsome. This is about his singing not his looks. So to say if he was a fat, bald, old guy no one would think he had talent is crazy. The fact so many comment on his appearance should prove that is exactly why they think he has no talent. Personally, I think he is average looking but talent wise I think he is very gifted and deserved the SAVE.

March 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • SgB

Talent contests, and i do not agree that this is a pure talent contest, are usually won by great performances. casey put in two crappy efforts two weeks in a row. he murdered the nirvana song and was so off key wednesday nigth. i like casey, and i agree that he's talented. He just tanked two weeks in a row. IN A ROW! Thats why he got voted off.

March 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Rob_in_MN

HELP!

I am so bummed, I have been watching all season, best season ever, but my daughter's orchestra concert and we missed the show. And didn't get it recorded. Where we go to see last night's show?

March 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ricky

http://www.americanidol.com they should have each of their performances and the results each week.

March 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob_in_MN

I know they have performances on line, but I would like to see the complete show from last night. Thanks.

March 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • idolfix2011

*cough* Isohunt *cough*

March 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Megan

Casey is without a doubt the most talented musician on the show. He has been confident because of the great feedback and for this to happen he was stunned and I believe almost everyone watching the show was too. If the judges hadn't saved Casey, I would have stopped watching. People loved his musician side when he showed his talent not only of singing, but playing an instrument as well. They want to see the real Casey, well there it was. He's human just like anyone else. What would you do in that situation, especially when you are still trying to overcome a serious health condition???? I believe Casey deserves to win. There are many talented singers on the show, but Casey is the most talented musician, and he has worked so hard to get to where he is.

March 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  105. michelle

Best Idol season ever!!! Casey is one of my favorites. I was very glad judges saved him. However, I think he may have lost a few more votes with the "Oh my F-ing g-d!" comment. I know I didn't care for that. It and the way he acted make me wonder if he can handle the "Star pressure". I'm sure the audiance full of kids were suprised. Get it together Casey!
    I am pulling for you. You have great talent. Steven Tyler is fantastic on show.

March 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • crissy

last night show was really stupid to see casy up their making a stupid sceen i really feel he's a jerk and what he did last night was not called for and to think that randy stop him from signing and made his point. people casted their votes in last night and they wanted him off the show. all he did was to mkae a sceen and was trying to throw up or call 911 and
      then ran off the stage to hug his family. i think this was just a show for him to continue next week he should go

March 25, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Jojoba

The save was a good thing. Just like the judges said he needs to get back to his roots by being authentic and true. He is very talented! I would like him to bring out some more instruments and sing his heart out.

March 25, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  107. Head Diva In Charge

Pia and Casey are the front runners for two very different reasons. Pia is an all around package, beauty and AWESOME talent. That hasn't happened on Idol since Carrie Underwood, and IMO Pia is actually even better. Casey on the other hand is pure indie music. He is so talented he doesn't really know what to do with it, as he showed the past two weeks. I can only hope that this week wakes him up and he goes back (like Jenny from the Block said) to being a musician. I voted for him – hopefully he will get the win (or close to it) that he deserves.

March 25, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  108. Totally Idol-ized

Although some may see a conspiracy in this, for my two cents the best thing that came from the use of the save last night isn't the fact that Casey didn't get kicked off, even though I really enjoy his musical and performance chops. The best thing is that all 11 contestants get to go on the A.I. Summer Tour. It is a very strong cast and they should be able to put on some very entertaining shows together.

March 25, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  109. Corinne Loggins

I love Casey, but am getting to the point where I cant stand to look at him because he needs to SHAVE!! Its American Idol geezzz, clean up!

March 25, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Popsie

Like i said to Tammy its not about looks its about talent an Caset's got it

March 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

I agree. Casey looks like a muppet when he sings.

March 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smallfry

Then close your eyes and just listen – it is a singing contest. Not everyone can have a dashing white smile and be drop dead gorgeous.

March 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  110. bob

Just another example that the public vote doesn't matter– whether it be American Idol or politics. It is all predetermined
    and sad.

March 25, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Casey

umm, not pre-determined at all, did you not see me almost throw up

March 25, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Have you heard the cheers for Casey after each and every one of his performances? The panel was not only unamimous, it was emphatic. If Casey was acting after the save, all the more power to him; I think Casey is a very sensitive guy with obviously great parents...an excellent formula for success.

March 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  111. rachel lorelli

PLEASE he so talented and i don't think he will go threw if he isn't supported i say everyone vote just one little vote can make a difference ....all of the contestants r amazing!!!!!!!! but HES MY FAV U KNOW!? well good luck CASEY ABRAMS I LOVE U

March 25, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  112. rachel lorelli

HE DESERVES IT!!

March 25, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  113. rachel lorelli

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAT ARE U THINKING AMERICA!!!!!! HE IS AMAZING!!!!!! I SAW WE ALL VOTE FOR HIM GO TEAM CASEY<3333333333

March 25, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  114. Snow White

The best use of a SAVE. Casey did not deserve to be treated like that. Voters should be ashamed.

March 25, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • LizFromNYC

I agree - this was the perfect opportunity to use the save. Save someone that is musically talented.

March 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Amy

Bobby – AMEN!

March 25, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  116. Tammy

I DVR all American Idol. I don't want to watch the commercials, I don't want to hear another "Yo" or another "Dawg", I don't want to hear "You know we love you", nor another "Baby". I don't want to hear the judges blow smoke up someone's butt who doesn't deserve it *ahem* I'm speaking directly to you Scotty, Haley and Neima, so I fast forward through all that junk. So, I read The Marquee Blog BEFORE watching the show, confident in knowing that either Neima or Haley was in the bottom 3 due to their history. Then I had to watch the show I recorded. I was truly amazed at how humbled Casey was. Truly amazed that the judges used the save so early! What will Steven do should his Lauren go?! JLo didn't care b/c her Karen was ousted already, Randy knows the game he's use to it, but Steven, you will get your heart broken, be prepared. Casey, I'm proud of you! You know and knew before hand, that it's anyone's game and you were truly humbled. The game is on.... Let's see who has it now! Neima, Scotty, and Haley hold on tight b/c the roller coaster is about to get started! to the producers, and the judges if I see Scotty not pulling his weight while the other contestants are having to do their solo's or their duos during their group songs I'll call it out every single time, and show him and you for the fraud that he and you are!

March 25, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • get it right

It's Naima. Not Neima. I know you might not think she is the most talented but maybe you should do some more research before you post.

March 25, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • popsie

Tammy all 11 of these singers are very talented in there own way. If America would pay attention they would see how talented Casey is, they only look at him and see someone who is not as good looking as Paul or as pretty as Pia Idol is about singing talent and stage presence and Casey has all that. Now i disagree with assement of Scotty, neima and Haley. Now they are not as good as Casey but htey are talented none the less. My top five as i see it is Casey, James, Pia, Lauren and Jacob and #6 Haley

March 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suckit

Tammy, you need to check yourself before you reck yourself. This seasons talent is the best I've seen in years. Each contestant has something different to bring to the table. Every single contestant DESERVES to be where they are. Wednesdays show was one of the greatest nights of idol ever. So for you to sit and yak about how you DVr and fast forward the show is a little bit tmi. Get this... No one cares. Oh, and hop off scotty's back. "he' a lady killer," quote Randy (the judge you have the most respect for... He is fantastic at what he does and has worked hard to stay true the music HE LOVES. And that's all that counts. Peace

March 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Popsie

I've been reading some blogs and people are saying they don't vote for Casey because of the way he looks! Saying he should clean up his looks. Its just crap, like last year they didnt vote for Adam Lambert because he was gay which is crap. who without dought was hands down the best singer and owned the stage. And Jennifer Hudson because she was heavy was the best singer also that year and didnt win. America votes if u r cute or pretty. The only one that was pretty and won and also should have won was Carrie Underwood

March 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tammy

yeah uhm get it right... how many times has nAima been in the bottom 3? Ever read this blog before? ALOT of ppl don't think she's worthy. The fact that she wasn't in the bottom 3 last night stunned the HELL out of everyone. The fact that Casey, and Stefano were and not at least nAima or Haley weren't, flabbergasted everyone of the judges, their peers and America, how's that for research?

March 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Scotty is one of my favorites. I would not have saved "Casey" because I could never see myself wanting to see him in concert. Nice guy but not a star.

March 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Bobby

I think that Casey being saved is perfect. There's noone i would save over him, other than Pia....Casey's audition alone was so bluesey and soulful, that it defined for me that he's one of the most innovative, talented performers in the bunch. He has over valued his growl, and i think will learn to do something slightly different moving forward to stay in .Background on this writer: 12 years piano lessons, undergraduate major in trumpet performance, and professional musician. So in essence i'm immersed in music at all times, and there is much to be said for a performer, and anyone who says Casey can't sing doesn't understand blues scales or his style, which is condusive to the blues. Same for Haley, who i lament being in the bottom three all the time. She has the most vocal prowess next to Pia, as far as perfect pitch goes. its utterly amazing how she can do her falsetto skips so effortlessly. Not many singers can do that, and the sad thing is most of the voters have no appreciation of how difficult the skills Haley whips out are, and the risks she's taking when doing some of those falsetto skips. Can i get an amen from any fellow musicians out there?

March 25, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Ricky

not a muscian, but don't have to be in order to appreciate music, and I don't like hearing growling every time I hear a song from an artist.

March 25, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • clint

Aggree on all accounts Bobby
      I have no talent, but I got ears and appreciation and understand different stylings.
      Haley is woefully underappreciated.

March 25, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • T.N.

I sometimes have a hard time understanding Haley when she sings. She's got the chops, I just wish she'd enunciate more.

March 25, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • GG

A M E N ! to that....although I'm not a musician ...I totally agree with ya. I am glad the judges were smarter than the voters out there and SAVED Casey.

March 25, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • LizFromNYC

I TOTALLY agree Bobby. Casey is an all-around musician. He sings, he plays an awesome bass, I have been blown away by his talent. I guess the people voting have not taste in music, or they just want to save people for the wrong reasons - which do not include talent.

March 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • KK

T.N.: I couldn't agree more. I have no idea what she's singing about, ever.

March 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred

Your music credentials do not matter in this discussion all that matters is the music, do not try to qualify your opinion with a "background" because it only makes you look like a dork. Can Simon Cowell play piano? I doubt it. You wrote, "the sad thing is most of the voters have no appreciation of how difficult the skills Haley whips out are, and the risks she's taking when doing some of those falsetto skips" but the only sad thing is that she has no idea how unappealing those sounds are to most music listeners. I personally cannot stand yodeling or anything remotely similar. Falsetto is cool but it has to sound natural, I don't care how someone skips into it. Haley sounds like she's performing for a vocal coach, it's all theory and little emotion, but that probably has more to do with her age than anything else. However, I do like Haley, she's a great young singer.

March 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pierpont

Ok, Casey started out strong but fell into that old familiar trap of playing to camera. Now he has one last chance to prove he isn't a gimmick. He needs to stop the fake sh- and show us the real not the pretend. Not real believable last night. May just a touch of over / over/ over/ acting.

March 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mgc florida

news flash, the judges are not smarter than the public, the public will decide who wins and this guy while he seems like a nice kid, is not outstanding. Having said that Paul should have been the one to go,,,he is awful!

March 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheryl

I agree with you–I don't watch the show that often; but I thought even Casey's "bad" performances were mighty fine. Yes, and keep growling.

March 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • SgB

@fred: exactly! and neither do the contestants' credentials. its all about the performances now, and @carol casey's were bad two weeks in a row. the growl is nice, he just really sucked when he did smells like teen spirit and wednesday night OFF KEY for the first 8+bars. maybe he can bounce back

March 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmpg

Amen!

March 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott Cochrane

Modern Music is rooted in The Blues and even if you say you don't like The Blues, the music you listen to owes its exitence to that Genre. Casey is a Blues "Artist". The most talented "Muscisian" on the show. He might not be the proto-type bubble gum "pop singner" that the younger generation loves, He might not have the looks that todays Pop stars have, but musically he is more talented than all of them

March 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • smallfry

I agree with your Casey comments; Haley, oh please....she bites and should be the one voted off.

March 25, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • missheather

AMEN!! Casey is an INCREDIBLE

March 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

Can't agree with you on Haley, man. Her instrument is good, but she has a hard time staying in the rhythmic pocket. She's usually both behind and a bit imprecise on syncopations she needs to nail. Compared to most of the others, she is the least able to sing in a hard groove. She has good pitch, but her harmonic choices on runs are not good. She doesn't understand where she is in the song structure, which tells me that it's all rote-recall for her. That works if you can stay in your comfort zone, but not on the level of needing to put out an album's worth of original material. I just don't see the capability in her for the end game.

March 25, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I'm also qualified to listen and judge, Bobby, but one of the things that music 'training' does for you is to withdraw you from the reality that the public simly doesn't hear what you do. Mant folks don't differentiate between 'it's good' and 'I like it' and they vote with their iTunes account. Most listeners don't enjoy a protracted growl. I loved that he could do it, but once he had done it throughout a song my own throat hurt, let alone what it must have done to his.
      I'm guessing he goes to who HE is next week and not what he thinks people want.
      Stay Casey – you are very talented.

March 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • rance

So if Jacob or Paul gets the boot next week i wonder how they judges going to safe. My say is, it too early in the show to save anyone. So it is not America which decides it is the Judges.

March 26, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Erin

A to the MEN, Bobby. I agree with you. Even though I'm not totally fond of Haley's voice (I feel like there's too much whine) I really appreciate all the crazy things she can do. Casey is the same way. Everyone is griping about his growl (which I love, but I do think he needs to tone it down) but the thing is HE STAYS IN TUNE. Very very very few people can stay in key with a growl, and Haley is the same way. Staying on pitch and in the key is a reality, for those of you who seem to think it means nothing. Being a great musician, well there are certain qualifications you have to meet (ie someone is not a great musician just because you – general you – like their music). I like certain bands who I know suck as musicians, but I also can only handle them in bits and pieces at a time. Bad musicians won't stand the test of time. That is why most of these winners have not made it past a few years. That is also why the general American public has certain singers and bands that come around who are VERY popular, but also who are almost non-existent within 5 years.

All that being said: sure Casey isn't Hollywood-good-looking, sure he growls too much (which I think has to do with how young of a musician he is, he'll back off it soon), but he is a great musician. And the judges are judges for a reason. Steven Tyler – one of the greatest rock singers of all time. Randy Jackson – has played bass and produced music with so many great musicians and has the musician's ear of gold when it comes to key and pitch. Jennifer Lopez – one of the best performers of the 2000s. They definitely know what they are talking about.

March 26, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Barb

right on you said it all

March 26, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |