Kyra Phillips and John Roberts welcome twins
March 15th, 2011

Kyra Phillips and John Roberts welcome twins

Double the congratulations for CNN's Kyra Phillips and fiancé John Roberts - the couple welcomed both a boy and a girl into their family right after midnight on Tuesday, March 15.

The little ones are named Sage Ann and Kellan Clay, with Sage arriving at 12:03 a.m. and Kellan making a debut two minutes after.

"Sage came out with her arms open wide ready for a hug," Phillips said in a statement. "Kellan came out feisty – ready to conquer the world!"

Phillips continued, "It doesn't get much better than that. For John and me, we now have everything we could ask for."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Marian Shapiro

Mazel Tov Kyra and John! You are two of my favorite news hosts!!! Good luck with TWO new babies! That's a handful. Isn't it interesting that the worst, most racist comments are from very ignorant writers who can't spell or use correct grammar. If they had done better in school, they would have learned that African Americans or Latinos are no less intelligent or responsible than whatever race THEY think is superior. Why can't they look at Obama or Oprah and wish we were all as smart and loving and beautiful. Marian Shapiro

June 21, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Janice

congradulation on ur babies n i miss u very much on cnn, u are my biggest fan and i was worried.and i named my daughter kyra after u she will be nine on the 30th of may. god bless u enjoy ur beautiful babies.love u

May 24, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. Luanne16

(Correction on the word there) congratulations to two great anchors on their beautiful twins.

April 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lucille Edwards

I look at these two anchors every morning on CNN, on back to back shows, I never knew they were an item, a couple, a well kept secret, but they do make a nice happy couple. Congratulations to them both on there one month old twins

April 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. camille anne

I am so happy for Kyra and John .They make such a lovely couple and I am sure the twins have brought them closer together.
    I wish them all the happiness with their new babies, and I love the names they picked out. quite unique. May you all be blessed and hurry back kyra .I wanna see you at 9am each morning. Miss your pretty face

April 5, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lou Maltais fm Montreal

congratulations to the two of you.Kyra this could'nt happen to finer woman,smart,and beautifull to boot.And John:you must be the proudest man on earth,good for you. May the little ones have good health and happness all their lives. love you both

March 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. walt

congrats to KYRAand JOHN .!!

March 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. miracleseeker

I would like to extend the "biggest" CONGRATULATIONS to Kyra and John as they celebrate the births of their twins.! Totally AWESOME for both Kyra and John. Congratulations again!
    Judy – Kansas

March 18, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. claudia lawrence

Congrats JD and Kyra! beautiful babies!! I remember JD from City tv in Toronto, I miss you on CNN... Claudia in Atlanta

March 17, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. sweezy!$:)

Congrats alot. i wish u the very best! and to the people out there who r racist... i thought that was over years ago man. Get real homies! YEA!!

March 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kayla

CONGRADS!!!! youve got ur hands full best wishes.

March 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Name*SWEETMOMMA3

Double Congrats!!

March 16, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sue

Yeah, I've heard the "piece of paper" argument so many times, but when you're going to have a child, just get married and make it legal, there's nothing wrong with THAT, is there??? It has nothing to do with what century we are in, being married first and having children after that has always been the truly decent thing to do. Time won't erase that, no matter how shabby people's morals have become in this century. There's nothing to be heroic or modern about having kids out of wedlock.

March 16, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Cindy Kappelmann

Agreed with her comment. How can you have grown children who you should have taught to have morals and then turn around and have twins with another anchor without being married and then go on to host a show about "Raising America" and kids. What are you telling them? Have children without being married = ILLEGITIMATE. I was surprised when I learned this almost 3 years later. Good thing she is not doing that show anymore.

January 16, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mai

Congratulations! Having a baby is a wonderful thing but having twins is just awesome! Being a mother of 4 year old twins (boy & girl), I know how excited you both are. As you both start you family, just remember that caring your twins is truly just the start of the fun to come.

March 16, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Open Mike

Pretty soon Kyra will be married, two kids, and her husband a control freak.

March 16, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  16. j

How is this news?? People have kids daily but it isn't posted here. Why not??

March 16, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  17. Del

More children born out of wedlock, what a screwd up world. Couples do not love one another to make a committment to marry. Kids don't have a chance.

March 16, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  18. Dean Lengi

Congrats on those excellent twins!!! My wife and I are huge fans of both of you. May You're life continue to be blessed. May the twins grow to be healthy and wise. (unlike some of these mammals posting messages here. Much love and happiness to the whole familly!

March 16, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. Niya

@Meghan you are angry at that person for being a racist(yes that's how its spell) so decide to attack blacks and Chinese.. Genius
    Congrats to Kyra

March 16, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dark Meat

But Mary was a virgin and all these babymamas are ho's and welfare mamas and babymamas and just a drag on society. They shred the moral fabric of society and are lazy good for nothings. These baby mamas do their children more harm than good. Just look to the prisons for proof.

March 16, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  21. logicalhikingdude

FYI...John Roberts (one time "American Morning" host for CNN) is now working, like many former CNNer's, at Fox News as, I believe their Senior National Correspondent two months ago...

March 16, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  22. Goober juice shooter

Lets not confuse the Virgin Mary with all these babymamas.

March 16, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  23. Miro

Didn't she just get divorced from her muslim husband last year? She sure didn't waste any time getting back on the saddle.

March 16, 2011 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  24. Brenda

Congratulations Kyra and John! You're a beautiful couple, now a beautiful familly...enjoy those angels. Please get back to work, I miss you and it's just not the same without you Kyra;-)

March 16, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  25. lola

to all of u so called "christians" with ur moral compasses out, I raised my child by myself for the past 12 yrs and our home is more peaceful and happy than most two parent homes where the adults are pretending to like each other while living in sin behind each others back! That scenario happens more and more with u do gooders so stop pointing fingers and stfu.

March 16, 2011 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  26. this is news?

So what if they had kids, how is this news? What about the janitor at CNN, I heard he just had a baby too.....

March 16, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. c

All babies are a blessing these babies are meant to be all of u crude people should be on ur knees and repent for evil u say its not ur buisness what people do only god judges not u no one is perfect two beatiful babies came out congrats may god bless this family

March 16, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  28. HUH(scratching head)??

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE AND WHY DO WE CARE??

March 16, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  29. momof3

I'm apalled to read these comments others have to say about such a BEAUTIFUL BLESSING. To first read ignorant, non-intelligant comments about the baby's skin color. Then to read how people are more concerned with their marital status and not the fact that the babies are healthy. Last I checked the year was 2011. You don't need to be married to have a baby. To Kyra and John please excuse the rediculous negative comments and accept my sincerest well wishes. May your children learn a valuable lesson and turn put to be better human beings than the ignorant ones that posted their thoughts on your birth announcement. Congratulations to you both & welcome to parenthood...its the best job you will ever have.

March 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Meghan

CONGRATS 2 THE COUPLE..PLEASE PEOPLE LEARN HOW 2 SPELL...INSTEAD OF HATE N BASHING..WE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL 4 WHAT WE HAVE IN LIFE.

March 15, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. michele

Wanna know what i love. once again god forbid a white person makes fun of a black baby saying that they look like apes when their born and we are raciest. but go ahead and make fun of us saying our children look like pale zombies or That when we are born we are gross looking. im sorry that not all of us cant have flat faces and squintie eyes like the chinese or always be on tv for stealing like the blacks do best

March 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  32. agit prop

I don't know these people, but Tony Iommi is my god.

March 15, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. agit prop

I know a couple that are super Christian, and each had a baby out of wedlock. Then they met, got married and are on there 6th kid 4th together, and expect there church to help with like Christian welfare.

March 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  34. brenda

Never amagined that so called christians could say such ugly things.Some are just coocoo.Enjoy the birth of your children.That's what's wrong with our world,looking @ other instead of looking @ self.God Bless.

March 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. MontrealRocks

Congrats to a wonderful couple. John, I am a huge fan from back in your Much Music VJ days. I still remember your classic interview with Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi on the Pepsi Power Hour back in 1986. You rocked then and you rock even more now! Kyra, you rock too! Here's wishing you many years of happiness with your little bundles of joy.

March 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. sherri

what is wrong with some of you people? some of you are rude and just plain mean. people do not need to married to have kids brought up to be great people. what? some of you people would rather people get married and be unhappy and then possibly making the kids unhappy.

March 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian

I agree with you. So many people who have been commenting here are poorly-spoken, over-zealous, rude, cruel, and plain unkind. What is this world coming to when one reads such foul comments. Yes, there is free speech, but if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it.

March 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  37. kelly

CoNGrATs:)

March 15, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Man and wife

Stupid

March 15, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Fred

yeah ! thats telling them. buncha dang food eaters. i bet they have bad breath too.

March 15, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Leidy

Muchas felicidades! Congrats to both of you. You make such a cute couple and the twins name's are unique and cute. :)

March 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  41. tracie

Judge not lest ye be judged. Please always keep that in mind EVERYONE

March 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Wilhelm

To ALL you "good" "Christians": Had Nero done a better job this world would be a lot kinder.

To you other idiots: Had my relatives won WWII, you would be bars of soap. But then, you'd be useful for something.

To the happy couple and their children: Congratulations! And ignore the riff-raff.

March 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. longing

Congratulations John and Kyra

Once upon a time......on City TV....we watched an guy, known as "JD".....his career moved on...and so did he........today he is a Dad, as happy as can be!!

All the best to you and your beautiful family John....Toronto still loves and remembers you!!

March 15, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  44. michelle

Congrats to the happy couple for such a blessing.

March 15, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Steve & Michelle (Biggs)

Congrads to my wifes high school friend. (Helix 1986) Wishing you and your family all the best.

March 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mike Simmons

Congrats on the twins! Yeah,all that hate speech is uncalled for..I imagine them folks have been saved all their lives and never sin before God,on a dailey basis in thought or deed...

March 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Wendy from Canada

Congratulations to the whole family.

March 15, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  48. P.J.

Oh, it's *that* John Roberts. For a minute there I had a vision of her on all fours saying "Is that a gavel under your robe, or are you just happy to see me?"

March 15, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  49. k

Does it matter that they're not married? why can't 2 people who are in love need to be married to have a child/ children? i wish both babies, mother and father nothing but joy and happiness! CONGRATS! to the mother and father don't listen to the negativity.

March 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. whocares

This is not entertainment news. CNN reporters, although on TV, are not celebrities. How vain of a supposed "news" network.

March 15, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Canadian

Congratulations to you both! I have been a fan of John Roberts since his days as a VJ in the early 80s on New Music Magazine (TV program). Then, he went to CTV. I was happy to see him join CNN, but sad to see him leave. Have also been a fan of Kyra Phillips since she started with CNN. She's bright, personable, engaging, direct, and has a sense of humour.

March 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Herb

I wondered what happened to John . Was there a particularq reason for leaving CNN? I wish him well wherever he goes and gongrats on the twins.

March 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian

He went over to FOX News (yikes), but I miss him on CNN. Same with Tony Harris. CNN has lost great anchors and reporters in the last two years in particular.

March 16, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Really!

All you negative so called christian people are sick! Your what's wrong with the world!

March 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  53. teresa mac tavish

Congratulations to the new mom and dad, cute babies, glad everything went well for you guys, sending huggles from Terri in Winnipeg, Manitoba

March 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  54. London Ontario

Congratulations to Mom and Dad!! What an exciting time. You will have so much love in your house and you will wonder how you ever got along without the little munchkins before you had them. Children add a new dimension to your home, your life, and to your soul. They awaken something in you that you never knew existed. The babes look lovely. Sylvia Tyson said "you don't own your children, you only get to borrow them for a while" and I know that is true since my kids are now grown. My advice....keep your sense of humour at all times.

March 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suze

@ London – Thanks for contributing something nice. Most of the people posting here make me worried for the future of the human species

March 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadiansblow

canadians can go f themselves with their opinions. Two kids born out of wedlock with over-the-age parents destined to be raised by an illegal immigrant nanny is pure americana! but on the positive side, fox news just gained 2 more future watchers!

March 16, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  55. Epochick

What's w/these so called Christian responses -honestly!!

March 15, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Chad Jonas

Are these fake babies or props from the Twilight series ? They look very odd.

March 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  57. lois

how are 2 guys having babies ? are they one of those progressive homer couples ?

March 15, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

Wow- such insightful comments!! Instead of spending your time writing CRAP-you may want to find a dictionary on line that way when you do post your CRAP at least it will be spelled correctly. Get a life!

March 16, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  58. Twins - Aww

They're happy and have healthy babies.

I absolutely cannot believe some of these hateful and nasty comments.

March 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  59. lynn

Congrats to Kyra and John, lovely couple, now children to add to the mix. Couldn't happen to a nicer couple.

March 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Suze

Congrats to Kyra and John; I've enjoyed watching her for years. Back in September, during a routine visit to my perinatologist, Kyra walked into the office, so I realized she was pregnant then and have had her in my thoughts since that day. I didn't get the chance to say "hi" and tell her that I was a fan as my routine visit to my peri became an emergency situation; I was rushed upstairs and my own boy/girl twins were born a couple of hours later. I'll always associate seeing her in the doctor's office with my own very special delivery that day. Being the new mom of twins hasn't been easy, but I wake up everyday amazed at my good fortune when I look into their little faces. I wish Kyra and John the best in the sleepless days and nights ahead!

March 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Just Me

A child is a gift from god and twins are a double blessing, so congrats. So how in the world are hurtful and hateful things that are said to the new parents going to make the fact that thay are not Married any better ?
    I too wish that they had married before bringing a child into this world siince each child deserved to be born legitamite.
    To call hateful names in no way makes this better for the children.. so for heavens sakes STOP.

March 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jen

So, since the parents aren't married, the babies aren't legitimate? How is a person not legitimate? What is it about a legal contract that somehow would make these babies legitimate? They're perfectly fine just the way they are.

March 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • meg

Yes I do agree with you in that why do people have to say such hurtful things on a day that is so full of joy- that being said- you said" I wish the baby would have been born legitamate" What is this 1903??? Really?? Legitamate?? Come on!! These two people are in a committed relationship. A piece of paper does not make it any more committed- have you seen the stats for divorce in your country?? All that matters is that these two precious children are unconditionally loved.

March 16, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  62. Fiance?

Twins, or any baby, deserve parents that make a legal commitment. It's a good start!

March 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian

They became engaged last year, so they are committed.

March 15, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

They are committed to one another!! Does having a piece of paper make you feel anymore committed. Have you seen the divorce rate for your country- that piece of paper means squat without a deep and fundamental committment to one another-because without that- it's JUST A PIECE OF PAPER!!

March 16, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Misty

With a divorce rate of 57% for first marriages and worse for 2nd and 3rd marriages, the chance the parents will be together 5 years from now is pretty slim. Instead of paying thousands for a grand wedding, and thousands more to a divorce lawyer, not to mention all the fighting and arguing, why not just put that money into an education fund for the kids?

More and more women, especially professional women, are choosing to be practical and to have children on their own.

March 30, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  63. Annie

GET A LIFE!!!!

March 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Canadian

Self-righteous zealots like you can criticize others and deem yourselves judge and jury, but get your head out of the sand. Even your own family and/or friends are less than perfect. How many people wait until marriage nowadays to "fornicate." If they do, it doesn't make them bad people. Yes, I am a Christian (Catholic).

March 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. PENNEY

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET HELP...AND REMEMBER MARY WAS AN UNWED MOTHER.....

March 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mike

Loser!

March 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  67. wow

WOAH!!!!!!! some of you people are CRAZY I hope your kids don't go and have a baby out of wedlock god forbid what you would do to them some of the MOST AMAZING PARENTS I know are ONES THAT AREN"T MARRIED!!!!

March 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  68. LL

@wrathofgod: Newsflash...we're all sinners. John 8:7 "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

March 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Suze

@ wrathofgod – I think your comment is a joke, but if not you should probably try to remember what God said about judging others.

March 15, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  70. penney

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE GET HELP....MAYBE IT WILL HELP YOU TO REMEMBER THAT MARY WAS AN UNWED MOTHER.....

March 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  71. wow

@wrathofgod you can't be a real Christian and act that way. God is the ONLY judge and he will ALSO judge you

March 15, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Just not my cross to bear

@ penney.

Please do not compare the Virgin Mary to all these Hoars and Slluts we have running around masquerading as "unwed mothers". As they are Hoars and Slluts w/basturds for kids.

March 16, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  73. Meg

Free Speech and all- but you are an idiot!!!

March 16, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  74. The Madd Crapper

@ Annie.

Annie condones women behaving as ho's and becoming babymamas with little basturd running to and fro.

March 16, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  75. Horse Hockey

A catholick Canuck. Theres your answer.

March 16, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |