Tina Fey knocks 'Two and a Half Men' in Alec Baldwin tribute
March 2nd, 2011

Tina Fey knocks 'Two and a Half Men' in Alec Baldwin tribute

Stars from Lorne Michaels to Michael Keaton came out to celebrate Alec Baldwin's Museum of the Moving Image honor on February 28, but no one's tribute was more touching than that of his "30 Rock" co-star Tina Fey.

"The part of Jack Donaghy was written for Alec Baldwin," Fey said at the event, according to Vulture.

She added that she auditioned everyone but Baldwin for the role because she didn't have the courage to approach him until more than a year had passed and he was hosting "Saturday Night Live."

"He was having fun with it that week and the sketches were not terrible, thankfully," said Fey, who was an "SNL" writer and performer. "And so Lorne and I said to each other, ‘Should we ask him? Maybe we should just ask him.’ And so I hid and Lorne asked him, and here we are five years and almost a hundred dollars later."

Fey described Baldwin as "a writer’s dream in that he speaks quickly and memorizes well, and other stuff I don’t really understand," and gave kudos to his performance as "30 Rock's" Donaghy. "I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that not since Archie Bunker has there been a television character that my parents agree with so often," she said.

Ultimately, Fey told Baldwin, "Our show would not have gotten on the air without you. It would not have remained on the air without you. I shudder to think what low-rent 'Two and a Half Men' show we would have without you. I guess we might have more money if we had that type of show."

1. arch

Is the witch a little jealous of 2 1/2 men! I think so. There is that old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all. Was there any reason to bring up the matter concerning 2 1/2 men. It just goes to show how low this little snot nose witch can go. She dreams about being as good as 2 1/2 men. There are some who think 30 rock is a great show. They have some good actors, but she is not one of them. She should stop and think about what she says about Sheen. Her boy Balwin is nothing to write home about. He has been in many very ugly situations. So, she she stop and think about the pot and kettle line! The writers with 30 rock must be taking some acid before writing. Their material isn't that funny. Maybe babysnot Fey is sitting and dropping with them. That why she thinks it is funny. It's pretty sick when you attack someone who is having trouble to try and get a laugh. She better hope she never runs into a problem. If she does the whole world will come down on her. A worthless piece of horse dung!

March 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mark

Why is everyone saying she is taking a shot at charlie sheen's recent antics? She's talking about how 2.5 men is not a well written show. It is just the drivel that requires no thought. It's the comedy equivalent to transformers. Hell, even Charlie Sheen has said so.

March 5, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. InternetSpy

This might be the most hypocritical moment in TV history!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UumsHBz0YU&w=640&h=390]

March 5, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. mbiggenson

30 Rock is a great show and Alec Baldwin is absolutely fantastic in everything he does. From GlenGary GlenRoss to The Cat in the Hat to 30 Rock to Canteen Boy, Baldwin is truly one of Hollywood's greatest actors as he can play serious, absurd, maniacal and sweet – unlike most of Hollywood's leading men. The fact that he's on a great TV show is just pure enjoyment for the rest of us, who can watch him nail his craft every week.

March 4, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. NIELSEN

What Tina Fey didn't say was that Alec Baldwins image was in the tank because of his child custody battle at the time and 30 Rock saved him. Alec should be grateful to her just as much as she was to him. He was a maniac and ranting on the phone, threatening Kim Basinger. Sound familiar??

March 3, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Felix

Two and A Half Men is like The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, pre-packaged humor for the masses which owes its success on a very very loud laugh track, i dare the producers to release show sans laugh track like 30 Rock. 2 1/2 might be a high rated show but 30 Rock charges more for advertising because its core audience falls under the higher intellect/higher income bracket, it's true, do your research.

March 3, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jam

I think tina fey is funny and a gilf (figure it out) but 30 rock just isnt very funny its like the kid who tries too hard to tell a joke you smile and hope he dont tell another one.

March 3, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. kimd

Agree with Tina Fey.Never could understand the appeal of Two And A Half Men.Bad jokes,not funny.Charlie Sheen basically playing himself.What a stretch.

March 3, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. DfromC

Charlie needs help; you can talk about the show sucking but if they pay the man 2 mil an episode that should speak for itself! If you don't like it don't watch it; like all the reality tv out there! I can't stand it so I change the channel or turn off tv & read something! In my opinion if people would quit star worshiping & take these people for what they are HUMAN & not a one of us are perfect & shouldn't judge on another; except in court of course; but maybe say a prayer that this man gets the help he needs!
    As he made 2 mil a week doing show & if not for his character & his talent the show probably wouldn't have made it a season. We all laugh & cry at different situations & because we don't agree does not make either of us right just human!

March 2, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. The Platypus

No offense but if viewer can't understand how witty and good 30 Rock is he's probably not smart enough. And he shouldn't be allowed to watch 30 Rock then.

March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Khosvlo

Sorry to break this to you but there are smart people out there who don't think 30 Rock is that funny. It definitely has its moments but is not "must see" television. 2 1/2 Men is definitely not what you would call witty but it also has its moments and can be pretty amusing.

March 2, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Victor

I gotta say. I've seen 2 1/2 Men and 30 Rock and I don't find either show funny.

Guess I'm stuck in the must see TV generation, when Thursday's on NBC were funny as hell.

Sitcoms today just don't work as well as those shows did.

March 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Irwin

Tina wishes she could write anything as truly funny as 2-1/2 Men, which REAL people watch, not just out-of-touch critics... I'm definitely not a Sheen fan – anymore, but his show is pure brilliance.

March 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheryl

If you're serious, then your sense of humour is as lame as the 2 1/2 men. If it weren't for the laugh track, no one would know when to laugh.

March 3, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. jackie

I watch the Two and a half men re-runs, however, no longer find the dialog funny, but base, on this year's shows. Writing, writing, writing. Not Charlie Sheen, who needs help and support until he is mentally and physically healthy again. Unfortunately a very good cast is also suffering, too.

March 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JC

It is not nice to make fun of people that are in the mental shape Sheen is in, but Tina does look way better in that butter commercial than she usualy does.

March 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I think the joke was more about Baldwin costing more than Charlie....but thats just my take.

March 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John

Two and a half men is base humor at its worst. That show is unwatchable. I've seen about 5 minutes of it on a few separate occasions and couldn't stand to watch 1 more second of it before changing the channel. Casey (see above post) really sums up my feelings pretty well. It's embarrassing that this show is popular at all, much less the most popular comedy on television.

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Casey

Anyone who is truly offended by Tina's dismissal of "Two and a Half Men" as a legitimate comedy show must be either unbearably stupid or one of the millions of ladies who's been boned by Sheen himself. That show is the poorest excuse for comedy I've ever witnessed and it is embarrassing that it is even considered in the same realm of entertainment as a show so brilliant as "30 Rock". Wake up, America, please! We HAVE to step our intellectual standards when it comes to entertainment, more specifically, comedy. The fact that "Men"'s viewership is significantly higher than "30 Rock"'s is a disgrace. Step it up, people. We're better than this.

March 2, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Amen!

March 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Irwin

You (and the ten other viewers of this pretentuious garbage) are right, and the rest of the world are fools?!! There are reasons the audience is dwindling for '30 croc'. It stinks!

March 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Karen

I think Tina's comment has been misinterpreted. I believe she's suggesting that '30 Rock' has been successful because Alec Baldwin agreed to be in it but that, without him, it would have been less of a hit and couldn't have reached the kind of success 'Two and A Half Men' has achieved – in other words, Alec made her show first-rate rather than the 'low rent' or 'second rate' show it might have been compared to 'Two's huge ratings and success.

Charlie needs someone to care enough about him, not his money or fame. He needs friends in the media who will refuse his interview requests. Funny how everyone has been there – and still is – when he was making them or giving them money – but have deserted him when he might truly be in real need.

He needs saving from himself.

March 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I think she's actually making a joke that Alec Baldwin is more expensive than Charlie Sheen. So much so, that 2&1/2 would be low rate in comparison.

March 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  18. addison

Has anyone ever watched Tina Fey do comedy??! She was being sarcastic about 2.5 men, people!!!

March 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Khosvlo

Really? What was she being sarcastic about, pray tell. In print it seems like she thinks 2 1/2 Men is low brow and typical of the crap that the unwashed masses enjoy.

March 2, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Black

@ Khosvlo : The unwashed masses? The fact that you would declare the viewers of the former number one comedy on television as such is, needless to say, low brow and typical of the crap that haters spew from the safety of their computer chairs. If you cannot form an appropriate and accurate opinion on the given topic, then momentarily forget how to type or pretend to remember you had something important to do.

I thoroughly enjoy both shows, they touch on different forms of comedy, intelectual and otherwise, and I hope that Charlie Sheen can find it in himself to turn his act around and be the man we all know he can be. I also wish the best to Alec Baldwin, an amazing, unique actor who really brings his role to life, seamlessly. Don't hate, appreciate. =D

March 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

That's pretty opinionated for someone who is so "high brow." I watch both shows. I have a J.D. I guess I am "low brow." I like both, but happen to prefer "Two and Half Men." It's just funnier to me. I also like a variety of over shows, films and activities. Not every activity I engage in is going to be Mensa level.

March 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sheryl

Charlie's show sucks and Tina was pointing that out for the people that actually watch that drival. I wish he would go away and let the real stars of CBS shine. Because of him, a bunch of actresses had to take pay cuts in order for him to get his $2 million per episode. I'm glad those actresses chose to leave their respective shows.

March 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mama2KOA

Before you go calling all of the people who watch "Two and a Half Men" low brow, check the location of your own eyebrows. It's "drivel", not drival.

March 8, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. PGO

Tina, is there any reason you felt the need to make yourself feel better by putting down another show – despite what Charlie Sheen is going through personally, there have been some funny and great moments on that show from all actors/actresses involved as well as script writers, etc. No reason to put down the show due to the antics of another star gone mad.

March 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheryl

Charlie has been acting like an idiot and she's a comedian and is going to call him out on it. Every comedian has done it.

March 2, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zank

The reason to knock 2 1/2 men is because it IS low brow and is watched by like minded people. God forbid she knocked Jersey Shore, then you would really be in a tizzy.

March 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MadCityBabe

you're only as good as your last shtick....move Sheen, move on

March 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jose

The police came and got his kids last night. Poor guy. When you read the odd things he said it almost sounds like he was just trying to be funny. joking. maybe if he didnt look so shaky and rough people would have taken it better.

March 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • SAM

Funny!? You think that he's trying to be funny?! The guy is seriously manic!

March 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

@Jose: Wow, someone who actually feels sorry for the guy as a human being. I thought I'd never see a comment like this. Seriosuly, I think he's trying to quit drugs/alcohol, but it's hard for him. People give him so omuch BS just because he's in the spotlight. It could happen to ANY of us.

March 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • jps

Maybe you haven't been keeping up. He isn't kidding, he has threatened to "embrace his violent side" and no it could NOT happen to anyone. He's seriously mentally ill. Yes, I feel sorry for him, just like I feel sorry for other crazy people but let's get him off the streets before he hurts someone besides himself.

March 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I feel sorry for him too. I find it odd that the other poster notes "he's mentally ill," and then goes on to slam him, as if mental illness is chosen. And, for the record, the show is great. It's funny. There are a lot ofpeople who dispute that, but it didn't get to be number #1 by accident– it's hard to argue with facts. Charlie isn't a great guy, but there is something wrong with him, and it appears to be mental illness. I hope he gets help. I wouldn't change places with him for all the money in the world.

March 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LBW

Two and a Half Men is not a low rent show, but Charlie Sheen is. I really hate it that he hit the bottom, but he needs to move on.

March 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |