Diane Lane cast as Superman's mother
March 3rd, 2011

Diane Lane cast as Superman's mother

Henry Cavill's Superman now has a mom: Diane Lane has been cast in the role of Martha Kent for director Zack Snyder's new take on Supes, according to a press release.

Lane will play the Kryptonian's adopted mother, who finds Superman as a baby in a rocketship, which crash lands in Smallville. Snyder said in a statement, “This was a very important piece of casting for me because Martha Kent is the woman whose values helped shape the man we know as Superman. We are thrilled to have Diane in the role because she can convey the wisdom and the wonder of a woman whose son has powers beyond her imagination.”

The role of her husband, Jonathan, has yet to be cast, but there's a lot of buzz around Kevin Costner for that role.

As for the villain, the Hollywood Reporter says that Viggo Mortensen is being eyed to play General Zod, best known as the leader of a trio of Kryptonian fugitives in "Superman II."

Then there's the iconic role of Lois Lane: according to Variety, Alice Eve ("She's Out of My League"), Diane Kruger ("Unknown") and Rosamund Pike ("Pride & Prejudice") are all vying to take on the part of Clark Kent's co-worker/Superman's love interest. (Fun fact, two of the three are English, like Cavill, and Kruger is German.)

What do you think of Lane as Martha Kent, and the other actors being considered for the movie (currently set to hit theaters late next year)?

1. jason brees

This is such a nice sharing. Interesting article to read. Thanks.

October 28, 2011 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kevin

So "Smallville" has been on t.v for 10 years..and instead of just moving it to the big screen, Hollywood in it's infinite wisdom is giving it a total do-over.

I don't see why they should. When Star Trek:TNG finished after 7 seasons, it went on to make another 4 feature films before the series was rebooted with Star Trek (2009). The way the smallville t.v series is going plot wise, it could easily pick up into a feature film, and still leave lots of room for new viewers to pick up on it.

Boo to the superman movie :(

March 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. D

I don't know, she still looks kinda young to be superman's mom

March 5, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Victor

For some reason Superman has had a really difficult time at the movies ever since Superman 2.

I hope this new one can pull the franchise out of the gutter, otherwise we may not see another one for another decade.

March 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ron31

It doesn't matter who plays "Superman" because no one can out perform Christopher Reeves as the iconic superhero. Diane Lane is a great choice and although Teri Hacther did a great job I think Scarlett Johannson will be a great Lois Lane.

March 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gene

I guess I'm the only one who liked "Superman Returns". I liked the story line of Lois Lane's son actually exibiting some of his real father's strength (This little kid throws a grand piano at one ot he bad guy-obiviously the bad guy didn't get back up). I thought that was an intriguing twist. And I LOVED KEVIN SPACEY AS LUX LUTHOR!!!! What a great villan! Diane Lane will be great as Martha Kent.

March 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. big AL

Diane lane would have better chemistry with George Clooney than Kevin Coster. At least Clooney still has is hair. Lol!

March 4, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. Deepu jose

They should stop doing remakes of old movies and come up with something new.

March 4, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. rene luterbach

With the production crew on this movie, it will be hard to screw this movie up. Zach Snyder is an amazing director and Goyer is an amazing writer! Whatever cast they decide
    to use I trust they know what their doing!

March 4, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. lynn

I think Kevin Costner will be great! Diane Lane will be too.

Richard Gere, well he can make chemistry with all the ladies but I think Kevin Costner is perfect for the role. Viggo will also be an evil Zod, I can't wait to see the remake. I fell totally in love with Christopher Reeve and those nice blue eyes when I was 7, so for my time he will always be the man of steel. I hope he rests in peace.

March 4, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. Devara

It's never good to get cast as someone's mom. I guess next up for her is a series of Depends commercials.

March 4, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. bryanName*

Don't you people in charge of this movie dare give lohan a part in this movie

March 4, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Devara

Oh, I don't know. Lohan could be really good in this. They could cast her as Jailbird Girl, whose evil super power is getting out of rehab. And she has a magic ankle bracelet.

March 4, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. T

I agree with B-ri, Luthor and Zod's been done and there's a whole lineup of villains to work with, so, to the writers of the new Cavill Superman movie, come up with some of those villains that test Superman's mettle.
    Darksied or Brainiac are MORE of a true powerful villain worthy of Superman and also put in something about the mysterious Project: Cadmus and the classic hero The Guardian (as a teaser bit for the next Cavill sequel).

March 4, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. cape wedgie

all this noise just because the last movie failed so miserably...

keep cavill as superman, dustin diamond as clark kent

March 4, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. SmithCreek

how fitting, since she also played Superman's (George Reeves') girlfriend in Hollywoodland...

March 4, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bob Saget

Bad choice, just look at her son Freddy Kruger and the way he turned out

March 4, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  17. orpheus

They have to take the time to cast the right actors. thats why the last movie sucked the actors were horrible. I don't understand how they can a good spidey a good batman but can't make a good superman.

March 4, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  18. superbhoy

as far as i know this is going to be a trilogy, so i think it would be good to have zod in the first offering which then gives us braniac doomsday metallo or any of the other villains mentioned above for the next 2 movies. as long as theres no sign of mark pillow reprising his role as nuclear man we'll be fine ha ha.

March 4, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  19. Aret

The old school Supermans... Classic but cheesey, Superman Returns was a complete disaster. HORRIBLE and should be stricken from the history of movies. If they do make another... NO Kevin Costner! If they did a Lex Luthor/Doomsday combo and left the ending open, that would be awsome. Have DD come in at the 1hr mark, have an all out brawl between big blue and DD towards the end. Superman goes down things go blurry, DD comes up. ROLL CREDITS.

March 4, 2011 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. sue keller

I wrote the comment that begins Diane Lane is one
    of my favorite actresses...on 03/04 at 2:57 a.m. They signed it bill. My name is Sue. Let's get it right people!
    Just wanted to set that straight. Thanks!

March 4, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  21. arch

Who plays the big S? It doesn't matter about the step-dad. He dies early on. I don't know if Costner will like dying off early. He is the type that would try and figure out how he could make his step-son second fiddle behind him! Lane will be fine. He still looks pretty hot and who knows maybe she will meet up with a new dude and have some fun. Kruger would be nice for Lois. She should be able to keep Supe up and about. His problems being around her would be his tights. They show everything! He might not be able to fly straight till his rudder comes down. When is this coming out?

March 4, 2011 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  22. sue keller

Diane Lane is one of my favorite actresses. She is so beautiful and talented. Her last few movies have been good – saw 'em all- but they have not really been the stuff someone of her status deserves. I don't think this sounds like it will be any different. I think we are in serious need of movie material our best actresses are so deserving of!

March 4, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  23. Centrist

I felt the last Superman movie was missing something, so I watched the older ones and figured it out. With the exception of the last one (vs the solar powered villain lol) all the villains have real opportunity to harm superman. Lex has brains, the 3 criminals from krypton had superman's powers and richard pryor had genius with charisma. With today's special effects anything beneath a start to finish action movie will fail in my opinion. Zod vs Superman battles have the ability to be amazing. I'd like to see Bizarro superman too. I'd also like them to not make superman a deadbeat dad in this one. Lol

March 4, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  24. Mr Green

I hope they throw in some gratuitous female nudity by way of Supermans X ray vision in this one. I think that would greatly enhance our understanding of Superman's admiration of the human condiditon.

March 4, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  25. realityhurts

Lol @ the tweens who want the smallville cast. It'd a bunch of no names and nobodies on a tv channel no one watches.

March 3, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pinktights

How about Richard Gere as Diane Lane's husband? They have proven great chemistry together three times before.

March 3, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. joe1976

kevin costner would be great!

March 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  28. b harley

Why not bring the super friends 2 the big screen with apache chief wonder twins and black lighting

March 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Chris

I am so tired of the superman movies, it is either Lex or Zod. There are so many other cool villains like Darkseid or Doomsday.

March 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • morph147

i serously agree with you on this. the problem is its a reboot so lex or zod is the obvious choice, especially lex since that is usually the first villian superman has. if they do lex in this one or zod i am really hoping they do branic in then next one.

March 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Superhero

I'm also not cool about zod coming back. My vote for main villain would be brainiac. Basically just film the first 3 episodes of the animated series in live action and end with superman fighting brainiac

March 3, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Kim

Michael Rosenbaum was a perfect Lex Luther. I cant imagine anyone else playing the part. I, too, think Diane Lane is too young for Martha Kent. The cast of Smallville was perfect. I for one would love to see Tom Welling as the Man of Steel in the movie version.

March 3, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • morph147

depends on Diane Lane. heres the thing. chances are their wont be much of old martha kent running around in the movie. just a young martha kent when they first find Kal-El. so therefore her age is quite appropiate for this.

March 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ron

Back in the 40's and 50's when I was reading Superman in the comic books, the Kents were quite older
    looking than Ms. Lane. As a matter of fact they looked old enough to be Clarks grandparents.
    I do think Ms. Lane could play the part just fine. They could grey her hair up some.

March 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. John

Totally agree with those who said, cast the cast of "SMALLVILLE"...you won't go wrong. They would be more believable than anything that you dig up. Kevin Costner would wreck the movie. You need a unidentifiable couple for Superman's adopted parents.

March 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Travis

I like viggo as zod and the alice eve from "shes out of my league" as lois lane. i dont want superman to be played as older they casted someone younger to do this as a young superman which is good timing since Smallville is wrapping up this year. it wont be the origin story that batman begins was as they dont really need to change how he came to earth nor could they. however, they can change how he becomes superman through flashbacks, for those of you who read earth one superman hes written a little darker but becomes happier when he makes the decision to be the man of steel.

March 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. John

No way....She too young and beautiful....http://usedbooks4cash.blogspot.com/

March 3, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Brad

YES get the cast of SMALLVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!
    after 10 years, their chemisty, acting, and portrayal of the characters.. can make this movie a REAL BLOCKBUSTER unlike superman returns, but it was as if he NEVER actually "showed up"...

March 3, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. joey2009girl

These actors/actresses are too young, if any resemblance to the original story is to be maintained.

March 3, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  38. susanbellnc

Diane Lane – YES!! Kevin Costner – OH HELL NO!!!

March 3, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  39. jack

If the words "truth justice and the American way" are not featured in this movie, then I'll sit this one out, too.

March 3, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Someone who don't care

Who cares, they will make millions n u all are wasting ur time reading this story ;)

March 3, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Justamom

Did I miss who's playing Superman?

March 3, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Fred L. Fraud

Joan Rivers as the evil temptress

March 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Man of Steel

This script is supposed to be set for when superman is in his mid-40s. The previous movies he was way younger. And no this is not a reboot. Just another story in a comic book.

March 3, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  44. mark

Is the creative well really that dry that we need another Superman movie? “This was a very important piece of casting for me because Martha Kent is the woman whose values helped shape the man we know as Superman." I thought it was the writers of the comic book who did that?

March 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Supergirl

Get the cast of Smallville!!!

March 3, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Maria Longnecker

Sandra Bullock would make a great Lois Lane!!!

March 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Gerry Cartmell

Alice Kriege would be perfect as Lois Lane

March 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Super fan

Alice Krige, while a great actress, is about 56 years old. Did you mean she should play Martha Kent? Cause that would work.

March 3, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. TD40

1. So is this going to be yet *another* telling-of-the-origin? How many movies do we need that explain how Superman came to Earth?

2. Alice, Rosamund, Diane, whoever- *Anybody* but Kate Bosworth. Worst... Lois Lane... ever!

March 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donovan

I can't stand origin movies. I don't care how it started, just give me a good story. I hate waiting until 3/4 in before we see the first fight.

March 4, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  49. B-ri

Why are they remaking the Superman movies from the 70's and 80's when there is a lot more elements and characters to introduce to the franchise? What about characters like Brainiac, Ultra Humanite, Parasite, Project Cadmus, Darkseid, Bizarro, but Zod? I'll even take Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor again cause no one out does Lex Luthor. Come up with some fresh ideas instead of recycling old movies.

March 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • BC

Agreed. With such an array of villains, why are they resorting to the same ones?? RIDICULOUS.

March 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ender

Agreed.

As soon as I saw the villain was zod I rolled my eyes and figured I'd skip it.

March 4, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  50. Startover

Also, shes a great actor and will do it well!!

March 3, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Startover

Please make a good superman this time! Take a look at what Marvel does, get it up to that kind of level or don't do it please!

March 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Just don't look at: Daredevil, Blade 2 (and 3), both Fantastic Four movies, The Hulk (the Ang Lee one), Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, Elektra...

March 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Stevo

Just letting Henry Hanks know that Diane Kruger is Nicholas Cage's Love Interest in both of the National Treasure Movies. I just noticed the "Unknown" next to her name and thought I would help out.

March 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Superhiro

Kevin Costner? But don't movies auto-fail if he's cast in them? I think that's the law.

March 3, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I guess you missed "Dances with Wolves."

March 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scratchy

"No Way Out" was also pretty good, but two exceptions don't make a rule.

March 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coasting Weed

How Bout The Guardian that was Actually Successful

March 3, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

He also missed Field of Dreams, The Untouchables, and JFK.

March 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seth

And Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. That was quality.

March 3, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oc25

Costner has two bad movies, The Postman and WaterWorld. Both post-apoc. That doesn't bode well for a Superman movie, but does Krypton suffer the curse or not??

March 3, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louie Lobo

Actually, the new rule is: Any movie that doesn't have at least a cameo by Zach Galifianakis is an automatic fail, and probably won't even be greenlit. Also, Costner was the bomb in Bull Durham and Silverado!

March 4, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |