Gwyneth Paltrow to duet with Matthew Morrison on his new album
March 24th, 2011

Gwyneth Paltrow to duet with Matthew Morrison on his new album

As substitute teacher Holly Holiday and New Directions coach Will Schuester, Gwyneth Paltrow and Matthew Morrison make beautiful music together on "Glee." Now the duo are teaming up for a duet on his upcoming album.

The "Country Strong" star, who performed at the CMAs, Oscars and Grammys, has dusted off her pipes once again to join Morrison on the classic "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," reports Entertainment Weekly. Despite being pals with Paltrow, Morrison admits he didn't feel comfortable asking the actress to appear on the record.

"The hardest part of doing this album was asking these people favors, like Elton [John] and her,” says Morrison, whose self-titled contemporary CD will be released May 10. "I'm so not that guy."

Morrison sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for his "Glee" audition and also performed it in the Season 1 finale. For the album, he decided to switch things up by incorporating Paltrow's sweet vocals.

"I wanted to do a duet with a female. I thought that was a good song to do, and we really did a different arrangement of it," he says. "It's a lot of strings, and it’s beautiful."

Can't wait until May to hear Morrison and Paltrow tune up together? Not to worry — Holly Holiday returns to "Glee" on April 19.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • Music • television

1. Commenting on comments

My favorite episodes have been with Gwyneth. I think she's perfect for the show. Fun to watch, good entertainment, who cares about anything else? If you wanna complain about glee, lets talk about getting Rachel Berry hit by a bus or something. I'm SOOOO sick of her story line. OLD NEWS

March 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MARY

I LOVE GWYNETH ON THE SHOW BUT I HATE THAT WHEN SHE'S ON IT BECOMES THE GWYNETH PALTROW SHOW-NOT GLEE.

March 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ieat

I'm not a fan of her. Actually I used to not like her squeaky clean image. But I have to say, she seems to lead a good life. She doesn't drag her kids around for attention. She doesn't have too many scandals. Marriage seems normal. While I agree that she's not the best singer in the world, she sings fine. Her performances at the live shows were decent, which is better than some "real" singers out there like Katie Perry.

March 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Yugo

She is beautiful, smart, talented, a good actress, we loved her in Shakespeare in Love – but a mediocre singer. Please stop trying to sing. Its like Michael Jordan trying to play professional golf, plenty of talent in both areas, but not world class in both. There are plenty of world class singers who deserve more attention.

March 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bob Barker

Paltrow is lovely to look at, but an average singer. Step away from the microphone.

March 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mammy

Paltrow has no idea how uncool she is. Can't she just stay at home with that dumb kid she named "Apple?"

March 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sandra

Gwyneth Paltrow killed Glee. Next.

March 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kazz

please make her shuttup

March 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. glee sux

Glee is gay and so are you!

March 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. solan

why do people feel so strongly about Gwenyth paltrow? she never stuck me as being either a lovable or a hateable person. She is what she is. All this tension and anger is just confusing to me

March 24, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. stedman

JR is exactly right. No one cares about thie funny looking monkey. All she does is act goofy.

March 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • To UnsteadyMan

Wrong. Plenty of people care. Everyone here (including you, pal) cares, or we wouldn't be wasting out time yammering away on this forum. All she does is "act goofy"? Brilliant critique, dork. "Funny looking monkey". I can just imagine what a troll like you lust look like. And I'm not talking the kind of troll who attacks the forums, I mean the kind that live under bridges. Only truly ugly people criticize others' looks.

March 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. johnRJ08

THIS WOMAN CANNOT SING!

March 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. doug

i want to know who told paltrow that she could sing.

March 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JR

The only thing worse then her singing is reading about her singing every day.

March 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Monroc

@bcalb US IS NOT a good place to bring up kids!Paltrow is righton that!

March 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ChatterBox

Enough of Gwen already! The lady sings through her NOSE! Ugh....she isn't that great people!!!

March 24, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  17. sunshinelovesponies

First off, for all of you who say she "can't sing" are wrong. She isn't tone deaf and yes maybe she isn't a Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand but she CAN sing. Obviously none of you guys are musicians because people don't have to have this great voice to be able to sing. She's probably still training with her voice and who cares if she's getting all the attention? Why do you guys care? your not competing with her to get a spot on Glee. If you don't like it, don't watch it! It's that plain and simple. How about we hear all of you guys sing??

March 24, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. gentlerain

She cant sing!!! Cant believe she is getting all this attention, enough already!! Yuck!!!!!

March 24, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  19. FRAN

I like the show do not watch it religiously but so not a paltrow fan and think she ruins the show now. She is a mediocre actress and not a great singer. Move on and get back to just the cast the show is good and doesn't need all these cameos of mediocre actors.

March 24, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  20. PieHOle

Gwenyth would probably sound better if she sang while having a mouth full of Matthew...

March 24, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  21. Noway!

BBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! She can't sing. PERIOD!

March 24, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • mjinmd

Please don't think you speak for everyone with your comment.

March 24, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

So, genius, how do you pronounce all those "B"s in a row? Buh-buh-buh-buh-buh...? To use an annoying cliche´– FAIL.

March 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  22. bcalb

Paltrow simply is not that good. I don't waste my time watching her sing or act. She once said the US was not a good enough place to raise her children. Of course it is good enough to rake in the bucks from simple fans. Glee will not be on that much longer I hope.

March 24, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • solan

if you never watch her sing or act then how do you know that you don't like her? Tons of talented people are jerks/say stupid stuff. My hero Aaron Sorkin has behave quite badly over the years but I can still appreciate his writing. I don't think that Paltrow is amazing but she was funny in emma and has been decent(not great) on glee. Maybe if you gave her a shot you'd like her, maybe not, but, to me, it seems unfair to dismiss her out of hand because she made one silly comment

March 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • frank

for someone who doesn't have time to watch Gwynneth sing or act, it seems odd that you would devote any time or thought to posting anything about her

March 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Gas PUMPER!!

People like this Paltrow geek are never satisfied. They think they are Gods gift to us all and are compelled to further our sufferings thru their grandiosity. Enough with Paltrow.

March 24, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  24. gleek of the week

I can't wait to hear the song...I bet it's beautiful, just like Gwyneth.

March 24, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  25. Confused

@Head Diva...if they can all sing, why should they not have albums?

March 24, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • LgMcB

I agree. Also a HUGE Glee fan and while I probably wouldn't buy most of the casts' personal albums, doesn't mean they shouldn't have them. There is definitely a market out there. I'm NOT a huge fan of Gwyneth's singing, but I have to admit that she and Matthew Morrison have pretty good chemistry on the show. I like the idea of Will more with Holly than Emma.

March 24, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm Confused by Confused

They should not all have albums, because there are probably at least a million other Americans who all sing as well or better than Paltrow. It's not like they're writing new songs, either–they've just got some producers arranging old standards and they're putting their voices on top of that. In the sense that lots of fans of Glee will buy their albums (and probably regret doing so a month later) means that they probably will make albums, but *should* they make albums. I'd say, 'no.'

March 24, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm Confused About Confused About Confused

Since when has it ever been about he-with-only-the-best-voice deserves an album? LIke the other guy said, "there is (probably) a market out there." so why not? If there was a market for your sub-excellent singing, I'm pretty sure you'd be rolling out the hits, too.

March 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. leon

Some of us sure are tired of Gwen. Her face looks too silly to me.

March 24, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  27. Head Diva In Charge

Let me start by saying I am a HUGE fan of "Glee". But enough is enough. Yes, Gwyneth can sing. Yes, all the stars of "Glee" can sing. Does this mean they should have albums? Nope. Does this mean on every album they should bring on guest stars from the show and re-do the show? Nope.

March 24, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Sylvia

Gwyneth and Morris can make good music together, it's about time we listen again to good vocals. Gwyneth can carry a show, no matter what and she has proven it! Why don't we just wait and see, rather than judging something you haven't even heard, that is so ridiculous! Let's bring good music back, for heaven's sake!

March 29, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |