David Cook scores 'Idol' exit song
March 3rd, 2011

David Cook scores 'Idol' exit song

It will suck for the contestants, but rock for David Cook.

The Season 7 winner of "American Idol" has had one of his songs chosen as the exit theme for this year's departing contestants, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Cook's version of the Simple Mind's song "Don't You (Forget About Me)" will be played as the Season 10 contestants depart after elimination. The track was a 1985 hit for the group and made popular by the film "The Breakfast Club."

Past "Idol" exit songs used have included Daughtry's "Home," Carrie Underwood's "Home, Sweet Home," and Will Young's "Leave Right Now."

1. Music academy of the west

In the statues, wall structure art, and also papyri from the Egyptians, we're given one more peek to the obscurity regarding first musical technology background. On the list of historical ...buy silver coins

January 31, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. ninam

Simon Fuller chose "Don't You(Forget about me)" for the exit song and David Cook hits it out of the park with great vocals. Can't stop listening to it.

March 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sydney

I just heard David Cooks version of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" I LOVED it! Cook never disappoints, but I wish he was singing something from his new album. When is it going to come out? I'm waiting I loved his last album especially "Bar-ba-sol" and "Permanent" The guy can sing & he's totally hot!!!

March 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jason

Cook's new cover (of the song chosen by Simon Fuller) works for me. He's got a new album coming out soon with plenty of original material on it. I like the more upbeat exit song – this is the beginning for you, not the end of life as you know it.
    So far, Idol this season is exceeding expectations on all fronts. Sure, they still faulter with the melodrama occasionally, but the cast and the judges are a breath of fresh air – some real talent this year. Adding Cook is win-win.

March 5, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. sarah

meh. His management, 19E and Simon Fuller try to promote their client. Too bad. Just a cover song and so far except Home by Daughtry, none of boots songs were extraordinary.

March 5, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pokerman

Actually, Cook's cover of "Don't You Forget about Me" by Simple Minds is pretty rad.

March 5, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Laura

Well Carrie and Ruben both performed covers when they had the boot song, so what's the big deal? Well, I'm excited to hear Cook's version of this song every week and can't wait for the release of his first single of the new album!

March 4, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cheeri

Any time we get to hear David Cook sing, we all win :)
    I love the original of this song, and I love David's version.

March 3, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. La

If any one can make that iconic song fresh it is David Cook. I have yet to hear his version but I bet it rocks.

March 3, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sydney

I'm really excited about David Cook singing this song. I just love his voice and in my opinion he is the best male Idol to come out of American Idol. They chose him because they really wanted to bring out the big guns this season. Great pick...oh and I just ordered the cover song and preordered his new album coming out. Yay I'm excited.

March 3, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. arnold ziffle

AI needs to change it's name to "Losers on Parade".

March 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Salley

No one said a word about Carrie singing a cover for the boot song (Home Sweet Home). Why is it such a big deal for Cook to do one? Idol is known for singing covers.

To all the h8ters that don't like Cook. Tough. Don't watch if you don't like it.

March 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MadCityBabe

A1 stopped being interesting after Season 1...........now it's so full of cliches, fakeness beyond belief.

March 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Be Quiet

I can't stand David Cook. So far this is the only negative of the season for me...and it's not really that big of a negative, just some exit music.

Go Naima! I really hope you made it, girl. Either way, Milwaukee is proud of you!

March 3, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ann

Meh, don't like it. I don't like him either. I preferred the songs that were originals not the covers.

March 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jess

Perfect song for the boot song ... familiar enough that people will instantly gravitate it ... but updated to make it red hot. The original material is on the album. Every song was written or co-written by David.

March 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SB

Oh lovely a cover song by me least favorite idol ever. Oh the joy of having to hear his grating voice every week.

March 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Angela

Actually it is a Simple Minds song....David Cook is just doing a cover of it. Great song (by Simple Minds) poor choice for AI....why not use an original song or at least the ORIGINAL version of this song.... and a shame that David Cook can't release original music.

March 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • SJ

Not entirely true. :) David has been releasing original music for a very long time. Unfortunately, the covers are related to how AI operates more than how the artists would prefer to.

March 3, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. leigh

"hey, hey, hey", this is a great boot song, I can't stop listening to it, david Cook covers are always awesome ! I preordered his new album and can't wait for the release. Hadn't planned on watching American Idol but to hear david sing every week, I'll watch it. I'm hearing the kids are pretty good this year

March 3, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. CB

Why couldn't someone come up with an ORIGINAL song for this? Yet another example of the nail in the coffin for American Idol. I really like David Cook but come on – if AI's trying to re-invent itself, then this was a poor choice of song for the exits of the contestants.

March 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |