'Idol' Top 12 elimination night is here
March 17th, 2011

'Idol' Top 12 elimination night is here

SPOILER ALERT – Tonight's "Idol" blog will reveal who is leaving the competition, so please don't read if you don't want to know.

8:58 p.m. – Despite a plea from Karen, the judges are not going to use their save for her.

So we won't have our first Latino "American Idol" after all. The decision not to save her was not unanimous, and Steven Tyler and J-Lo do not look happy as the judges join her on stage.

8:56 p.m. - Karen sings "Hero," and all I keep thinking is I rewatched last night's performances, and there is no way she should be on the chopping block. She sings the mess out of "Hero." Will the judges save her?

8:54 p.m. – We are down to Haley and Karen, and I am once again shocked when Karen is announced as the contestant in danger of going home. What?!?!?

8:53 p.m. – Seacrest declares this a "critical moment." It's not that serious Seacrest.

But after a nationwide vote, Naima is safe. Color me stunned!

8:45 p.m. - Here we go with the world premiere of The Black Eyed Peas' new single "Just Can't Get Enough." They dedicate their performance to the people of Japan.

They have been outspoken in their desire to help that nation, so I'll give them a pass on this auto-tuned foolishness. My mama says if you can't say something nice ... well, you will forgive me my silence.

8:40 p.m. – That leaves us with Karen and Thia, and I refuse to believe America is ready to let Thia go home just yet.

I'm correct! Karen is in the bottom three.

So there we have it. Our bottom three are Haley, Naima and Karen. Who will it be?

8:35 p.m. – Our wild cards, Stefano and Naima, are at risk, and I didn't want to have to go comfort J-Lo if it was Stefano. She loves him so.

No worries Jenny - Stefano is safe, and Naima is in the bottom three.

8:33 p.m. – So who is going to join Haley?

Scotty, Pia and James arrive center stage. Did Scotty dye his hair darker? Before I even get a chance to consider, the kid is back on the couch as he is safe.

Then there is Pia, who I need to go straight to superstar status with her gorgeous looks. She really is stunning.  And she really is safe.

Next up is James and a funny moment when Seacrest asks if Steven Tyler sees a little of himself in James. I see it, even before James pokes his lips out. Steven will get to love him more as James is also safe!

8:25 p.m. – In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I was totally going to make a joke about wee Marc Anthony being in the audience along with rapper Pit Bull, but I won't go there. I kid, because I love,  Mr. Jennifer Lopez.

Poor Lee DeWyze. He is never going to get way from that paint salesman thing. He performs his new single, "Beautiful Like You," and it's very Counting Crows. He seems much more comfortable than he was last year. He actually makes eye contact. Welcome home Lee.

8:19 p.m. - Paul and Haley come down front.

Haley defends her choice to jump all around the genres. Paul says he is feeling better after being sick during his performance Wednesday night. I'm sure he feels even better knowing that he is safe.

That leaves Haley and, you guessed it, she is in the bottom three.

8:14 p.m. – I'm kind of digging the personal moments on these tapes. Folks get to talk about what languages they speak and their pets. It's nice to see the personal interviews.

But later for all that. We are here for someone to get sent home, and we have our first three front and center: Jacob, Lauren and Casey. First up is Jacob, and he is safe!

Next up is Lauren with her up-do (they really must do something about the multiple colors in that hair), and she, too, is safe. That leaves Casey of "I screeched through "Smells Like Teen Spirit" fame. And after some back and forth he, too, is staying around for another week.

8:10 p.m. - Hold on. Are the producers trying to tell us something by hooking Stefano and Haley up in that commercial? I wonder...

And I felt like I was watching "Oprah's Favorite Things" when Ryan told everyone to check under their chairs for the "Idol" compilation album.

8:03 p.m. - We are treated to baby pictures of tonight's guest performers, Lee DeWyze and the Black Eyed Peas. How precious!

Seacrest shouts out viewers for their support of the Japan relief effort, and we get a definite "Glee" type mash-up with "Born to Be Wild" and Lady Gaga's "Born This Way."

OK, where are Rachel, Finn and the gang when you need them?

8:00 p.m. – Nice touch starting the show with the "When I was growing up I wanted to be" theme. Though honestly, most of them are STILL growing up.

And we are off!

1. AMERIA

I agree with Susan she was a snotty ungrateful immigrant,

March 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. KIM

I couldn't understand what she was singing half the time. Maybe she'd be better off singing in her own country since she so proud of roots and she sure didn't appreciate this one. Good Americans are fed up with the crap.

March 18, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NotThisTime

JLo, you cannot show your true color trying to save Karen. She was terrible. You can't use the wild card this early. Gotta save it for Pia, Jacob, James, or Casey if they get votted off early.

March 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kris

I know I'm going to get booed here, but I got a little tired of the 'latin' references by Karen, and she thought she had an upper and due to her being a Latina. The only judge who was naive enough to fall for that was likely JL, as she is Puerto Rican. Both Steven and Randy saw through that and booted her.Hasta La Vista!!!

March 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dogs rule

"Scotty" aka Alfred E. Neumann, who can only sing hillbilly, Lauren-ditto, Jason, and Naima are all worse than poor little Karen. I'm sorry she's gone. Clearly there is a prejudice against Hispanics going on in this country.

March 18, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Floyd

Karen had a bad night on Wednesday, bottom line. It was a toss up for her and Hayley. If Karen sang on Wed like she did last night she would be around for a while. I don't think it came to prejudice, but it is clear how you vote.

March 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Watcher

The writer say we won't have our first Latino Idol? Did I miss something, or isn't Stefano still on the show and still Latino?

March 18, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. SUSANNE

HA HA GUESS WE WON'T BE HAVING A LATIN IDOL IN AMERICA,. MAYBE SHE'LL WIN AT HOME IN MEXICO.

March 18, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. Obvious who the winner should be

There's only two actually talented singers on the show (besides Steven Tyler of course).
    Pia should win it all. And Thia would actually be great for Broadway musicals (reminds me a bit of Lea Salonga- Miss Saigon). The rest are just erratic and freaks of nature.

March 18, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. Eye Dull

Why didn't Casey go home? He was horrible singing Nirvana. Not to mention he looks and sounds like a Muppet when he sings. He is no idol. Gimme a break. Karen sang circles around him. Booooo.

March 18, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • lana

I agree with you, Casey should have gone home. He acts like a d****k!!!!!!!!! Muppets are cute, he's bleeeeppppp!!!!!!!!-^-

March 18, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. drap

You would think Tomm would include THE WHO... .

March 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • lana

James Durbin should sing the "WHO'S" "Love Regin Me", (Quadrophina) what a classic song.

March 18, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. tomm

please leave out the 4 in the country joe song. . . . . i still love vodka. 12 ounces a day (minimum) keeps the doctor away : )

March 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tomm

remember canned heat and country joe and the fish. 1 2 3 4 what are we fightin for ? . . . .

March 17, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tomm

zeppelin. sorry. i drank too much vodka. PLUS JIM MORRISON WITH THE DOORS. he was a good vodka drinker too.

March 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tomm

AEROSMITH. LED ZEPPLIN. JIMI HENDRIX. THE BEATLES. THE ROLLING STONES. JANNIS JOPLIN. PERIOD. GODS ON THIS EARTH.

March 17, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tomm

It is just so sad a living actual GOD is a judge on American Idol. Listen to Aerosmith Live Bootleg really really loud again. Ask yourself why one of the greatest vocalist in the history of the world is a judge on this show. Listen to Dream On. Listen to any song on this album. Easily he is better than anyone I have ever heard. Better than John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Mick Jagger. Please listen to him in is prime. Steven Tyler and Aerosmith is one of the 2 remaining bands given to us from GOD.

March 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floyd

Bootleg Live is a great album, I have to agree. Saw Aerosmith live in their prime in 1978, 4th row centre stage. They were hammered, but they were amazing. Train Kept Rollin' was the hightlight I still remember.
      I think having this rock element in the show can only help bring this type of rock edge to people that would otherwise be insulated from it so Rock On Steve and show 'em how it's done.
      Rocks is a great album too!

March 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Steffan

Hey, why isn't Thia in that Pic shown above. Thia is THE BEST!

March 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. GOOD

Send her home, she needs to stop singing in spanish and english, this is america

March 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Billy

This season has been good but they have sent the wrong people home so far....

March 17, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Steaming Coil

I've got a full belly,I'm ready to plop 12 warm party hat's on each one of them.

March 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. clutzycook

Oh please let this horrible show end forever after this season!

March 17, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherri

Well, this 'horrible' show has skyrocketed to #1....far, far ahead of the #2 show..."Two and a Half Men," so I don't see it going anywhere for a long time.

March 18, 2011 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |