Jodie Foster didn't think Kristen Stewart would act
March 21st, 2011

Jodie Foster didn't think Kristen Stewart would act

Kristen Stewart is one of the most in-demand young actresses in Hollywood, but her former co-star, Jodie Foster, swears she didn't see it coming.

"I just love Kristen Stewart, but I didn't think she'd choose to be an actress," Foster, who played Stewart's mother in the 2002 thriller "Panic Room," tells the Hollywood Reporter. "I said to her mom, 'She doesn't want that, right?' And she's like, ‘Well, yes, she kind of does.'"

Foster believed the "Twilight" star would opt out of show business because she seemed so reserved.

"She's very much like me: She's not comfortable in life being a big externally emotional person, beating her chest, crying every five minutes," says "The Beaver" director. "I felt she was such an intelligent technician, so interested in camera – I thought that would translate to other things.”

1. Bauhaustm

Ok, I think Jody was probably trying to tell Stewart's mother to not be a stage mom and force her to work. As for her acting, there certainly are worse and better out there making successful movies. I don't get the appeal personally. Every actor is only good as their directors allow. For example, look at Hallie Berry in Monster's Ball and then watch Cat Woman. HUGE difference and CW was made years after MB. Besides that, EVERY young actor is blowing smoke because they want to be cast in a movie that will have a high box office turnout and hopefully propel their own career. Watch cast interviews ... all actors kiss up to the director (so-and-so is the BEST director to work with....blah blah blah) because they want that director to champion them for a part down the road. Hollywood is all about making money, it's a business ... not the "fluff and fashion" you see on E!

March 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Janet

I find it amusing that someone whose acting ability equates to dairy products rotting in sunlight would say such things. Granted, Kristen Stewart is only 21 years old and has the acting ability of a stoned 10th grader, but she could have a future in the film industry...selling popcorn and $10 candy bars.

April 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jay

She's better than the craptastic children of Will Smith that are being force fed down our throat.

April 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • brynn

That much i can agree with.though stewart isn't far behind them in my opinion...

August 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AgentM

Does she realize that KStew has never acted?

April 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. peacH

cant stand her acting. watching twilight makes me cringe. the first one was fine but after the 2nd one i never sw them again

April 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jj

Can't you people read? It's only 4 paragraphs – and it's CNN, so not a lot of comprehension is required. No wonder they dumb-down their articles so much!
    She said she didn't think KS wanted a CAREER as an actor. She made no mention of her ability, aside from her interest in the behind the camera stuff.

April 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Adam

Using "like" as a comma, Jodie? For shame!

April 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Henry

i'd do them both

March 27, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ra Poohbah

One of the hallmarks of good acting is the ability to emote believable expressions of vulnerability and strength while speaking as few onscreen words as possible. Both Jodi and Kristen have that talent. No matter what you may think of the Twilight movies as a whole, Kristen was perfectly cast as Bella Swan. Kristen was also very good in the Lifetime cable movie, Speak. Having nailed the emotionally complicated sensitive teenager role, it will be interesting if she can stretch her abilities and evolve her onscreen persona as she grows older – something few child actors ever accomplish.

March 23, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

I agree with this post! Kristen chose to act on complicated troubled and boring teenagers. I think some people should give her some credit for that. It's funny how these "haters" comment that she's expressionless. What kind of expression do you like if you're acting an awkward, troubled, and dull teenager? tell me please. If she's acting the same, that's because she's playing characters with similar issues. In yellow handkerchief (critics gave her positive reviews in this), she's more jolly but a troubled teenager too. Oh don't forget Zathura. I actually forgot that she's in that movie because she's totally different from Bella there. I think this girl has her moments.

December 1, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LMG

I thought she got better in the next two Twilight films ...not so much stuttering and lip biting. She did a good job in Welcome To The Riley's. But, I do not think she is great. Maybe I am missing something b/c other actors in Hollywood...young and old think she is amazing. I do not see amazing. I give her a 5 out of 10 on the acting scale.

March 23, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JF Fan

I think Jodie Foster is a class act and has the most beautiful, expressive blue eyes I've ever seen! Her comments were probably taken out of context, and she was probably trying to tactfully say that Kristen's talents lie in other areas. I agree with that. I think, as an "actress," Kristen's probably a flash in the pan. Unless she can learn to emote, I don't think there's a future there for her as an actress. Then again, B movies with washed up actresses are made every day, so who am I to say??

March 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • gphx

Sorry there's no 'Like' button next to your post. Jodie is about the same age as I am so I can't ever remember not being a fan.

April 11, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brad

Has anyone read the article??????' She said she did not think Kristien WOULD act.. NOT that she thought Kristen COULD not act....BIG difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sandi105

Jelous, Jodie??? – Kirsten is very Lauren Bacal....she's on her way to being a legend. Excellent young actress always getting better; classy and elegant in keeping her personal life her own.

March 23, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • LuLu

You have got to be joking – comparing Kirsten Stewart to Lauren Bacall? You are delusional.

March 23, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • gphx

BAHAHAHA! You're hilarious. You're so skilled at subtle satire it's astonishing. How did you keep a straight face?

April 11, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff

For all the "haters" out there, She (Kristen) must have done something right seeing as a few million of us can't wait for the 4th Twilight movie to come out. And as for Jodie, she has come out and even 30+ years after her 1st movie, she is still a respected actress. It's great to see someone that actually picks rolls instead of them becoming over saturated in 3 years by a bunch of crap stuff. Sandra Bullock seems to be taking that roll on as well.

March 23, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • gphx

'A few million of us' is no big deal considering millions of 'us' are thirteen years old or younger.

April 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. D

Oh, I can read, and I knew what the artical was really about- I just choose to change the topic.

March 23, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  16. eerin

I guess most people on here cannot read. Foster only says she didn't believe Kristen would pursue acting only because she believed Kristen didn't enjoy it.

March 22, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

Oh, I can read, I just choose to change the topic

March 23, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Dumbreplies

Ok...I never reply in these tablet comment sections however, I can't help myself this time. The ignorance in here is unreal! Jodie Foster was giving her a compliment! This proves more and more the educational system is failing in this country! Learn to READ and understand what you are reading people!!

March 31, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liutgard

Partly right, at least. It's patently obvious that she doesn't enjoy it...

April 1, 2011 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  17. D

You don't have to be gay to watch the Twilight movies-just a fan of vampire stories

March 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  18. BUFFALO

I thought she did a pretty good job as Joan Jett in "The Runaways". But I'm not gay so I haven't seen any of the "Twilight movies. It doesn't seem to take much these days to be called a "star". Most of these people either O.D. or just fade-away. Thankfully.

March 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. guest212

*********Really people, read the article, it is more or less a paragraph. Jodie said she didn't think Kristen WOULD act, not COULD act. She thought she'd choose a different career path.

Lars: Jodie IS out of the closet**************

March 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kkkkkatie

Just my opinion. :-) Kristin Stewart is the most uninteresting actress working today. She has the same expression on her face at all times! I recognize that we all have a personality that sets us apart from others but even during the talk show and interview rounds for the Twilight movies I never saw her look happy. ( I have teenage nieces and they love Twilight) Considering she is a mediocre actress and average looking to boot, I would think she'd be happy to find herself so successful.

March 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. sally sue

Well Jodie Foster's right again. Stewart may be in films but she sure doesn't act.

March 22, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  22. D

I agree with you %100 Lunella. She's not a very good actress and she wont grow to be a better one as long as people keep handing her the same roles. Even Dakota Fanning is a better actress than Kristen Stewart-and she's younger.

March 22, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  23. Lunella

Kristen Stewart is the Jennifer Aniston/ Rachel for the 20YO crowd... she plays the same character no matter what movie she's in- wooden, dull and lifeless.

March 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jam

I like her but not the movies she is in.when she is being interviewed she seems like she has a good head on her shoulders I hope someone gives her a role that acually requires acting.

March 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Rachel

Kristen is a good actress for her age. She does have some growing to do in the acting field, as all actors do when they start out young.

Give this girl a break, people. She is a natural on screen.... you get what you see both on screen and in real life.

Kudos to you, Kristen. You are wonderful and I love you in your movies!

March 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • LuLu

Sorry, but I can name a boatload of child stars who didn't need to do any "growing in the acting field." Kristen Stewart doesn't hold a candle to any of these actors:

Leonard di Caprio, Anna Paquin (Oscar at 11YO), Drew Barrymore, Christian Bale, Jodie Foster, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jerry O'Connell, not to mention Ron Howard, Natalie Portman, and Neil Patrick Harris. And the list goes on....

March 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

She doesn't need time, she needs lessons. How much more time do you think she'll need? She's had about 10 years to be seasoned.

March 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • LuLu

And add to that list Elizabeth Taylor also a child star. RIP Ms Taylor.

March 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liutgard

Heck, even Lindsay was better...

April 1, 2011 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  26. Count Dracula

Real vampires don't think she is hot or even worth getting out of the coffin for...

March 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Triumph

She's a great actress... For me to poop on!

March 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tiffany H

Wow are you people kidding?? Kristin Stewart can act. Don't let your anger color your opinion. And yeah she wasn't ever given the role of the perky cheerleader, she doesn't exactly look the part. It's called typecasting so yes her roles were similar. She was a pale teen what did you want from her?? Frankly I liked her in Speak.

March 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emily

I agree that Kristen was excellent in "Speak" and "The Cake Eaters."

March 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jenny

Okay.....The Cake Eaters and Welcome to the Reilly's.....once you have seen those movies....then you can say how you feel about her acting. She was amazing in both films. Jealousy is a nasty little creature.

March 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimber

I'm not being sarcastic as I write this, but here we go again – being accused of jealousy simply because a "negative" opinion has been expressed. No one here is jealous, Jenny. Some people just don't think Ms. Stewart can act. There's nothing wrong with saying it. I honestly don't think it's being said to hurt Kristen.

March 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • lunella

I second Kimber. It's not jealousy in any way, shape or form just because the view is different from yours.

March 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christa

I agree with Kimber. I saw Twilight and thought "this is the actress everyone is raving about? Really?" I tried to give Ms. Stewart a fair shot and watched The Cake Eaters, Into the Wild, , Speak and The Messengers. She's the most one dimensional actress I've ever had the displeasure of watching. If eye fluttering, lip biting and looking sullen were the earmarks of true talent, then Kristen would be at the top. I'm sorry but she's not good.

March 22, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sailor Girl

I love the Twilight films so I started looking into other movies Kristen Stewart has done. She is not a good actress. All her roles are the same. Her mannerisms, facial expressions...it's like she can't get into the person she is portraying. :( Too bad.

March 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • hannah

if you knew what you were talking about then you'd know that all young actresses and actors play themselves. They just won't have the life experience to play anyone else, that takes time. At least Kristen Stewart is natural unlike the terrible Emma Watson for example.

March 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liutgard

*choke* Excuse me? Kristen 'natural' and Emma not? Frankly, there has been a lot of growth in Emma over the years, but from the 3rd Potter film on her acting has been far and away better than Stewart's. Interesting how Emma is still being sought after...

April 1, 2011 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  31. WrestleMania X

Someone needs to slap that smirk off of Kristens Lantern Jaw. I DARE HER TO ENTER THE SQUARED CIRCLE.

March 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. shawnl

As the family guy said... she's terrible.

March 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kimber

"Kristen Stewart is one of the most in-demand young actresses in Hollywood." REALLY? WHY? Why do untalented people in HW become so successful while most the the truly talented people don't? I just don't get it.

March 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • agree

i have to agree- it's all luck tho
      still, there are so many really talented people looking to act, it's a shame people much less talented but perhaps better represented get the parts

March 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Di

Kristen Stewart is just a terrible actress. I just don't get her appeal. I don't think she'd have a career, but for the success of "Twilight".

March 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • hanah

er hello, she already had a good career long before twilight and she probably will afterwards. You really shouldn't parade your ignorance.

March 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  35. LEE

Jodie is right, the girl can't act. She always looks sleepy or mad.

March 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Arbee

Oh, I hadn't realized Kristen Stewart started acting... and I've seen the Twilight movies. Did she decide to try acting AFTER those were filmed? ; )

March 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ali

ok, that was just about the funniest thing i ever read :)

March 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

Apparently biting your bottom lip as a character quirk for every character you play is considered acting these days.

March 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Timme62

Stewart can act??? She always looks like she's going to hurl at any moment.

March 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Im pitching a tent

Jodie Foster...classy as ever.

March 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • lars

Jodie Foster commenting on someone else's "acting" ability. ahahahahahaha...my god. Jodie, just come out of the closet and worry about yourself.

March 22, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • kkkkkatie

lars, you may not be a Jodie Foster fan but she has outlasted a lot of other actresses in Hollywood. She is well respected and you NEVER hear any trash about her personal life. That can't be said about a lot of young actresses these days.

March 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Lars, she came out of the closet years ago.

March 23, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Hey lars, you genius, she came out of the closet years ago. Can YOU act, and direct? Silence of the Lambs is one of the best films ever. I get the feeling you'd pee yourself if you had to do one of those scenes. The bully's are usually wimpy, and least imaginative.

March 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arglebargle

Lars, sounds like you're the one who needs to come out of the closet. Seriously, "I'm pitching a tent"?
      Talk about trolling for some guy-guy action. LMAO!!

March 31, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |