Corey Feldman: The Oscars couldn't give Haim 30 seconds?
March 1st, 2011

Corey Feldman: The Oscars couldn't give Haim 30 seconds?

A furious Corey Feldman is finally speaking out about Corey Haim being omitted from the "In Memoriam" montage at the Oscars, saying the Academy folks "don't have a handle on who the public adores."

"Corey's films have earned the industry over a half a billion dollars and his work remains an inspiration to young artists worldwide," Feldman tells TMZ of Haim, who was 38 when he died of pneumonia and a heart condition in March 2010. "Corey dedicated his life to the film industry. The same industry that failed to dedicate even 30 seconds to his memory."

As Marquee previously reported, Feldman was also unhappy that Haim didn't make the cut at the SAG awards and told the Hollywood Reporter, "I have faith that the Academy will make a wiser choice."

The Academy, meanwhile, tells TMZ in a statement that you simply can't please everybody: "Whatever the length of the sequence, there will always be fans and family members of those not included who will be disappointed by their omission. The Academy extends its understanding and its apologies to those who missed seeing a favorite face in this year’s feature."

1. Jango Davis

Does anyone actually even watch the Oscars anymore? Hey everybody, come on let's watch! I can't wait to see who won best second unit associate grip for some foreign film no one gives a crap about!

March 30, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AndyAndroid

Award shows bore the hell out of me and are a waste of time imo. I've got better things to do than watch a bunch of spoiled actors cry about an award they just won.

March 30, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. M.Y.

Corey WHO ??????

March 28, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Not a sheep

Was Haim a member of the Academy? I'm betting he wasn't. Those people in the memorial that the general public doesn't recognize and adore–probably Academy members. It's the Academy Awards. Get it? Not a popularity contest for actors.

March 8, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ahh

What they ought to do is have a memorial show for actors each year. Show their greatest moments. There are many amazing actors who have since passed on that many people of the younger generations who never heard of. Ask a 15 year old if they know who John Candy is... Seriously though, I'm pretty sure they could honor all those who passed on in that year. Even if its just a bunch of names and pictures randomly appearing.

March 8, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jo

They didn't add Farrah last year.

March 8, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. anon

SHUTUP MOUTH!

March 7, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. CIH Fan

Those idiots “claim” they did not have the time to honor everyone. They sure made certain that they had the time to honor Leni Riefenstahl, a Nazi filmmaker in their memoriam, back in 2004. Damn shame!!! They are worse than I had thought : (

March 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jimmy Rigsby

This is outrageous. Not in the 80's party sense of the word, as Haim would have interpreted it.

March 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CIH Fan

We need to call the Oscars out on their blatant disrespect to Corey Haim! We can post our comments on their website (link & email address below). Even if it is just a few words, like “Shame on your Oscars for not including Corey Haim.” Can you imagine, if it gets out in the press that Corey Haim fans crashed the Oscars website, with their many emails?!! That would be so cool!!! It only takes a few seconds of your time. But it can do so much. We have the POWER to have our voices heard, and to make a difference. Those phonies need to know that they cannot get away with what they did. Corey’s family and loved ones deserve better.

contact@oscars.org

March 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeepers

This makes me very sad.

March 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CIH Fan

Why don’t we call the Oscars out on their blatant disrespect? We can post our comments here on their website (link below). It most likely won’t change anything, but after a stunt like that, they should hear what we have to say.

March 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. charles in charge

Why couldn't he get honored for iconic cineamatic masterpieces like License to Drive, Dream a little dream, Dream a little Dream 2 and Lost Boys. I am disgusted with the Hollywood award shows. The 2 Coreys was also the greatest reality show that will over time will be seen for there awe inspiring intellect that benefits all man kind.

March 2, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sawyers92

All I can say is R.I.P. Corey. And to Feldman, much respect for not letting anyone forget about your friend.

March 2, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. Colleen

I also agree with Corey Feldman. How does the Academy decide which person should be remembered for their contribution to the movie industry? Corey Haim was so significant for my generation and it saddens me that I recorded the award show to see what picture they would use of him. It must of been very disappointing to his mom. The Academy should "find" a way to honor everyone.

March 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jillmarie

I agree with Corey Feldman 100%. Before the montage I thought, they better show Corey Haim, and I was disgusted they didn't. His death was a tragedy- he was so talented but couldn't beat drugs. I agree with the other posters that they showed people, while I'm sure they were talented, are unknown to many.
    RIP, Corey Haim.

March 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mel

I have ALWAYS loved the two Coreys. Always. Since I was a kid. And Feldman made a very good point – Haim was iconic in his own way. For the post Rat Pack generation he was huge. It was disappointing not to see him honored ANYWHERE. I agree he had a messy life. But if we are willing to honor other actors and celebrities who have OD'd Haim should 100% be right up there. Honor the man for trying to change. Honor him for the legacy that he left behind – I will forever cherish the movie "Lucas" – it was one of my favorite films as a kid and still is till this day. I feel for Feldman – what does this say about him when he goes? I understand the industry turning their backs on the two Coreys – I don't like it at all – I miss them in films like crazy – but I get it. But again – Feldman is right – Haim made the industry millions of dollars! Represent you jerks!

March 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Deb

If there is such a small amount of time then maybe they could have left out a lot of the people that the average person wouldn't know or recognize!

March 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Be Quiet

30 seconds? It's more like 6 seconds. All it would have taken to pay tribute was a few brief moments from The Lost Boys with "Corey Haim, Actor" flashed on the screen. The Academy is full of it when they say there isn't enough time to honor everyone.

They could have honored Haim, Peter Graves, Rue McClanahan and Betty Garrett in about 25-30 seconds total. I'm not a fan of Corey Feldman, but he has every right to be frustrated.

March 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Angie

He has no lips.

March 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. RealisticExpectations

They also omitted Maury Chaykin, who made over 94 films and 60 television programs, as well, as Peter Graves, Betty Garrett, Barbara Billingsley and Kenneth Mars, amongst others.

Why is no one up in arms about those omissions?

March 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Superhiro

That was kinda messed up. Particularly since Corey Haim is less of a joke these days than the actual Academy Awards

March 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pliny

Corey Haim is dead?

March 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. sunless

better get to that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

March 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Victor

R.I.P. Corey Haim.

March 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. NJDomer

While I agree with most of the points Hector and other have made, the Lost Boys was far from crappy. In fact, it was a very good movie with an excellent cast.

March 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Hector Rules NJ

This is so laughable!!!! Really, it's astounding how this failed actor is suggesting that another failed actor should be mentioned. Putting aside all of the personal stuff, actors have to be recognized by the Academy for being good at their trade, BOTH of these guys are horrible actors and made crappy movies, save for the Goonies. Why would he be recognized if he never made the cut in the first place?
    It's sad to see anyone fall victim to any disorder but i think this Corey is doing his best to capitalize from the other Corey's death, I mean we haven't heard a thing about this guy until the other Corey died. C'mon people.

March 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • claudia

Haim wasn't in goonies. He was however in Lucas with none other than the dread charlie sheen. Hmmm. Something worth thinking about.

March 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jurby

the Academy folks "don't have a handle on who the public adores"? Corey Feldman: are you kidding me????? what warped kool-aid are YOU drinking???? Haim wasn't exactly in the public eye for a very long time (just as you haven't!), lost his A-List standing once the 80's ended (just like you did!), so i don't understand how you seem to believe that your buddy was still a big enough star to warrant being honored on every frikken award show memorial tribute known to man and then some.

March 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Josh

This goes beyond Haim. Rue Mcclanahan, Betty Garrett and Eddie Fisher were among others that were omitted. I think the Academy needs to cut down on the long winded speeches and boring stuff that drives viewers away in boredom, and spend a tad longer paying final respects to these people. In most cases, these actors and actresses spent most of their lives in the public eye entertaining the masses. The least that could be done is to give them a few seconds in a final send off. It may not mean much to the Academy, but to their family and fans it does mean something.

March 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • LoopsFroot

You've said it perfectly.

March 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katniss

I agree with you on cutting down the speeches, but, hypothetically speaking, if I were to win an Oscar, I don't know how I could go up there and thank everyone in the short amount of time they give you. I think they should cut down on the terrible "jokes" the writers write for the host in between awards

March 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Yep, totally. F*** you on this one, Academy.

March 4, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  30. bradd

Everybody should be standing up for charlie sheen especially the actors. Producer stick the knive in your back and he
    just pulled it out and stuck it in their back.

March 1, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • LoopsFroot

This is about Corey Haim and countless others who have been excluded.
      In response to your rant, Why should ANYONE stick up for Charlie Sheen? He (and others like him) has been given chance after chance and he continues to spiral downhill. I'm sorry but when Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan can do a complete flip around like Robert Downey Jr. and Drew Barrymore, than I will believe it.

March 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ficheye

You said that on the other page. What is up with the 'knife in the back' analogy? This guy went crazy on alcohol, went to the hospital, then started ranting and saying a bad things about the people who produce his show. If you did that where you worked you'd be fired. Get a grip.

March 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Raul

Come on they had agents in the memoriam, and I'm not sure why. They don't give anybody 30 seconds. They could have fit the 5 seconds they usually have two people share for Corey. Instead of playing the Randy Newman annual crap song.

March 1, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • 6 Degrees

I believe you're referring to Ronni Chasen, who was shot and killed thiis past year, unlike most of these actors, actresses, editors, cinematographers, etc. who passed away from natural causes or old age.

March 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sawyers92

Actually. there were more than a 1 or 2 agents and publicists.

March 2, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  32. *>i

March 1, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  33. LL

Haim already got his 30 seconds of fame and squandered it. A lot of other larger and more accomplished celebs than Haim weren't named either such as Peter Graves. Move on, Feldman...the 80s are over.

March 1, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  34. Allison

I agree there needs to be a better eye kept on the child stars of today. But Miley has not done anything wrong. People are angry with her because kids look up to her and she gets a few tattoos and smokes a legal drug, there's nothing wrong with either of those things.

March 1, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • big fudge, ski-ball champ

What about the photo of her pulling her eyelids while posing with Asian fans? Nothing wrong with a little racism? Granted, that probably has nothing to do with her child star status, and more to do with her white trash upbringing.

March 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jango Davis

Miley didn't do anything no other kid has done. And guess what? There's no law that says you can't pull your eyes back and imitate an asian, Jerry Lewis built a career on it.

And if the asians think Miley Cyrus is so dangerous a person that her pulling her eyes back threatens their "progress" at assimillation, then they probably have a lot more growth to do as human beings...and you as well...

March 30, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Phantom

Does the fact that he became an embarassing mess in later life void all his contributions as a child actor? Someone's gotta do something to save these child actors before stuff like this repeats again. Lilo? Miley? Didn't Charlie Sheen start out as part of the brat pack too?

March 1, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Phantom is disgusting

Your logic is so typically American Christian and very old age. So he made a few choices YOU PERSONALLY do not agree with and that erases everything else he had accomplished. I'm guessing you are perfect and have never done anything in your life that someone else hasn't agreed with?

March 1, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Phantom

I'm disgusting? You're just a coward hater who lashes out at people on the internet because you can't do so in REAL life. If you knew how to read, you would have realized I was asking the QUESTION of whether or not his actions in later life voided his previous accomplishments... Not saying that they DID.

March 1, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Jango Davis

Phantom – I agree with you.

Phantom is disgusting – I'm not an American Christian, but you can go fv<k yoruself.

March 30, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |