Elton John on Dame Taylor: We've lost a Hollywood giant
March 23rd, 2011

Elton John on Dame Taylor: We've lost a Hollywood giant

As Elizabeth Taylor's family prepares for a private funeral to be held later this week, friends and fans all paused to pay respects to the legendary actress and humanitarian, who died Wednesday at the age of 79.

Elton John, who was close friends with Taylor, released the following statement:

“We have just lost a Hollywood giant; more importantly, we have lost an incredible human being.”

Both John and Taylor have been tireless advocates for HIV/AIDS awareness, and many have noted that her humanitarian work will be remembered just as much as  her Oscar winning screen presence.

Taylor's family requested in a statement that in lieu of flowers, contributions be made to the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation.

What are your memories of Elizabeth Taylor? Share with an iReport or in the comments below.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Just Tired

All the trollips must miss her. MJ would be jumping into the grave after her.

March 26, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sir Elton

I know Liz wasnt much for doing the ole hershy hwy thing but I love a good rodgering.

March 24, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. John Lennon

I say this one thing to you now Liz...Imagine no possessions. Down here Satan owns everything.

March 24, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gianni Versace

Liz, Dahling. Michael and I have been living together for a while now at out condo. We have a beautiful view of The Lake of Fire.

March 24, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  5. Princess Diana

Elton said the same thing about me.

March 24, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. Plastic Liz

Elton will miss Liz pulling White Diamonds out of his rump.

March 24, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Yellow Brick Road Child

One of my daddys has Sponge Bob teeth,the other one looks like a wax burn victim,they enjoy giving each other pink socks.

March 24, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Stephanie

A beautiful, gorgeous lady!!!!! I have never seen one soooo beautiful and her life was amazing. Very sad she died at 79. God Speed Liz Taylor, you are with your other loved ones now and can look over the ones still here.

March 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tim

WOW ! ! Such a sad day in America and around the world. She was such a true humanitarian. A fine actress and most of all a loving and devoted Mother to her children. Also having the last name Taylor, I never knew my own mother growing up. When the kids in school used to ask me what happened to my mother, I would say she ran off to Hollywood to become a star. I jokingly would say Elizabeth Taylor was my mother. My younger brother used to get such a kick out of that. He even named his daughter Alyssabeth. After the "great" Elizabeth Taylor. Sadly he passed away exactly 6 months ago today serving his country. So I guess in a way my imaginary mother passed away today also. Thank you so much for all you did for AIDS research. There will never be another. She was a classic stunning beauty. Goodnight Mom !

March 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tracey

ELizabeth Taylor was a true legend. The one thing that really defined her is that she always supported the underdog. She didn't care what people said or thought of her when she supported her friends in times of trouble, for instance, Rock Hudson and Michael Jackson. If she was your friend she would stand by your side no matter what. Now that is truly noble. What a wonderful person she was. Elton John is also a great example of a truly noble person. He contributes so much to charities and doesn't flap his mouth about it like some celebs do. He doesn't announce what he is going to do to help, he just does it.

March 23, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cindy

Very sad sad day, what a beautiful person inside and out. Rest in Peace Elizabeth-God Bless your family-she will be remembered eternally.

March 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hollywood Cosmotologist

She lived an incredible life.

March 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TexanKjun

A truly classy lady. She will be remembered for her tireless efforts to raise awareness of AIDS and her giving spirit. Rest In Peace Ms. Taylor.

March 23, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • David Crosby is a burnt out fat ole hippy

She will be remembered as a F@gHag.

March 24, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mel B

God Speed Miss Taylor. May your Great-grandchildren know of your efforts to make this world a better place, and heaven willing, they will see a cure for AIDS in their lifetime, if not ours.

March 23, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. Head Diva In Charge

Sir Elton is correct – she was an incredible human being. One that I wish more girls in my generation (the Reality TV generation) would look up to.

March 23, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  16. whisper

R.I.P Miss Taylor
    a sad sad day =(
    One of the last true Hollywood legends.

March 23, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  17. sup troll?

Seems to me like you like seeing your own comments just as some people like hearing themselves talk. You probably make Elton John look straight.

March 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |