Alec Baldwin taking singing lessons for 'Rock of Ages'
March 16th, 2011

Alec Baldwin taking singing lessons for 'Rock of Ages'

Alec Baldwin is prepping his pipes for "Rock of Ages."

The "30 Rock" star says he's gearing up for his role in the upcoming film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical by taking singing lessons. "You have to," he tells Vulture. "You have to take it seriously."

In "Rock of Ages," Baldwin plays Dennis Dupree, the owner of the Bourbon Room club, where small-town girl Sherrie (Julianne Hough) takes a job while pursuing her dreams of becoming an actress.

In the Broadway version of the show, Dennis sings REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling," but Baldwin, who hasn't seen the stage musical, isn't quite sure which songs he'll be warbling on screen.

"I think they have us all sing something," he says of co-stars Hough, Tom Cruise and Mary J. Blige. "I think I'm going to sing, thankfully, something very modest; I might sing 'Yeah, yeah, yeah,' or something like that."

Does this mean we'll get to see Baldwin dancing as well? "No. It's not that kind of thing," he says. "It's not 'Glee,' it's rock and roll."

Are you psyched to see Baldwin rock out in "Rock of Ages"?

Post by:
Filed under: Alec Baldwin • Celebrities • movies • Tom Cruise

1. Jj

Alec got punched and knocked down by a sub sailor on the set of the hunt for red october... Because of his big mouth.. How do I know??? I did it

March 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Betty

I hope he has seen the show. If not I recomend he see Constantine Maroulis on the tour Ssmewhere soon.

March 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Elissa Comb

Can somebody confirm or deny that Lucas Wynne (http://twitter.com/#!/lucaswynne) will be playing the male lead role? From what I can find around the net he's an indie actor who used to do music and now does some comedy writing. I think it would be pretty exciting to see a fresh (and undoubtedly attractive) face like that on the big screen.

March 18, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlecFan42

I follow Alec so I have been reading everything about Rock of Ages since rumors he would be in it came out. By coincidence I live in Murfreesboro and actually saw Lucas Wynne perform at an open mic in Tennessee about a year back. At the open mic he mentioned at the time he was considering a bit of a career change and making music his "passion" and did a little bit of acting that was to say the least impressive. He reminds me of Jonny Depp in terms of a guitar-playing actor. I don't know if the rumors are true, but I hope they are. Keep in mind he says on his twitter account in a tweet to Adam Shankman, the casting director... AND I QUOTE "@adammshankman Auditioning for RoA soon. Hopefully my Nashville days help. Otherwise I'll be hitting the stand-up comedy circuit this year." which would imply he hasn't snagged the role yet. But sometimes Hollywood doesn't want to release casting news right away, so who knows. CROSS YOUR FINGERS! =D

March 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tomm

It was Daniel Baldwin in the vampire movie. He is the oldest brother i think. It was called John Carpenters Vampires. Was a neat movie ! :)

March 17, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • patricia

Alecis actually the oldest

Alec is actually the oldest Baldwin brother & Daniel is the youngest, although he looks older than the others. Just sayin'

March 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rufus Leroy Washington

You're right, he's a decent actor. I actually liked "The Last Samurai". That don't change the fact dat I want to kick his crazy a$$ all de way down Hollywood Blvd.

March 17, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Rufus's Doctor

I apologize to everyone for Rufus's behavior; he's missed the last few doses of his anti-depressant and anti-psychotic medication, and when he does he gets violent like this.

March 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tiffany H

How silly you are Anna. I'm sure you dislike Cruise for more that just his movies...otherwise who misses a movie with a fav actor just cause another actor?? Besides you obviously haven't seen all his movies. Did you not see All the right moves? Top Gun? Eyes wide shut? Collateral? The lase Samurai? A few Good men? Jerry Maguire? Born on the forth of July? You people who claims Cruise has no talent are haters and simply are letting your annoyance with the actor color your perceptions of his acting skill.

March 17, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. Anna

I love Alec and I am glad to hear he is going to try to sing. I can't stand Tom Cruise though and he is not a singer etc. The lead in this film should at least have talent to start with. Cruise isn't musically inclined and I don't count dancing like Less Grossman a talent. As much as I love Alec I would have to catch this on DVD – I won't pay money to support Tom Cruise in anything. I haven't cared for his acting since before the first Mission Impossible film came out.

March 17, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. tomm

L O L ! Thanks ! I needed a laugh this morning ! : )

March 17, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. The Other Baldwin Brothers

Alec is so mean to us. He takes all the good parts and only lets us out of the basement once a month.

March 17, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Jj

I punched him And knocked him down on the set of the hunt for red October. Apparently he was having a problem and decided messing with A stressed out US submarine sailor was a keen idea. After he got back up... He ran down the stairs of the sub mock up and out the door... He didn't come back that day. Anyway.. Not sure if he is still like that but... He owes me an appology for saying F U to me in front of Scott Glen. Finsterthecat@yahoo.com

March 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tilly

I think alec is funny. he is a funny man... yes yes he is

March 17, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lace

Lol..I hear you. Yes, Tom is a strange one and I would like to kick his @$$ too. I bet he would cry like a baby when we got finish with him. Alac is okay in my book.

March 16, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rufus Leroy Washington

Baldwin ain't too bad, but that Tom Cruise is one strange mofo. Ever since he jumped on Oprah' s couch, I been itchin' to kick his a$$.

March 16, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tamala

Really? You want to kick his ass because he jumped on Oprah's couch?

March 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Tamala

oh, dont play stupid. you know it wasnt JUST cause he jumped on the couch, it was cause he was insane, and he happened to be jumping on a couch while displaying his insanity.

March 22, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. tomm

Personally i think all of the Baldwin brothers are entertaining. I loved the vampire movie the oldest one was in. They seem like nice guys.

March 16, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Angel

first to post ! yes !

March 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JD

I enjoy Baldwin and always look forward to his films. Not a big Cruise fan though.

March 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Baldwin was great in Hunt for the Red October. Problem was, he didn't get the sequel, Harrison Ford did (for which Tom Clancy, the writer was furious, believing rightly that Ford was too old to play Jack Ryan). After that career downer, Baldwin went insane, became a raving liberal and reactionary male version of Joan Collins (and his family fell apart) and now he's stuck in television hell.

March 19, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

Richard, interesting Fox News spin on Baldwin's life and career. Sadly for you (and just like your favorite propaganda outlet), you've got all your facts wrong from the start: Baldwin turned down the next Clancy movie - it was his choice, genius.

March 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Denizen Kate

Sounds like fun. I'm glad he's taking it seriously, but not TOO seriously.

March 16, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. guest

I'm looking forward to seeing him on 30 Rock every night on cable.

March 16, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JR

Now al Alec needs is some acting lessons and you might have something there.

March 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |