Phil Collins retiring from music
March 7th, 2011

Phil Collins retiring from music

Fans of Phil Collins may be begging for just "One More Night" now that the singing legend has announced that he's ready to retire from music.

In a new interview with FHM magazine, Collins, who has sold more than 150 million records in his 40-plus years in the music business, says hearing problems, a dislocated vertebra and nerve damage in his hands are making it difficult for him to continue his career.

The Genesis singer adds that he now feels like an outsider in the industry.

"I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this'," the "In the Air Tonight" singer tells FHM. "I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely."

The nerve damage in Collins' hands has made it nearly impossible for him to hold drumsticks, but he is more concerned about not being able to play dad to his sons Nicholas and Matthew.

"I'm not worried about not being able to play the drums again, I'm more worried about being able to cut a loaf of bread safely or building things for my kids," he says. "My doctors tell me it's a work in progress, that it will take about a year for me to recover."

But, he says of the drums, "I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Crude oil mazut sellers of crude oil light crude oil purchase on the internet crude oil, we advertise oil components brokers buyers mandate world wide seller obtain on-line greatest seller low-cost vendor

Remarkable issues here. I'm very glad to look your article. Thanks a lot and I am taking a look ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

September 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. icons

You commit an error. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

P.S. Please review Hotel App Tab Bar Icons fo... from logodesignbiz

September 18, 2012 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. icon collection

Charming idea

P.S. Please review Business iPhone Icons from freecursorsicons14

September 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. icon collection

At all I do not know, as to tell

P.S. Please review Hotel App Tab Bar Icons fo... from iconillustration49

September 17, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. icons

It is remarkable, rather valuable idea

P.S. Please review Impressive Menu Icons from iconedencom7

September 17, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. icon design

You are not right. I am assured. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM.

P.S. Please review 24×24 Free Pixel Icons from designesticons

September 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. icon-design

Joking aside!

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

September 14, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. icon-design

I can not participate now in discussion – it is very occupied. But I will return – I will necessarily write that I think.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

September 13, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. icon-design

Today I read on this theme much.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

September 13, 2012 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mike Chambers

Okay, so I'm late to commenting here...

I am a huge fan of Genesis, mostly of the pre-80's Genesis but even then as far as pop went it was top-of-the-heap. Still lots of people out there listening to Land of Confusion today, etc. Plus they always put a couple great tracks on their albums even in the 80's and early 90's for the old fans, to go along side the radio hits.

I was never too huge a fan of most of Phil's solo stuff, but I love Face Value. Great album! Basically, the guy is a legend whether you like him or not. Very distinctive voice that simply can't be mistaken for anybody else, and an excellent one! He could definitely sing.

Cheers to you, Phil.. enjoy retirement after 40 or so years of relentless touring!!!

September 8, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. The Ten MostOff The Wall poker videos Cheats... And The Ways To Use Them!!

Excellent weblog here! Also your web site a lot up fast! What host are you the use of? Can I get your associate link in your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

August 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. piedras para asar carne

Hey There. I found your blog the usage of msn. That is an extremely well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

April 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Online Privacy

Usually I do not learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice article.

April 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. la flawless

i always listen to the songs of phill collins...he is such an insparation of joy and happiness when you listening to his songs....i don't think no one should have anything against him and what he disides is best for his living...the words of "no one will miss me" are words of discouragement getting to find out about his health condition and his future

June 10, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bret Easton Ellis fan

At least Collins has a recognizable voice and style, whether you like it or not. There are many mainstream singers today who I cannot audibly differentiate, and it doesn't matter because their images are what's being sold in their music package, not their artistic voice. Lady GaGa is the extreme example – such an outrageous persona should be- would have been in the past – synonymous with musical daring, however her music couldn't be more banal. Collins' easily accessible pop music has more originality. Unlike most of those who've responded here I'm neither a fan or a hater – but I think he deserves some respect. Let him move on with that at least.

March 28, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  16. Wayne Martin

it's sad that he's leaving but at least he's doing it for a good reason ... http://bit.ly/emPHIv

March 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. winnie

Oh no!Phil think twice

March 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Heather Joy Albury

Phil, you will certianly be missed.

Your songs are unforgetable and you are indeed a music genius!

Your music is always touching and moving...growing up in the 80's you were a 'staple' in the music world..and legends never die..or fade-away...

Many thanks for all the classics you have created. Take care of yourself and May God bless you and your family!

March 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Phil Fan

This is stupid!! People will miss him immediately! Hopefully someone will tell him that we all love him and need his music. I hope he'll come back. I mean, a Nervous Breakdown didn't stop Brian Wilson, so why should nerve damage stop Phil? I hope he still continues in his AMAZING musical career!!

March 9, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil Fan wants to nuzzle my goober

To compare collins to Brian Wilson is like doing a comparison of Jupiter to Pluto. There is no comparison. Collins is a just a drunken fool. Wilson is still brilliant.

I hope we have heard the last from crybaby collins and he should take out the razor and get it overwith.

March 9, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dr Death

Phil...its almost time. Do you have enough strength remaining to PULL MY FINGER!!!

March 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. auntieann

Phil Collins is one of the best talents ever! Thankfully we have his music history to get us by until he returns.......
    His future music will be sorely missed. Take a rest and enjoy life Phil. THANKS!!!!!!

March 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Chere

ARE YOU KIDDING????? NO ONE MISS YOU???? People actually listend to your songs for more than just the beat or hook. Phill you are a legend :) <3

March 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Steven Soffer

phil retired years ago. the stuff he did with genisis(UP TO 1976) was brillant. selling england by the pound, lamb lies down are classics in the truest sense of the word. he pop stuff is boring trite, for the masses that want background noise whilst they climb the ladder to being a jr. tradder or accountant. as another posted, words that matter come from dylan, floyd, ray davies, marvin gaye, stevie wounder, joni mitchelle so forth. i mean i wish him well and good health.he, pete and the boys did a kick ass gig as the openers for yes in 1973/74. calling him great would be saying that micheal bolton has soul, or kenny j is a jazz man. also the WHITEST AUDIENCE IN THE WORLD. Not as scary white as dave matthews or jimmy buffet but almost....

March 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ryan

I will miss him. :'(

March 8, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • la flawless

me 2...he has this natural tone in his vioce that any one could fall in love with

June 11, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  25. Movie Time

Since Mr Collins and Mr Ritchie were both part time hacks with failing careers perhaps a gay X-rated film might jump start their careers.

Good Riddance to both of them.

March 8, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mike

Hey Phil, the more power to you. It's nice to someone have the proper priorities in life. Enjoy your family!!

March 8, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  27. ayush gaur

im grown with his song his voice still inherit in my mind "just another day you and me paradise!! paradise!! "
    Im crazy about his song

March 8, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  28. Mark

I really don't blame Phil for leaving the music business, the business he sees on the MTV Awards. I think what he is saying is "today's music really sucks!" and I totally agree with him. Today's "artists" really have no musical talent, not like years ago when a musician actually knew how to play an instrument, instead of "artists" today of yell and banter into a microphone...Time to dust off my classic rock vinyl records...I for one won't be downloading any "new" music.

March 8, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  29. Wayne Sanelli

When I read Phil's decision I was NOT surprised. A while back I read that Phil complicated taking his own life and that was sad in of it's self. I was a fan of both Genesis/Phils and my heart goes out to Phil. May blessings help Phil to overcome the hardships of life. Must not be easy getting nerve damage like that. I hope Phil has plenty of love as he gave the world love many times over. I think he will be missed as an entertainer but his health is MORE important and so thanks you for all the years you gave to the world Phil. Never realized that drummers could suffer these injuries but it's possible. Remember your loved Phil. ALWAYS.

March 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Lavo

Who really cares??? He's been off the scene for best part of a decade anyhow. Maybe his record company are preparing his last big layout for yet another greatest hits release?

March 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Music fan since 60s

Several years ago I reluctantly went to a Phil Collins concert with my wife, thinking it would be lame. What a great surprise! To this day I still consider it to be one of the best concerts I ever attended. The showmanship was great, but the musicianship was even better. He played like a madman, sang with energy and on key, poured out lots of energy and showed a precision and appreciation for producing great music that many other performers should emulate. You don't have to like every song he ever did – there are a few Beatles songs I could do without – but you can't deny his skill and professionalism. He laid it all out for his audience that night. Thanks, Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Philled-Out

F I N A L L Y !!!

March 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Tammy

Good luck and God Bless you Phil Collins. They don't play music and sing like he did. He will be truly missed.

March 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Prog Rock Dinosaur

Pop music will miss Collins. And, while he was a great drummer, I was more saddened that Phil's contemporary, Bill Bruford, retired from drumming two years ago. Now THERE is a great drummer.

March 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. november

Thank you phil for all the great music you have made.Your talent will be sorely missed.Hope to see you again one day

March 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Geezer Rock

I heard that song on the radio that goes: Ive been waiting for all my life-so hold on.he kept repeating the lines over and over and over. Not much of a song writer.Don't tell me he is one of those guys in his sixties with small kids.They will be set for life with money but having a dad that is your friends grand or great grand dads age has to be tough.I guess he will probably be gone before they know it.

March 7, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  37. TX Deb

What a blessing you have given us fans for all these years. So glad to hear you have your priorities straight. Best of luck with your boys and a normal life . . . whatever that is! Thank you so very much.

March 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Salvatore

While I bet he could still compose, and whish that he would, it realy is up to where his heart is in making his decision. A comment like thinking he wont be missed says allot about his frame of mind. He obviously knows that his abilities and accomplishments are nothing short of amazing. I am hoping that he will soon find himself in a place of better self evaluation and peace of mind.

March 7, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mitchel

It's really sad he is my favorite musician he always be one of the best, because he always Take me Home!

March 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Chris Synfield

Phil was one of the most talented drummers in the business. His drum wars with Bill Bruford & Chester Thompson were epic. Guy never really got the props he deserved for the mad percussion skills he had. But I can't blame him in the slightest – being a dad is job one, and his lads have a pretty cool, talented bloke for theirs. Excuse me while I put on Selling England by the Pound.....

March 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Pam

Yes, Phil, you will definitely be missed, especially by us baby boomers. Your music has seen us through so many dates and relationships; what sweet memories your music will always have. Don't ever feel that you don't belong, because you do; always.

March 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  42. TruthTell007

Of course we will miss Phil! He is REAL music :) And that's coming from a 30 yr old. love u Phil!

March 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. WOBH

Never was a big fan but he will be missed. Charlie Sheen?.... not so much.

March 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Paul Paz y Mino

While the news is not false this report is continuing to mislead people to think that Phil is angry or depressed. If you want to know what Phil REALLY thinks – he issued a statement today:

March 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  45. MrCherryJuice

I've dealt with both Peart and Collins, and I think you will find that they are quite different people and players. Phil is 'organic' (as stated above), while Neil is 'studied'. But ss Ringo is the best Ringo in the world, so Phil is the best Phil, and Neil the best Neil. And I would bet money that if you asked either who was better, they would point to the other. And that, critics, is the reality. As for those of you who base judgment of Phil Collins on the material he produced with Genesis (a 'group' effort) and his solo career (more a compositional context than one of drumming), you also miss the point. Phil's session work with Argent (some tracks on 'Counterpoints') and Rod Argent's 'Moving Home' solo album (both late 70s) smokes!!! So does a lot of his other work. No, he's not without fault (the Zep 80s Zep concert was messy (two drummers), and his time with Eric Clapton was a bit dodgy). But hey! He's a writer, actor, producer, musician... and really, a sensational drummer. He's PHIL COLLINS! No go offer some intelligent comment on the situation in Libya.

March 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. tom

Phil collins. Always sucked face it.

March 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Cereth

Both Sides is a highly underrated album...both deeply personal and soulful. Abacab is a great Genesis album.

March 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jim Eplin

Good luck Phil. I will truly miss you.

March 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Phil Fan

Phil Collins is a classy guy. You've always got a home in San Antonio, sir. You don't forget the Alamo (a passion of yours) and we won't forget you. Hope those hands heal fast.

March 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  50. RichP, easton, pa

Go for it Phil, get the medical stuff done, it's worth it, it is a real pia not to be able to do things you take for granted. You are probably finding out how tough it is not to be able to feel things that you never thought about before. I'll be going under the knife in a few more weeks for both hands once I get some necessary stuff out of the way. You and you kids come first.

March 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Victoria

Thanks for all the great music through the years, Phil. I still enjoy listening to it a lot. Active or not in the music industry, you and and will forever be a truly great musical artist. That said, you have your priorities straight in terms of your family and your kids. Enjoy them, Phil. Stay positive and stay strong. You are loved.

March 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Zoltan, Ruler of the Universe

Puny Humans! Mr. Collins is one of the best! Bieber ain't fit to wipe Phil's behind! Gaga? Please! She escaped from my colony on Venus!

March 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Gretchen

I bet he won't really retire. He can still sing and write songs. He just can't play the drums, and maybe shouldn't tour. I love his music. No need to retire!

March 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  54. erich555

That's like saying Leonard Nemoy is retiring from Star Trek.

March 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. lancon454

I have to say that Phil Collins will missed, sure maybe not by the overnight bubblegum music of today, but by people that know real music and a true artist. I understand why he is leaving it behind, but he will be missed and a great loss to music will take place. I can see why his says that he does not belong anymore, has anyone looked at music today? It is just a waist land of trash, and very little talent! There are some artist still around, but we will never see the likes of Phil ever again. I think that there should be a party of some kind for him leaving the industry and for the record companies to show him that he is a true treasure to the music world. I know that Phil will never see the things that we have said on this site, but I hope that he will find out that he will be missed. God bless you Phil Collins, you are already missed!

March 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Canopy

Lewy Stupy is a eunuch!

March 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Name*ke

BS'D
    I thought he retired in 1987!

March 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Schenewerk in Springfield

It's sad that my hero won't be able to play the drums again.

Thank Jesus that I'll always have the memory of the night we spent together back in 99.

I'm glad we all get to enjoy his masterpieces because of the recording industry.

March 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  59. DarthJedi

About damn time Phil! Your so called career over the last 20-30 years has been one joke after the next. You go from the brilliance that was Genesis to re-making old Motown songs (badly) and droning bubblegum pop ballads that never end.
    I will miss your drumming however. You were one of my inspirations for learning the instrument and one of the true greats on it.
    What the hell happened?!?!?!?

March 7, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  60. grungem0nkey

no phil say it ain't so! I've been a fan of your music since birth. I understand you gotta take care of your kids but I was always hoping to see you play live

March 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Shawn

Phill needs to stop putting himself down. I've loved his music for years. I still have the Miami Vice episode with him in it. Great composer and truly a wonderful talent that could go to help other young people who are trying to make it in the industy. don't give up Phill, you've always had a purpose and still do. You may want to retire but the people won't let you. Some how, some way you'll find yourself back up on stage. Either singing or behind the scenes.

March 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Dsn63

Always wanted to see him and Stewart Copeland do a drum duet.Sorry he's retiring.

March 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Ray Ray

Will definitely miss your work, loved in the air 2nite, su su,one more nite, just another day..... strong lyrics and also remember and cherish your performances in "Live Aid" (still have VHS tape of event)

March 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Crybaby Collins

Collins probably sits around all day in his depends undergarments rubbing his warm doo doo all over his chest and face then plays cowboy and indians with the local truants.

March 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Chickie

Some ppls kids...

March 7, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Stem

Su su super gay.

March 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Chickie

I wish Phil could use his hand long enough to right hook all of your haters, in a "Hangover-esque" way to the song "In The Air Tonight". Mike Tyson style. I saw a comment that read "How do you retire from doing nothing?". Genius (as sarcastically I can convey through text). The man still performs and does shows, and not just in the U.S. Lay off. I've been a fan for all 25 years of my life. God bless ya, Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  68. ByePhil

I think Phil is more broken up by the lack of talent in today's music industry judging by his comments about the MTV music awards. I don't blame him one bit for disassociating himself with the garbage that pollutes today's airwaves.

March 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Aaron Moore

Perhaps thed best compliment of any musician would be to not fit in to today's crappy music world. Thanks for all the great music Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Scott Morehouse

It's sad to hear that Phil has decided to retire,
    As far as the music industry goes,I think his music and career is far above any of these cookie cutter pop stars of today I don't think any of us will remember lady ga- crap!!
    As a fellow left handed drummer he will be missed for his inspiring drum parts and writing of music,Real music,real vox and great performances.
    Enjoy life Phil you've earned it.

March 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. JorgeTrini

All good things must come to an end and unfortunately its no different with Phil Collins. Thank you Phil for decades of great music, its music we will continue to enjoy for years to come. From your many fans here in Trinidad & Tobago and around the world...best wishes to you.

March 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  72. sealchan

Phil is a great drummer and he has a great voice. I appreciate most the work he did as drummer with Genesis when they were a progressive rock band and his voice on songs back before they became a pop band.

Phil Collins is one of the great progressive rock drummers! Long live prog rock!

March 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Sir Loin Beef

PC retiring: Well I've been waiting for this moment all my life, oh lord! Lol

March 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Voice Coach

Dear Phil, We never liked ya much anyway so go to hell and shut up!

March 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  75. lsh3011

OK, I have to add my 2 cents after reading some of these comments. I am a big fan of the Gabriel-era Genesis, and I was somewhat disappointed when they started going in their poppy direction in the mid-80's. Having said that, there is no denying that Phil Collins was a world class drummer, a good singer, and very successful songwriter. I played drums in a Gabriel-era Genesis cover band for a while, and learning Phil's parts was a challenge indeed. His playing with Brand X was even more amazing, and at his peak I would put him up there with any other rock drummer you would care to name. I wish him a speedy recovery and thanks for all of the music.

March 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Paul Nkansa

Phil like most of your fans we will more than sorely miss you! Legends are never forgotten they live on forever! Your compositions will never die. Even if this may be your last song this does not mean curtains we want to see you at events from time to time just to know you are well.
    God Truly bless you.

March 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Paul Nkansa

God Truly bless.

March 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Sir Loin Beef

My opinion is that PC should have retired when he left Genesis in the first place.

March 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Drunkard

Collins doesnt belong. He was a mediocre drummer, pop song writer and overall jerk. I watched him on some awards show once and he was so wasted he could barely remember the words to one of his silly songs.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO COLLINS.

March 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  80. LaterGatter

It's a sad day in the music industry when one of the greatest, most down-to-earth entertainers feels like he doesn't belong. Phil practically paved the way for drummers who sing. He's inspired many other greats such as Dave Grohl.

March 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  81. George

An excellent drummer. Check out his work with fusion group Brand X. Agree with the earlier comments about Genesis.

March 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Ed Money II

Phil is one AWESOME drummer!

March 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  83. quattrobro

As for the vitriol and racial epithets spewed by various individuals on here, it is quite sad. It is sad that you would say hurtful things about a man, who can no longer perform anymore. A good portion of you wouldn't know good music if it hit you in the face, but there's a way to constructively criticize someone without spewing hateful words.

If you're a lover of music, it's all right to say something sucked or that you didn't like it. Case in point "Su Su Sudio" was a pretty dumb song, but the level of musicianship in the songs were awesome. You hear those horns (Phoenix horns of EW&F fame)?! Check yourself people.

March 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Ed

Thanks, Phil, for years of great music. I think my cousin liked you a bit too much, though. I'm sure if he had the money he would have bought a trench coat and spent his nights hanging out near shadowy steam grates.

March 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  85. quattrobro

I was never an authority figure on Genesis or either of their configurations with Gabriel and Collins, but they had some pretty cool songs respectively. I grew up in the '80's when Phil was huge with songs like "Land of Confusion," "One More Night, " and "Throwing It All Away."

As a musician, I respect Phil Collins for his musicianship and contribution to music. As for his drumming prowess, I would wager to say that he was an above average drummer. Listen to Tears For Fears' "Woman In Chains. Very nice touch with the drumming by Phil in that song. Sometimes less is more. It's very sad that He will no longer be able to do what he loves, but to be a father to his kids is something truly special. Good luck Phil! Thank you for all of the wonderful music.

Lastly, the quote by Peter Gabriel whenever it was said was in very poor taste. I like Peter Gabriel and his album 'So' is one of my favorites of all time, but don't tell me that didn't "stir the pockets" because that joint was getting some serious, serious play on the airwaves and MTV back in the day. Let's not be the pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Gabriel.

March 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  86. minnymouse007

Phil collins is the #1 choice on my Pandora........... even my kids who are in their late teens, early 20's can sing along. If you ask me...... new songsters and writers of today music could learn a lot from Phil.. prayers for a total recovery

March 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Kuddln

I luv Phil Collins... he's my Idol.. .he makes beautiful music and songs for us!

March 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Harry P. Styles

You're wrong, Phil. Lost of people will miss you. Best wishes for a happy, healthy "retirement." And, oh yes, thanks for the memories and all the great music.

March 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Kuddln

OMGoodness! The good composers are leaving us high-n-dry.... OMGoodness.... I guess I need to watch more of American Idol or that other scene, "So you think you can sing?!"

March 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Rohan, san Diego, ca

Sorry to hear Phill is retiring. His music and lyrics inspired me from my early teens to today. I am fortunate to have seen him live on his last tour during his stop in Milwaukee, WI. It was an unforgettable performance. Good luck on your recovery and hopefully you get to write more of your meaningful songs for this generation that is big void these days.

March 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  91. SackLunch

I bet all you idiots heaping praise on collins are the same idiots that liked the thompson twins, pet shops boys, kazagoogoo and all that other 80's crap. They were losers then and remain losers now...LIKE YOU!

March 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • quattrobro

Yep! Didn't like all of their songs, but between the artists you mentioned, they had some great songs between them. I also like Prince, Eric Roberson, Donny Hathaway, Tears For Fears, Dexter Gordon, Level 42, Incognito, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Micheal Brecker, Jeff Beck, Joni Mitchell, Little Dragon, Jazzanova, and a plethora of other great musicians to which I'm sure is way over your head. Keep your Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and your Black Eyed peas.

March 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  92. sensitive

Health is very important and I'll pray for you, Mr. Collins. Hope that one day you'll come back because you'll be missed. Good luck to your health and your family. God bless!

March 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  93. KFG - NY

It’s a sad day for music. Yes Phil you will be missed very much. I have seen more Genesis /Phil Collins concerts then I can count, to watch Phil Collins play the drums is a work of art. Most of today’s musicians can’t hold a candle to Phil. The music business of today is nothing like it was, now if you get a million hits on YouTube you’re a music star. Give me a break!

March 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  94. SuzieQ

I am 43 years old and one of the few of you that probably ACTUALLY GREW UP with both Genesis with Gabriel and with Collins, and with Phil's solo career. Honestly, I have great memories of them all as I look at the incarnation of Genesis totally different than the one with Collings. BOTH are enjoyable. Why do we need to pick who is better. It is a silly discussion for 3 year olds on the level with "who is your favorite Power Ranger"?
    Phil Collins has more talent in that damaged little pinkie than most of us have in our entire body, and I am so glad to say that I saw him live a few times.
    He is correct in that he is too good to today's music industry...Justin Bieber?? Miley Cyrus?? Kanye West? No offense if any of these are your fave's but Phil, enjoy your family and know that that a legion of fan's will always remember you.

March 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Grondahl

My opinion of Phil Collins was mostly in line with his South Park caricature, but he earned my respect when he sat in to drum with Black Sabbath for the Queen's birthday or whatever it was. That was awesome.

Phil, don't take any cues from MTV concerning what good or important music is, but if this is the right time, you have my best wishes.

March 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Dog Bone

HA...I could stick a pair of drumsticks up my rear-end and play better than collins.

March 7, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Lido Shuffle

Dear Phil, Thank God you time upon this earth is almost over. Your music, like you, was pretty much all flash and no substance. Hope you enjoyed the money butt it still will not be enough to buy your way out of hell. Say hello to JFK, MLK and RFK for us...YOU F-ING LOSER!

March 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Kick it

Ringo Starr is a better drummer than this collins hack could ever imagine to be. I wish John Bohnam was still around so he could visit collins, give him some drumming lessons the kick the living hell out of him.

March 7, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Now if....

something would happen to bonos voice it would be a glorious day.

March 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Ken

I agree that Phil is a great drummer and made some outstanding music in his 40+ years. Todays music will not be played as yesterdays music is. I'm glad that I was able to live when Phil and so many others made music and concerts worth going to.

March 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Drumhead

Even though phils music did quite often stink and stink very badly Im sure he can still beat his tom tom.

March 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Ben

It breaks my heart that he looks at music today, doesn't want to be a part of it, and that people won't miss him. Phil will be missed by SO many!

March 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  103. All you dumb kids

Collins was a commercial dunderhead churning out crappy music like your dog does feces. And you ALL fell for it...LMAO!! AHH HAHAAA!!!! oH GOD, make it stop. LMAO!!! My sides are aching from all the laughter and such STUPID comments being made by phils fans...LMAO!!!

March 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • You Win!!!

You win the award for the DUMBEST COMMENT EVER MADE on CNN. Congratulations!!! Your alcoholic mother must be proud of her accident child!!!

March 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • uh

If you find this article and its comments THAT amusing and comment on how stupid they are... you must have a pretty pathetic existence.

March 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Typo

The first song ever heard by Brand-X must have been written for those who can do nothing but degrade....'Born Ugly'.

March 7, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  105. George B

So sad to hear he's going out this way – I'm sure he's frustrated and disappointed that he can't physically play anymore.

March 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  106. LLBD

Dear Phil – thanks for the music – loved it all – wish you all the best, who knows, you might come out again – cuz if Cher and Prince and others can do it, you might too. Either way, thanks for the music – shall remember you with great memories.

March 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Typo

Those who think he's 'a hack' should SHUT THEIR MOUTH, LISTEN TO BRAND-X & then come see me.

March 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • lsh3011

Totally and completely agree. Say what you will about the later 'drum machine' phase of his career, but as a drummer he was amazing. His work with Brand X stands out even above his early Genesis work. The guy could play like Billy Cobham!

March 7, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Dr Feelgood

Neil Peart and John Bohnam could do more with one foot that Collins could do with all 5 appendages...Collins was a hack.

March 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • lsh3011

Now THIS is a funny comment. You are obviously not a musician, and you are certainly not a drummer. Both Neil Peart and John Bonham (if he was still around) would laugh in your face if you said that to them. I think both of those guys are great, but if you want to know just how good a drummer Phil Collins was, maybe you should try actually listening to a few things that didn't get played on the radio...like everything he recorded with Genesis through about 1978, and all of his recordings with Brand X for a start.

March 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Hubba Bubba

Collins was 6th grade bubble gum music. All you "deep" thinkers are deceiving only yourselves.

March 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Tammy

His talent and music will be missed.
    He was music when it was music and not crap. Get well soon and God Bless.

March 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  111. LOL...*POOT*

The reason all you atomitons like Collins is because the MEDIA told you too like him. Just as they told you to like Bono...LMAO...What a group of mindless sheep.

March 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Tom

Who is going to write your Disney music now? ha ha ha ha ha. Good for Phil!

March 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  113. The OGS

Phil was (and still is) a magnificent, huge talent.
    Many are unaware, because of his career transitions throughout the decades, what an iconic world-class drummer he was.
    You only have to listen to 'Selling England by the Pound' for a reminder – he ruled in the early 70's, incomparably proficient with the sticks.
    Can't think of another who compares! He was the very best.
    Listen for yourself, especially on Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show...
    Best regards Phil, and thank you.

March 7, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  114. MJ

Thought he retired like 15 years ago

March 7, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  115. Typo

You my not like his politics, & I'll agree he's made some stupid, public comments, but his music will live a lot longer than some of you jerks. Brand-X was 1 of the baddest fusion bands of it's time. I'll listen to you denounce his work when you can do better.

March 7, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  116. PMS

Who the f- – k cares! For the idots that says they will miss him etc etc put a cd in of his and hear is voice. He is retiring NOT dying!!

March 7, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • @ PMS

At the end of the day, it seems that the only one in need of Midol is you, "PMS." You described yourself perfectly.

March 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Mark

There is a God.

March 7, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris Synfield

Yes, and he thinks you're a tool.

March 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • in the air

one of the greatest musicians in the world is retireing, none of us make fun of your type of so called "music" so dont you dare even think about coming to our hero and bashing him like this. I honestlycant wait til one of your favorite artists retires, then the rest of Phil's fans will rip you anew one on how terrible of an artist the are. what comes around goes around

March 11, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  118. Julia

Phil Collins has three songs in my fave top 10. He will be sorely missed!

March 7, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  119. Athalwolf

Thanks for the music Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  120. Linda

The music of Phil Collins has been a big influence on my life. Talented and prolific! I will miss you, Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  121. joe

i love phll collins he is a great singer song writer ahd he deserves to be honerd ! aginst all odds is my favoret and the lion king sound track god blees you phil hope you get well soon

March 7, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  122. Guest

Wrong Phil. You WILL be dearly missed.
    Your songs can beat any Bieber and Gaga songs, any time. You are a LEGEND !!

March 7, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  123. land of confusion

Confused as to this quote below. I enjoyed phil collins music even su su.... Had a floormate in college that will be devastated as he was a big fan. His musical taste evolved to getting stoned with rush and laser shows so I am not sure if that is a ringing endorsement or not.

"I heard that after Let's Dance made him so huge and he was playing massive stadiums, David started looking out at the audience and seeing Phil Collins fans, and he was devastated because he really wanted Iggy Pop fans. I asked him about that, and he said it was true about the Collin's fans but he didn't want Iggy Pop fans either."

March 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  124. J-5150

I have always been a fan of his music and I think it's great that Phil Collins realizes that it's time to retire and leave the industry gracefully, instead of being an aging artist trying to keep up by putting out sub-par songs.

I don't understand artists like Springsteen, Heart, Tom Petty, and Journey who keep releasing songs in the hopes of being big again. Music has changed, not for the better, and these artists of the 70's and 80's should follow Collins lead

March 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  125. Big Fan!

Phil will be greatly missed! He is a true artist and one of the last of the greastest. YOU WILL BE MISSED BY US, THE FANS!

Note to Trolls: Find somewhere else to play around.

March 7, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  126. the_dude

Phil dont give up. Just dress up like a woman and wear a scarf over your neck to cover the adams apple. Then call yourself lady papa.

March 7, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  127. PTM

Turn it onnnnnn, turn it on, turn it on again. GREAT SONG and just one of MANY. Yeah Phil had some girlie forgettable songs, but for the most part, he and Genesis were awesome. He's also wrote many songs for others that were hits as well. Go to your 'Home by the Sea' Phil and take it easy, you've earned it.

March 7, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  128. ProckRock Fan

Well this is not new news, he has been mentioning this for several months now and I take this as the official public release. Simply he is an amazing musician and writer...most people do not even know he is a drummer because they don't listen to pre-80's material. Which is a shame for those that don't......some of the greatest albums in progressive, symphonic rock history are by Genesis.......he and Genesis have been missed for the past several years....

March 7, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • PTM

Sonny Crockett's theme song on Miami Vice, "Just a Job To Do', GREAT song.

March 7, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  129. Tati

Phill Collins is a God. Even if he is no longer in the industry he will always be heard.

March 7, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  130. Sean

Or, put a different way, how many short, fat, bald guys (in this world where we idolize youth and beauty) can sell out Wembley Stadium (not the arena, the stadium) four nights in a row, or lead a sell-out European and US tour in his 60s? I was surprised to learn the other day that Genesis ranks in the top 20 of all-time highest grossing artists, thanks in good part to Phil and in spite of the fact that at least half their output was noncommercial and highly esoteric in nature.

(And for those who argue that popularity and sales success isn't everything – which is true, of course – I'd ask you to look back to Phil's treatment of material like Firth of Fifth, or the way he drummed the 9/8 section from Supper's Ready, or the stuff he co-wrote without Gabriel like Los Endos, Squonk, Afterglow and Dance on a Volcano (which wasn't big commercially either) and show me any better examples of real originality, creativity and musical integrity.

Phil, you were bloody awesome and fifty years from now your legacy will still be growing. I wondered if these comments ('oh, just forget about me...') were a little self-pitying but I believe they are sincere and please know that not only did you make millions of people happy, you *continue to do so* because your best music will continue to live on and be listened to for as long as we have ears.

March 7, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  131. Patrick Bateman

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums

March 7, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

I've read the "meditation on intangibility" argument about that song before (probably from you on a Genesis forum, since it's unlikely that two people would have independently thought up the same very specific thing) and I found it fascinating to hear someone holding up "Invisible Touch" as their finest output. To me it has always seemed like a hollow lyric played to a facile melody, and I have never "got it" and probably never will. (Conversely, the prog-era stuff you don't connect with is, for me, what it's all about, and probably never to be equaled). But what this shows more than anything is the ability of Phil (and Mike and Tony) to sketch in a range of styles, and to connect with people across a range of genres. It wasn't only prog and pop, it was Jazz/ funk (Brand X), big band, Disney (Phil) and so on. Just because I don't "get" something (I'm clearly vastly outnumbered if you compare the sales of Invisible Touch with, say, Selling England) doesn't mean I dismiss it. So what you have here is a varied legacy that shows real musicianship and mastery of a wide range of styles. I think there are people who felt betrayed because Phil moved on from the thing they personally loved the most, and accused him of "selling out" (a cheap shot if ever there was one). He didn't. He played what he was personally interested in and listening to in the 80s, which wasn't progressive rock. Also, there were two other strong-willed guys in the band (so why does everyone pick on Phil?) and even Gabriel was making chart hits like Big Time and Sledgehammer. It's amazing how such a talented musician, who contributed so much, can be so denigrated.

March 7, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Patrick Bateman

@Sean: My apologies, I accidentally hit the 'abuse' button; I meant to hit reply. I hope they don't ban you.

The comment is quote from a movie. I suspect it'll be posted numerous times today.

March 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bret Easton Ellis fan

from a movie but first from a book. the Collins manifesto is even more verbose in the book.

March 28, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  132. Orwellio Spears

It's true that after his peak in the late 80s – early 90s, his style went through a metamorphosis – severely into the pop realm thanks/no thanks to his involvement with Disney. Prior to that, on the albums No Jacket Required and Invisible Touch, a lot of good music was being made.

Take a look at a similar transition with Bryan Adams. In the Reckless album, you see some fantastic straight-ahead rock n roll. After that: movie themes and love ballads.

March 7, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  133. Amy

You have been my favorite artist and musician since I was 3 years old... "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven" was the first single I ever heard and quickly ate up any Genesis or Solo albums my mom and dad would hand me. I'm only 24 and absolutely heartbroken over this. Please do not ever feel like an outsider. Many of your fans are young and you truly had an amazing influence on their lives... including my own. I understand family is more important, but know your fans love you.

March 7, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  134. Barbarra

Phil Collins is sadly mistaken if he things he will not be missed.. there is at least 2 generations that have grown with his amazing music... from the first time he played drums in 1956 at the age of 5 til today... he has been a huge huge pillar in the music community.. everyone in music today I am sure at one time or other, used something of this man in their lives.
    I for one, have at least 140 of his recordings and I will aways cherish them, and listen to them. You will be missed visually but your music will always be in my heart... enjoy your retirement and your time with you family. You sir have earned it.

March 7, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  135. Bob

Hey, if you don't like his music don't listen to it. Many do, like those who bought 150,000,000 of his albums. He is a great singer/drummer who has entertained millions of people around the world. Go enjoy your family Phil. We'll miss you!

March 7, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  136. Geoff H

wow – the ignorance here is astounding (though clearly not everyone)! Phil Collins indeed had some pretty disposable songs but for the most part Genesis (and a good chunk of Phil's solo material) is testament to what a phenomenal musician Phil Collins is. As much as I love Gabriel Genesis, Trick of the Tail is one of the best albums ever! And Genesis' post-Gabriel longevity can't be argued with either. The disrespect shown here is just wrong, but so sadly these days, not surprising.

March 7, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  137. Jen

You will be missed, Phil! He was certainly a talent.

Jen

March 7, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  138. soodivine

CUDOS TO YOU and Genesis! Your bank account reflects just how good you ARE! May God bless you and your family Phil Collins. Gosh I'm jealous I have to work many more years before my retirement. YOU have been a great contributor to the music industry and yes we do value you and respect your decision. Thank you immensley!

March 7, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  139. Raz

A BIG LOSS! He still is the best in live concert. I will miss his songs and performance ...live or recorded

March 7, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  140. Thorbecke

I could feel that coming in the air last night.

March 7, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  141. Dee

We will miss you along with lot of good artists that we don't hear anymore. There is no music today just an industry that keep producing auto tuned half naked bunch of people who keeps playing the same thing over and over . There are few good artists but they hardly get the air time, it's the auto tuned pop prince and princes that rule the air waves, so i guess that's how the future is going to go. Good luck with your future Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  142. Bored Trolls

Seems like some middle/high school kids really have nothing better to do than to write negative comments to illicit angry responses from the others. An inferior generation awaits this country... these kids are proof.

March 7, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  143. ken

some of his music was garbage but the majority of his songs were pure quality!

March 7, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  144. Big Fan

Phil is "The Man" !!! Thank You for all of the years of great music !!

March 7, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  145. Sean

Seconds Out – arguably the best rock album ever recorded, and Phil was right in the middle of it, with as much pressure to succeed, and as much public skepticism, as any musician has faced.

When I took up drumming 8 years ago, I expected to find the inside-drumming world not taking Phil very seriously. On the contrary, he is hugely respected as someone who absolutely had the chops, and was highly innovative with his ideas.

When Phil took over from Gabriel, his live vocal performances often actually IMPROVED the Gabriel era material from Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and the Lamb. They made two albums in a 10 month period – A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering – which exceeded every expectation and held their own against anything else from the Gabriel/ prog period. Then PROGRESSIVE ROCK DIED and the music industry changed forever in the post-punk period, for everyone, not only Genesis. The real change in the music occurred only after Hackett (not Gabriel) left and the remaining three charted a completely new direction. Phil not only went onto lead Genesis to much more success, he kicked off a great solo career with an epic album called Face Value. If you dislike his later output, don't listen to it, but there are artists everywhere who lacked Phil's real musicianship as a drummer, singer and songwriter, who would be more deserving of your scorn.

March 7, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  146. james

Wow. You are one of the best and you present so much humility.

March 7, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  147. john

the subject matters not. There will always be those who are nice and comment with empathy, and those shmucks who can't. My hat is off to you Phil. A great musician.

March 7, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  148. Annie

Why are people so mean-spirited and nasty? If you don't like someone's music it doesn't mean that musician is not talented, and it sure doesn't mean you have superior taste in music. Obviously many did like the music of Phil Collins or he would not have lasted 40 years in the business. I am willing to bet most of today's 'musicians' will not last half that long. There are legions of fans who will miss Collins and continue to listen to his music. When you people post ugly comments running another human being down it speaks volumns about your own character and makes you come across as bitter, small and totally classless.

March 7, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  149. some emo kid

Wow, the whole membership of the Losers Club seems to be here today. What kind of moron hates Phil Collins?

March 7, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  150. c+

Even though I am now a pastor. I was first a musician and songwriter! I thank God that he has blessed me with talent but also influences/mentors that have shaped my musical tastes that I still use in ministry. Phil Collins was one of them. His vocals and his skills as a musician (especially as a percussionist) has played a major impact in my life. Also, he was "out of the box" as a songwriter! He didn't want to make just another song. He wanted to make songs that changes lives in many different ways. I pray that God would heal him physically and emotionally! For I know what he said but only a musician really knows a musicians heart. He WILL miss making music!

March 7, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  151. Gabriel

Phil, says he doesnt belong in today's music... Lets be real, now days the biggest artists often sing about pointless subjects; back in the 80's artists mostly sang about subjects with more substance. Phil's lyrics boasted substance, depth, and provided tickling of various emotions (which is what good music should do). His mention of not belonging in todays music is correct, its because he's a music genius. Today music industry is drowning, it's because the ability to massly move data has masked and hidden some of the best music out there.

March 7, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  152. noworkallplay

That's why there are different kinds of music. Everyone has their own opinion and you know what they say about opinions. I love Phil Collins and I've been missing him for a long time. I think his track record speaks for itself. I wonder if Lady Gaga songs will be played on the radio 30 years from now?

March 7, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • mailboxmailbox123

sadly, her songs probably WILL be played 30 years from now.

Here's hoping that people in 2040 won't have to look back at Lady Gaga as an example of "how good music used be"...

You'll be missed, Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • jdn678

Lady Gagme in 30 years? G-d, I certainly hope not. The Gabriel-era Genesis LP nobody's mentioned is "Selling England By The Pound", one of the greatest prog rock albums in history, and it featured Collins on backing vocals as well as lead vocals on one song. I would have killed to have seen Brand X back in their pre-recording days, with both Collins and Bill Bruford on percussion. Read Bruford's book for some excellent commentary re Collins and his incredible talent, as well as his difficulty handling the level of success he achieved. Yes, he went commercial, but did so with taste and virtuosity. Sad that he's retiring from drumming due to illness. Best wishes, Phil. (Bill mentions in his book that prior to Genesis' huge success (and prior to Bruford joining Genesis), Phil actually worked briefly for Bill as a drum tech. Bill jokingly wrote that if that singing thing doesn't work out, Phil could easily have a career as a drum tech.) I read that Tony Banks was, by all accounts, very difficult to work with, and that he was the main reason that Gabriel, Hackett, and eventually Collins left Genesis. I heard one song by the post-Collins Genesis ("Congo") and it totally blew chunks.

March 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Kay

How sad to feel that you are not going to be missed. You have played a big part in my music appreciation. You are not the same as the new artists... you are BETTER.. I wish you good health, peace and wonderful memories.

March 7, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  154. Wes

Didn't he already "retire" like 10 years ago? WHAT music has he put out? A couple of Disney soundtracks? I grew up with Genesis, but he's right the watered down wimpy version we know now won't be missed.

March 7, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  155. forkE

I heard that Phil is going to go into professional wrestling, and is currently being trained by ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER

March 7, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  156. CaptainHO

Phil was great! In fact I would say Awesome! Most today's musics is filled with bunch of crap! Talentless singers with their fans on drugs! Bunch of idiots making comments about a true musician with class! It's always those who have no clue about music that come here and slam a true musician! Go listen to your crap and refrain from making comments on a legend!

March 7, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  157. Benrick

Phil Collins is a genius and a legend. Few can dispute how accomplished his catalogue is, considering both his solo music and his music with Genesis. I cannot imagine my own music listening history without "In the Air Tonight," "One More Night," "Inside Out," "In Too Deep," "Land of Confusion," "Man on the Corner," and many, many, many more. He is more influential and innovative than most people are aware of or like to admit. But be assured, his voice and his drums will echo into eternity. Mr. Collins, you are loved and regarded by this lifelong fan (who is 31, by the way) and many others as one of the best artists to ever grace the music scene. Don't underestimate the magnitude of your accomplishments, because we certainly don't.

March 7, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Here, here. An amazing body of work from an incredible artist. Not just a singer, not just a performer like most of the cookie cutter pop 'stars' out today. I've seen a number of the greats that damaged themselves (hearing loss and deafness, nerve damage, and in some cases permanent damage from drug and alcohol use) and it's a shame the ones that did (Pete Townsend comes to mind too).

I own Phil's complete body of work, I have and will continue to listen to it at my leisure. I respect the man for raising his sons and getting away from the race. I'm sure that even though he knows he can't fit into the ridiculousness that is the music industry today, it's still a bit sad for someone that was at the top.

March 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Benrick eats his own doo doo

what a list of crappy songs. just proves even more what a hack this collins guy is.

March 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  158. I don't care anymore..........

Now that was one of my favorite songs Phil Colllins wrote. It really doesn't matter if someone likes or dislikes his music. He sold 150 million albums. That's really all you have to say. And, I also say, thank you Phil for what you did produce. I absolutely loved your drumming ability.... Is there better out there, maybe, but who cares. I liked it and that's all that matters to me.

March 7, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  159. Mon

Undeniably one of the greatest singers of all time. You will surely be missed Phil and we will continue to listen to your great tracks!!

March 7, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  160. steeve-o

Phil Collins will surely be missed. I wonder if he realized he didn't have to wail on those electric drums so hard to get a noise out of them.
    Lewy Stupy, if you listen to the garbage in the music industry today, Phil Collins is by NO means comparable to cookie cutter pop. No freaking way, no how. These talentless fools playing today couldn't write their own songs to save their lives. Compared to the music of this century, the 80's were FULL of extremely talented (albeit fashion confused) musicians. These guys had to make whole albums that were palatable, as well as music videos. These days you can rip off a Madonna melody from the 80's and people think you're a genius. In the 80's nobody was emulating anybody.

March 7, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  161. Nitalynn

So long Phil. Maybe you can come back for a final final concert on PBS if it still exists in 20 years. The thing that amazes me about the comments is that there is nothing about politics and all about Phil whether they love him or hate him. I think that says something anyway.

March 7, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  162. Vinnie C

a sad day. Phil had more drumming talent in his left pinky than Neil Peart will ever have. Listen to "Cinema Show".. yeah, he DID get a little schlocky later in his career, but ya can't play prog rock forever. I was really pulling for a reunion tour with Gabriel, and it was close to happening, but it looks like we can give that dream up. Dag.

March 7, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • gelbkreuz

More talent than Neil Peart? I don't think Phil would agree with you.

March 7, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Geoff H

no disrespect to Phil, I love the man and his/Genesis music, but really?!?!?!? I think you're a little off on that one.

March 7, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Your moniker suggests that you know *something* about drumming but I see and have only the highest respect for Phil *and* Neil. They were both epic drummers in their own way, Phil more organic and free-form, Neil pushing the envelope on multiple fronts and getting even better after studying with Freddie Gruber. I saw Rush play live this summer and I can tell you that Neil is in phenomenal form and remains one of the best out there, even now. Accusing him of somehow lacking talent, well, that takes some doing.

March 7, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

More talent than Peart, and to the extreme you suggest? Hardly.
      But then I, most likely like you, are biased in our opinions.
      Genesis was certainly an influential band and their music remains as such for many artists, both Gabriel and Collins eras. And while I found Collins a decent singer for the most part, I think he had more talent when it came to writing, and probably more so, his drumming. With that said tho, he does not ecclipse Peart in his drumming ability.
      What I find a shame is his admitting he likely will never play the drums again. I hope his recovery allows him to at least play for himself or that he finds another creative outlet that he enjoys. An artist feels a need to create and it's a shame when their chosen medium is no longer available to them.

March 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • lsh3011

Although i disagree with "more drumming talent in his left pinky than Neil Peart will ever have", I do agree that Phil was an amazing drummer, particularly through the end of the 70's. After that he concentrated much more on his writing and singing which was a big loss for the drumming world. Neil Peart has gone on record many times stating that Phil was a big influence on his playing, and in his prime drumming years he was phenomonal. As far as comparisons with Peart though? Totally different styles and approaches...apples and oranges, but both great talents.

March 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  163. chad

JC why.... is it really necessary. Isn't there enough hate in the world.

March 7, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  164. Rael

Though Phil was not my favrite lead vocalist and he brought the Progressive Genesis style to a bit of a halt, I still have A Trick of the Tail in my car CD, all the time. One of the best Albums (yes-albums) of all time.

March 7, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • steeve-0

Yeah, remember when musicians had to make entire albums? Now they make one song and sell only mp3s because half the music on their album is absolute garbage. They steal the root note and BPM from a pop tune and write another tune exactly like it, then make ten variations on that song and call it an album. It should be as illegal as piracy.

March 7, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Simon Wagstaff III

Genesis was over; he brought them back with ABBACAB and made them all successful again, even if it was as his backup band. Their success gave them the freedom to play with other musicians and projects, and this opened up opportunities for unknown musicians to be heard, and so on. You haters need to realize stars are money generators; if he plays a show and people come to town to see him, they go out to eat, buy gas, maybe get a room.

March 7, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  165. Fraff

Shame on many of you who have commented. I'm embarrassed for those, who likely have no talent, attempt to rip up a man who has had a VERY successful career in music and has influenced millions. Regardless if Phil's music fits your taste or not, there is no need for such hurtful comments. Very ugly people indeed.

March 7, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  166. DMA

He is a classic and has some great music. Yes some will miss him but he is right the music business is not the same today and he way out classes todays music. It does not deserve him.

March 7, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  167. Koon Skin Cap

Phil was my friend but his music, drumming style and lyrics were just above 14 year old pinings over lost lunch money. Good Riddance to ya Phil. You wont be missed.

March 7, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  168. CHAD

I don't know why so many of you have to leave the negative comments. His music actually has meaning. Do the research on the song in the air tonight. All of you would have a different aproach to the way you think of the great Phil Collins/ Genesis. Phil enjoy your time with your kids. Thank you for the 40+ years of music....

March 7, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • PA

Phil is my fav. It hurts me to read all the negative comments. It also hurts that the criticism of his music affects Phil so much that he decides to quit. What about the love of people who just like his music. Those people should really matter to him. He should retire due to health problems and not moan about it. I think that Phil is indulging in too much self pity at this time. He is suffering from depression and needs to be treated for that. In many of his songs too, he has admitted of mistakes made in life. Too much self analysis in the end leads to this state of mind. The people who mostly blame others actually live more happy. I wish that the people who are taking care of Phil look into his state of mind. He also talked of wanting to commit suicide in one of his interviews. I am not an expert on this. Just experiences in life made me think in this direction.

March 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Jiggered

One more night, Phil. Give us just one more night!

March 7, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  170. Meh

Phil, folks will miss you more than you apparently realize. Your time in Genesis alone is a tribute to what music should always be. It is true that the music world tragically changed for the worse. When you joined Genesis you brought some serious percussion playing and gave the music what it needed. Even the commercial Genesis music still has better qualities than all this trash today. Your solo material wasnt what I would have hoped for but the body of work says everything. The music elders of the 70's will never be forgotten...least of all by me.
    Lamb Lies Down on Broadway forever!!
    PS. See if you can get Tony Banks to lighten up. I know he's grumpy because 7 people bought his solo albums but he always seems to hate the Genesis history like it was some of the worst music he performed but if it werent for those early albums, there wasnt much chance he'd be recognized at all.
    As far as what I consider "the real Genesis", Steve, Mike, Peter, Tony, and Phil, you are some of my music heroes and should never feel like time has forgotten you.

March 7, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  171. Jeanette

I've always liked Phil. And yes, most modern music is garbage. (And I'm only 30!)

Good luck with whatever you choose to do sir!

March 7, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  172. Guidotkp

C'mon people, Collin's Genesis and Gabriel Genesis were two different kind of music, the evolution from one to the other was great for the band and even better for the fans. As for Phil's carreer solo, if you don't like is style or melodies just don't listen to him, selling a ton of copies over a 40 year career, with Genesis and by himslef, should be enough to put him somewhere as a someone to be respected and remember. I for one will miss seing him perform. Tks for the memories Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  173. Bob

When was the last time Phil Collins wrote anything... and NOW he's "retiring"?! How do you retire from doing nothing? lol

March 7, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Meh

Apparently you have no clue about his session works with other musicians

March 7, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • @ Bob

Doing nothing is a lot more than what you're doing right now.

March 7, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Thanks Meh and @ Bob for educating me on the painfully obscure, and for also taking a joke about someone else personally.

March 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Valerie

That what's it's all about anyway Phil. And no worries about "not fitting in" the music industry today. It's all crap anymore anyway with exception to a FEW true artists......

March 7, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Keyboard Cowboy

When you see "artists" like Lady Gaga... do you really WANT to fit in with their likes?

March 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Malcolm

Does anyone know if he plans to reopen the Dirty Burger? I'm hungry.

March 7, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  176. Pink Slip

Genesis died at the exit of one Peter Gabriel. All collins did was reduce Genesis to a doo doo filled pop band. For all his musicianship he sure as a sell-OUT!

March 7, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Hexdragon

Naa, they hung on until Invisible Touch. We Can't Dance only had one or two songs that we could listen to...

March 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  177. flfx

Wow...what horrible responses to a true artist. Most of you idiots don't even know Phil's influence in the under currents of progressive rock in the 70's. The guy was one of the best drummers...period. Listen to the early albums of Brand X...brilliant musician. You may not have liked his music and the direction of Genesis but the guy was amazing. You guys slamming him apparently have no clue of musicianship. I love Peter Gabriel and if you respect PG so much, try finding out what he says about Phil.

March 7, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Over The Garden Wall

In a most recent interview, the reporter asked Gabriel what he thought of Collins being the more commercially successful artist of the two. Gabriel replied some artists write to stir the soul, while others write to stir the pockets.
      It is fine Collins had some tunes to remember and hum once and a while. He, by his own admission was very annoying.

March 7, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • tknapp

Glad you mentioned Brand X, some of his best drumming on record!

March 7, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • soup849

OTGW, that comment makes no sense since Peter Gabriel went commercial in the 80's as well and its where he made most of his money as an artist. Big Time, In your Eyes and Sledge Hammer? Stirring the pockets.

March 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  178. mystic7

He had the kind of voice that was great for 2 songs or so on an album, alternating with Peter Gabriel, but to listen to an entire album of Phil Collins singing is like if George was the only vocalist in the Beatles. I never liked Phil Collins' voice but others here have already laid on the hate so no sense in piling on. Good job, the rest of you.

March 7, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  179. Victor

I prefer Genesis's Gabriel era as well, but claiming Phil wasn't talented is beyond ignorant and goes into the realm of idolatry. Phil is (like it or not) a very good singer and drummer. Try listening to Seconds Out again, it's an amazing record.

March 7, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Floyd

Seconds Out is one of the best live albums ever. Gabriel Genesis and Collins Genesis are very different and both very good, but Seconds Out is a good crossover. Can't argue with the success. During Gabriel's days with the band, Phil was an exceptional and very under-rated drummer. Maybe a couple annoying pop songs later on, but so did the Stones....Harlem Shuffle etc.
      Phil wrote and performed some great stuff. Listen to the drumming in the old stuff. Classic for sure.

March 7, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • maddog

SECONDS OUT is great!! Phil is quite the entertainer, yes, but Genesis took quite the turn when he took over the creative (Steve Hackett ran the creative immediately after Peter left, 2 LP's later Phil was running the creative effort)

March 7, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Prog Rock Dinosaur

I agree with maddog. "Seconds Out" was a great live album, and I would not take anything away from Phil's voice or drumming. His performance chops, however, were BORING, bordering on clownish. With Gabriel, a Genesis concert was an event; with Phil, it was a good show with great lighting and a great drum duo with Chester Thompson. Genesis consciously decided to make a lot of money rather than a lot of great music. Rush did the same thing, and so did Yes during the Trevor Rabin era. When Collins left in 1996, the band auditioned a bunch of singers (including, ahem, me), and opted for a darker sound, more like Gabriel. They picked the wrong singer and wrote some pretty bad songs (Tony Banks was never a great composer) and the album went nowhere.

March 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  180. hautecottage

I would like him to formally apologize for Su Su Sudio. Then retire.

March 7, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • hh

Ha- I agree. He's had some great songs and has been a bigger influence on these newbies than they know but yes- I hate that song too.

March 7, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • soup849

The funny thing is that he has apologized, so you can rest easy now.!

March 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • PA

What is so terribly wrong with the song? It makes the feet tap, it was a hit, scores of people like it. If you dont like it, it is your choice. We are all not meant to be alike.

March 7, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • chi-town

Sorry, I loved the song too. The instruments, the beat, lots of fun.

March 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Dog

"Su Su Sudio" was a complete embarrassment. Besides apologizing, has he ever explained how it happened? What it means?

Was he about to sneeze? What he high on cocaine? Is it Swahili for where is the toilet?

Elton John has his "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," so I suppose even the greats are due some outrageous, humiliating performances.

March 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

It's a stutter because he's nervous about talking to the girl. It's not a terribly difficult song to understand, and you only make yourself sound like a moron. God forbid you ever listen to any music that has any really profound lyrics, like Pink Floyd or Dylan. You'd really be lost.
      It's a silly song, but the instrumental arrangement, especially the horns, are excellent. And just the fact that it's talked about 25 years later means something.

March 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • cag

Hey I loved that song!

March 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Crystal

It's a sad day for Disney

March 7, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • will

I doubt that it is a sad day for Disney, yeah, he will be missed by the fans, but Disney is a great company with or without great musicians, such as Phil Collins. It was collaboration of Disney associates and other contracted names and businesses that brought Walt Disney fame and fortune.

March 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • As IF!

As if Disney doesn't have Elton John's number and isn't following behind him begging for him to do another film as I type this.

Not to drag the guy down, but if all he's done in the past 20 years is Disney, considering his previous output that's retirement already.

As long as I don't hear "Sussudio" on the radio I'm good.

March 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Lewy

Wow, what horrible comments. Empathy is truly lacking in this world. He was a great artist for his time and contributed greatly. He had his own unique sound which seperated him from the rest of the "cookie-cutter" pop artists that the business tries to pump out and flood us with today still. He is a multi-talented artist who's age has caught up with him as it will with all the other musicians and folk in general. Give credit where credit is due. I say thank you Phil for your music and hope you recover and enjoy your retirement with your family as best as you can.

March 7, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • gonna miss him

WOW! Such sad news! He will be truly missed by me and my entire family. We have traveled far and wide to see him in concert at several venues throughout the U.S.
      Good luck Phil and thanks for the great memories and reminders of memories when I hear your music!

March 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  183. phil rules

best thing about genesis! pete gabriel left and the band wrote catchy memorable songs after!!
    great voice and cool guy. take care phil!!!

March 7, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • maddog

Oh, Puh-leeze, you obviously never saw Peter Gabriel with Genesis, Genius! Genesis turned into a "Pop" band after Peter left, (actually a couple of LP's later after Steve Hackett left & Phil took over the creative of Genesis.

March 7, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Prog Rock Dinosaur

You are completely wrong about Collins! In fact, the members of Genesis themselves intended to have Collins temporarily fill in for Gabriel until they found a more suitable replacement. "Wind and Wuthering" and "A Trick of the Tail," the first two albums post-Gabriel and prior to their total sellout to commerciality, were OK, but couldn't hold a candle to "Nursery Cryme," "Foxtrot," or "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway." In concert, Genesis were nothing more than an elaborate light show created to cover up for the fact that Collins was a BORING performer. The theatricality, costumes, makeup, and lighting during the Gabriel era enhanced an already-powerful show, one that gained from Collins behind the drum kit rather than up front. One only has to have seen Peter Gabriel in concert after he left Genesis to know that he was the creative force behind that band.

March 7, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Rose Zinck

Someone should let Phil Collins know he is going to be terribly missed and yes people will notice. His sons have endured and are still popular today. I just watched the Hangoer movie yesterday and his song (in the air tonight) was in it and it is well known! Hopefully we will still be able to hear his voice one day.

March 7, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

Hey, Rose, I agree. Disney is going to miss him most. I think his songs in the soundtracks in movies like Tarzan make the movie. Can't imagine what they would have been like without Mr. Collins. Some people just have no taste at all, though. Like POOT down below.

March 7, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • ravensun

Personally, Collins may stop performing, but hell, Beethoven didn't let a little thing like hearing problems stop him. He can still compose!!! And I hope he does, even if he can't perform it personally.

March 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merclyess

My dearest Phil,

Not that you will ever see this, but songs like "Both Sides of the Story" (not even sure that's what it's truly called) are the reason you will be terribly missed in this industry! Not only is the music itself inspiring, but the poetry you write is deeply moving and thought provoking. Thank you for your deep contribution. I will always listen to you and hear you, my friend.

March 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madelyn

Oh my gosh!
      Phil Collins is a music icon. He's going to be GREATLY missed. Who cares about award shows in the industry except the wack people. Award shows, nominations and all that crap deosn't meausre to TRUE talent! Music nowadays get's more corny every day. I'm not sure when the last time I heard someone that has Phil Collins qualities or talent....His music will never retire....it'll always resonate the airways....forever! To bad we won't say that about any new artist...any!~

March 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff VanAusdall

Who?

March 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

He will be missed. He is very talented. Alot of older musicians have the same problems he has. It's part of the business. Hell, Ozzy has these problems plus more and yes he is still trying to perform, only because his manager/wife wont let him quit. We'll miss you Phil

March 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff S

I think he meant more that the "music industry" isn't going to miss him, and he's probably right. He's not sending the pre-determined message, recording the artificial, soulless songs they want. The fans – I think he's well aware – will miss him. Personally, I don't go to big concerts often, and I've never been to a Phil Collins concert, but I have probably ever song he's ever recorded. and, so long as electricity exists, I'll never miss his music because it'll never be taken away. Thanks for the great tunes, Phil, enjoy your retirement life outside of the industry.

March 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  185. tiny tony

that is a inappropriate comment on your part. the man cannot use his hands and you can only talk about how shtty he is. i know the smell of real sht and you smell like it, ashle.

March 7, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  186. JC-VA

Right.. and I assume you are Lady Gaga's # 1 fan.... that explains everything...

March 7, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  187. Valerie

....and yours will be having to listen to your own stupid opinions played over and over and over and over and over and over and over.................

March 7, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  188. God

And right when you go for him, I'll sucker punch you in the back of your head. You've been warned.

March 7, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  189. @ CollinsItQuits

Don't lie to yourself. You made three different aliases and posted three comments in the span of three minutes. For all the effort you took to write comments and lame jokes about someone you do not like, you probably could've been listening to a song by one of your favorite artists... Master P perhaps?

March 7, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  190. soup849

Your comment is cookie cutter. The sooner you shut up the better.

March 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Lewy Stupy

@Soup849...shut up you little girl. U like phil collins...LMAO!! You are stupid.

March 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  192. soup

Isn't Lewy a girls name? It really sounds stupy.

You have to admit, that's a good one....

Also, admit it, you like Phil Collins.

March 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  193. PoodleSweat

Your Mom stands up to pee.

March 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  194. JAX

The last I ready this artcile and comments is about Phill Collins. Keep it PG people and grow up. We don't want to read your trashy bantering.

March 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |