Jodie Foster: God, I love Mel Gibson
March 17th, 2011

Jodie Foster: God, I love Mel Gibson

Mel Gibson has been at the center of a firestorm for months now, recently pleading "no contest" to a misdemeanor battery charge, but he does have a shoulder to lean on thanks to his “Beaver” co-star Jodie Foster.

The actress and director defended an embattled Gibson at "The Beaver’s” SXSW premiere, telling CNN, "I feel incredibly grateful to have Mel Gibson's performance in this film. I wouldn't have changed anything... All sorts of stuff happened, but I don't regret anything."

The movie centers on Walter Black (Gibson), "a successful toy executive and family man who now suffers from depression" and turns to a beaver puppet to help him communicate and get his life back on track.

Foster added to the Hollywood Reporter at the premiere that, “If anything, I think anybody who comes to see the film and understands Mel's extraordinary performance in the movie can't go away untouched by his humanity."

It’s a side of the actor that Foster’s come to know well, she says in an interview with the magazine, on newsstands in New York and Los Angeles today.

“He’s so incredibly loving and sensitive, he really is,” she says.“He is the most loved actor I have ever worked with on a movie. And he’s not saintly, and he’s got a big mouth, and he’ll do gross things your nephew would do. But I knew the minute I met him that I would love him the rest of my life.”

She reiterated that affection in the interview, saying, “God, I love that man…The performance he gave in [‘The Beaver’], I will always be grateful for. He brought a lifetime of pain to the character that we’ve been talking about for years, that I knew was part of his psyche and who he is. It’s part of him that is beautiful and that I want people to know, too. I can’t ever regret that.”

Foster, who said Gibson talked to her about his relationship with ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva before it hit the press, adds that she knows the actor “in a very complex way.”

To her, “He’s a real person; he’s not a cardboard cutout,” she tells THR. “I know that he has troubles, and when you love somebody you don’t just walk away from them when they are struggling.”

"The Beaver" is scheduled to open in limited release on May 6, before going wide on May 20.

Filed under: Celebrities • Mel Gibson • movies

1. steven

Actors are people and regardless of what this man has done, I respect him for his work and his talent. I also appreciate the fact hes probably more "human" than most of the other so called stars.

The other fact is everyone is so in love with Charlie Sheen and his bs ways, yet everyone jumps on this guy and we don't even know the real facts of what is going on.

April 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

I seriously doubt any violence Mel is accused of doing was even a tenth of what Chris Brown did to Rihanna yet even though he was nearly completely forgiven for beating a Woman to a bloody pulp, Mel Gibson on the other hand will be black balled from Hollywood forever, not matter what. However, the mere mention of the of it to Brown in a question and he throws a chair threw a window like he is a victim, not even realizing how lucky he is to be forgiven of such a terrible crime when based on what he showed he does not seem that sorry for, just humiliated. Gibson on the other hand was outed from being on Hangover 2 because of the drunken anti Jewish remarks he make 5 years ago, not even because of this recent stuff.

Not that Gibson is in any way innocent or right or that these cases are connected, just pointing out the hypocrisy of people. Is Gibson so hated because of the domestic violence charge or the anger or was it the racial slur on the tape? I think everyone knows the answer. So what is worse beating your girlfriend like she was a man to a bloody pulp or some racial slurs? People have their priorities out of whack.

Mel Gibson dug his own hole, he said and did these things on his own even if his wife is a gold digger who set him up to be recorded which she obviously did. he still acted that way drunk or not. However his chances of being accepted in Hollywood again to any real extent no matter what he does to try and redeem himself are almost zero

The hypocrisy is absurd.

April 5, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Michael

I guess I am not the only one who is intelligent enough to realize that Jesse Jackson does more to promote racism in this country than anybody!

March 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. D

The Russian gold digger probably deserved what she got-I know how those crazy B!tches are...

March 19, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. Brooks

Jodie isn't mainstream in her views herself. She likes being on the fringe. Regardless, Mel has some serious demons. Haunted by a racist father – obviously his mind is confused and when hammered those demons definitely come out in force. As for wife beating – he's depressed – fallen off a very high horse – and has been knocked into the dirt, kicked, lost his sense of purpose, respect, etc. so then he thinks getting with this young beauty will immortalize him but that doesn't work cause she isn't really in love with him and then he sinks even lower. She probably only was intimate until she got pregnant and then Mel feels used – drinking again – and then those demons come out and kaboom. He's definitely got issues but I'm sure there is the warm side to him. He is an amazing actor – heck, before publicly demonstrating his anti-semitic feeling, Braveheart was no doubt a very feeling evoking film. Again, the guy is good at what he does. But money, power, rejection, depression, etc. it's all the same how it affects people. So, should he be shunned? Maybe not, but he hasn't really (as a public figure should) apologized to his fans or made a mends – so until he really gets that done there are lots who will never let it go. I'm not dying to shake the guys hand for sure.

March 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kathy

she really loves him? after the recent conviction of mel gibson .... its really strange...

March 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Andy Rooney

Didya ever notice how full of crap everybody is these dsays?

March 17, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dirtybear

@kareen I bet people can say the samething about you!

March 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chant5205

I want to see this. I want to see what was going on inside this guy. I'm wondering if this movie might shed some light.
    It's usually there in films if you're paying attention. Artists/entertainers apparently are expected to be better people than the rest of the world. They aren't. They're got flaws just like everyone else.

My mother who was the victim of domestic abuse and is now free of it thank god, said this:
    There seems to be something out of whack about that whole situation and the woman he was involved with seemed to be creating a situation to get his money.

She also said, in any case he needs to get out of the news and back into the movies since he's a good film maker. I don't want to know about his personal life, I just don't want my $10 at the movies to go for a crap movie and I like to see the movies of someone who consistently throughout his career made good ones.

March 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. John Hinckley Jr.

Hey Jodie :) I still love you...watch out Mel, she'll drive you nuts too! I see you've been losen it too...Obama better watch out for you!

March 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. @Jesse

I don't see why that pertains to this article as Mel is both racist and hurt his wife so why bring that up?

March 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dirtybear

Some ofyou sound like sheep being led around by the missinformed,where are the real facts?

March 17, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. RichP, easton, pa

Mel, learn to keep it in your pants. It is much less expensive that way.

March 17, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jdog

actors will say and do ANYTHING when their movie is out, absolutley anything..the machine of marketing and their narcisistic natures supercede anything else....would you say otherwise and risk your career?? In Hollywood??? pffffffffffft
    How many actors come out and say their new movie is garbage, that so and so is an idot-tool....marketing and MONEY trump all in thier world...

March 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jesse

Why is it bad to be a racist, or make a racist remark, but it's perfectly acceptable to cheat on your wife or husband? Everyone loves Brad Pitt and Angeline Jolie, but they had an affair while one of them was married. Oh that's right, sticking your penis in someone and lying to your spouse is cool, not a bad thing at all.

Words mean nothing at the end of the day, cheating and bringing home diseases and or hurting your wife and kids is much worse than saying a word.

People need to grow up and get their priorities straight!

March 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • chicky

Jessie, You are soo right…Mel said some really f!@#$$ up things But What other people have actually DONE is soo much worse…It makes you really think about things

March 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sleepingkoala

Um, hate to point out the obvious but Mel CHEATED on his wife of 27 years and mother of his 7 children with this Russian bimbo.
      At least Mel manned up and took the rap, unlike so many celebs (hear that Lindsay and Charlie?).
      I used to love Mel too, but I'm Jewish, and well....it just wouldn't work between us.

March 29, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. The Beaver

Yay!! I get a new mommy and daddy...Fodie Joster and Gel Mibson :)

March 17, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Superhiro

Man... actually reading what Jodie said makes me feel like someone's making her say this. She can't honestly believe that Mel is "the most loved actor she's ever worked with on a movie." I can accept that she says she personally loves him but I can't imagine anybody really believes that Mel Gibson of ALL people, is the most loved actor she's ever worked with.

March 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  18. YOUBRO

ID GRUB A LITTLE OF JO FRO'S BEAV

March 17, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Fodie Joster

Oh I just can't get enough of Mel slappin me senseless and chipping my teeth, cause I get to go to my dentist who I really love.
    ssshhh don't tell Mel...

March 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kareen

I really thought Jodie has better taste in friends.

March 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. THE KING

Mel was just calling a spade a spade. Guess "you people" cant handle the truth. HA HA HA!

March 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JR

I though " The Beaver " was the Jerry ("Leave it to Beaver")Mathers Story?. That would have been awesome...I'm not going to this movie.

March 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Todd

He’s so incredibly loving and sensitive, he really is,”

Yeah, these are the words I would use to describe a women beater and one of the biggest anti semites in the world. Someone should check Jodie Foster for her matching Swaztika, just like the one Mel has somewhere on his body. And I love how she uses his ACTING in this movie to demonstrate what a great person he is. Uh Jodie, he is ACTING, in other words, portraying a fictional image for a movie. What a dope she is

March 17, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floyd

Method Actors draw from personal experience and personal emotions. All the great ones have....Brando, DeNiro, Warren Beatty etc.......see Lee Strasberg. That is what she is referring to. He went somewhere in his life and deep in his psyche to create the character. It is a trained skill and is draining and messes you up emotionally. Heath Ledger could not deal with what it did to him.
      But, Mel has said some stupid things too....like you haven't though. A person CAN change. Get over it.

March 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. JR

@ Steven Seagal......Stay classy my friend.

March 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Superhiro

Yea... neither Lohan nor Sheen launch off into racist tirades or beat their spouses(Not to my knowledge at least with Sheen.) Sheen and Lohan are SELF destructive. Mel directs his hatred towards others.

March 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floyd

Dude,
      Sheen held a knife to his wife's throat...what do you call that?
      Give Lohan some time, she'll hit someone.
      I'll bet you have said derogatory remarks about another race, religion or 'special interest group' at some point in your life. The hypocrisy on this board is crazy.

March 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburnach

And I do believe Sheen had a "mysterious" incident where one of his ex's got shot.

March 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • chicky

Charlie held a knife to his wife’s throat –Mel never did that…Charlie has been employed over a year after that incident..Mel was taped while doing his alcoholic rants with a definite GOLD DIGGER looking to soak him for more $$.. Her first child’s baby daddy is Timothy Dalton so she’ looking to get set for life by trapping these men..so obvious

March 17, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sleepingkoala

Um...Charlie Sheen was charged in Denver and I believe pleaded guilty to assaulting his wife in Colorado a few years ago.

I know a lot of men are falsely accused of DV because it is so easy to do, and the legal system is very well prepared to label all men as violent perps and all women as ditzy victims. (I've been the alleged victim and I know how it works).

BUT, can't say I can defend Mel either, seeing as I'm Jewish and he'd hate me regardless and wouldn't want my support.

March 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  26. I LOVE MEL

Mel is an AMAZING actor and I for one think he has his faults but still support him, I don't believe he is a wife beater and as for the things he said who hasn't said mean nasty things in a fit of rage i for one can not say that i haven't and if you say you haven't you are just lying to yourself or a saint..

March 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  27. John

People are complicated and not everything about Mel Gibson or Lindsay Lohan or Charlie Sheen (well maybe not him-that's a joke) is bad or negative. People are not absolutely evil nor absolutely good. These days it seems that we pigeonhole people in one hole or another and in our minds that's where they are on everything, a sad mistake. I'm sure Mr. Gibson has some positive qualities whether its his work or his interests or his charity. Simply associating someone with all negatives or all positives is not reality. If we learn to be more discerning, we will have a better outlook on things.

March 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • JMC

Well said!!! And to Jodie...I always thought you were a great actress. It's nice to see that you're a great friend also. Well done!!

March 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Superhiro

Yea kelli... because YOU know him soooo well right? Even if Mel isn't a confirmed wife beater he IS a confirmed racist D-bag isn't he? Stop defending him

March 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • ALL Welcome....

Mel isnt racist. He was just calling it like it is. Want some racism then just listen to that garbage written by Nate DoggPile or Rev Wright or Jesse J...the list goes on and on. Blacks are the most bigoted race that exists.

March 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • zbtrocker

I'm a mel fan and the movie looks good, but I don't seem to remember nate dogg saying anything that I found to be racist. He was a true talent, and so is mel.

March 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kelli

Steven Seagal-disgusting and so immature...how old are you...10?

March 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. kelli

A "confirmed wife beater" is an untrue statement. He pleaded no contest which does not mean guilt. He is trying to end of all of this for the sake of his family. He may not be perfect but his acting skills are right on. As for Jodie Foster, she stands by her friend when times are tough and doesn't judge. Kudos to her..Terry and Superhiro you don't even know him so get off your high horse!

March 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gavin

Oh BS. Pleading no contest to wife-beating is like saying "no comment" when someone asks you if you're gay. No one does it unless the speculation is correct. (Note: I am in no way comparing being gay to a crime or any negative act, simply illustrating that the reaction to the speculation is generally the same). If you are accused of wife-beating you fight it – no matter what. It does not "help your family" to plead "no contest"

March 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Steven Seagal

So will the movie be called, "Jodi Foster's 'Beaver'"?

March 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mel was correct

Mel was correct in everything he said about that woman. And I applaud Jody for not letting the ONCE AGAIN Majority wrong assessment influence her.

March 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • theresa

Hurray for Jodie! I am impressed. It is good to know that not everyone believes that gold-diggers story. And that there are still people in this world that do not judge everyone, and stand by their friends.

March 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Superhiro

Yea that is gross. She probably wants a slice of Mel, which is also gross.

March 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michae

Sorry, I was married to a Russian woman for 10 years. They have learned to "live under the radar", having grown up in such an oppressive society. I am not saying ALL Russian women are like this, but the behavior Mel Describes seems to mirror my ex, who has been abusing her own daughter for years. Now that my daughter has taken a stand, her own mother has simply abandoned her. The court system has gone along with my ex, but now that my daughter has asserted herself, they still refuse to admit just how much they have allowed her to lie, and manipulate them. I would not be surprised to find that this woman delivered the first blow, and Mel felt compelled to protect himself. I have watched Jodie Foster grow up, granted, from afar. Having started as a child star, she certainly seems to have a lot on the ball. Mels' only issue seems to have been with this Russian woman.

March 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimmycurry01

She is a lesbian. She doesn't want a slice of Mel. All of her gushing is in reference to what his personal troubles brought to the role he was playing. She loves him because, despite being a bit difficult on set, he was willing to put all of his recent troubles into the character. She is not defending him, she is not saying that what he did was right, she loves him as an actor. She believes he did beautiful work in a film. She isn't marrying the guy, she respects his commitment to his craft, that is all.

March 28, 2011 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  34. Terry

A confirmed wife beater and she's gushing over him. Sorry, kinda gross. "I know he has troubles"? Reality must be hard to find in Hollywood!

March 17, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • boocat

You are misinformed. His x-wife of 30+ years said he was never violent toward her. The golddigger on the other hand...who knows?

March 17, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

You guys don't get it. I believe Mel did and said everything claimed regarding the Russian chick. I also believe that he was none of those things to his previous wife. It's because Russian women and British Commonwealth men really don't get along. The Russian culture in general is so antagonistic that any English speaking man would lose it in the face of the level of arrogance Russian women portray. I've seen it time and time again in Russia and Ukraine from ALL foreign men. Any normal person would freak after enough time spent with the rigors of Russian logic. So did Mel do all those things, ya of course he did, in his place most of you would go crazy as well. The cultural differences are extreme and can cause hatred on both sides of the fence but it doesn't make either party correct – just different.

March 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roman

I felt this news was important enguoh to risk Bieber-related hearing damage. And you should only use FDA-approved ear bleach. That off-brand stuff might not completely destroy your ears.

April 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |