'Pretty Little Liars' finale leaves us in knots
March 22nd, 2011

'Pretty Little Liars' finale leaves us in knots

I rarely say this, but, OMG!

Having known that A’s identity wouldn’t be revealed this early on in the series, I was expecting to be a little let down by last night’s season finale.

After all, why leave us with some extravagant cliffhanger when the mystery of A is enough to keep us coming back? And besides, what else is there to tell? It turns out, quite a bit.

Despite my unconditional support for “PLL” - through each flat episode and teenybopper moment - I wasn’t giving the program nearly enough credit. Here’s why:

The finale began with Spencer, Aria, Hanna and Emily studying the footage from Alison’s flash drive. One of the videos showed Jenna coercing Toby, her step-brother, in the bedroom. We already knew this about the Cavanaughs, but this was the first time we’ve seen it with our own eyes. No wonder she desperately wanted to find the key Alison left for Emily.

The next day at school, Aria was eager to ask Fitz about his rendezvous with the police officer who dropped by his apartment. He didn’t seem to think the encounter was a big deal, saying they briefly talked about Spencer and that was it. Maybe he’d think it was a bigger deal if he knew his key was missing from under his welcome mat. (Unless, of course, Fitz is A, as a few commenters suggested on last week’s recap.)

Then Fitz told Aria that, thanks to his new teaching gig at Hollis, they would no longer have to keep their relationship in the dark. Someone needs to remind this man about statutory rape laws.

In a hallway across school, the girls follow Jenna into the band room looking for answers. She tells them Ali visited her at the hospital on her way home from Georgia, the day before she went missing. In Jenna’s flashback, Ali says, “The guy I like likes to make movies. I thought they were just of me. You think you know people and then they surprise you. Turns out the boy next door gets off on watching all the girls next door.”

Do we all agree that the guy she’s speaking of is Ian?

The girls promise to keep Jenna’s video safe, but not before using it to catch Ian red-handed.

Using a prepaid phone, which Spencer said she learned about on CNN (thanks for the shout out!), she texts Ian to bring $10,000 to the park in exchange for the flash drive. He agrees, proving he’s guilty - and that he makes a lot more money than the average public school gym teacher.

And if his compliance to swap money for the flash drive didn’t convince you, perhaps his phone call with Jenna did. “They found the video, and I’ve seen it,” she tells him. So much for that disposable, prepaid cell phone, Spencer.

After gaining Emily’s trust, we find out the cop is just another Rosewood man with a thing for underage girls. (He should be friends with Ian and Fitz.)

The cop kisses Jenna in her room by her snow globe collection. (What is the significance of snow globes on this show?) “If this video gets out we’ll lose everything,” she says to him.

And then… you-know-what hits the fan.

Fitz’s former fiancée, a teacher, shows up to the faculty mixer at Aria’s house. I know I’m going to cause a stir with this one, but… finally! I was so over “Ezria.”

Meanwhile, Spencer and Toby - a couple I’m most certainly not over – enjoy the afternoon together. That is, until Melissa texts Spencer, asking for a ride home from the church.

Everything about this scenario was fishy to me. Do you think Ian planned the entire thing - from not picking Melissa up, to the car accident and the missing cell phone?

Or could it have been A, who texted Aria, Hanna and Emily, “Buckle up b--, nothing is as it seems,” while they waited in the forest for Ian? And their bringing the cop along didn’t do anything to set my mind at ease. When he asked, “nobody knows you’re here but me, right?” I swear my pulse started racing. Hanna was smart to say she left a note for her mom.

Not that the exchange went as planned, anyway. Do you think we’ll see Ian’s decoy Logan again next season?

Back at the hospital, Spencer and Melissa both appeared to be in good condition, though we’re still unsure of the unborn baby’s fate. Unable to reach Ian, Spencer went back to the church to find Melissa’s cell phone. Ian, of course, was waiting for her.

After catching her with the disposable cell phone, Ian confesses that he never meant to kill Alison, that he accidentally pushed her and she never woke up. But don’t get too excited - Spencer makes a point to say that Alison actually suffocated to death. Therefore, we still don’t know the whole story.

What we do know is that, just when Spencer was about to plummet to her death, someone dressed in all black, presumably A, came to the rescue. "What are you doing here?" Ian asked, surprised to see Spencer’s savior.

Just throwing this out there: Could Ian and this person have been working together? Did he or she show up to push Ian down the church’s bell tower because, perhaps, killing Spencer wasn’t part of the plan?

By the time the girls got there, A was gone. As was Ian’s body, which we previously saw hanging lifeless with a rope wrapped around his neck. (Was not expecting that from ABC Family.)

“It’s not over until I say it is. Sleep tight while you still can b--,” A said in another text.

Do you think A took Ian’s body to make the girls look like liars again? Will Emily end up moving to Texas? Is Jenna really blind? Will Lucas really save Caleb and Hanna’s relationship? What's the cop's deal? And who the heck is A?

Hopefully we'll learn the answer to at least one of those questions when "PLL" comes back in June.

1. Aby

And Marlene King did confirm that the Jenna and Ian conversations in the final were 2 separate conversations.

June 1, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. M

This show is very addictive, albeit poorly written. There are just so many things that don't quite add up. First of all, A has some very bi-polar tendencies. In one instance, he/she/they will be harassing the girls and put them in danger (all the mean, vindictive texts, hitting Hannah with the car) and the next instance A will do something that helps the girls. Now that in itself could be indicative of a borderline personality; doing things to your victim to confuse them and bring more excitement to the perpetrator.

Now with that part out of the way, I'll address some of my thoughts on the questions raised in the finale.

Ian's role in Allison's death: In the church scene, Ian describes how Alli died. That must make him the killer, right? No, what he said was that he wrote a note on Spencer's computer detailing how Allison died, and that she was so overcome with grief, she killed herself. Ian not knowing how Alli died shows he could not have been the killer. Though, I don't understand how in this instant digital media age Ian would not have known the cause of death. It would have been plastered all over the news. Think about how many murder stories you read that don't specify the manner of death.

Lucas and Caleb's possible involvement with the car accident: It could be that Lucas was the one who hit Spencer, but based on Lucas' personality especially in light of the fact he went to get Caleb to bring him back for Hannah, shows he would not hit the car and run. If it had been someone Spencer knew, it would have been mentioned. Perhaps Spencer would have said "Mom, Lucas's car came out of nowhere." Lucas probably would also be at the hospital to make sure Spencer and her sister were ok. While we have no idea when Lucas left to pick up Caleb, Arizona is a long way away, and I'm sure Lucas didn't decide to follow Caleb's bus to the next stop to pick him up.

Ian vs Garrett on who is the creepy boy who took videos of the girls: The show has never mentioned where Ian lived before he married Melissa, but we do know that the girls knew Garrett because he grew up on their street.

Who saved Spencer?:
    Again, it could have been A being a little borderline personality, or it could have been Toby. Anyone remember he said he'd be there for her if she need him. Well, if Jenna is involved, she may have thought Toby was out and mentioned something to someone. Or he might have had a bad feeling and decided to check it out. I'm not too sure I like the thought of Toby rescuing her, but continuing to walk by as if nothing happened. It is an interesting point that they brought Noel in at the end of the episode, and he could have something to do with it.

Ian's body being moved:
    It is tempting to believe that Ian may not be dead, but there is the real possibility that even though he was not tangled in the ropes, the impact of hitting the rope must have snapped his neck. Snapped neck = dead guy. As far as Ian's body going missing, more than one person had to have been involved to insure the silence of the act. It appeared that the rope had been cut in various places.

What would be super interesting, and a GREAT plot twist, is that Spencer and Melissa WERE in the car crash, but Spencer is the one who has been admitted to the hospital in more of a serious state than her sister. Which brings us to the idea that Spencer is dreaming. She will wake up in the hospital with Ian standing over her, and freak out b/c she will think he's come back from the dead. Outlandish, soap drama at its finest.

April 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aby

This is by far the most interesting comment that I've read.

1. I couldn't possibly believe that it was Lucas & Caleb who hit Spencer & Melissa's car. It's impossible to drive from Pennsylvania to Arizona in such a short amount of time. Unless, Caleb didn't actually make it to Arizona.

2. I don't believe Jenna is actually blind. Sorry, she looks too polished for a blind person. That scene where she applies lipstick, how can she put on lipstick perfectly if she was blind.

3. I think Noel Kahn is not A, but I do agree with most who think he could be the hooded person who saved Spencer.

4. Whatever happened to the guy pretending to be Esther Potter's great grandson?

June 1, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. Star_Shelby

yeah i was totally confused. i've read the books and i'm super glad there not going strictly by the books cause then we'd all know who A is. not that i'm ruling her out. cause she seems kind of fishy. (ps:if you read the books you know who i'm hinting at.) adn i totally LOVING Toby and Spencer!!!!!

April 6, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lorin

K- Ian never confessed to killing Aria. At the church when him and Spencer were fighting he was saying how he left a note on her computer saying that SHE pushed Alison causing Alison to hit her head and die. So, you could be right that Alison is still alive. Sometimes I wonder the same, though I don't believe that whomever saved Spencer was Alison, I believe who ever saved her was A.

April 4, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. k

i can't wait for june so it can come back on. here is what i think, i still think melissa and ian has something to do with A, and i believe that A was the one that saved spencer. the more i watch the show im starting to think that allision isn't died but then again ian did kinda confuse to killing her. i think that caleb and hannah are a cute couple and that they should get back together. as for ezra and aria im starting to get tried of their drama, how is aria anyways, and eventually their probally going to get caught. as for the cop i think he has something to do with A and i do think ian was talking to jenna because she was tellin someone that the girls found the videos. if he wasn't talking to her than what about the bag he gave to her in the other eposide. hopefully we will find out who A is when the season returns.

March 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • k

that was suppose to say that he confessed to killing her, and apparently ian knew that person who came in and saved spencer

March 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • k

maybe i should have reread it before i posted it lol i meant to say how old is aria anyways

March 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Alicia Temple

I think A is Melissa. I have thought that from the very beginning.

March 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dort

The ex-neighbor cop is definitely "A". Ian is not dead and Melissa will lose the baby.

March 29, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. Carla

I definitely think that Melissa is behind a lot. I think she killed Alison out of jelousy. I honestly don't believe that Jenna is still blind. I think that she was blind, but her vision eventually returned to her and that she pretends to be blind. I think Melissa, Ian, Jenna and Garret are all A. I love Lucas though he's so sweet to do that for Hannah, I want him and Hannah together. And who else is sick of Aria and Ezra drama?

March 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bkb

I don't think ian was on the phone with jenna. I think it was meant to look like that but I think he was on the phone with Melissa talking about the insurance adjuster which Melissa mentions to Spencer in the car. I know there is something up with the Snowglobes not sure what but there is something. What ever happened to the flashdrive?

March 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lorin

Jan- I think you could be right. I always thought there was something fishy about Melissa. And, I always believed that even though Ian seemed supucious that it was just to throw us off and that he was covering for Melissa. Ecspecially now that in the church when Spencer said "you wouldn't do this if you loved my sister," and Ian shot back with "I'm doing this because I love Melissa," it's almost like Melissa had the entire thing planned out and Spencer's death was all a part of the plan. But than a part of me thinks that maybe Alison is still alive but IDK how that would work beings that they already found her body.

March 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jan

I think Melissa killed Alison, and she and Ian got married to give each other alibis.

March 24, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lorin

Garett is the cop NOT Alison's brother.

March 24, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. Yummie

June still far!! I simply love Caleb, hope he and Hanna gets together in S2!! Can't wait

March 24, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sally

OMG! (I said it too.) Such a funny commentary! And Jenna's room is just really creepy in general.. It looks like a grandma lives there. Thanks for talking about one of my fave shows!

March 23, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shakespeare

Much ado about nothing. Methinks thou shouldst changeth the channel, forsooth and anon.

March 23, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mary

ian did look cute tho when he said im doing this because i love ur sister

March 23, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. hannah

the cop who happened to be with jenna then in the forest is alis brother garret so she couldnt of have been dating him ad it shows the caleb scene after the accident so it couldnt of been caleb and lucas maybe it was knoll ccon

March 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rewatchtheending

Ian never admitted to killing Alison. If you re watch the church scene and listen carefully you will hear Ian describing a note in which HE left on Spencer's computer. The note describes how Spencer pushed Alison to her death and that she could no longer live with the guilt of that night. Therefore the note was that of a sucide note and everying, including the death of Spencer was planned making me believe that Melissa knew what was going to happen to Spencer at the church and purposley left her cell phone there for Spencer to retreive. I doubt even if Melissa is pregnant. I have no doubt that both Ian and Melissa are in on framing Spencer. Why else would Ian say "I am doing this because I love Melissa...?" Melissa knew everything before the accident even happened. I bet the accident itself was even planned.

March 23, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. cgm

I think Melissa is in on it, "i'm doing this because I love Melissa"....helloooo.

March 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. alexis

lova tha show but who is "A"

March 23, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lorin

Chell- If you read the book series of Pretty Little Liars you may get some answers but not all.... They said they are not basing the show on the book! But go read the books, they are amazing!

March 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Chell

I thought Melissa & Spencer were hit by Lucas & Caleb...how come that wasn't shown?? I was waiting for the reunion of Hannah & Caleb but I have a sinking feeling that it was him int he car that hit Spence. Oh the drama and the suspense...love it! I wasn't sure how they come drag out the A thing but it's going good. Also, these are based on books...if read, will the answers to all these questions be known???Hmmmmm

March 23, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  23. Elizabeth

Does anyone else think that maybe Ian faked his death? With help from A? Remember the text ...from here on nothing is as it seems (something like that)... He wasn't hanging from his neck, his body was tangled in the ropes. It could all be part of the plot to discredit the girls, mess with their heads and turn everyone against them. Yes, a bit far-fetched but so are a lot of things that happen on this show. (Love it anyway!) I was expecting to see him standing at the back of the crowd during the final scene.

March 23, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  24. Rebecka

What an episode!
    Seldom does a show keep me interested without revealing it's secrets for so long.

I agree with the above posters saying that Jenna didn't necessarily speak to Ian on the phone. I am afraid for Caleb and Lucas since we saw them together in a car moments before the accident.

Given how all male characters are on this show, I've seen a problem with officer-neighbour-boy from miles away but it was still creepy how he showed up with a gun asking if anybody else knew they were there. Also, when Alison talks about the boy next door, most probably it's Ian but it could also be a certain young cop living next door.

I do have one negative thing to say about the episode. While the twist with Ian's missing body is great, I thought it was a bit far fetched that somebody was able to remove the body before the cops arrived. Without any of the Liras noticing, no less!

Other than that....awesome, can't wait till June!

PS Anybody notice Noel showing up at the very end watching from behind police lines...was that a hoodie he was wearing?

March 23, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  25. Bill & Ted

We watched it once. LAME. Changed the channel. 'nuff said.

March 23, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  26. D

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

March 23, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  27. The Real A

If you only knew. Until next time b*t*hes.

March 22, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. OMG! PUKE!

Who whatches this cr*p? And exactly what is it? One of those lame CW shows for 20 somethings? What a waste of valuable airtime.

March 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • dtcpr

OMG! Who has such a dull and boring life that they read and comment on articles that mean nothing to them. I'm sure you waste your *precious* time with Bob's Burgers and My Name is Earl re-runs. Do us all a favor and let us enjoy our TV shows and we'll let you enjoy yours. Troll!

March 23, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Bill & Ted

Mike Masters: dude, we were just wonderin'... what's up with this cowbell fetish?

March 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  30. soooo

I was talking to a few people about last nights episode and someone mentioned that maybe Spencer crashed into Caleb and Lucas...and i also agree that Mona is most likely going to have a bigger role next season.
    I was already hooked to the show but last nights episode made me love it even more! I really can't wait for next season!!!

March 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Mike Masters

More cowbell!

March 22, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. A

Ok with the snowglobe thing, i wonder if the snowglobe that Allison gave emily was one of the ones that Jenna had. There is a connection there i know it! Or if Allison was dating the cop and the cop gave her the snowglobe too (A small chance but worth mentioning)

This was a great epsiode, im just glad that Spencer is alive cause i was scared!

BTW Mona is a trick for doing that to Hanna, i know she is going to have a bigger role in the 2nd season.

March 22, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Lorin

Yeah, I was wondering if Ian was even speaking to Jenna too. I definitely think it was meant to look that way. I kept pausing on the part where "A" comes to save Spencer and when "A" is on the side of Spencer it looks as though they have long wavy hair but than when they come up behind Ian they have the hood on. So I don't get it? I was wondering if Ian was the one who hit the car with Spencer and Melissa in it or was Melissa and Ian working together to frame Spencer? Lets face it Melissa is very excepting of all the things Ian has done... kissing her sister, dating Allison... who are very much younger than Ian himself. Melissa KNOWS a lot about Ian that could get everyone off of Spencers back but she chooses not too... Sometimes I think it's Ian who is covering for Melissa but other times I think Melissa is covering for Ian. This episode was absolutely amazing and I really don't want to wait until June to find out more.

March 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  34. El Jefe

Good lawd, where is that scary black man leading those white womans to?

March 22, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  35. MB

Are you sure that Jenna was talking with Ian and not the cop??? I got the impression the creative editing was leading you to believe it was Ian, but I am not so sure, I think Ian was talking with A not Jenna.

March 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • CK

I'm thinking the same way you are!

March 22, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie Goldberg, CNN.com writer

Good thinking! I wonder how Ian and Jenna are connected then. Think we'll ever find out what was in the bag he gave her a few episodes back?

March 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

Didn't the show clearly switch to show Jenna was on the phone with Ian?

And the reviewer never mentioned Lucas bringing Caleb back for Hanna.

March 23, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |