March 14th, 2011

Do you think Rebecca Black hates Fridays now?

We're pretty sure there was once a time when Fridays were full of awesome and fun for young Rebecca Black, judging from that not-quite-melodic ode to the weekday that's gone viral.

In the "official video" for "Friday," Black sings (with a healthy, healthy assist from auto-tune) about the joys of Friday, when she can decide if she wants to ride in the front seat or the back, and there's nothing but "fun, fun, fun, fun."

Sample lyrics: "Yesterday was Thursday (Thursday)/Today it is Friday (Friday)/We, we, we so excited/We so excited/We gonna have a ball today/Tomorrow is Saturday/and Sunday comes afterwards/I don't want this weekend to end."

But now, after the entire Internet has paused to ask Black "WTH?!" what are the odds she's wishing she could go straight from Thursdays to Saturdays from now on?

Apparently the video was produced by Ark Music Factory, a California-based outfit that seems to be behind similar videos like Alana Lee's "Butterflies" and Kaya's "Can't Get You Out of My Mind." According to Black's profile on the site, she's a 13-year-old aspiring entertainer who has "landed the lead role in her school musical, Oklahoma!"

The response to her video has been overwhelmingly negative, but her name is a trending topic on Twitter and the video has more than 2 million views. Is this a case of all publicity is good publicity?

Filed under: Webisodes

1. Jordan

Think Rebecca Black "Friday" is bad...listen to this one...Jenna Rose "My Jeans" Click on the link for the video http://tinyurl.com/4uns9ty

March 23, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jim

Best possible parody... she might only like wednesdays after this!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6rzatsYr_Q&w=640&h=390]

March 19, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rebecca Black Spoof

There are so many Rebecca Black parodies and spoofs. I think this has to be the best one I've seen though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnZeCusPaMM

March 19, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. As the Stomach Turns

More CRAP. Just freakin' wonderful. If you ignore her, she will go away. But then, if you like this stuff, you're already dead between the ears.

March 16, 2011 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. RebeccaBlacksBiggestFan

You guys got it all wrong... before this song I had no idea that Sunday came after Saturday. And now I don't want this weekend to end... end.

March 16, 2011 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. baseballmom1

I actually know this girl as she went to school with my daughters. The video is awful, the song is terrible and quite frankly, she has wanted to be famous since the 1st grade. As my 13-year old so wisely pointed out today, be careful what you wish for. She wanted to be famous and now she is. She does have some talent but the way they recorded her makes her sound horrible. It's too bad that she was so anxious to be famous that she didn't take the time to really learn about the business and sign with a real recording studio rather than this Ark Music place.

March 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Animal

The dumbing down of America is complete if people need a lameass song to remind them what order the days fall in.

Compared to hearing "Friday", getting waterboarded and castrated while having your fingernails and toenails yanked out with a pair of tweezers is "fun fun fun fun".

Hey Ark "Music" Factory- My dog wants to sing, Can you guys sign him up?

March 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. fartblossom

too bad. she could've had a normal life. now she'll be used up and thrown away before she's 30. but haf dolla be dreamin whiteness and wakin' up to chocolate reality.

March 15, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. Haf Dolla

Naw. I tink she juz b hatn n duh blak manz. y she dun wan 2 b slip n slide un duh majik wand dat haf dolla hab n hib paints? i wish i wuz white.

March 15, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. fartblossom

Yawn! Another talentless kid with a pretty face that the Media Machine will shove down our throats until she either winds up in rehab or jail.

March 15, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Animal

She might get shoved down our throats even more then, like Charlie Sheen or Lindsey Lohan.

March 15, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. besseysturgis

Search online for "Get Samples 123" if you are looking for famous brands samples. It is the best and I always have success.

March 15, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. o'shea jacksin

Ice Cube's song Friday was already a masterpiece. Why in the world would anybody want to damage the creativity of that classic with this? Who is Rebecca Black?

March 14, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Slvr

CNN is just being mean to the poor kid.. the song got too many flaws be we cant deny the fact its AWESOME at the same time. its so refreshing like a lemonade in hot summer.

March 14, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Superhiro

Well if people had to pay to watch that I doubt it would've reached 2,000,000 views.

March 14, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Denizen Kate

Bad publicity is an oxymoron.

The real point behind videos of unknowns that go viral is that our method of watching and listening are all going the way of the internet/WWW. There should be a way for a performer, good or bad, to get paid per view. I'm sure someone is working on that right now.

March 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. CV

Hey, at least "Separate Ways" is an awesome song. "Friday" is not an awesome song, and neither is the video. Simple. :P

March 14, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. anon

I hope her album comes with a gun so I can shoot myself from listening to it. Only way ill buy it.

March 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. anon

I hope her album comes with a gun so I can shoot myself from listening to it, only way I'll buy it.

March 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DLM

this song missed the part where she had a shower, brushed her teeth, combed her hair, put on make up (alot of make up) got dressed opened the door to her room and walked down stairs....what a terrible song. I expect a lot better from a country that brought us 3 CSI's, 2 NCIS's, 2 Criminal Minds...errrr nevermind.

March 14, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. lawlz

FRIED EGG, FRIED EGG

March 14, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. brian

she's just like Soulja Boy; a talentless kid with videos on YouTube. it's unfortunate that more people didn't denounce him the way they're doing her.

March 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jackax18

This girl is just horrible and all she is is auto tune

March 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • jayhow92

she manages to sound horrible on auto tune. I would be afraid of what she sounded like without it.

March 14, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Xenu

Superhiro – You're doing it wrong. Trust me. It has indeed been all over the Internet--universally regarded as the worst music video ever made.

March 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Superhiro

Was it "all over the internet"? As an internet user I can tell you for sure I didn't hear about it.

March 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Superhiro

Well I mean it fits with CNN's typical method of reporting... ya know, seeing what's trending on Twitter and rewording it here. Still this one seems to have less news value than usual, even for CNN.

March 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. whatwhat

hey dummy... its news cuz this vid has been ALL OVER THE INTERNET THIS WEEKEND... where you been

March 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • MeMeMe

There has never existed ANYTHING that's been "all over the internet", Rebecca Black included. Except for HTML of course.

March 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Be Kind

I am speechless. Is this an actual person or a robot? I am pretty sure it's a robot. Please investigate CNN.

March 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Omfg

unfunny. please learn to respect the music industry's new pop princess, thanks.

March 14, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. cheefsfury

YAH BRO SRSLY BAD

March 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Superhiro

Why is this news? Who is this person? I didn't see one recognizeable name or newsworthy item in this whole story.

March 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

Even though this kind of comment would warrant a different response... I agree with you 100% on this one. They offer NO background information on this "Rebecca Black" at all... it's as if they decided to pull a fast one on us after bombarding us with too much Bieber and Gaga.

March 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts Part 2

Knowing she's a 13 year old on Broadway really doesn't narrow down the crowd, either. We need a reason to know why we should care and why she is "popular."

March 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mago

If you want info on Rebecca from an official source, check ww.rebeccablack.info

March 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stark Truth

@Truth Hurts Part 2.

That's, to me, the funniest part of the whole thing. It doesn't even say she's on Broadway. It says that she just got the lead in her school's production of 'Oklahoma!'. She's literally a nobody, who happened to be a part of the new, worst music video ever created (up until now, that prestigious spot was held by Journey for their song "Separate Ways" and it's video. Truly horrendous video, great song though.)

March 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Murg

The video got over 2 million views in two days. That's notable. That's why it's news.

March 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoodMusicOnly

Yo, i saw a response song to her video on youtube already. check it out; hilarious! And I guess the kid did it all in one sitting! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8oBi9cEXaU

March 15, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • SarahC33

I wasted one minute of my life on the video. It was horribly awkward to watch, she appears so uncomfortable.

March 16, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |