'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Do you buy Chris Brown's apology?
March 24th, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Do you buy Chris Brown's apology?

Chris Brown just apologized for his behind-the scenes outburst on “Good Morning America.”

In an interview on BET’s “106 & Park,” Chris said he was “thrown off” by all the questions Robin Roberts asked him about the aftermath of his beating of Rihanna. Brown now says he’s “disappointed” by his outburst and he was just trying to “release…the anger.”

I can’t deny that he’s sorry, but clearly Chris Brown still has to learn how to manage his anger – there are much deeper issues at play here. Someone clearly sat him down and told him he needed to apologize and sound as contrite as possible.

Brown will likely be asked about his attack on Rihanna for a long time and needs to be prepared to answer those questions. Trying to put myself in his shoes I can even imagine his frustration. But Brown needs to control the way he reacts. Being frustrated is no excuse for the way he behaved. What do you think? Do you buy Chris’ apology? Post below.

Other big stories we’re fired up about on our show today…

An inside look at Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s family life, and Billy Ray Cyrus’ regrets for slamming “Hannah Montana”!

Be sure to join me live at 5p.m. ET on "Showbiz Tonight" and again at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN.

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. Tif

There is no way possible Chris could have been thrown off by the questions. The questions were pre-approved prior to him coming on the show. Its no secret that Chris has some demons within, however, I do wish that people would leave the past in the past. How can we expect people to move on and grow from their mistakes if they have to continue to live in the past? The questions should have been targeted in a more positive direction. Robin should have asked more questions about upcoming projects and what not. My post does not condone his behavior; I just think that people should stop judging him. Everyone has his or her own cross to bear.

April 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alana moreira

I peopl all for God's sake people, he does not deserve to be banned, because she can not tbm missed it I'm not a fa disisperada holds it would be the biggest disappointment of my life, I know you guys or not so there for what I I think most do not do this to him ... not by favor.ele missed more .. CHRIS BROWN everyone makes mistakes and you love my life ..

March 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. donjetaa

plzz let chris being at "Dancing with the Stars"....:(:(:(:(:(:(
    and shut up everyone who speak bad words for him ok:):):):):):)

March 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. marise bond

leave ,chris alone.

March 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sara

I say that what happened with Rihanna's in the past. Have to stop to come back with that story! And he took a fresh start and as a fan I wish him every happiness and success!!!

March 26, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Sara

I say that what happened with Rihanna that is the past. Have to stop to come back with that story! And he took a fresh start and as a fan I wish him every happiness and success!!!

March 26, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. Misty Jean

Chris, why u so fyne?? Can't wait to see my baby preform live!
    jwokfjeoieojfiee

March 26, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Isupportcb

What's wrong with you people? Chris Is only human? Sure what he did was out of hand sure he needs to learn to control his anger, but instead of HATING on him we should HELP him! He's the most talented male r&b singer out there! Gma Waas wrong for what they did, I'm still waiting for their apology too, or are as heartless as you people ! Wow this makes me sick

March 26, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. dee

chris brown i love you,keep doing what you do,which is being an amazing artist and dancer.! all these people that talk and hate on you just need to go get a life.he shouldnt be banned for something silly like this.his appology was sincere,everyone shud just get over it,people make mistakes and he has paid for his mistake,now just let him be and leave the past in the past.! Your F.A.M.E album is awesum too chris.! Keep your head up,you rock.! Ignore the haters,youve got way more fans who will always stick by you.! xX

March 26, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joyce Brown

Like all Chris Brown is a man who was, and repents not know the reason for the vote but he'll never deserve to be banned for a silly thing has many famous people there who do worse things and let you go now if you stand against him Brazil is the whole going against you!

March 26, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. chubbzy

yes i buy his aplogy... first off the fight with him and Rihanna happend 2 YEARS ago so every body should just leave it in the pass. He did his time for it. they both moved on from it and i think every body else should too..... He went there to promote his cd not to talk about what happend back then.. i think it was wrong what he did but he said sorry about it....

March 26, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. dArDaNiA

he have to be there ....and for me he is just apologized comeone guys everyone makes mistakes...all of you have makes mistakes that passing time have been apologized....

March 26, 2011 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  12. Breyonna

Okay Yall May Not Like Chris But He Has Fans Who Have Feelings And Will Be EXTREMELY Upset If He Got Banned !!
    I Mean He's Been Through Enough Already Dont You Think , Just Give Him A Break !!

March 26, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tiffany Lovette

Yes i buy his aplogy. on one hand it does take 2 to start a fight. we should just move on from this....LET IT GO..........

March 26, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. donjetaa

i love ma CHRISS

March 26, 2011 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Diane

I think you all need to mind your own business and leave chris brown alone and stop feeling for the victim "robin" one hand does NOT clap on it own!! It takes 2 to fight..so leave the man be..go look at other issues that are more important then what he did in his past!!!!!

March 25, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Deborah

I agree that Chris has got to find a way to channel his anger, but at the same time he does not need to keep answering the same questions on something that happened 2 years ago, i don't agree with him or any man beating a women, but R has moved on, why can't he, she said in an article that she would not be answering or talking on this subject anymore, she agreed with him to have the restraining order lifted, i have even been hearing rumors of talks to have him appear on her tour (I hope this is just a rumor), but she's moved on, let him. And everyone that seems to know how they would react in a similar situation is not telling the truth.

March 25, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Daddy

Man, this guy is tough, he punches out windows AND 19 year old girls.....

March 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sxyldy

Yes i do believe his apology is sincere. robin didnt have the right 2 bring up the past and aint miss goody 2 shoes either

March 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jojo

Here's what kills me- he is constantly referring to the 'incident' with Rihanna as if it's something entirely separate from who he is. Forever trying to brush it under the rug. Then you have a class act like Robert Downey Jr who has made a screaming comeback in his career. How? By owning his addiction & other demons and never being afraid to man-up, regardless of how many interviews are done asking him about his demons. As long as Mr. Brown continues to attempt to talk it all away, it will haunt him. Grow up, man up & maybe you'll be taken seriously. The haters exist beacuse no one trusts a delusional punk.

March 25, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  20. Incredulous

CHRIS baby...please stop referring to your violent criminal past as "THAT STUFF". When you try to minimize it and blow it off, you just show that you have'nt changed a thing about yourself. MAN UP and own it sweetheart. P.S. when your defenders say that your brat-fit at GMA is "behind us", that is offensive as well. I guess I can do anything at all then tell the judge that it's behind us now. Guess that's about as lame as a defense can get.

March 24, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Incredulous

Brown sat on the GMA set repeating: "buy my album...buy my album". That really sickens me. He is such a spoiled little diva. He is forced to promote his new CD and poor baby had a fit that would have landed any of us in the cooler. I am offended by "interviews" that the "artist" tries to turn into info-mercials.

March 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Leiaza

Chris Brown need to grow-up...like for real..BUT HE IS CUTE THO :)

March 24, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. My2cents

Any publicity is good publicity and people wouldn't be talking about him if not for this. seems like a work to me.

March 24, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  24. cb fan

i agree with the above reading. He is not understanding that he needs help! I am a fan of his. I even have to say that he could handled it far more maturely then trashing a room. He needs to realize this or he is going to wind up killing someone he has a serious problem.

March 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  25. dave

he only sorry he showed everyone his real nature. Yet Again.

March 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bill & Ted

Dude, don't be such a PUNK. Here, smoke this..... puff..... inhale..... hold it.... hold it.. exhale... ahhhh. all better now?

March 24, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. mandy85

I keep hearin him bein called a coward for releasin is anger behind a closed door on an inanimate object yet if he had run off and hit somebody would he be more of a man. no i dont agree with his actions and yes the whole r thing will haunt him but thats 4 him alone. he has never portrayed himself either 2 be a "bad boy" either so the whole thug comments are derogatory because when charlie sheen was arrested for putting a knife to his wifes throat or or cornering a young woman in a bathroom nobody was calling him a thug or a sissy. i wish the same that i would wish for any troubled soul at this point and thats that they find a peace and a good way to handle theyre troubles

March 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Superhiro

GMA says they told him the subject would be brought up, but honestly, do you think Chris Brown would've agreed to that if he knew they would bring that up? I sure don't.

March 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. debbie

Chris Brown needs to understand that there always will be cosequences for ones actions. A new CD release does not erase the fact that people still look at you as a girlfriend beater. Chris Brown as well as many other in the music business needs to really get connected with Jesus Christ. This is the only way that Chris will truly turn his life around.
    To the ladies who choose to make themselves look cheap and discusting. You too ladies who breath such nastiness need to find Jesus Christ, because you truly could not love yourself, to say such things on this posting.

March 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • @debbie

Laff, cuz no Christian's ever beaten their girlfriend right? And no christian would ever make nasty posts on a blog, right? -Eye roll-

March 24, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Joey

I read an article on hollywood life that was informative and might explain the bizareness that is chris brown. To summarize the article it basically interviewed anger management experts and they all concluded that he is trying to become a better person and felt shame for what he did (if you actually see the broadcast of the video you could see he was embarrased) but he still need intense anger and physcotherapy. Basically, they believe witnessing his stepfather beat on his mom and feeling anger, powerlessness and shame for not being able to do anything, now at 21 he still connects these three feelings together. Thats probably how he felt with rihanna when he caught him cheating and they had that arguement. And shame is what came of him when robin broguht up the incident with rihanna. Chris on bet SAID HE WANts to show his fans that he is working to become a better person. I hope he gets the counseling that he desperately needs because i know how damaging it can feel to be in a house filled with DV

March 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  31. T

He was told b4 his interview w/ Robin Roberts that subject would be brought up. He should have spoke up then & said I don't want to talk about that. He went into it knowing full well! All I can say is, "anger management"!!!

March 24, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mike

Please quit making fun of me. I am important too ! Just because you are all grown up doesnt mean you are so special. My cousin is grown up and he still likes cartoons and stuff. There. I guess i told u !

March 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  33. the_truth

*sigh*

March 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  34. the_truth

I love Chris Browns nekked picture ! *yummm*

March 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  35. the_truth

I gotta get me some tyger blood so I can be a big man like Chris Brown !
    * poooooot *

March 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. derp

"I'm really sorry that I stormed off the set. Almost as sorry as I was when punkslapped that wench Rhianna."

March 24, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. the_truth

I think Chris Browin is dreamy. His chocolatey brown skin looks sooooo delicious.

March 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • the_truth

lol i can only laugh at the imbecile who copied my name and wrote this *sips tea with a smile*

March 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. the_truth

I like to suck on me some weenies.

March 24, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. LAquecia

I am a strong AFRICAN AMERICAN lady. What bother me about Chris Brown is he only beats on thet tinyest of ladies. Any normal sized sister would kick his behind so bad he would run home crying to his mama. I wish he would try to pull this with me or one of my cousins. We would beat that sorry little excuse of a man till his head fell off.

March 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • the_truth

So how many people have you heard that chris brown has hit? Because you are implying that he has hit more then 1 woman...and with a name like LAquecia you and your mother deserves a good chris brown slapping *sips tea*

March 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. DOUG

He does like to have silly little remper tantrums. It makes him seem like an immature little cry baby and sissy. Doesnt he know how silly it makes him look when he acts like this? What a whimp ans sissy. OH OH better watch out. Little chrissie brown is going to have another hissy fit. . . . . i bet he is going to slap someone and pull their hair while his little pinky is sticking out ann dainty like.

March 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • the_truth

you should hit spell check before you try to judge someone else's character...just shows that we are all not perfect smh *shrugs*

March 24, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Logger Head in my pants

This Chris Brown kid is too immature to handle anything. They should put him in a cell with Gucci Mane so they can make sweet manlove and gobble one anothers goober juice.

March 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • the_truth

you clearly have a lot more issues then chris brown does *shrugs*

March 24, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. well

I don't care if he means it or not... it's his personal issue to sort out. The only thing I would care about is that he really gets the help he needs and that he's serious about making a change. Whatever treatment he has been getting doesn't seem to be working, so I take it as either a lack of seriousness or an ineffective method to approaching his anger issues.

March 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. tina

He makes me laff. No woman would be caught dead with this sissy. I bet he wears panties.

March 24, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Uncle Doo Doo

OK...back now. OH DARN...I forgot to wipe...brb.

March 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  45. LIZ

He is just a little coward that is afraid to fight any guy. Why does he only have the little baby temper tantrums all by himself or just in the presence of tiny young girls? He is a coward. A sissie. An embarrasment.

March 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Head Diva In Charge

Chris Brown still hasn't taken care of his anger issues. Maybe when he does he won't have to "apologize" so much.

March 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Superhiro

Well none of that gives GMA the right to pull a bait and switch on him. It's like if they invited Michael Jackson to talk about his new album but they only talked about molestation charges. It doesn't matter if that's what the public wants to hear about, that's not what they booked him for and it's not right to switch topics like that.

March 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Weezy

Oh...well I guess that makes ok then. NOPE...sorry but you lose AGAIN!

*POOT* <-a consolation prize for you.

March 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Uncle Doo Doo

BRB...gotta go take a doo doo.

March 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  49. nancy

He is a little sissy that beats up little girls. It makes him feel like a big man. Notice he went into the dressing room and broke out the window while he was alone. He was afraid to do it in the open where a real man might see him and kick his little sissy butt.

March 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  50. s

I don't buy it at all. He clearly hasn't learned anything from the court ordered anger management classes he was asked to take. I get it he was angry and too it out but that was irresponsible. He needs to accept the fact that what he did to Rihanna will haunt him for the rest of his life and find a way to deal with questions when they arise. He still has issues to work out. What happens the next time someone else makes him mad? Will he take it out on them or what?

March 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  51. nancy

I wish they would bury him with Elizabeth Taylor. That way we would all be rid of him plus Liz would have a boytoy to play with in the afterlife.

March 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Smear it

Chris Brown loves to give himself a Dirty Sanchez.

March 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  53. ARM

Let's get real people, he was provoked, he did not come to discusss his pass mistake, he was surpose to be discuss his new album and different things, get real, we all know he did not want to discuss R, He has paid his dues, get over it and move on, if our past was brought up to us constantly we might think , speak and feel differently. Let it go, move on, We love you Chris, everyone is not ignorant enough to constantly bring up the mistake you made. Keep your head up.

March 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chim Chim

No he hasnt paid his dues and him getting suckered in by this interview shows just how immature he is. He is a 9 year old masquerading as a 21 year old or however old he is. This boy isnt finished by a long shot. Sooner than later, hopefully he will be behing bars for a long long time.

March 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Theresa

His publicist was notified as to every question that would be asked of Chris. They read them and ok'd the questions...so he was fully aware of the questions. And all Robyn asked was" have you had any contact with Rhianna since the restraining order was relaxed?"

March 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Eddie King

Say Eddie King really likes "Chris Brown: Will he do me hard?"

March 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Superhiro

Of course he's not sincere, but at the same time, I don't think GMA had a right to discuss the Rihanna issue if he didn't want it brought up, and I can't imagine he would've wanted to talk about it. Really it isn't anybody's business other than Chris and Rihanna's and I doubt Rihanna would really want him to talk about it either.

March 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  56. JR

No.... He likes to blame others for his mistakes. Won't be the last time we her from Chris. He's not much of a tough guy either. Beating up a little girl and breaking a window...he a real gangster.

March 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Rihanna

Of course I accept his apology, Chris is my PooBear and I had that beating coming.

March 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Gas PUMPER!!

He is just angry because Rihanna has a bigger weiner than he does.

March 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sack full of butt brownies for you, Chris Brown so EAT THEM!!!

Oh he is sorry...sorry he got caught.

March 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Paco

Dont believe a word of it. He is lying again.

March 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahmed

he is showing his immaturity and idiocracy. If you ask me, the interviewer gay him a terrrific opportunity where he could have used her questions to speak about what he had learned from that experience, how it has changed him, and perhaps even it has made him a better boyfriend and artist … Instead, he has only raised new fears about how well his anger is under control. Imagine if someone was in the room with this guy – what if someone had gotten hurt. Anyone buying his music is enabling him… he needs to grow up if he wants to succeed in a grown up business!

March 25, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jray

The so called music folks will do anything for album sales it was a few months back that Fantasia tried to commit suicide right when her album was to be release and it went to number one and now on some chart his is number one go figure. I wouldn't pay a wooden nickel for it and for Chris since u signed up to be recording artist look forward to having to answer that question from here on out....or maybe better yet crawl under a rock wit ya moms

March 25, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
    • source

x months of community service, Chris exploded after he was questioned by Robin about the Rihanna assault. But as I watched him apologize on the BET show 106 and Park on March 23, a day after freaking out, I felt that he truly was ashamed that he lost control again.

When he said that he was “disappointed in my actions,” I took him at his word. But what do experts who treat people like Chris with anger-management issues, say? Would they say that Chris is irredeemable?

“There’s no question that he overreacted to the interview and didn’t handle the situation well. It’s a red flag for Chris that he needs to do more work. He needs to add psychotherapy to deal with the deeper issues that are causing his anger,” says psychologist Dr. Jeff Gardere, a contributor to healthguru.com. ”But I know he was disappointed in his actions. When people like him calm down, they become very guilty, embarrassed and disappointed in themselves because they know they lost control and did things that were very inappropriate.”

But Dr. Gardere also thinks it was unfair of Robin to push on the Rihanna subject: “I really believe Robin should have been a little more kind. He’s 21, he’s got anger issues, he’s a little immature. He came on to promote his new album. She didn’t need to push him quite so hard.”

Dr. Gardere also believes that the stress of being a public figure, carrying around the stigma Chris has and being in a cutthroat business, all puts Chris under even more pressure. “He’s also a kid who witnessed his mother and father in extreme domestic-violence situations. He’s been very damaged. I’m disappointed by how he handled this. But with more therapy, he can get better.”

Psychologist Dr. Lyle Becourtney, a specialist in anger management, agrees. ”I believe he can learn to control his anger if he has the motivation to change. But he must stay in therapy until he has complete confidence in himself, that he can control his anger.”

Anger expert Steven Stosny, Ph.D. and author of Love Without Hurt, believes that Chris’ anger is triggered by shame and that he was flooded with that feeling when his assault on Rihanna was brought up on GMA. “He was overwhelmed by feelings of shame, powerlessness and inadequacy,” he explains. ”He doesn’t know how to cope with these feelings still, so it comes out like a temper tantrum.”

Stosny believes that because Chris feels shame, he is very treatable. He can learn a different way of behaving. “He violated his own values because he hurt someone he loved — Rihanna.”

Unfortunately, Stosny points out, Chris’ childhood led him to make a connection between powerlessness and anger. He believes he felt powerless watching his stepfather attack his mother and that mad him angry as a child and frustrated because he couldn’t stop it. Now as an adult, when he feels powerless, he still responds with anger. Unfortunately, he’s surrounded by people in damage control mode focusing on his career and they’re not thinking about his emotional well-being.” But Stosny adds that he believes “Chris Brown doesn’t want to be an angry, violent person. He wants to be loved and be loving. He needs to go beyond traditional anger-management treatment and get more therapy,”

A fourth therapist, Dr. Gilda Carle, believes Brown has made progress. “During his interview with Robin, Brown held it together and even controlled the direction of the interview — he was gentlemanly, but he was not able to sustain it,” she says. “There’s hope for him but he’s got to continue to work at this. He needs people around him saying ‘This is not OK,’ and who will give him lots of love and support and will drive him to his appointments, too!

March 26, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  61. The Man

Idiot.

March 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  62. The Man

Still an idiot.

March 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  63. dArDaNiA

dont speak like that for my chris ok :)

March 26, 2011 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |