'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Has 'Glee' lost its mojo?
March 16th, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Has 'Glee' lost its mojo?

There are shocking claims today that Fox’s hit show, “Glee,” has lost the spark that makes it so special! Accusations that the plots - even the songs - are lame.

I actually love how things are evolving this season. But what do you think? Post your thoughts below.

Another big "Showbiz Tonight" debate today: Who should replace Gilbert Gottfried after his firing as the voice of the Aflac duck? I think it should be someone with a very distinct personality who can put their stamp on the iconic “spokes-duck”!

We also have a "Showbiz" Newsmaker interview with Christina Aguilera. She’s speaking out to us for the very first time since her drunken arrest.

And Donald Trump gets roasted! His Comedy Central roast was brutal. So I’ve got to ask – why the heck would he put himself through that?

See you on "Showbiz Tonight" at 5 p.m. ET and again at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN today!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. jj

It's been so pointless, for so long. I watched it from day one, and finally gave up on it this year. I tape it, and only watch the songs... if I like them. It's hard to be a show for everyone – this show is no longer for me.
    And while I could care less about the gay component, I can't stand the kid who plays Kurt. And the show has never been able to write a descent character. The writing is terrible.

March 25, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. music lover

Gwyneth P. should stick to films. Is she so desperate that she must invade what has been an entertaining TV show? Same for other Super Stars. Glee's originality has`made it popular, but maybe the writers have run out of ideas. How about fewer provacative songs, dances, and scenes – and more creative story lines and overall music! Kids who are under 16 watch Glee and could benefit from more wholesome material and life lessons. Oh – how about reviving a few great American classic tunes by exposing teens to Gershwin, Mercer, Ellington, Muddy Waters, et al?

March 20, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JD

I think that the show is still good. its not a grand masterpiece but it makes me laugh. I still like it no matter what people think.

March 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Terri

I have nothing against gay people but the story lines are becoming more about gays Kurt and now Santana coming out. Do all gay people join the glee clubs? I don't think so, but you make an all boy school have a glee club that seems to be made up of all gay boys. And now Santana having the hots for Brittany. Too much. Please make this show more entertaining like before and stop the preaching

March 18, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. hektic niterain

Ok so two other people posted before I was finishes ranting so I disagree with all post except FARRAH's

March 17, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. hektic niterain

I completely disagree with all of the above comments except the last one. Glee has not lost its "mojo" and I do believe never will! The above comments are garuanteed to mostly be from parents/elders in which case I promise you they don't get it! This show is amazing it teaches life lessons to younger adults and teens that most parents don't even know tthey need to be taught! There is so much distance between parents and thier children these days because 80% of parents are ignorent to thier childs needs! So before you try to ruin someone elses day, try making yours better

March 17, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Glum

Glee never had a mojo, but itvs got plenty of H0m0-jo. There are far less gays in real life than on TV. Stop pushing your agenda!

March 17, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. BJ

I boycotted Glee on facebook. Those 'original' songs this week were ridiculous. Glee used to be a show teens could kinda relate to, but now it is tooo radical and downright trashy.

March 17, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Farrah

I disagree with Glee losing it's "mojo" it's getting better and better with every episode.

March 17, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Glum

Glee never had a "mojo", but it has plenty of "h0m0"! Total waste of time and talent. Fire the writers and start over!

March 17, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Angel

Glee is for loosers that dont have cool tattoos like me !

March 16, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kristine

I used to LOVE Glee, but it's lost its appeal. In short, the actors seem to have gotten big heads. So it's hard to believe them as the loser choir that once made them endearing.

Actually, it's just Lea Michele. She just ruins it all.

March 16, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Frank

I have lost ALL interest in Glee this year. This is not what it started out to be. I'm sick of Rachel ( Michelle ) Whinny whine whine. I bought the first season of Glee but, WILL NOT be repeating that this year. This show has become BORING !!!

March 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Blahdblah

My son in a gay teen and even he hates Kurt !!! We both agree that the show has gotten way too preachy.The show was much better when it stuck to satire and stereotypes.

March 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Truth

Unless you are a gay teen, Glee just comes off as way beyond stupid...just sayin

March 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Elaine

My answer is a resounding YES! It's totally jumped the shark and here's why I've "Given Up On Glee". My post went up last week on BlogHer.com.

March 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. PM

The mojo is definitely gone. The plots are now contrived to fit certain "relevant" or "hip" songs into an episode instead of the songs springing from tongue-in-cheek (but with a heart) plots. The characters had motivation, conflicts, individuality, but I feel now that the only plots that do exist feel like a really bad "After School Special."

And I am SOOOO sick of Kurt. They totally threw that character under a bus to try and make a statement. (Odd, the show's effort to be "relevant" is making it more irrelevant. Oh, the irony.)

What they need to do is go back to the beginning. Kick start the storylines that focus on CHARACTER and not contrivances to support song choices.

March 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LL

Glee is about to jump the shark.

Last season, I used to look forward to Glee. Now that the show and its stars have become more popular, I think the show is more self-aware and less special. I honestly fast-forward through the lip-synced songs to get an idea of the plot lines, which seems to be mostly about Kurt these days. Each week comes off as "A very special Glee episode", which is boring.

I wish they would focus more on Sue Sylvester's background and her relationship with her sister. That was the best plot line this show has had.

Honestly, I look more foward to watching American Idol than I do with Glee.

March 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Displeased with Glee

This entire season of Glee has been lukewarm at best. The only episode that has truly hearkened back to the original pilot episode and the first few episodes was the one that aired last night. Glee was originally a show about kids who were talented for their school, but who knew they would never make it big in the entertainment industry; who knew that high school show choir was as far as their performing careers would go. That gave it an undercurrent of realism and a bit of bitterness that I loved. This season, however, has just been ridiculous. From making Kurt a total martyr in the first part of the season (his dad almost dies! he gets bullied! he has to change schools!) to totally neglecting many characters (almost all the girls except Rachel and Santana) to absolutely wrecking Shu, Emma and Sue's characterization, this season has been a mess.

March 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |