Serena Williams treated for pulmonary embolism
March 2nd, 2011

Serena Williams treated for pulmonary embolism

Tennis star Serena Williams was seen making numerous trips to Los Angeles’ Cedars-Sinai Medical Center within the past week, according to People, and her rep confirmed to the magazine that the athlete has been battling a health scare.

On Monday, “Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment at Cedars for a hematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation," a rep for the 29-year-old told People in a statement.

"Last week, Serena suffered from a pulmonary embolism [a blood clot in the lungs] which was discovered upon her return to L.A.,” the rep added. “She had been in New York for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot."

According to People, doctors are continuing to monitor Williams closely “to avoid additional complications.”

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Images of the most beautifull jailbaits and youngest teens on the web.

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you really recognize what you're speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my website =). We may have a link trade contract between us

June 27, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. marty

SHE MUST BE CALLED THE TENNIS COURT NAOMI CAMPBELL. DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO CONTROL HERSELF WHEN IS LOSING A GAME, INSULTING EVERYBODY AROUND, NOT RESPECT FOR THE REFERI..... SHE MUST RETIRE AND TAKE SOME ANGER MANAGEMENT CLASSES....

September 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anita F.N. Drink

@ Merrill
    And lung cancer is often related to smoking BUT NOT ALWAYS! I know many many people who suffered from it, that never smoked a day in their lives! Get over yourself 'oh wise and omniscient one'.
    I previously suffered two almost three pulmonary embolisms in my life. The first at 22 yrs old (they found with ultrasound just BEFORE it entered my lungs) the second event at 24 yrs old in one of my lung and the third at 32 in one of my lungs. I never had or used anabolic steroids. #1 post-operative (leg injury) while on bed rest, #2 after severe smoke inhalation from a fire, # 3 after an illness w/bedrest.

There are MANY, MANYcauses of P.E.'s. They are often times suffered shortly after a long period of bed rest for physical injuries, particularly injuries and/or surgeries involving a lower extremity. One of THE MOST COMMON CAUSES 'Doctor Merrill' is: while on bedrest from an illness or injury (particularly to a lower extremity) ANYONE at ANY AGE can have them (blood clots) form in one or both of their legs, when the victim gets up and starts moving around again the blot clots are 'thrown' (jarred loose from the artery wall upon which they developed) and start traveling through the bloodstream, usually headed straight for the lungs. The risk increasing significantly if the individual is usually very active prior to this period and even more so if pain medication has to be administered during surgery and/or while on bedrest. They can and often do so, completely undetected, without symptoms, complaints from or discomfort to the victims, until they become lodged in one or both lungs! THAT is one of the MOST common causes for P.E.'s 'Doctor Merrill'. This especially holds true for people who are used to being extremely active otherwise, ergo: Atheletes. I believe the article above does indeed also mention that Ms. Williams IS most certainly still under medical care for and recovering from a FOOT injury!
    But thanks for your, oh so professional opinion oh wise and omniscient one.

March 12, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. rudolphkeith

Our prayers are with you from Boston that this does not turn serious. You are a legend to our community and we wish you well.

March 4, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. American hero

Serena,Venus, what is the big deal? the one that is sick is Serena and everybody understood, so stop the argument and let's all pray for her to get well!!!

March 3, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SHOOOOOO

I just farted. Shoooooo : )

March 3, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. lauren

Serena you are an amazing woman, adored and the role model of many young women. You are a fighter. You are strong. You are courageous. You are beautiful. You are light. You are powerful. You are blessed. You are loved. Peace, love, encouragement and strength be with you and yours. You will get through this. We (your friends, family and fans) are with you and pray for you. God bless.

March 3, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. mitch smarr

wow it takes a lot to say when your wrong GOD bless you and my prayers to you and the williams fam.

March 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. footdronline

Serena Williams Undergoes Treatment for a Pulmonary Embolism. Read more at http://footdronline.com/blog.html

March 2, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jade

wishing Serena a speedy full recovery

March 2, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kelly

i hope all goes well with her, And she is able to get back on the court

March 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. veronica

My prayers are with her and her family may she have a speedy recovery

March 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. veronica

My prayers are with her and her family may she have a speedy recover

March 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NateEngle

After the last couple of days it's great to see a story about a celebrity who we can send our unqualified well-wishes. Get well soon Serena.

March 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. liberateus

Gimme a break. Elite athletes of the world (and of more affluent countries) have access to the latest and greatest steroids, always one step ahead of the tests. They also use masking agents.

It could absolutely be birth control-except for the fact that both she and Venus are extraordinarily muscle bound for women.

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • liberateus

Sorry guys, I'm another closet racist. I take every opportunity I can to pinpoint articles like this and write delusional racially inspired comments to incite the masses. A black woman at the supermarket yelled at me one day for taking too long to get my receipt from the self serve line and ever since that day 3 years ago I have had a extreme hate for minorities in general. I even joined the republican and recently the tea party. Sorry for being ignorant guys.

March 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Edstud

I had a PE 8 years ago and there were 4 clots in my lungs and was hospitalized for 11 days and I take Coumadin everyday and have my blood checked once a month for my INR/PT level. I am one very luck person to be sitting here typing this. I went to the Hemotology dept at St. Vincents in NYC and had research done on me and I was found to be in the 10pct of the population that just form blood clots. Be well Serena

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Likewise EStud – very lucky to be alive as well – thank God for good doctors and medical science.

March 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kevin

Get well soon Ms. Williams. I'm 42 and had knee surgery last summer which caused five pulmonary emboli and resulted in a ten day hospital stay. It's an extremely painful and scary situation. I pray for you and your health – all my hopes.

March 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. niesy

Keep your head up little sis. This is your distant twin from MO. I am always told we look alike with the same athletic build. Prayers go up blessings come down. Get some rest so you can get back in the game. You are phenomenal!!!

March 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. shaen

What did they find? A 10$ rock?

March 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Anthony Heyward

You know what I hope Serena is okay. As for this country it can go to hell for all I care, with all the excuses to bring race into everything from some very sick people. I am not proud to be an american, its seems insanity and evil prevail too much here. Human beings...ha...who coined that term bevause there seems to be nothing humane about a lot of people.

March 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • peggy

Anthony,
      This is indeed shocking news. I understand that you feel frustrated but Anthony there are a lot of angry, ignorant and hopeless people out there.Perhaps they are ill or perhaps they were were not brought up well. Still, love your country and pray for it so that God may smile upon it. Take care.

March 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Cookla

Hang in there you will get through this you are a Champion wishing you a speedy recovery....

March 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Wanda

I wish her a speedy and thorough recovery.

Get Well Soon Beautiful Lady !

March 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. John

Probably found it at one of those TSA xray machines.

March 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ron

For sure it's one of the Williams girls.

March 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. simone

I HAD ONE 2 YEAR,S AGO.GET WELL AND GOD BLESS YOU

March 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. God cares

Folks, pulmonary embolism is a killer! This is serious business. I survived pulmonary embolism caused by the travelling of a blood clot that originated in my foot as well. They discovered I have a blood clotting disorder – under certain conditions my blood will clot when in the same condition the blood of folks without the disorder will not. I suggest everyone, ESPECIALLY WOMAN, be checked for blood clotting disorders, especially if you are taking birth control pills or using the patch or anything with female hormones. Save yourself ...

March 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

I test positive for lupus anticoagulant (which causes clots- go figure) and some other clotting disorder, however most doctors will NOT treat it until you have a clot. Beyond saying that I shouldn't use BC.

March 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. mfjohnson

Serena, May God Bless and heal your body. Keep Trusting God is able!

March 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. shawny

I don't know what's wrong with some of you people. this article is about a young lady with a medical condition. i know this scary for serena and her family, and your making comments about steriods, condoms, race, religion, and her situation with the judge, get a life. i hope you feel better serena, me and my family will keep you in our prayers.

March 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. bes

My thoughts are with her family. Very sad.

March 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. chloe's comments

Our hearts and prayers are with Serena and her family. God be with you.

March 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Simmy

It was very refreshing to read over the well wishes for Serena.

March 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Agree, I had to rub my eyes because these comments often get nasty. I generally don't read them anymore. Best wishes to Serena for a quick recovery.

March 2, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Ron

I suffered from PE back in 2009 and was hospitalized for 8 days and I was 26 years old. however I am overweight but I will pray for serena

March 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • fatisdisgusting

you're overweight but will still pray for her? aw, how very christian of you.

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Geez

I wonder if there were any small Asian women in the room shortly before hand... She almost had one last time that happened.

March 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  34. EMI

I had a PE 5 months ago and I can assure you it wasn't from steroid use but from the use of birth control pills, there are also several other serious medical conditions that can cause them so not nice to jump to conclusions...

March 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  35. HC3

I hope she is okay. I hope its not "roids"...

March 2, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  36. JA

@bbb: that is definitely not a picture of Venus, that is indeed Serena. I pray that everything will be OK, and she will be back on the courts soon. Women's tennis certainly lacks excitement without her!

March 2, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Shane

Unless they've changed the photo they got it right the first time. That's definitely Serena.

March 2, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Zeina

I pray she will be fine...

March 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  39. bbb

Too bad whoever posted the article got the picture wrong. That is Venus, not Serena...

March 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • NM817

Uh, we don't all look a like. The picture above is definitely Serena. The haircut in the picture is similar to what Venus has been wearing lately, but that's definitely Serena.

March 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • tennisstar

Wrong. That is Serena!

March 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Good

You're half right bbb, that is neither Serena nor Venus. It is obviously a picture of silent film star Charlie Chaplin. You would think CNN could get it straight!

March 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • divaism

That is Serena. I think she had a nose job though that has not been confirmed. Venus' nose is smaller and face thinner. They look more alike now

March 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. PGW

Praying for your speedy and complete healing. You are covered by the strong hands of God, so trust him and you will be OK

March 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Merrill

Pulmonary embolisms, especially at her age, are associated with Anabolic Steroid use

March 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • DS1982

Yeah well so do Oral Contraceptives, especially at her age... which is much more likely!

March 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2cents

Pulmonary emboli at her age are also associated with a wide variety of diseases and genetic mutations. Don't rush to judgement!

March 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Balbs

Yeah, my wife passed away from one at 29. No steroids involved.

March 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • SAM DACOSTA

So you are insinuating that she's a user of 'anabolic steroids' right? She plays a sport as a professional athlete, where random drug testing occurs and after her distinguished career you make such a statement. Many other factors can cause such a medical condition.

Please read this article and educate yourself before making allegations;

March 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

And also associated with surgery or imobilization of extremities which is FAR more likely given flying and foot issues.

March 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • gldneyz

You're a class A IDIOT!!! This young lady has endured a life threatening situation and you're accusing her of abusing steroids. Get a life and stop commenting on things you know nothing about. People like you sickens me. Well wishes for a speedy recovery for Serena.

March 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Not always true. I had one at age 28 and I DID NOT use steroids. I was just unlucky.

March 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • SirBroiler

I suffered one in my mid-thirties after a cross-country flight. There are endless causes and you have no idea what you're talking about.

March 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • locvegan

felt good to see all the warm wishes and heartfelt prayers for recovery and THEN you had to go and say some ignorant negative crap like that...smh...can't the woman just be ill? ughh!

March 2, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • your name

you are stupid!!!

March 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merrill

Sorry guys, my comment was a rush to judgement. It's hard being a closet racist, trying every opportunity I can to diminish the accomplishments of minorities. Commonly I make outbursts like this. Sorry again for being ignorant.

March 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. jorge washinsen

We wish her a speedy recovery.

March 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  43. tracey erwin

i pray ms.williams a speedly recovery god is in control he is a healer all is well bpositive god bless

March 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  44. RUTH VILLAGRAN

i am very sorry to hear on the news this am about ms.williams having this pulmanary embolisim,i deal with this everyday also.I PRAY FOR HER COMPLETE RECOVERY.FROM AMARILLO TEXAS WE WILL KEEP HER IN OUR PRAYERS.

March 2, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  45. Jose

That is a shame. I pray she will be ok. We are all thinking happy positive thoughts for her.

March 2, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • celebsarebetterthanjesus

i'm not, i have neutral thoughts. just like i'd expect from her were something to be wrong with me.

March 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. miscreantusa

GPS, you're a moron, and someone should shove a foot of your posterior, and Merrill, stop jumping to conclusions. Good for you that you know how to use google.

March 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Cateyes

YOU are an embolism GPS! And sorry bbb, the picture is of Serena.

March 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  48. cecilia

not funny – not intelligent – not a reasonable thing to say – aw just go away

March 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. peggy

IS YOU MOTHER PROUD OF YOU?

March 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |