NBC renews 'The Office,' 'Parks and Rec,' 'Community'
March 17th, 2011

NBC renews 'The Office,' 'Parks and Rec,' 'Community'

Thursday night comedy fans, rejoice! All of NBC's Thursday night veteran shows will be back next season.

The network announced today that they will be renewing "The Office" (without Steve Carell), "Parks and Recreation" and "Community." (Does this mean that the replacement for Carell has been picked? What are the odds that NBC would pick up the show without knowing who the new star is going to be?)

It's also good news for the TV critics, who have been voicing their passionate support for both "Parks" and "Community" this season. (And it also means that Rob Lowe definitely isn't replacing Charlie Sheen.)

Bob Greenblatt, the new chairman of NBC entertainment, said in a statement that, "Along with '30 Rock,' [these series] represent the best of what the NBC comedy brand stands for in terms of originality, wit, and sophistication." ("30 Rock" was renewed back in November.)

Some of the stars reacted on Twitter, including "Parks'" Aziz Ansari: "Parks and Rec is NEW tonight at 930 on NBC. It's a really funny episode. Also we got picked up for Season 4! #IAlsoAteSomeGreatBBQToday"

Gillian Jacobs from "Community" tweeted, "I am so happy! I love our show! I love our fans! Thank you for watching and thank you NBC for another year of hijinks. #doubledreamhands"

And "Community" creator Dan Harmon had a different theory: "They're celebrating St. Paddy's at NBC. Crazy drunks picked us up for a 3rd season. Thank you, NBC and all our viewers."

One big question left for NBC's schedule next season is whether the Monday night lineup of "Chuck," "The Event" and "Harry's Law" will come back. It could be May before we find out the answer to that.

In the meantime, are you happy to hear this news? Are you willing to give another season of "The Office" a chance?

1. Vanessa

Web post

July 30, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Vanessa

I want post comments on the web

July 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Vanessa

I want post comments on the community website

July 30, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. website pros

Very Very Very Very disappointing that steve carell is not going to be back at the office. I don't know how they're going to make this work. Should just end the series. He is such a major part, it just isn't going to be the same anymore.

March 25, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Disco Spider

Community, without a doubt, is a great show. It is very clever and unique. Everything else, eh.

March 22, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Nathan

I'm so happy! This is the best Thursday night lineup NBC has had in years!

March 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DollToTheWall

Last night's Community was a little weak, but that's a rarity. I'm so psyched that it's been renewed – truly original and incredibly clever. (It could use a little bit of backing off on the Chang, though...)

March 18, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. Julie

The Office has been on long enough already. It's run its course. Michael Scott is so stupid it stopped being funny years ago–will definitely not miss him. Parks & Rec lost me after 1 episode, and man, that had MAJOR hype for several months before it premiered. 30 Rock is never going to leave. Love, love, love Community, though!!! That's some excellent writing and a just right sized ensemble cast of great, funny actors (not 20 people in the cast like The Office, which keeps getting bigger and bigger.)

March 18, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sarah A.

This is Fantastic News! I have really loved Parks and Recs this season. I honestly think it is funnier than the office. I also love community. I'm not sure about the office I wish it would just end on a high note. The only way the office could redeem itself is if they got Ricky Gervais to take over for michael. 30 rock is great but if they don't renew Baldwin's contract than the shows days are numbered. NBC is a great channel I'm excited for PanAm next fall.

March 18, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. Fed up

No Steve Carell and treating Coco like they did, I'm not watching any NBC anytime soon.

March 17, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TB

Can't STAND any of the shows they saved and yet once again they are jerking us around on CHUCK! COME ON! RENEW IT ALREADY!

March 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. AC

CHUCK has to be saved!!! It's the best/smartest hour-long comedy around!!!

March 17, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kevin

Community is my favorite comedy on TV! (Modern Family is second). Community rules, you must try it out for a few episodes!

March 17, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ShowHunter

These 3 shows are Communists!!!

March 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Superhiro

Meh @ these 3 shows. Never really considered any of them anything special.

March 17, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |