Rihanna covers the April issue of Vogue
March 16th, 2011

Rihanna: I've found peace

Rihanna's life hasn't been the same since she was assaulted by her ex Chris Brown in 2009, but the singer says the experience changed her for the better.

"It actually gave me a lot of liberation,” she tells the April issue of Vogue. "What I mean is, I was able to tap into the personal part of my music. I started to tell stories through my music that were actually my stories. My album before that, there was still a little bit of protection, there was still an innocence to me. And what that time in my life did was kind of wake people up: It’s not all a bed of roses. My life is like yours.”

Read the full interview with Rihanna in Vogue

Yet some were surprised by her album following that incident, the gritty "Rated R."

"It was darker, edgier, more aggressive. I can’t come out singing happy songs if I’m not happy," Rihanna explains. "Even the look of it, the styling, what I wore. But I quickly found peace in myself: who I am and what I want to do in life. I couldn’t hold on to all that pain and anger, because I knew that wasn’t me at all.”

It was during that same time that Rihanna says she was betrayed by another man: Her father, Ronald Fenty, spoke to the tabloids about his daughter, with whom he has had a strained relationship.

“My dad went to the press and just told them a bunch of lies. Because he hadn’t talked to me after… that whole thing… He never called to find out how I was doing, if I was alive, nothing. He just never called. He went straight to the press and got a check."

Her father has talked to the press again more recently, and the singer told Vogue that she struggles to understand his behavior. “It really makes me question what I have become to my father," she says. "Like, what do I even mean to him?

"It’s really strange. That’s the only word I can think of to describe it, because you grow up with your father, you know him, you are part of him, for goodness’ sakes! And then he does something so bizarre that I can’t begin to wrap my mind around it. You hear the horror stories about people going behind people’s backs and doing strange things, but you always think, 'Not my family. My father would never do that to me.'"

Video: Behind the scenes at Rihanna's Vogue cover shoot

Romantically, Rihanna seems ready for a break. She recently dated Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, but says she hasn't found romance since.

“I just kind of shut down from that,” she says. “I just let it go. I don’t ever want to have to depend on a relationship. I think it’s a really special thing to find love. It’s beautiful. Nothing can match it. But I want to make sure that I find other things in life that I love besides… love.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Chris Brown • Rihanna

1. D

you're the same poster just with a different name. You're just too stupid to change the way you type so it's obvious. You're just a looser with a keyboard-that's all. And I like Rihanna and her music, but I really wish she would change her hair-most of her hairstyles just don't look good on her...

March 17, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kay/Kay/Kay All The Way

@ sista grrl/where did you see a pink person? your out there. mustve been an alien. ha ha ha. and you obviously didnt read the comment. that is if you can read? shes right. your just jealous. your already black. recipe is easy. well add the blue. you go K.K.K. girl. us other real WHITE girls got your back. oh and rhianna needs to back to the ape island she came from.

March 17, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • TRUTH

And you're just another tired, lonely, broke white chick trying to make it in country your own ancestors founded but you've been so unsuccessful you've prided yourself on being a part of some obsolete, decades old organization "kay/kay/kay" mocking another obsolete decades old organization "NAACP", sitting your sorry a&& in front of a computer typing meaningless insults to random people who don't give 2 fu#&s about u. What a pathetic existence. Do true Americans a favor and don't procreate.

March 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BUGGIN

Dis trik kant suk a dik fo sit!

March 17, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sista Grrl

kkkgirl, you ain't white neitha, biotch u is pink! when I gets done wif u, u gonna
    be black & blue. (if you live). bring it, 'ho!

March 16, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. All American k/k/k Girl

Hey Ill bring the K/K/K and you bring the NAACP and well see what happens. Nobodys scared of your gorilla, monkey looking a$$es. Rhianna is just another n***er biotch trying to make it in a white world. Your not white and its about time you realize it.

March 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hold your head up High!!!

Looking good girl be strong and go for yours!!!

March 16, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. me

I just did that ni g g ah last nite!

March 16, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jen

I like your comment Say Whay. I can't imagine what she's been through. Its so sad to know the person that she should be able to count on the most didn't bother to call or check on her. Shame on her dad for talking to the press and not his baby girl. I wish the best for her and hope she can put the past behind her.

March 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dr. Dolittle

Unfortunately at this time there is no cure for Trick Pole H0e. sorry Rihanna.

March 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chris Brown

Dis trick h0e in da newz again! I hadz her azz on da pipe trippin, sheza spit shinen all my broz polez and den sheza jumpnz outz my ride saynz I slapped her foo azz, sheza trippin... sheza be crawln bakz to the pipe real soonz. I'll bez tappin dat trim real soonz and sheza bez backs onz all my broz polez...seeya soonz youza trick h0e.

March 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Say Whay

I love her!! I think it is hard to grow up and having really personal things happen to you while you are in the public eye.. She has done a good job trying to handle all of her situations.. Good for her! You go RiRi! Dont let them get you down!

March 16, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Al Sharptongue

Steven Segal: Watch it sucka! We gonna get the NAACP up in here! You betta hush yo mouf, dat's de way we talks, git used to it, cracka!

March 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Big Daddy

Daddy mad cuz his girl be dressin and actin like a ho. He ought to be whippin her behind.

March 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sista Grrl

You go, homegirl! Don't worry 'bout him. He didn't know he was yo daddy til last year. If you wasn't famous, he wouldn't bother. He jes want dat check.

March 16, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Photog critic

In the first picture she appears getting ready to squat and take a dump.
    In the third picture she appears to be sitting on a toilet and taking a dump.

March 16, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  16. Uh...ok

Perhaps she should find a new hair stylists, a new publicist, a new recording label and finally a new life. *PUKE*

March 16, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • TRUTH

She sounds like a typical 20 something year old entertainer going thru the ups and downs of life while in the public eye...just trying to find her way. You on the other hand, sound like an idiot. Jst sayin'.

March 16, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Alana

Her record sales and popularity speaks otherwise.
      Poor muffin, little jealous are we there?

March 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

15 minutes from the pole.

March 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |