Russell Brand brings mum for red carpet walk
February 27th, 2011

Russell Brand brings mum for red carpet walk

Newlyweds Russell Brand and Katy Perry clearly have at least one thing in common: They're both big fans of bringing along family members to big red carpet events.

At the 53rd annual Grammy awards, Perry brought along her grandmother, and at Sunday's 83rd annual Academy Awards, Russell Brand strolled down the red carpet alongside his mother.

While you could say she was his date, Brand will quickly correct you: "We’re not dating…there are literally laws against that," he told CNN. Tonight, she's his "companion."

And if there's anyone who knows Brand's particular brand of humor, it's his mom. "I’m incredibly proud [of him]," she told CNN. And when it comes to his occasionally outlandish remarks, they don't surprise her. "To me, he’s playing a character," she said. Plus, "He’s funny."

Filed under: Awards Season • Oscars 2011

1. dgm

The first & last time Brand appeared in public with a woman he hasn't screwed.

September 26, 2013 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. iphone

I loved up to you will receive carried out proper here. The comic strip is attractive, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you want be handing over the following. in poor health unquestionably come more before again as precisely the same nearly a lot ceaselessly inside of case you defend this increase.

April 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sonya

I used to think that Russell Brand was attractive in a weird way. Now I'm not so sure. I've been trying to figure out what he did to himself to make himself look so weird. I thought maybe he's getting wrinkles or hasn't been in the sun lately. But, it appears in this photo that he has shaved his face clean and may have some pasty looking foundation on. Whatever it is, this is not a good look for Russell. Marriage may not be agreeing with him if his looks have changed so drastically in such a short amount of time. Grow the facial hair back Russell, get a tan and take some vitamins. Your starting to look a little sickly. I sincerely hope that is not the case. Russell's Mom looks great.

March 2, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. D

LMAO! that's so horrible...but so funny!

March 1, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bigdoglv

I wish his mum would have chosen abortion.

March 1, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Frank

Nice of them to not mention the mother's name in the story about her.

March 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ayala

Funny story about that. It seems that someone changed his mom's name on Wikipedia to "Juliet" instead of Barbara. All the news orgs ran with it! Now her name doesn't appear here on CNN. LOL! Great fact checking by our trusted news sources! LOL!

March 2, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Zakia103

If anyone WATCHED the Oprah show, Oprah stated that Katy flew in from Europe overnight just to be on the show as Katy is in Europe on tour. She performed with the kids from Brooklyn as a special surprise appearence for the kids.

March 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Valerie

OMG! All you clowns who happen to know Katy Perry's tour schedule are TOTAL LOSERS! LOL! Get a life people!!!!! LMAO!!!

March 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Terri

Yes, she's on tour. I think she opened in Portugal last week.

March 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Do you happen to know the last time she took a crap too? Good Lord!

March 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cbt

Isn't that Rocky Dennis?

March 1, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. dixick

Lovely mother – quite striking. He looks so proud of her.

March 1, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jay

If you are likely to get to go to the Oscars again at any point even just as an attendee (afaik he will) why not take one time to let your mom have a once in a lifetime experience of going? I think its super cool to do that. Don't try to read to much into it.

March 1, 2011 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. bonnie

He and Katy are having problems. Per a good friend of hers that was interviewed recently, she had asked for a recommendation for a good marriage counselor. It is in the news.

February 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • linda

Don't believe everything you read or watch. Katie was on tour in Europe on Oscar night. And...Oprah often has guests tape their interviews in advance of show date. Also, even if she did a show in Europe, it's easy enough to fly back to LA in time for an interview. That's why they call them 'red eye' flights.

February 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

It's a bullsh– story bonnie, most are

March 1, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. flappy and nappy

Seriously fools,
    this guy is funny and is already famous and successful in Europe and the UK. Keep hating, if he never appears in Film or TV again he will be 100 million times more successful than you. Plus, he looks sharp and is currently banging Katy Perry. Who here has been with a woman that hot, let alone married them? Nobody? Thought so. Bringing your mom to something cool like the Oscars is way classier than posing and modeling your way down the red carpet with someone who has done this type of thing 100 times and is already in every magazine etc.

February 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim and John

Well said!

March 1, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

oh, so because he's rich and famous I should want to be him, or be jealous of him? No. My idea of success has nothing to do with wealth, and I wouldn't trade places with him for anything. Thanks anyway.

March 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

Agreed. Still, I wish he would go back to his old-style, crazy hair. I'm not loving the parted-down-the-middle thing he's been doing the last year.

March 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BLOWBA

And I missed her on Oprah ? ? ? ? ?

February 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Al Nogee

Does anyone find it strange that him and his wife didn't bring each other?

February 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia

YES! I gave the marriage one year tops! Unless she is on tour, there really is no reason not to bring each other to these functions.... I bet they are having problems.

February 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diz

Mrs. Brand is on tour in Europe right now. Remember, if you cant say anything nice...

February 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

really? on tour in Europe? She was on Oprah today, live this morning from the Kodak theatre in LA after the Oscars.

February 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

MY god, how incredibly STUPID are you people!! LOL. They were both performing, both allowed to bring people. There are too many reasons to list. Not bring each other as dates? How many other actors have brought parents, or other siblings. Now slap yourselves real hard for being the incredible morons that you are.

February 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  17. kimmi

At least he didn't bring that troll he's married too...

February 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Come out from under the bridge and lets get a gander at what YOU look like Kimmi! That chick is STUNNING!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Katy Perry is very pretty and very talented. Crawl back under your rock and stay there.

March 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zachary

I would rather lick between kimmi's toes than to go near that TROLL. Stop coming to the defense of a talentless loser who's probably one of the biggest posers on Earth. You must be one of her ONLY christian rock fans. You fail.

March 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Zachary is Kimmi without her makeup on.

March 2, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Chumlee

Nice job Kimmee. Russell is funny as hell and his wife his hot. Why all the hate?

March 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. D-R

That's very sweet of him. :)

February 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. you guys are lames

losers

February 28, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jeff

He looks like the kid from "Mask".

February 28, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

LOL I have been trying to put my finger on what makes him look so strange for ages-and you nailed it. THanks.

February 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia

LOL!! That is so funny and true! I was looking at his face thinking what the hell did he do to it! ??? I bet he's had plastic surgery. He looks awful.

February 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blue Duck

Thank you...I have been thinking that since I first saw him years ago.

March 1, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

OMG, that's totally what I've been thinking! I knew he looked like someone in a bizarre kind of way, but you're right. He does look a lot like Rocky from Mask!

March 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

ahahahaha omg how have i and apparently everyone else here not made this connection?? He's as ugly to white people as jay-z is as ugly to black people.

March 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. D

ZZZZZZZZZZ

February 27, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. p

February 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. nigel perrott

Now if he had brougt Andrew Sachs of Fawlty Towers that would have been interesting!

February 27, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • just me

LOL!!!! Although I seriously doubt anyone reading this blog will get it, I appreciate that!

February 28, 2011 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
    • les

I know exactly what you are talking about. As Sybil Fawlty would say in hushed tones, "he's from Barcelona".

February 28, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |