Kids take Lil' Wayne to task for rap lyrics
March 3rd, 2011

Kids take Lil' Wayne to task for rap lyrics

Out of the mouths of babes.

A group of 9- and 10-year-old girls have released a song they're calling an open letter to rapper Lil' Wayne, denouncing his lyrics as being misogynistic.

The group, Watoto From The Nile, take the rapper to task for "calling women out of their name" and offer lyrics aimed at producing more positive music.

"'Letter to Lil Wayne' is a direct statement of justice from Watoto From The Nile," says a statement on the YouTube channel for solvivaz101, which hosts videos by the group. "Growing tired and fed up with the constant degradation of Black women inside of Hip Hop music, they voice their views and opinions on this melodic track."

One of the lyrics, for example, asks, "Don't you think it's kind of mean, to disrespect a royal queen?"

The song also addresses Wayne's references to drugs in his music. The girls rap over the Lil Wayne song "I'm Single."

Click here to watch the video.

1. вечерние ночные выпуски дом 2

I don't even know how I stopped up here, however I thought this publish was great. I don't recognise who you are however definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

October 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. treatment for backpain

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this publish and if I could I wish to recommend you some interesting issues or tips. Maybe you could write next articles regarding this article. I wish to read more things about it!

June 1, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. KingGriffey

This is an unbelievable story and I am amazed at the courage shown by these group of girls. It takes a lot of guts to call out one of the best rappers in the game, and I think that the girls may be on to something here. It's hard to deny that Weezy's lyrics are degrading to woman, though I've never heard such a genuine response to his material as these songs. I appreciate the tone of the message, too, as the girls don't take a vengeful approach but rather one of honestly and respectful criticism. I think the rap industry could be improved if some of these lyrics are taken to heart by both Lil Wayne and the rest of the game.

March 27, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lil Wayne suk

Lil Wayne NGGER SH!T.

March 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nadine

I personally like Lil Wayne, I don't to much care for his lyrics but as a person he is a nice and kind person. You all must realize that the whole game is about "Money". This guy is making millions of dollars for these kind of songs and he is not going to stop because some kids complains about his lyrics, he is writing and selling what sells. And that is the bottom line of it all, it does not mean that he is acutally that kind of person and I don't believe he is. The man is making money 'cause that's what the people want and he is giving it to them, right or wrong.

March 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Avon Barksdale

@ prettysoul, youre not black. Every white person starts their comments with "im black" when their behind a computer. Go listen to Huey Lewis and The News! Its nice 2 know that we have so much power over white people by rhyming words! BOO! Lol! Did I scare you? Lol! White people are funny!

March 7, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. prettysoul

I am a black woman and I AM offended by some of the lyrics and most of the messages put out in today's music industry. I do not agree with the viewpoint "why are lil girls listening to this". This music is MARKETED to young people, maybe not 9 year olds... But def 14 and up. This is not mature adult music. And the music gives an overwhelmingly negative impression of black men and women to the world. And please with the 'they're offended cuz it's black men'. That's such a weak mentality. If anything black men should be giving a higher quality version of themselves to our community and to the world. I know so many strong upwardly mobile black people and it's a shame that the likes of Weezy has become our main representative. Kudos to Watoto!

March 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Music Is Alive..we can't be Missing In Action..

Jewels of knowledge for artist who refuse to dumb it down..

"The Power of Positive Musical Influence and it's capability to Uplift or Destroy (Impact Negatively)"

'The human heart can be crafted just like the strand (on a violin) when you got the right kind of heart and the right kind of message and that message is coming through a pure heart 'that's music' And that kind of music of knowledge clears away ignorance the worst enemy of humanity. Once you impart knowledge to people out of a heart filled with love and compassion then you lift people from where they are'

Read more here: http://miacampaign.wordpress.com/

March 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rico

@ Disappointed, if u look at some comments made earlier u will see people saying the things similar 2 what I said. CNN's website appeals to mainly a white audience. It brings Comfort 2 white people to know that they are not the only ones who dont like rap music. If u go 2 any black website with this same article everybody says the same thing. DONT LISTEN 2 THE MUSIC! The sad thing is that about 75 % of white people r listening 2 rap @ this very moment! Lol!

March 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Navi

Main point »You contradict yourself a lot«
      Also would like to add, »Not one person mentioned their race in the above comments so your rant is compleatly asinine. I personally know other black folks who don't care for rap/hip-hop music.

March 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Superhiro

But it makes no sense. These kids are basically saying, make your music more kid friendly when his music shouldn't have been heard by them in the first place. It'd be like a 10 year old asking Quentin Tarantino to direct an episode of Spongebob because you love Tarantino but hate violence.

March 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Disappointed

@Rico – 1. Not one person on here has said anything even close to what you're complaining about. 2. Are the girls on the video white? 3. You don't have to like or hate rap to appreciate what the girls are singing about – they aren't saying "Hey Lil Wayne stop being a rap artist." They're saying stop degrading women with your lyrics.

March 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rico

WHITE PEOPLE STOP BUYING/ LISTENING TO THE MUSIC IF YOU DONT LIKE IT!! I dont like country music but I wont come here and make comments about how bad country music is. The majority of comments here are from older white people (30 and up) and they hate the fact that no matter what they do or say Lil Wayne KANYE WEST, JAY Z, etc have more influence on their kids than Elvis or The Beatles. Sorry for ya. heres the solution to the ignorant people who didnt hear me the 1st time. Stop buying the music!! Heck go to congress and make it illegal! But dont blame rappers for every problem in the world. If it wasnt rap you would be whining about whatever NEW MUSIC THAT YOUNG BLACK PEOPLE MAKE that your kid's would love and of course copy. White People all Hate Kanye West but they all have at least ONE of his cd's or songs off of Itunes. Hypocrites!

March 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Superhiro

While it's true that sometimes you can't prevent a child from listening to something not appropriate like Lil Wayne, it's still not on the artist to change their product. It's STILL on the parents to control what their kids do. It's just like an R rated movie. Should we take all the blood and gore out of the movie Saw just because some kid might see it? Absolutely not. If your kid ends up seeing it, it's still your fault.

March 3, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bernadette dodson

What a lot of you are saying, is thatBlack people are limited to slang, cursing, and talking a lot of s__t, 'cause they can't really sing(rap)? Come on people, you can like rap music, but don't act like it is worth a Nobel Prize! It's just a fad like rock'n'roll was. One day some other music will take over and where will these lyrics have taken these artists? Hopefully some of them a smart enough to get the proper schooling. Otherwise, they'll surely get screwed out of their money. Just like Hammer.

March 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Disappointed

I think having the discussion about rap/hip hop and its appeal and controversy is a good thing. I think telling 9 and 10 year old girls to shut up is unnecessary and a little sad.

I also doubt that the problem is that people are jealous that rock music doesn't have the same mass appeal that it used to. I think the problem is that a lot of music that isn't necessarily appropriate for children is packaged for mainstream media. While yes, I think it's the job of the parent to give children other options of positive music, I think some of it is unavoidable.

I appreciate these girls writing and singing about what they believe in. It's their right – it's their freedom of speech and expression, and good for them for not being afraid.

March 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Superhiro

Here's the problem with this. Wayne's music is not marketed to 9 and 10 year olds. It has explicit lyrics and is clearly marked as such. It can also be said that Wayne is rapping about what he knows, so... yea, he could write about other things, but then his music wouldn't be as genuine. So I dunno, I think the solution here is to make sure your kids listen to something more age appropriate instead of trying to make an artist change their style.

March 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • AM2

Exactly right about the letting kids listen to age appropriate music comment. The only problem with that is the lack of age appropriate music for kids in that 5-12 year old age range. Music goes from Sesame Street and Barney type stuff, straight to Rihanna and Lil Wayne. There is no in between for kids these girls age, which is why I'm taking up the task of changing that. Check out http://www.am2kidsmusic.com to hear the type of kids music that can actually compete with the stuff on the radio that these kids are so accustomed to. Kids POP will be the next BIG THING. Mark those words. It's already starting, just check out the reviews on the site and blogs, etc. Google it.

March 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hurani

What everyone has to realize is that when you cut on the radio, this is all you here. The group is making music for children to be able to listen to. The radio is not the same as it use to be. Almost everything is not child appropiate. I've heard other songs from the group. They are providing children with something that the radio is not.

March 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Avon Barksdale

These kids need to shut up. Rap music is always under fire because it is the #1 musical format in the world and even worse it was created by Black Men. Rock groups say crazy stuff all the time but knowone cares because rock doesnt make the music that it once did. It's obvious that these little girls have some people behind them that set up this video. The most important thing is that even if Lil Wayne said ok im not gonna use bad lyrics it wont stop anything. There are thousands of rappers and millions of consumers worldwide. This is about MONEY. If the WHITE PEOPLE who buy yhe majority of rap music stop buying the music that they claim to hate then there would be no Lil Wayne, Kanye West, etc.

March 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big E

@ Avon Barksdale, you are 100 % correct. Think of some of the Greatest Rock Groups of all time and listen to their lyrics. Nirvana, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, The Rolling Stones even The Beatles! They all had lyrics that spoke about drugs. Anybody remember Lucy In The Sky With Diamond's from The Beatles? The Big difference is that These are young Black men rapping about different subjects that make a lot of people uncomfortable, especially white people. But as Avon said the easiest way to eliminate these evil little rappers is to STOP LISTENING/BUYING THEIR MUSIC!! This includes any race black white etc that continue to whine about rap music. I dont like Mcdonald's but you wont see me putting a video on youtube about how Mcdonald's is horrible and that knowbody else should eat up. 6 BILLION PEOPLE LIVE ON THIS EARTH AND MORE THAN HALF OF THIM LISTEN TO RAP/HIP-HOP. That's the real danger to the powers that be. Hip-Hop is just too powerful and a lot of people are jealous that rock doesnt appeal to the masses like it used to.

March 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Steven Seagal

His response rap goes:
    "Sing all you want
    I won't ever get it
    Cause when you grow up
    I'm gonna pour Chrystal
    On everyone of your t1ts."

March 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Denizen Kate

Nice video. May this be the beginning of a positive trend. I wonder how L'il Wayne will respond to these three little girls?

March 3, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. C.J.

Sadly, you're far from the only trailer park trash with internet access. Lucky you.

March 3, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  21. ANITA

You adults are sad. These young ladies are only expressing the truth and their feelings. Why would an adult attack little girls? Someone need to speak out for them loud and clear.

March 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |