Kevin Costner joins 'Superman'
March 18th, 2011

Kevin Costner joins 'Superman'

Exciting news for "Superman" fans! Kevin Costner has joined the cast of the upcoming "Superman" movie.

As has been rumored, Costner will play Smallville resident Jonathan Kent, the father of Superman's alter ego, Clark Kent.

"Jonathan Kent is the only father figure Clark has ever had, the man who was there to help Clark understand what he was meant to do in the world as Superman," Warner Bros. said in a statement to the Hollywood Reporter. "Kevin will be able to communicate the quiet strength of this rural American man who raised the greatest superhero of all time."

Costner joins the previously cast Henry Cavill, who will play the title character, and Diane Lane, who will portray Clark's mother, Martha Kent.

Now on to more important matters: We already know what Andrew Garfield will be wearing when the "The Amazing Spider-Man" returns to the big screen, but what about Cavill's costume in the Superman reboot?

”I can't say—although I appreciate the question," director Zack Snyder tells the L.A. Times. But that doesn't mean he won't give fans a sneak preview of the Man of Steel's ensemble once production gets underway. "We're going to have to show it before we shoot, probably a while before that because [otherwise] someone will be on the set and get a picture of it.”

Snyder is a bit more forthcoming about how he plans to tell the superhero's story.

"We're making a movie that finally goes with the approach that there's been no other Superman movies," Snyder says. "If you look at 'Batman Begins,' there's that structure, there's the canon that we know about and respect, but on the other hand there's this approach that pre-supposes that there haven't been any other movies. In every aspect of design and of story, the whole thing is very much from that perspective of respect the canon but don't be a slave to the movies."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Spider-Man

1. danny

How long before it comes on HBO, sure would not spend any money to go to the movies these days.

March 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Victor

Ok, so we have the Earth parents. Now, who are they going to cast for Jor-El and Lara?

March 21, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. troy

Whatever happend with superman's son. he pushed a piano away to save his mother. are they gonna continue with that story line and build from there?

March 19, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • D

Huh, forgot about that-that would be cool if they continued the storyline from superman's son...

March 21, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. jerseygirl

I know this goes back a long way but KC was great in Bull Durham.

March 19, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mike Masters

They need to reboot water world. More cow bell!

March 18, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. D

I think Cosner's a good pick for the part-fan of Kevin Cosner-now we'll have good male actors in a superman movie finally. Looking foward to seeing it.

March 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carlos

This is all really funny, the comments I mean. But just like everything else we argue about, it´s only an opinion, yours, mine, hers, his.

March 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jackd

Only costner movies i didn't like were The Postman and the one with all the guys playing Elvis and the heist in Vegas.
    Not smallville fan. Liked superman I better than 2 & 3. Would probably see a new version 1 again.

March 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. FRAN

Well now I can miss this movie .....so not a Costner fan the man can not act !

March 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Richard Allen

Lets see how he does, then give our opinions.

March 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Da Truth

Costner joins Superman:
    8==D (*(

March 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ebony

You're in idiot and far from funny.

March 18, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ebony

Mmm mmm mm....Kevin Costner is still fine!!

March 18, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kal

Great. Once Costner is attached we can guarantee a flop. The "retelling" angle is getting old to begin with, Everybody knows about the orphan found by the morally upright farmers. But Costner? Really? Since Dances with Whales has there been a good Costner film?

March 18, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Ebony

Sheesh....a bit harsh ay?

March 18, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Quintus

I'm sure you've been much more successful in your career than Costner....

March 18, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesse

Right, because SILVERADO, THE UNTOUCHABLES, THE BODYGUARD, NO WAY OUT, FIELD OF DREAMS, TIN CUP, and DANCES WITH WOLVES were all such flops. Yeah, what a loser.

March 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • 8==D (o(

Kevin is a worse than Nick Cage.

March 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Aaron

Completely unnecessary and bigoted. Go back to your hole, troll.

March 18, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. Aaron

Great pick for Johnathan kent... but I'm curious about how they are going to do a modern retelling of Superman directly on the heels of a 10 year show (Smallville) doing just that. With Smallville winding down this year, it would seem to me the modern retelling is complete and there should be no need to a 'reeboot' on the big screen. Seems redundant for DC to do so. I get that not everyone has watched Smallville, but everyone universally knows the Superman story. Batman begins did ok, but The Dark Knight was a landslide victory. Maybe DC/WB should skip the reboot concept and focus on just showing Superman as the fans have been dying to see: taking on something more than Lex Luthor's intellect and doing some serious butt kicking. I would rather watch that than I would seeing him back on the farm for half the movie.

March 18, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • John

I for one am looking forward to it... and I haven't watched five minutes of the SMALLVILLE. And I'm sure that there are plenty of others out there like me.

March 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

I'm with John on this one...I never got into SMALLVILLE, no interest. I'm more and more liking the sound of this film. With Zack Snyder at the wheel, I have no doubt it'll be EPIC!

March 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |