Lupe Fiasco: I don't really care about the fame
March 8th, 2011

Lupe Fiasco: I don't really care about the fame

The day his fans have been waiting for has arrived, but Lupe Fiasco doesn't appear to be basking in the glow of his latest album, "Lasers."

The Chicago lyricist's third studio album comes after his critically and commercially successful offering, "The Cool." After some delays - and even scheduled fan demonstrations demanding the record's release - "Lasers" eventually leaked a couple of weeks before the official March 8 release date.

In a candid Q&A compiled from two interviews with New York Magazine, the 30-year-old rapper, born Wasalu Muhammad Jaco, was asked about his hopes for "Lasers."

"To be blunt, I don't really give a [crap]," Fiasco said. “I've grown very distant from the business, very numb to it...I don't really care about the success anymore. I don't really care about the fame. Three, four years later, I look at my bank account statements, and I haven't made any money with my record label. You start to think a little bit differently about your motivations and why you're doing what you're doing."

Despite his bold claim, Fiasco insists that there is no longer any ill will towards his label, Atlantic Records, calling their current relationship "copacetic." Hopefully, he went on, "we'll get through the rest of our contract without too many big hiccups."

Label issues aside, Fiasco has a different problem with the industry: a lack of creativity.

"I’m guilty of it, too," he admitted. "Hip-hop today — talking solely about the commercial space — it’s the same producers, sound, over and over again. The artist with that particularly poppy song is given the first look as opposed to that ethereal, weird artist with the brand-new music."

Take, for example, the Grammys win that had Beliebers targeting their wrath towards one Esperanza Spalding. "The person who wins Best New Artist is this really abstract left bass player," Fiasco said, "[b]ecause it’s about who’s making music, who’s making something different. Justin Bieber sounds just like everybody else, to be honest. He’s the homie; he’s dope. But he’s no different than Sean Kingston, Usher."

Does Fiasco have a point? If you picked up his album, let us know what you think of it in the comments. To hear more on the latest in pop culture, check out the Hollywood Hangover podcast.

1. KCV

Love Lupe! His album "The Cool" was such a breath of fresh air, I wore it out last summer! Great beats, great rhymes and he's not talking "money, Ho's and clothes!"

March 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Silva

I think before everyone jumps on the WHO IS THIS GUY train, you should get on youtube and take a couple listens to his music. I personally recommend Streets On Fire.

March 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Durrr

Lupe Fiasco is one of the best rappers his songs actually have meaning they arent just degrading women or talking about guns and drugs. Not to mention Lupe is one of the fastest and smoothest rappers out there. Dont hate just because you dont know him or his songs are not one of the 12 current songs the radio plays over and over again.

March 9, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. amber

wooooooh! i love Lupe and im glad it isnt fame that he cares about the fame you should do what you love just because you want to.

March 9, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

Check out Not Them! Brand new hip hop group out of Orlando with some HUGE things in the works. Be sure to check out their videos on YouTube. Not Them! Google it!

March 9, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. wow people

Never understood the "using another person's alias" part. In your effort to insult someone using their alias, you're actually giving them more credit and props. So think about that the next time you use it thinking you're insulting someone else... the joke's actually on you.

March 9, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Tootie gotz some big ole Tootiez

Think about this...*POOT* <-right n ya mouth.

March 9, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

@ Tootie

Stop slitting your wrists... it's okay... life will get better for your pathetic soul.

March 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. trix are for kids

LOL to all you guys hating on Ashleigh... closest you tools will ever get to a girl is when you buy a magazine and look in it.

March 9, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. The Urinator

I would rather you drink my urine than listen to this rap/clap/fart/doo doo.

March 9, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. peter

His album is something worth getting. Fresh and New Lupe!

March 9, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. mad hater

Listen to Atmosphere!

March 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ashleigh

All I know is that this new album is really good awesome!!!!!!

p.s if you don't know nothing about this guy then just don't comment leave it at that!

March 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Q

If Lupe doesn't care about the fame and success then why the hell is he dropping an album? I'm pretty sure he does not want it to flop. Lupe loves making music but fame comes with the game. And who does not want to be successful? Would you rather be a loser Lupe? He needs to think before he talks next time.

March 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • QI

You ned to know about contracts. he has a contract to do so many albums, that's why he has an album coming out. he's looking to finish his contract requirements, remember prince and his name change?

March 9, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

wow, u obviously need to do a lil research before you post ur ill informed opinions. id suggest wikipedia. hes state numerous times that he's regretted goin mainstream and gettin a deal. he dropped at least 4 mixtapes that i can think of right now before his first CD came out with Atlantic. he doesnt need the fame to be a headliner in the game.

March 10, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. T I

Lupe comes all the time to jail and gives me conjugal visits.

March 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jess

can't wait to buy this album... and not just cause the music is dope... but because he is right. i wanna support artist bringing in new sounds and style.

March 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Route 202

I'm tried. Anyone else tired today? I'm fr^cken drained.

March 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Quan Dixon

It really burns me up when people make hateful comments about people or things they know nothing about. You have no idea what this man and his music is about but you embody the evil that he rails against in his subject matter. He doesn't make songs about degradation but preservation. He is a global thinker and is critical of Obama, Radical Muslims, and racists. It shows alot about your character to wish a man dead from mere prejudice. If you ever want to at least research someone before you bash them check out songs like "American Terrorist", " Put You on to Game", and "Words I Never Said". But record companies really need to take their hands out of artists' music and stop peddling us junk all the time.

March 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss A from FL

Well said Quan.

March 9, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • jillmarie

Whoa! I wasn't saying anything nasty about Lupe- just that I didn't know who he is. And I'm not a huge fan of rap music so that's probably why. I didn't deserve the attack, calm down. Maybe I will check out his music, and now I know who he is. I'm very educated, none of you know me!

March 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jillmarie

Never heard of him, and I'm really into pop culture. Good thing he "doesn't care" about fame- since I don't know that he really is!

March 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

You sound stupid, how can you be into rap and never hear of him?????.........

March 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silva

So... because you don't know who he is, that automatically writes him off, eh? Please, let me get your Twitter/Facebook/phone number/any point of contact so I can check with you next time I'm confused if Kanye West really is a big factor of pop culture, it happens just so often, you know?!

March 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jessicak45

hes actually really famous if u dont listen to music no wonder why and what the hell is pop culture thats the old days

March 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mitchell

Of course he's right and it's refreshing to see a rapper in the mainstream admit it. We need underground rappers like Immortal Technique or Vinnie Paz in the spotlight, not Drake, Lil Wayne or Nicki Minaj.

March 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Joe

I don't like rap, but Lupe / Wasalu is a good person with lyrics and music that comes from intellectual depth. He's a whole lot better than the female degrading crap that these big labels push. I wish him nothing but the best.

March 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. verbalinfluence

Lol, haters, adorable.

March 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Victor

He does make a good point. Every hip-hop act out there sounds the same. You rarely listen to something today and think to yourself wow, that is different, that is original, it's a brand new sound.

March 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Steven Seagal

Whope Fiasco?

March 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Musicordeaf

Wishing death on someone that you don't even know, classy. Leave it to uneducated to not know Lupe...

March 9, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |