Will Jennifer Lawrence snag 'Hunger Games' lead?
March 14th, 2011

Will Jennifer Lawrence snag 'Hunger Games' lead?

The hunt for a leading lady to star in "The Hunger Games" may soon be over: According to Deadline, "Winter's Bone" star Jennifer Lawrence is the favorite for the big-screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins' teen-fiction trilogy.

As fans of the best-selling novels know, the gory "Hunger Games" books center on Katniss Everdeen, a 16-year-old girl who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in which she is chosen to compete in a government-sponsored reality show that requires her to kill her peers.

Much like "Twilight's" Bella Swan, Katniss also finds herself in a love triangle and is torn between nice-guy fellow contestant Peeta and heartthrob hunter Gale.

Young Hollywood's hottest stars, from Abigail Breslin to "True Grit" actress Hailee Steinfeld, have been rumored to be contenders for the part of Katniss, but it now seems that 20-year-old Academy Award nominee Lawrence is close to landing the gig.

"Neither her reps nor Lionsgate would confirm, but talks should start next week," reports Deadline.

Do you think Lawrence is right for the role of Katniss?

Post by:
Filed under: Books • Celebrities • movies

1. Keegan

I've read the books and I've seen this talented young actress play some pretty diverse roles. I really think that all the stink about her age and her "look" is pretty irrelevant. Obviously, we are NOT studio executives who have the experience and vision for making movies from novels. Some of you are acting like you know better than them. I can totally embrace Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss if she's chosen for the part. The solid acting skills, her toughness and vulnerability, and her intriguing glare and voice are vastly more vital for the portrayal of Katniss than her hair color and her age. Come on, people! It's not called "movie magic" for nothing! Give her a chance! I'd love seeing this girl knock it out of the park!

March 16, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. grace

well tevs... that's pretty harsh.... i mean, how does anyone get gigs in hollywood? people need to change their appearance for different roles, and majority of the time it works stunningly! like mariah carey in precious!
    geez, if lawrence has got the acting chops, why not cast her? and yes, they could cast all sorts of inappropriate, ill suited people but she is neither of those. she is very appropriate, and not ill-suited. and as i said, the ability to act is far more essential. they would be showing fidelity to the books by casting her, rather than casting someone who looks the part but makes a bit of a joke about it. like in twilight. that was an absolute joke in terms of acting, although the characters did look the way they should have.

and ps. HI OTHER GRACE!

March 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tevs

She is just so far removed from the character in the book it's hard to absorb that they would really cast her for this. She may be a great actress but the filmmakers should demonstrate more fidelity to the books and the way the characters are described. The must other great roles that she is being offered where she a much fit in terms of age and looks. If it was down to acting alone they could cast all sorts of inappropriate ill suited people. It should come down all facets and they should not short change the character of Katniss in any area.

March 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ina

No. i cannot see her as Katniss at all. I read all 3 books and when i think of katniss my image and that of the book is so different from the way lawrence looks. I think Danielle Churchran should play Katniss. If Lawrence and Huchersen get chosen for the main characters i am so not watching the movie. please dont ruin the book by choosing the wrong leading characters.

March 16, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Grace

...you all know that she's ONLY 20 right?

March 16, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ann

If they were going to cast someone older, they should have cast Mila Kunis. I have no doubt that she can appear to be 16 easy. She has the dark hair, olive skin, and gorgeous (cat-like) gray eyes that would fit the description of Katniss to a T. She is also an incredible actress and is small framed like Katniss. She would be perfect, I think!

March 16, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. grace

at first i was really against it... but now i can sorta see her as katniss. from seeing her in winters bone she can have the kind of air about her that would essentially make the character of katniss believable.
    guys, look at rooney mara in 'girl with the dragon tattoo'! she looks NOTHING like her normal self. jennifer is a bottle-blonde, you can see she has naturally dark brown roots. in addition, for the part of katniss she would not be looking as glamorous and wouldn't be wearing makeup (have you seen her in 'winter's bone'?), obviously, as the part of katniss is not a glamorous part! she already has grey-green eyes. add a little tan so she's not orange and bam! you have a more katniss-like character. her puffier cheeks will 'deflate' once she starts the intense training regime which will inevitably be required for her role. so if you're so concerned about looks, then really, you still have nothing much to worry about. in addition, she's most likely not going to be wearing skin-tight clothes in the arena so her curves will not be accentuated.
    also, her height might not be an issue either, she's about the same height as steinfeld.

March 16, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joe Plumber

It's Hollywood, what do you expect? It's not about talent, it's about marketing, franchising, and product placement. How much money can you make on the 1st movie before the public figures out it sucks and won't come back for part 2w or 3.

March 15, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. nofreakinway

Katniss is supposed to have dark hair and darker skin. This chick looks like she just stepped off of Rodeo Dr. Make her one of the career tributes and put someone else in the role of Katniss. If this chick is cast as Katniss then I am def no going to see this movie.

March 14, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dancingmachine

considering this a trilogy, they have to understand this girl already looks too old and will be way too old by the the time they make the third movie. But thank the lord for color contacts, hair dye and olive skinned fondation. Maybe after lots of heavy makeup, she'll look like Katniss.

March 14, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kermit

I've read the books – can totally see her as Katniss – but I thought Katniss was supposed to be in her teens, but then again, people in their 20s play teens all the time.

March 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sam

This is upsetting! I submitted for the role about a month ago and sadly, I haven't heard back. It's alright though– I understand, I'm an aspiring actress with little under my belt, however even I know I'd be a better fit than this girl. It's driving me mad that they're probably going to cast her! Raaah, I can think of other actresses who would do much better.

I don't know if anyone wants to give me a hand with maybe getting some recognition? If you would like to I would die if you followed me at @Thesamsteeves and/or liked my facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-for-Katniss-Everdeen/136282953095660

Please don't let it be Lawrence! I probably wouldn't see the movie. D:

March 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

FRIG, and I'm handy with a bow and arrow too! Really! Haha

March 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ehh...

I can't judge your acting skills, because I don't know you, but Jennifer Lawrence isn't some girl they randomly picked because they thought she was pretty. She is an Oscar nominee and she's being considered because she impressed them. Do I think she's the perfect Katniss? No. Do I prefer her to a bunch of other people who matches Katniss's descriptions but whose acting skills are questionable? Yes.

March 15, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. jam

Jennifer Lawrence is fine for the role...and she's too Hollywood???–how?. A lot of the fans are a cross between Comic Book Guy and Beetlejuice. Lighten up and remember, Suzanne Collins...you know, the woman who wrote the book has been having extensive discussionswith Gary Ross and Nina Jacobson about Katniss, the casting process and all things to do with the story. Just trust that all those who know what the hell they are doing are doing the right thing. Arm chair casting directors are really insane.

March 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Vic

How come Hollywood casting agents find it so difficult to cast actors that fit the caracter's described age?

There's just no way you can make me buy this woman as a 16 year old.

March 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jill

Out of all the casting rumors, Jennifer would not be my first choice. Not to say that she won't do well, but she seems a bit too old for the movie, especially if they complete the trilogy. I think the younger actresses would be a better fit. I would like either Abigail Breslin or Hailee Steinfeld in the role.
    Regardless of who it is....bring it on!! I can't wait!!

March 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Colleen

NO WAY IS THAT WOMAN PLAYING KATNISS!!!! She's old and blonde, and we need an unknown actress, not some Hollywood tramp, to play our beloved heroine.

March 14, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Collen, you're a bitter message board troll. Get over yourself. There's a reason you're typing on a cnn message board and not casting for movies yourself.

March 16, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  17. nathan

Let's see:
    Dark hair: check
    Olive skin: check
    grey eyes: check
    Looks 15 years-old: check

Oh wait, I was thinking about all the other actresses who auditioned and actually look like Katniss. My bad.

March 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colleen

I completely agree. This is the on.e time where it's crucial we have an actress who is the actual age of the role she is playing. Lionsgate better not screw this up, this is my favorite series!

March 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • For An Angel

I think it's really telling how not one of your requirements had to do with talent or ability.

March 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. dabrazillian

Jennifer is an amazing actress. I just wished that they would of looked at Jodelle Ferland, she's Katniss perfect description. Anybody who has read the book cannot contest her look. Plus shes an amazing actress too. But if it's between Jennifer and Hailee, I'd rather see someone older snag the role.

March 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jose

Hailee Steinfeld IS Katniss.

March 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Cate

Hailee Steinfeld would totally OWN that role. Either her or some unknown would be perfect. Not trying to knock Jennifer Lawrence but she's just not right for this part.

March 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Trixie

I like Jennifer a lot, but for me I don't think she's right for the part. As a fan of the books, I don't think it would be a good fit. Someone I thought would be perfect is Rachel Dipillo from The Gates I believe she could be an awesome Katniss!

March 14, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jam

Jennifer Lawrence is perfect!...I can't wait to see this film. Hailee Steinfeld is waay too young. As far as specific looks...ever hear of hair dye??. Meryl Streep changes her look for EVERY role she gets. It's called acting people–they change their look and their ACTING does the rest. Having seen "Winter's Bone" and considering Ree Dolly and Katniss Everdeen share striking similarities I would say Lawrence is perfect. It's very silly to say you won't see the film...grow up. Red carpet Jennifer Lawrence will not be playing Katniss Everdeen...Jennifer Lawrence the actress will.

March 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colleen

I don't agree; I believe this is the one time where we actually need a 15/16-year old actress. This WOMAN is too old and Hollywood-ish. In order for Katniss to be depicted accurately, we need a young girl who knows how to act. The whole point of the books is that she's a YOUNG girl, still developing, and by the end we see how far she's come. You people are crazy to think that Jennifer could play the part. We might as well have Kristen Stewart play her if you're planning on casting a huge, awful Hollywood name.

March 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • annamorphos

I agree and disagree with you Colleen. I do agree that Hailee Steinfeld would make an excellent Katniss. Not only did she steal the movie from Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges, she exuded real talent. I'm a theater grad student, and know the difference between talent and no talent (Kristen Stewart). Unfortunately, to get the character of Katniss 100% accurate...you'd need a sixteen year old with the mind set of a forty year old. It just doesn't exist, and expecting the studio to produce that kind of actress is ridiculous. So, unless the fans are willing to have a 26 year old (who looks young) playing Katniss, then they better stop all these expectations. Remember, this is an ADAPTATION of the book, which means they don't have to get everything right.

Also, to the people who claim they "won't see the movie" if whatever actress is cast...nobody really cares. Mainly because millions of other fans will still see it.

March 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Amy

She was fabulous in "Winter's Bone." I think people should give her a chance. She really is an outstanding actress and her physical look can change radically from role to role. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to announce you won't see a movie based on casting before the film has even been shot.

March 14, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Curious George

Winters Bone. Is that about Jonathon Winter who was thought to be gay?

March 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Chelsea

I've been hoping to see her cast ever since I saw Jennifer in Winter's Bone. She is an astounding actress and will do wonderfully in the role if the deal goes through.

March 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kevin is Gay Friendly

Jayduhn Smith is such a wonderful actress Im thinking she should be given the role.

March 14, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

I wonder if they are casting her older to avoid those whole "underage" laws with how long the kids can be on screen... sneaky sneaky Hollywood!

March 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Lisa

She does not fit the character description at all. It would be sad if studio execs chose the easy route of easy name recognition, over careful, accurate casting. As much as I enjoyed the trilogy, I doubt I'd see the movie(s) if they cast Miss Lawrence.

March 14, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  28. msw

No! Hope this isnt true. Would much rather see Hailee Steinfeld as Katniss!

March 14, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  29. Gay Pole Smoker

I would like to see a gay man in this part.

March 14, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  30. Ann

She is absolutely not right for the part. katniss is described in the books as a specific look. this girl cannot pull that off. as a moviegoer, and fan of the books, i wouldn't be able to take it seriously.

March 14, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  31. Brandy

If this is true I probably won't see it (and I didn't think that was possible). I LOVE the books, but the casting rumors I'm hearing have me convince they don't understand the books well enough to do the movies right. They are going to good looks over substance in the main roles – I think Jennifer Lawrence is a wonderful actress but not the right fit for Katniss at all. And all the rumors for Peeta have been pretty boys who are TERRIBLE actors.

March 14, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Tess

I would beg to differ (except with Alex Pettyfer. GAH i hate the thought of him as darling Peeta with every fibre of my being). Jennifer Lawrence would not have been picked because of her looks. I'm betting she went into auditions and delivered a superb performance as a tough yet vulnerable, brave young woman on her way to being slaughtered for entertainment. In the end, I'd rather they pick someone who can accurately portray everything that Katniss is, instead of someone who looks just like the character but has trouble with the emotional range required of them. Appearances are incidental and can be changed but true connection to a role is vital.

March 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |