Top 11 elimination night on 'Idol' begins
March 24th, 2011

Top 11 elimination night on 'Idol' begins

SPOILER ALERT – Tonight's "Idol" blog will reveal who is leaving the competition, so please don't read if you don't want to know.

8:59 p.m. – Casey starts to sing and barely gets into the song before they stop him and the judges save him!

Casey starts shaking and breaks down. He can't believe it! We can't believe it! He grasps the judges hands with a shake before running to hug his parents.

I'm bawling over here!

8:55 p.m. - The person in danger of going home tonight is:

CASEY!!

Stefano appears to be distraught and holds on to Casey for the longest sharing words of encouragement.

8:51 p.m. – Super excited to see George Huff singing back up for Jennifer.

The first person who is safe out of our bottom three is Thia.

Really? It comes down to Casey and Stefano? Really?!?!?

8:47 p.m. - I am gonna take a break from my amazement to check out Jennifer Hudson's performance.

She looks amazing as she sings her new single "Where You At." Love her, but the song ... meh.

She sings the mess out of it though. J-Hud always takes us to church.

8:40 p.m. – Here we go with Casey, Haley and Naima.

The first person safe is ... Naima! Even she looks stunned.

That leaves us with Haley and Casey and the last person in the bottom three is ... Casey!

WHAT?!?!?

Haley is safe and our bottom three are Thia, Stefano and Casey. I am super stunned.

8:38 p.m. - James got the Hulkster's shirt. He's thrilled.

Next up are Jacob, Stefano and Thia. The results are in and Jacob is safe.

Thia and Stefano not so much. They are both in the bottom three. Wow.

8:28 p.m. – So we clearly have some time to kill as we are treated to a piece about James' love of wrestling. There's a little smackdown fest in the "Idol" house. I hope the producers took out some insurance on that crib.

Next down front are James and Paul. Kind words for both from last night but "the nation has spoken" and neither is safe - from Hulk Hogan who comes out. This is crazy!

But before we can worry, The Hulkster announces that Paul and James are safe before he tosses Seacrest into the audience and Hogan does his signature ripping off of his shirt.

I don't even know what to make of the foolishness.

8:24 p.m. – Sugarland is fun. I like them. Love the lead singer's crazy, '80s-colored outfit.

They perform "Stuck Like Glue," and the audience is in to it. Their lead singer, Jennifer Nettles, is really selling this performance. Lots of movement and facial drama. I ain't mad at her.

8:15 p.m. – That was fun, but let's get down to what we came for.

We start with Lauren, Pia and Scotty. Ryan  let's them know they will all need to "pack their bags" ...  in a few months to go on tour because they are in the Top 10!

8:09 p.m. - Just when I was settling back to enjoy the group singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" out pops Stevie Wonder to rock a little "Signed, Sealed, Delivered." Jacob's grandma is rocking in the front row and the  "Idol" contestants are thrilled, you can tell.

Stevie shouts out Steven Tyler and sings "Happy Birthday" to him as only Stevie Wonder can. They even got Tyler a cake!

8:05 p.m. - YAY Sugarland and Jennifer Hudson are performing tonight. Can't wait.

Marc Anthony came on board to help the contestants use the in-ear device and work on their pitch problems. I wonder if he has given Jennifer some advice. Oops, did I type that or think it?

Marc didn't agree with some of his wife's Wednesday night assessments. He's going to pay for that when he gets home.

8:00 p.m. – Wow, a spinning record. I wonder if these young "Idol" fans even know what an album looks like. More than 30 million folks called in to vote Wednesday night, and Seacrest promises a result which could shock us.

We will be the judge of that!

1. Carl

What the judges see in Phil and Jacob, I have no idea, these 2 are GARBAGE singers, I hope they go next. Phil as Alvin with the Chip munks, and Jacob the screamer.

April 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Denise

I think that the best singer by far is Pia.She is always in tune.But she needs to stop doing so many ballads and let's see how she does on faster songs.James and Jacob are good also.I think that Scotty and Thia need to go already.

March 29, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bill & Ted

Dudes, this show is so lame! It's almost as rigged as wrestling! Give us more "Lingerie Football League" and "The Man Show"! ner-ner-ner-ner! (air guitar)

March 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dogs rule

Someone PLEASE Google "picture of Alfred E. Neuman" That redneck Scotty is his persona! I can just see "What, me worry?" floating over his big punkin' head. Back to the farm Scotty; this ain't "Country Idol"!!!!!!!

March 25, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Dyr_Str8s

@ dogs rule – just what is your definition of a redneck? Scotty seems like a genuinely nice person versus the rascist ignorant inbred dope you have him protrayed as.

March 25, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. jen

casey is the best AI contestant to date - the guy has more originality and uniqueness than anything out there right now - not everyone is a tween or a 20 something - casey is amazing and i for one will not be watching AI if/when casey leaves, cuz there'd be no point! btw, i am not bashing anyone else, i think most of the contestants are very talented, if not a little boring...

March 25, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Majek

I was happy that the judges saved Casey.The result last night was too surprising.Wishing Casey the very best in the remaining aspect of the season.

March 25, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. FRAN

Naima should have been gone last night and not been on the Tour she is out of tune and has a big chip on her shoulders! She thinks she is Erika Badu and doesn't even come close. The judges made the right choice saving Casey last night. Thia was a snooze fest and will be bottom 3 every week until she is gone. Pia has a nice voice but that is as far as it goes absolutely no personality and boring Lauren is forgetable. Top 3 for me would be James, Haley and Paul. I agree Paul is not the best but at least he is different not the same old boring la la la singer. Stefano is also good just needs to bring a but more to his stage presence.

March 25, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jennifer

I didn't think they would use their save this early, like Casey said, but I am sure glad that they did. I have watched many seasons of IDOL and this is by far the best all-around group of performers. It is hard to even decide who to vote for because they are all so talented. Heck, he could have lost by a few votes........we don't get to see that part!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, they ALL performed wonderful last night.........even though I am not big on theme nights. I wish they could just sing songs that they like that will showcase their talent and the kind of artist they want to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Stacy

The problem with the way votes are cast is that people call in the votes for their FAVORITE choices. It's theoretically possible that you can be the second choice on every single voter's list for the "best" and end up in the bottom even if you're "A" favorite. If you're not on enough "THE favorite" lists then you can still end up on the bottom because second best doesn't affect the result if people are only voting for their absolute top choices. The whole voting process would probably be more useful if were changed to choosing one's LEAST favorite choice with the top vote getter going home. It's more likely that the worst singer would go home that way.

March 25, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

I agree, it would be much easier and clean cut to just have everyone vote for person they would most like to see go home each week instead of having to call in for your favorites!!!

March 25, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Annette

The judges got it all wrong this time. Kasey should have gone home. There are a lot better singers that he judges might want to save, now they can not save anyone else. Kasey is too corny and over acts his songs. What will the judges do next week if he gets voted off.

March 25, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • FRAN

You could at least spell his name correcty if you are going to put him down.

March 25, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Starrsy

I was glad that Marc Anthony had worked with the contestants with the ear thing. I have long thought that the greatest weakness of the show has been the sound. I think it sound different live than on the screen. It must be hard to really hear the sound while in the studio/stage area. The show has frequently had dropped mics – the judge starts saying something and their mic is off. I watch Idol like programs from other countries and they use the cheek mics – seemingly more advanced than US Idol. I am really concerned at how often the sound sounds like amatuers are running the sound controls. Tuesday night's sound was the best I'd heard in a long time. Naima was in tune for the first time on the live shows. The group number still sounded "awkward", The signers sound so much better on iTunes in their full length recordings. I'm loving it and buying each full week's albums

March 25, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. Simon Says

Riley: if you're talking to me you are a complete moron or a 14 yr old girl. That was a scripted joke. The only thing offensive is the entire show!

March 25, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. Riley

Casey is ok but I cannot believe what the first words out of his mouth were when Steven told him he was saved. Casey said Oh my f'n God! He said it a few times!! That was unnecessary and uncalled for. Not to mention offensive. I hope he is one of the two that go home next week. His over all reaction was so fake. He will be another Hicks, what's his name?

March 25, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Simon Says

What a feakin joke! Totally scripted. "Stop the music, stop the music!" Save Grizzley Adams! Top 10, no top 11, no top 75, no... I guarantee the AI summer tour will be a bomb and cancelled half way through. This season is the most inept, ridiculous show in Idol history. The contestants are horrible and the judges laughable. They must really think we're stupid. Bye bye forever AI!

March 25, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rimas Sidrys

I have 3 theories on the Casey SHOCKER! 1. Casey's fans are not the kind who make the effort to vote (but what about all the other weeks?) 2. Maybe others took my mother-in-law's strategic approach to voting on Wednesday...assume Casey is going to be at the top, and vote for your lower tier favorite to keep them in the running. 3. The conspiracy theory: It was all set up for drama points (though I don't think Casey was in on it, because his reaction was very real – turned so pale)

March 25, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  16. little stevie

niema aka side show bob needs to go she can't sing that good she needs to quit trying to push her heritage down our throats it is a turn off sing don"t do your seizure dance

March 25, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  17. AI FAN

Love, Love, Love Idol this year and last night's show was the best results show in 10 years of Idol – doesn't matter if it was scripted or not, it was a helluva show. Casey deserved the save. I think it will be him, Scotty, and Lauren Alaina as the top three. And why do you peeps want to hate on the other contestants? Does it make you feel better about yourself because you can hide behind a computer and run others down. No Naima fan here, but she is just trying to live her dream – why do have to hate on that?

March 25, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  18. chris

The criteria for the use of the save is easy; does the person have a chance to win? Casey does, so yes, save him.

I can understand why the judges were angry – it stank. Paul is awful and needs to go.

March 25, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  19. Al

This bugs me. If you were voted out then you deserve to go home. Plain and simple.

March 25, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  20. saneCanadian

Wow I just discovered this site auto deletes posts with certain words. Like Home oh foh bick. I was talking Seacrest.

March 25, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  21. saneCanadian

Casey if you are reading this LOSE THE BEARD. It is so off putting on a ginger. No matter what you are hiding under it, it cannot be worse than that awful facial hair, What have you got to lose? AI, that's what.

March 25, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  22. IdolShmidol

I am a Casey van and I did not vote. I can no longer stay up past 10pm dialing like a mad woman when I need to go to work the next day. So while I feel partially responsible I wish Fox would cut this 2 hour chit out. In the meantime I'll also admit that Casey has gone down hill. You can't start out that strong and then week after week sound worse and expect people to stay excited.

March 25, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sleepless In Seattle

Did anybody see randy's jaw, he was stunned by the result and Casey was saved rightly so. The whole idea is to bring something special and that he is doing week in week out.
    Where Naima is concerned as much as she wowed me with her uniqueness, last week I had enough of her singing off key. BUT, oh my was I happy to see and hear her tonight. She was fabulous.
    Like somebody else said earlier, It would have been anybody's guess, they were all excellent.\

And for human and music sake, forget the colour or ethhnic aspect of things, we are just all 2 bit players on the stage of life, some more talented some less but we are all inhabiting this small world, lets just enjoy the ride.

March 25, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  24. loyceslack

It is really not good to look at craigs list if you are looking for serious relation ship check out trusted websites like match, harmony etc if you need fast dating then look for "Lightning Dating" articles

March 25, 2011 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  25. Yoly

People get on the phone and vote for your favorite. Four very talented young men up there which will be very hard to choose from.. I believe only one girl is really good up there I'm not going to say who. But honestly the last two will be Casey and Scotty.

March 25, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. Yoly

The final will be between Casey and Scotty just watch.

March 25, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Scotty (Alfred E. Neuman) won't last that long................if there is a God!

March 25, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  27. John

I'm sorry..but I thought his reaction when being saved was totally fake. "Are you serious?" over and over. Yeah...of course they are serious. I don't doubt he's emotional but he milked that for a lot of non-drama there.

March 25, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • IdolShmidol

Totally agree on the FAKE reaction. To hold your hand up in the air and wave it back and forth as if you're the Queen of England when you're actually trying to pretend you just Can't Believe They Saved Me! Ugh. While I'm a Casey fan that poor acting job brings him a notch lower.

March 25, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  28. heidi-ho

Glad Caset was saved. He is a very good singer, whether its popular opinion or not. But instead of using the save card they shouldve sent someone way worse than him home. Say like Naima, Stephano or Haley. I dont think any of them shouldve even made it this far. James is best by far. Rock on.

March 25, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  29. Freeland

Well, after 30 min in when Ryan announced "you dont wanna miss the rest of the show" or something very close to that, we all know its set up. And please, Randy, let Casey sing. Just to confirm how rediculous he can be once more. *yawwwwwwwwwn* Lame drama. Yeah he shoulda been in the bottom 3 for weeks. And its becoming real easy to see the difference between JLo the actress and JLo the judge. Hey Marc Anthony, pay your taxes!

B-O-R-I-N-G !

March 25, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  30. Fred L Fraud

Casey is a one trick pony. He better watch out, do something other than screech. That is getting really old.

March 25, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  31. AMERICAN IDOL

@IDOL-Naima is putting way too much emphasis on the African thing. This is American Idol, not African Idol. Most people dont like it and it doesnt wk w/every song. Her singing is terrible. And her dancing looks like some sort of seizure. Her outfits are horrid and that hair looks all knappy. Just a total wreck period. She shouldve never advanced this far. Please do us all a favor and go home next wk.

March 24, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Ace

panochaaa

March 24, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. br

I was a fan of casey until he started playing around too much..now leaning towards pia...but to put durbin in? c'mon he's a 2nd rate adam lambert...

March 24, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. videoguy

Why was Casey voted off the island? BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT ANOTHER TAYLOR HICKS!

March 24, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Bradhirsch

People just don’t know talent! They see Casey and don’t think he attractive so they blow over him.... It's those clowns who are shallow and how indulgent . Glad to see him saved!

March 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ninochrime

The judges & show so played this. They all knew Casey was out & set the end up. Just replay the final camera shots. They got Casey in the foreground & Randy in the background stopping the song. A set-up!

March 24, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mike in SA

Hey everyone, here's a thought...go to your front door, open it, go through it...see all that stuff around you? It's called "life" and it is much more interesting than who gets voted off a reality TV show that is most likely rigged to begin with.

March 24, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Craig

Casey will just be voted home again if he doesn't stop screaming instead of singing. Maybe he should stay behind his base. He does well with that.

March 24, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  39. cyberace

Casey needs to go! so does Naima. Waste of a Save. They will regret it if Durbin or Pia end up in the bottom.

March 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  40. SHANE

i love casey... I'm glad judges saved him... GOOD JOB!!

March 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Tom

Naima is terrible and has been since before she was even selected for the top 24. There were plenty of more talented singers, but she got by because of her outlandish dresses which supposedly make her "original." Thia forgot her friggin' lyrics; that's terrible. She should have been cut even though she's not the worst. As usual, Paul really moved me with his singing; that guy has real talent. Sadly, he won't win, but he'll be a star.

March 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Birdie

Can the folks at Fox/American Idol seriously think we are THAT gullable? By the comments thus far...I guess so. Reality TV folks....it isn't real, by any strech. Regardless of the fact that I Love, love LOVE Casey, there is NO way he was the contestant with the lowest amount of votes, much less in the bottom 3. Fans in an uproar = $$$$. More votes = more $$$. What a farce.

March 24, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmen Maria

Actually, if you check on dial idol, Casey got the lowest amount of phone calls. I had hoped that the text messages and online voting would turn that around but it didn't.

He is my favorite to win and hope people start voting for him in earnest.

March 25, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  43. Denise

Glad Casey is staying...never thought the judges would use the save so early, but it was a great choice in my opinion! This year has great talent all the way around, unlike some other years! Great job judges....and GREAT JOB CASEY!!

March 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kbrown

I'm so glad that the judges saved Casey.

Whereas Pia, Thia, Jacob and Haley will forever be replica singers, Casey is original and he can move his industry forward. He is a singular talent.

March 24, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. scare the stuff out of me

GOOD CHOICE TO SAVE HIM!

March 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Yo

What a freakin waste, this guy is not talented. He will be gone next week.

March 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yoly

I've got news for you. The last five will be four boys and one girl. Casey will be among them and possibly for the win.

March 25, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  47. juliejet

I am caucasian; my favorite contestant is Jacob, but I too wanted Naima gone.
    Can we agreeably disagree without throwing out the "R" card?

March 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yo

The nasty comments are being made by your people that can't except that Naima is talented. They make comments about her heritage that have no place on this blog. You are obviously not reading what your people are saying.

March 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Riley

@Yo It sounds like your just as racist as you are claiming "my people" are..You classify your own selves, "we" do not. I dont see any comments that are directly related to Niama's color of her skin..It is all about her talent..she is ok but not great. Now Jacob is awesome! So maybe you should go to sensitivity training and quit using the color of your skin to get everything you want. Somethings are just as they are, if you didnt get a job maybe it's b/c you arent skilled, not b/c you are black. You got arrested because of the crime you committed, not b/c you are black. That card gets old.

March 25, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  48. faye

Casey deserves to go home for crimes against mowtown...He was horrible...Marvin Gay is turning in his grave. He butchered that song last night..

March 24, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Idol

I am so glad that the haters that wanted Naima gone can go outside and kick the can. She is just as talented as anyone on Idol this year. I am so sick of people making racist comments when people that are not white on idol are doing well. She stays and one of your favorites that is not so talented in in the bottom three(3).

March 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I agree. I love Naima. I think she will continue to do well. I am not a big fan of Casey or his choice of music but it is nice to see someone other than the norm do well. I also think Paul is fantastic. He reminds me of the seventies music- Sammy Johns....not because he sounds like him but the way he sings/performs.

March 25, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • James

Are you guys serious...Casey has more talent in one finger than most of them put together...He isnt the norm either...He has the jazz look and feel to him...How the hell is that the norm...name me one jazz artist...He takes many risks and is a showman...Plus he has gotten blood transfusions for his stomach ailment...And he still comes out and performs...You guys are the joke..I dont even listen to jazz and i can tell you this guy has immense talent...I love country but i cant stand Scotty, even though i do feel he is getting a little better...Just because he isnt a Justin Biebler doesnt mean he is not good....And i strongly believe this is one of the most talented group of unique singers that they have had in a long time...He is within the top 3 best out of this group....The save was justified....

March 25, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

Uh, correct me if I am wrong; but is Jacob a NOT-white contestant?

March 25, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  50. Hollywood Reporter

This guy wanted to be An American Idol judge and thankgoodness he was denied. he bombs on Jimmy Fallon.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3pFFW_NqNE&w=640&h=390]

March 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin H

I think it's a combination of Casey performing first on the night and it being such a great night of performances. I have only been watching Idol for about 3 years, but it was easily the best night of performances I have seen – especially in the early weeks. I don't think there was a single person last night that you could look at and say they definitely should go.

March 25, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Hey Now

Hey fool, you forgot to mention the ratings after Stern appeared on CNN they continued to drop to like 400, 000. It had nothing to do with Stern, Morgans show just sucks.

March 25, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  51. Superhiro

SIX! Six worthless Idol stories in one day! Ah....ah ah ah ah ah!

March 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |