Melissa Leo: I won an Oscar? Pinch me!
February 27th, 2011

Melissa Leo: I won an Oscar? Pinch me!

Take it from Melissa Leo - winning an Oscar isn't as easy as it looks.

As "The Fighter" star accepted the Academy Award for best supporting actress, she was in such shock she asked presenter Kirk Douglas to pinch her.

"I know there are a lot of people who said nice things to me for several months now, but I’m just shaking in my boots here," Leo told the audience, before issuing a stream of thank you's, among them to "Fighter" director David O. Russell; her co-stars Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Amy “my sweet sister” Adams.

Then Leo looked up and was flabbergasted by the number of people watching her. "Yeah I am kind of speechless," Leo said. "When I watched Kate [Winslet] two years ago, it looked so [expletive] easy!"

Leo told CNN backstage that she "really didn't mean to offend anyone" with her slip of the tongue and apologized to anyone who might have been, but it was clear by the time her "Fighter" co-star Christian Bale took the stage that it was going to be a reference point throughout the night.

"Bloody hell!" Bale began as he accepted the Oscar for best supporting actor. "What a room full of talented and inspirational people - what the hell am I doing here?”

But that was about as profane as Bale got. After thanking David O. Russell "for making the work that all of us actors did actually mean something," he gave a shout-out to Leo. "Melissa, I’m not going to drop the f-bomb like she did, I’ve done that plenty before," he joked, before moving on to also thank the real-life Dicky Eklund.

Bale was jovial throughout his acceptance speech, but when he started to thank his wife and his daughter, the actor did become a bit overwhelmed with emotion.

"And of course, my wonderful wife," he said, his voice cracking. "My wife is my mast through the storms of  life, and our little girl, who’s taught me so much."

Filed under: Awards Season • Oscars 2011

1. Lloyd Sode

Thanks Lauren for making it international!! <33333 I love my swag and this will fit in ‘feverishly' well!! *chuckle*

December 7, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. barbara

I'm sure she was just in shock. Also, people who tend to use the f word more than others, also tend to let it slip out more. I think she's a good actress and is long OVERDUE for being acknowledged.

March 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Drappelfed

ummmm GET OVER IT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO THE FU*K CARES!!

March 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lucie

It's obvious she was just kidding around. Why is this such a big deal again? 'BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!' I am thinking of the children, and I'm thinking that I have never witnessed a child implode because it heard the f word. It'll be okay, I promise. No one will die because Melissa Leo said what you say on an hourly basis.

March 2, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. delois gucinski

nice to see a older star Mr Kurt Douglas loved him in westerns also one of the best oscars tho did not care for the loud female narator It was not about YOU YOU and more YOU twit

March 2, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. MsMHS

While she certainly deserved the oscar, she showed us with her profanity that she only portrayed herself in the role.

March 2, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. Barnacle Bill

The "F word", "poo", anytime I see someone take a word and turn it into something bad by trying to hide it, I look back at the person. There is no bad language, only intolerant people. People who use terms like "F-Bomb" are intolerant, prudish children.

March 2, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. mike

I don't care if she's a good actor or not. How about YOU go in front of your peers that voted for you, hundreds of huge movie stars, hundreds of cameras, bright lights and a little microphone and YOU give a coherent speech. I'd love to see it. Clearly, she didn't think she was going to win and was totally blown away. Completely understandable. If you are really offended by what an actress says at her award acceptance speech, then you need to re-evaluate your life. Since when did everything get so lame?

"Think about the children!" ? I'm so sick of hearing that. Since when did children become so weak? As if they've never heard somebody curse or make a slip in judgment. Are you too lazy to explain to your child that it was a mistake on her behalf? How about you get your fat ass kids outside and stop watching television?

I'm also hearing that she planned it. I'm sure. I'm sure she planned for this ridiculous backfire that she got from it, too. You are all super sleuths. Does every actress have to be a role model? Are all rated R movies meant for little kids now?

March 2, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kyle

Who's Melissa Leo?

March 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. erich555

She planned it. Sounded so contrived.

March 1, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. WhatATosser

I've never heard of this actress before....who is she?

March 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob

Another great example of how a person can display their stupidity on national television and prove to the world how ignorant she is. She makes a lousy role model and should be ashamed of herself.

March 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rich

Further evidence of the dilution of decency in this time... and I'm not just talking in the U.S. Globally speaking, we could all take a few tips from the humble.

March 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marti

Totally planned for the shock effect. No such thing as bad publicity. What an amateur. Of course you can say that for the whole production. I'm from New York City as well, and we do curse – quite a lot in fact- but its usually while we are driving. All she did was reinforce that "celebrities" are your misfit drama and chorus classmates in 20 years. No consideration for the schoolchildren who were in the audience waiting to sing. The minute she said it, I thought what a jerk.

March 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ash

I, for, one wish she had not won. This snotty thing has a major role in "Treme", and she was interviewed and asked about what it was like to film in New Orleans and was she enjoying the city like the rest of the cast. She said 'It's just a job; I have no interest in New Orleans.' If that's how she feels about it, then she ought to leave! My state has enough drama as it is; it doesn't need her trashy butt!!! Wish Helena Bonham Carter would've won instead.

March 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Stevelb1

Apparently still in character.

March 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mark

Why does it seem like the only reason CNN and others are reporting on this is so they can use the term "drop the f-bomb" to describe it?

OK, we get it. You're "hip" CNN. You're the cool teacher that drives a Harley to school and plays bass in a Rush tribute band on weekends. How about some actual news now?

March 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. BevoTexas

I was talking to my 60 year old dad about this last night. He was offended, I wasn't. I think it might be a generation thing. I hear that word every day and it doesn't phase me one bit. I use it, too, but know when not to. If I was caught up in excitement and emotion, I might very well let it slip. Nothing intentional, though. And kudos to Christian Bale. He's such a phenomenal actor.

March 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Melody

A true example, you can dress them up, but you cannot take them out. Totally uncalled for!

March 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Overby

All I heard was...OINK OINK OINK....as in: If it walks like a pig, and it talks like a pig, it must be a.......

March 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cliff bond

I thought she was special–Wrong !! No class whatsoever...

March 1, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Doug

Totally scripted. She is a major league phony.

March 1, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  23. dtg

SO UN-LADY LIKE!

March 1, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  24. Kris

I saw "The Fighter".... Leo looks older than her age of 50. does anyone else agree? I honestly don't see what is so huge about winning an Oscar-that award doesnt mean as much as it used to, considering the people that have won them, i.e: Halle Berry, Julia Roberts, etc. Leo could have been a little more tactful on the stage (and humble) and instead she went on and on and then dropped the F bomb, which was unnecessary. Thumbs down!

March 1, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  25. Willie12345

She's low rent and nothing more.

March 1, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  26. plunk

Just another attention seeking idiot. No one will ever invite her to a live telecast again. I read somewhere that she's like 50. It's amazing that she's getting at roles at all at her age.

March 1, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  27. Dan

How did this even make the news?

March 1, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  28. olbabee

What's your point? It's just a word. People are so damn sensative to anything. Get over it & who cares anyway?

March 1, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  29. Chad Harkins

SHE HAD A POTTY MOUTH WHERE"S THE LAVA OR THE LIFEBOUY SOAP

March 1, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  30. Melissa LAMEo

Her fake reaction was so over the top.
    Total drama queen, indulging in the spot light because she knows it's her first and last chance.
    She won for SUPPORTING Actress, but compared to Natalie Portman's appropriately reserved speech for BEST ACTRESS, you would think Leo won for "Best Freaking Everything in the Freaking Universe."
    Melissa, get over yourself. Lack of class. Lack of professionalism. Obvious self-promotional BS.

March 1, 2011 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  31. Ian

you people are ridiculous.... it's a word.. a meaningless word that you give power to by acknowledging. The fact we DONT use it makes it all the more taboo... humans are fuc**ng stupid.

March 1, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  32. Hans Glaub

Ich glaube meine schprect!

March 1, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  33. kiki mo

There was a movie awards show on?

February 28, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Donna

I couln't watch, but it sounds like Melissa, Christian and Kirk Douglas provided the only fun in an otherwise predictable spectable with one host who actullly showed up for work. I'm delighted for Leo, a fine actor unaccountably fired from one of the best TV shows ever.

February 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Merlie

Glah!
    Wow – thanks Miss whoever-you-are-pottymouth. I don't feel so bad about MY hair now.

February 28, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  36. levend

who cares? proves she is human. The US has too much censorship, if they are over 12 years they have heard it before anyway.

February 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Troy

Hmmm.....is she someone?

February 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Tom

What's this F-Bomb garbage. She said phuck for crying out loud.

February 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Hypocrites

If this is the most shocking moment of the show, then no wonder the show was so lame. As if she were the first person on live tv to F bomb it. puhleeeez. All the whining is from people sitting in their Lazee boyz frustrated they ain't getting free swag.

February 28, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. abby

Oh puhleeaze. They're all so full of themselves, being 'artists', 'creating'. Creating what? More like just cranking out mostly mediocre footage for big money. I truly do not care about them, but love to criticize them!

February 28, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Denizen Kate

What a society of prudes we are. The fact that we even HAVE censors is proof of that. While I agree that the eff word sounds a bit ugly, there are times when it is the only word that really fits the situation. That may not be the case for Melissa Leo, but every body messes up now and then, right? So many commenters here sound so severe and unforgiving! Lighten up, people! It's a word, she apologized for using it, move on already. Enough with the name-calling.

February 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Slim Straight

Well you can dress up a pig in a silk hat, and what do you have? Correct!! a pig wearing a silk hat...take such a special moment and you #%%#% it up!!!

February 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kay

No, John, YOU are the one who needs to grow up!

February 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Kay

The "F" word is cool only for the ignorant and immature. People who can't talk without using it are useless.

February 28, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  45. autosupports

Such a shame; she ruined it for me. I listened to her interview on NPR Friday and was really looking forward to seeing her at the Oscars. But her acceptance speech was truly one of the most cringe-worthy moments of the evening. That..and her dress. Both completely tasteless and classless.

February 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  46. john

where the hell are you people from that cursing is such a big deal, grow up.

February 28, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Tom

anyone who saw True Grit knows who deserved the Oscar for supporting actress.

February 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  48. John

I had to keep telling myself that these people are professional actors? I was just just in disbelief at how poorly they represented themselves.

February 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Bud

Oh, who cares? The F-bomb was dropped many times in these movies. Grow up, people. Many of us use the F-word. Hey, anyone ever heard of freedom of speech?

February 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  50. brenda

That was just awful. Great show, other than that. These people are to be professionals!

February 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Dilley Sue

I find it highly suspect that a heavily touted nominee, such as Ms. Leo, didn't find time to prepare some appropriate remarks Either a professioinal actress completely forgot how to behave in front of an audience or the entire speech (with faux pas) was performed exactly as she prepared it. You decide which.

February 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Robert in Texas

Watching and listening to Melissa accept the Oscar she didn't deserve (Amy Adams should have gotten it), was sheer torture. I wanted to throw my table lamp into the television.

February 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  53. FloridaMom

Melissa Leo's acceptance use of the f-bomb at the Oscars was in appallingly bad taste. But her acceptance speech did show why she won for best supporting actress. The role she played in The Fighter is who she is in real life – white trash.

February 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • CaliforniaMom

I'm certain you will remember to be on your best behavior and not experience any sudden outbursts of joy or excitement...the next time you, personally, FloridaMom, win an oscar. Get a brain and please do not procreate any more. We don't need any more florida trash polluting the gulf.

February 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • FloridaMom

Hey CaliforniaMom, I think you totally missed the point I was trying to make. For heaven's sake, it was the OSCARS. No one should use that kind of language at the Academy Awards. Even though I'm not an Oscar winner I'm classy enough, and obviously smarter than you are, to know to watch my mouth if I were on such a show. Yes I do sometimes use that word as well, and usually not in times of joy that's for sure, but maybe when I hit my finger with a hammer. We all use that word at sometime. But we're talking about the context and timing of Ms. Leo's use of the word. Guess you missed that. Oh, and by the way, nothing from Florida polluted the gulf. It was BP's failed rig that polluted the gulf – not the people of Florida. There were quite a lot of folks in the panhandle area of our fine state which were financially devasted by this event. Guess you missed that too. I'm done with my child days but I can tell you one thing. If my daughter were on the Oscar's she'd behave in the manner befitting the event. She wouldn't talk trash. My child was taught manners.

March 1, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  54. Hahaha

Wow!! I went on here to see what people thought and 10 minutes later...I really enjoyed everyone nominated performances, Melissa included, but as time went on with award shows the more she got on my nerves. And the look of shock last night when they called her name was because she probably thought she lost it with her billboard.
    I am not offended by the F work, but at the same time, it is crazy these days. You can't watch anything anymore without bad language. Even so called family shows. My 8 yr old loves watching The Biggest Loser and Survivor with me and they drop the F Bomb all over the place and bleep it out. He knows!

February 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  55. whattheck-geez-jeez

grow up guys , if ditinoary can accept that word in 100 diffrent scnarios , what is the diffrence
    dont be midevil :) , go stay in iraq , guys complaining need something to complain abt and feel good abt thrmselves and act with all hyprocracy in theirs ivory , glass towers to turn on the double talk , it was n not even a small deal
    it was just expression as harmless as dialgoes in good will hunting swearing
    i mean you guys kill cows , kill chickens , eat them and then talk abt purity and sin-you americans sicken me , judge your posterior

February 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Perhaps, you should learn how to spell first before you post

February 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • jam

jay ,may be you can learn how to stop singing f-art songs with your posterior and start talking some sense.

February 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  56. pj

Her language was disgusting. Obviously her trailer trash behavior got her the role which fit in well with Lowell, MA

February 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  57. shackinmyhead

Really people? F-Bomb? Who cares? There are more important thing to worry about... oh wait BREAKING NEWS....they are entertainers!

February 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Mom of 4

Way to go Melissa. You get a once in a lifetime chance, and you ruin it with your potty mouth. I wonder if she has kids, and if she does, is this the kind of language she uses around them? You just don't drop an F bomb like that unless it's part of your daily vocabulary. What a shame. For the rest of her life, Leo will be known for her profanity instead of her acting. This should be a lesson to all people – there is NO NEED for profanity in your everyday vernacular!

February 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  59. WO

Well... this IS why we have censors, isn't it? This isn't a big deal. It's not like she bared her breast at the Super Bowl...

February 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. MKLMJ

Wonder what her children thought about her "slip of the tongue". Made her whole image look cheap....hold the celebrity slang for the after parties...............

February 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  61. No Lady

A "lady" would not have used such foul-mouthed trailer trash language on national and international television!

February 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Susan F

So someone drops the F-bomb at an awards show and she/he is automatically labeled as blue-collar white trash? Well, ef y'all, 'cuz not everyone is as rich, high-falootin', and snooty as you!!! I didn't watch the show, could've cared less about it. So what if Melissa Leo goofed up? Nobody's perfect, and it's nice to know that these actors and actresses are just as every-day as the rest of the real world.

February 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • David in Corpus

No joke girl. Who are all these prudes we grew up alongside here in America? Are they actually Americans or puritans from another time? It is a word people, a very good word too. You can use it as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, explicative, so many wonderful uses in just one word. But to each their own, or as my grandpappy used to say to people who were upset about something ' go fk urself' I miss you grandpa.

February 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  63. TPF

Hollywood TRASH at it's best, it must be the way she talks all the time. I don't care what any of the Hollywood trash have to say and I don't even movies or TV. It's all trash!

February 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  64. steve

Well said, Chris-lom......That whole awful act of acting SOOOOOOO surprised, for SOOOOOOO long.....trying to come across as an "innocent", grateful novice was ok for about 20 seconds.....Immediately after that , it became so torturous , I HAD TO change the channel, feeling truly embarrassed for her....
    Melissa Leo...what a pathetic joke.....

February 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Matt

Hollywood is so full of themselves. They need so much validation it is pathetic. I do not watch award shows. They are shallow and quite frankly, a huge waste of my time. This chick sounds like a real "winner"!

February 28, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Kevin

Christian Bale's comment about his daughter was, "she has taught me more than I could ever teach her." CNN should really hire reporters who watch the events they are writing on. At least hire editors.

February 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Don

The main reason the Oscars are on ABC and not, say, TNT: there are still a considerable number of people who don't get "national" cable channels, whether it is because they use digital antennas or they just can't afford what cable companies are asking for "standard digital" packages. This is also why, say, the Super Bowl will almost certainly never appear on ESPN, much less NFL Network.

February 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Not Welcome

Let's hope this woman never gets invited to speak at the Oscars again!!

February 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jennifer

Turns out she isn't such a good actress after all. She was just playing herself.

February 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  70. FCC Involvement

Had the network not censored her F-bomb, the FCC would have fined the network heavily, let's not forget!!

February 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Lin

No class trash.

February 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jinda

You don't usually hear the f-bomb coming from one of grandma's doilies.

February 28, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  73. chris-lom

Melissa Leo, she really needs to class up a little. Anyone with a half a brain who thinks they have a chance in standing on a stage in front of millions of people to receive a major award USUALLY prepares some sort of acceptance speach. That whole act was a joke, and to drop the F-word, c'mon grow up already! She took all of the good work she did in the movie up to winning the Acedemy award and in a flicker of an instant she made yourself look like gaudy trailer trash. Way to prepare for one of the biggest moments of your life. Can't wait to see her in her next right to dvd feature!!!

February 28, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • shakinmyhead

So an F-Bomb is bad considering I stopped counting how many were dropped in the movie she won the damn award for? People get over yourselves... who cares she used an explicative...

February 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Tom

Colin Firth did not say "...little girl, who’s taught me so much." He said "little girl, who's taught me more than I've taught her." As a journalist you should know that when you quote someone you need to be exact. Do a better job or find someone else to do it.

February 28, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  75. liza

That was another trashy uneducated person. Stop being a drama queen and think of what you are going to say before you open your gutter mouth.
    Getting an Oscar is the end of your career.

February 28, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Distasteful Woman

Agreed, Liza! Well said! This woman, because you can hardly call her a "lady", needs to go back and learn good manners before she opens her mouth again in public!

February 28, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  76. JoAnn

Did anyone notice that while James Franco quickly tried to move on after her speech, Anne Hathaway made that stupid comment that glorified it? She said it's the young and hip awards. What an idiot!

February 28, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  77. JoAnn

What kills me is that she acted like it just sllipped out but it was so obvious that it was intentional. I guess she needed more media attention. No class at all. And to have the legendary Kirk Douglas on stage with her whose generation of extraordinary actors would never think of using vulgarity in an acceptance speech, not to mention the 13 year-old girl right in front of her who was also nominated in the same category. She exemplified trailer trash for sure!

February 28, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  78. Marilyn

Just shows her ignorance. Must have a limited vocabulary.

February 28, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  79. TV Guy

I didn't even watch. Hollywood is a joke.

February 28, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  80. Phil

Who cares. Everyone has used the word at one time or another. It's no big deal.

February 28, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  81. Mileena

Really??!! All of those saying it's poor/limited vocabulary, no class, bla, bla, bla... I'm sure you have NEVER used the f word at least once in your lifetime. Come on!! Stop acting like you are perfect!! We have all used it once or many times and she was nervous, and I'm sure I would have done worst than her! Under pressure you do and say things you wouldn't normally do!! Give it a rest!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  82. bmarie

I thought it was extremely tacky.....

February 28, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  83. holy frijoles

So much whining and sniping on here! I've liked and appreciated Melissa Leo's acting ever since she was on Homicide. She's fabulous! She might not be your typical glamorous Hollywood actress, but I say she's refreshing. And she's extremely well respected by other actors. So she she had a less-than-graceful moment on live TV. I'm not fond of live F-bombs, but I think Melissa Leo's talent is more discussion-worthy than a 1-second lapse in judgment. Buncha haters.

February 28, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  84. amac

This isn't the first time she dropped a bomb publicly..... the last time was her last movie.....

February 28, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  85. DerWeissEngel

I do like her tiny ta-tas, though!

February 28, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  86. Casual

Here is your one chance to be on THAT stage, get THAT award, stand where the great once stood, your in THEIR club now......and she turns into the person she played on the movie???!!!

As if THAT was classly? She really blew it as far as I'm concerned. She made a pig of herself. She has a chance to prove it is all just a character on the screen, and she is a true blue bowling alley hang-out queen with a beer in one hand and cig in the other, nice. She just proved she out of their league. Period.

Wow..........I have feeling she won't be back up there.

February 28, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  87. SoulTrain1943

Her speech was inane. It would have been better if she told the audience what pee tastes like.

February 28, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  88. Sherry

I get so disgusted with these type of award shows. To say it was a slip of the tongue is laughable. She knew full well what she was saying. Then we hear cheers from the audience for using the F word. What is this high school? Pretty sad how these people are viewed by the public.

February 28, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  89. WVLady 63

Obviously Ms. Leo is more like her character than was first assumed. She cheapened the Oscars with her vulgarity. Thank goodness it was bleeped before too much damage could be done. She has class but obviously it is all LOW.

February 28, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  90. EmSeeDubayou

It looks like all the grannies are online this morning scolding us with their opinions (when di they learn how to use the internet?)

February 28, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Just so you know...not all grannies on here are scolding Ms. Leo... and this grannie not only knows how to use the Internet, but makes 6 figures with it. Just sayin'.

February 28, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

You go granny! I hope that using correct grammar is not in your job description, though, because the singular of grannies is granny. And remember, on the internet, we're all rolling in the dough!

February 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Thanks for the heads up, but:

World English Dictionary
      granny or grannie (ˈɡrænɪ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n , pl -nies
      1. informal words for grandmother
      2. informal an irritatingly fussy person
      3. a revolving cap on a chimneypot that keeps out rain, etc
      4. ( Southern US ) a midwife or nurse
      5. See granny knot

grannie or grannie

February 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

I'm with Kim. I, too, am an old hag who happens to earn a six figure salary working in high tech. @EmSeeDubayou, did you think only the young could use the Internet? Who do you think invented computers?

February 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

Oh, and by the way (just to stay on topic), I am against any form of censorship and I'm right with you on all these prudes posting hateful, name-calling comments against Melissa Leo. She apologized already! Move on!

February 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

I stand corected...thanks Grannie

March 1, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

errr, corRected

March 1, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  91. Kim

Do any of you really know anything about Melissa Leo? She has been a fantastic actress for a LONG time and is very versatile and talented. On top of that....she and her son were terrorized by her ex who is also an actor...he beat her to the point she had to get a restraining order and escape his brutal treatment. She has not had a wonderful life and if the f word slipped out in the most amazing moment in her life...what of it. She deserves appreciation for her work, and kindness in the face of a mistake. Even though I am sure none of you have ever made a mistake, when you do, I hope people are more gentle in heart toward you than you have been toward her on here. Remember, what goes around, comes around.

February 28, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Casual

And? So what? What in the world has that got to do with her behavior last night? Besides, I suspect she is thrilled you reminded the planet of her bad times....nice one.

And the 'Granny" who is braggin' up about making 'six figures' and thinks this woman, not ladies, comment was just fine.......please, just because you make money by no means gives you class, and I hope you didn't reproduce children with all those manners.......hilarious.

February 28, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Speaking of hilarious....your reading comprehension is laughable. My reply about using the Internet and making six figures was in relation to the comment about 'When did grannies learn to use the Internet'. Read the whole context before you reply. As for reproduction, someone should have taught your mother about the benefits of birth control. Anyone with an IQ of over 50 knows that in order to be a real Granny...you have to have given birth, no matter what shape your manners are in.

February 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  92. lolasmama

No class.....surprise, surprise.

February 28, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  93. Willie12345

Does she kiss her children with that same mouth?

February 28, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  94. EmSeeDubayou

So what!

February 28, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  95. staceyflnative

they needed a white trash actor for a white trash part and they got one, literally, she didnt do it intentionally or by accident this is how this woman lives her life ....trashy

February 28, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  96. Jorge

Is it really Oscar worthy when the part you play is not that far off from who you actually are? She deserved an Oscar for playing white trash just about as much as Sean Penn deserved one for playing a tard.

February 28, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  97. yankeetexan

I think Hailee from True Grit deserved the award. Too bad the public didn't get to vote.

February 28, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

Sorry, Leo was much better – did you even see "The Fighter?" (I saw both)

EmSeeDubayouFromTexasToo

February 28, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • jedimastercreech

i saw all the best nom pics and I agree...the girl from true grit deserved it much more than Leo.

February 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Loriel

I wasn't as put off by the F bomb, even though it showed a lack of class and restraint, (I save mine for those enraging moments in the car), as I was by her rambling and irritating speech. She had taken out ads for herself in the Hollywood rags promoting herself for weeks before the Oscars and that alone says a great deal about her. I loved her as an actress until now.....even though I still think she is very talented.

February 28, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  99. Timme62

Yes it's just a word and I use it myself on occassion. However, i do think there is a time and a place to use certain words and accepting and award is not one of them. It was so totally scripted that there was no way it was an oops moment.

February 28, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  100. Bilbo

What a bunch of losers! Can you see someone doing that while accepting the Nobel prize for Physics? And that's worth a lot more than the crap these guys put out and call art.

February 28, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  101. Meh

My foot hurts this morning. It was fine when I walked 2 miles yesterday but now its sore for some reason.

February 28, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  102. GetOverIt

Will some of you people get over it already? I love how all of you "know" exactly what she planned, how she was feeling, and why she dropped an "F" bomb. None of you have ever been in that position before.

Wow. She used an obscenity...as if the same hypocrites pasting this woman in their comments don't use it constantly throughout the day. What a bunch of holier than thou, hypocritical sheep you are.

February 28, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  103. James Franco (no, the other one)

Maybe this will serve as another example to people who somehow think that words can be "bad" that This IS how people talk. There's nothing wrong with the word that she used. It's just a word. Doesn't hurt anyone, never has.

February 28, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  104. Susan

It was not a slip of the tongue or pure excitement getting the best of her after winning the Oscar. It was totally scripted, planned and contrived. Look at the clip again. I could care less about the F word. Melissa Leo was boringly dramatic, out of control, she planned to shock everyone with that speech, including the word fuc k. Then she pretended to apologize (even her "oops" was entirely phony) ~~ on top of that, she made the stupid choice of taking away a 94.year old man's walking cane. Awkward much?? Take her away.

February 28, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  105. Dave

THAT is something to get upset about. Not a word that somebody used on TV.

February 28, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  106. brad

I'm so sure everyone here NEVER cursed, Never let any profanity slip, specially not infront of others.. OMG.. the perfection shown on this comment thread.. with such perfect people here, shouldn't you all be out curing cancer, or displaying your perfection to inspire others instead of getting off talking about someone elses lack of perfection? just wondering.. I guess many of you perfect people haven't heard about what can happen when you throw stones in glass houses.. Ok back to reality, you perfect people can get back to your perfect lives, after taking a perfect moment to read this... have a perfect day :o)

February 28, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  107. Meh

It's not the "F" bomb that offends, it's that fact that this broad did it intentionally to get more media attention.
    She came of as dull and unintelligent.

February 28, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  108. Joe

So she used the "F" word....Oooooooh!!! And what happened? Did the country disolved into anarchy? Did our children begin riting in the streets? Did we, as a people, become infected with a disease that will cause us to die in painful, agonizing misery?
    It's a WORD. Get over it! Act like an adult.
    If hearing a four letter word offends your sensibilities THAT much, then you have seriously bigger problems.

February 28, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  109. PPB

Well she really showed us her lack of class....maybe here role in the movie was not such a stretch for her after all.

February 28, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
    • ray

In her moment of shock and surprise, her true self came out. She showed a total lack of class. More importantly, she showed that her role in "The Fighter" is pretty much who she is in real life......... White Trash.

February 28, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  110. anerrkist

Totally scripted, even the "oops" afterward.

February 28, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  111. Joe

So she used the "F" word...Oooooooh!!! And here it is the Monday after, did the country disolve into anarchy? Did our children run through the streets creating mayhem? Were we, as a people, stricken with some form of disease that will end our lives in painful, agonizing, misery?
    It is a WORD. Get over it! Try acting like adults.

February 28, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  112. Daryl

Yeah, pinch me too. In fact, punch me. We give out record contracts to anyone who can sing into a vocal pitch correction machine. Why not give out oscars to someone who expresses recognition with the same foul stinch? Let's give everybody an oscar and a rapper record contract. Plenty to go 'round.

February 28, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  113. Rita

The 'F BOMB" was just wrong.
    Completely unnecessary and offensive.

February 28, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  114. Shmul

She is a piece of trash.

February 28, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  115. Marto

Fbomb aside, we know they can tape delay these things when ever they want, this chick is crass. NEXT!

February 28, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  116. terri

How hypocritical we all are. We pay big bucks to go to the theater and watch movies that are completely riddled with the "f" word, "Hot Tub Time Machine" for example, and then we act offended when someone uses it at the motion picture awards ceremonies. The whole thing is ridiculous. Why is it okay so see it in the movies, but not at the movie awards????? Duh!!!

February 28, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

You paid big bucks to go see "Hot Tub Time Machine?" I'm very sorry for you.

February 28, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • terri

I did not seem"Hot Tub Time Machine" at the movies but my 22 yr old son did and then he was watching at home one day and I could here it in the next room. It is sad that people think that is entertainment. I hope he grows out of that some day.

March 2, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
    • terri

I did not see"Hot Tub Time Machine" at the movies but my 22 yr old son did and then he was watching at home one day and I could here it in the next room. It is sad that people think that is entertainment. I hope he grows out of that some day.

March 2, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  117. World Police

Come on people. This is 2011. That "F" word should be illegal and she should have to go to rehabilitation classes for 3 months. Second offense and she should sit in jail for a year. It's a free country and I should have the freedom to watch an awards program and no have to here that word. God told me so. Allah Akbar. Hail the great Jesus.

February 28, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  118. Thomas Fowler

Gone to the movies of late the word is used every other sentence for crying out loud.
    Not in True Grit I might say.

February 28, 2011 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  119. bill m

it would have been funnier if they had bob hope say it.

February 28, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Andy

That would've been hilarious, considering he's been dead for 8 years. lol

February 28, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  120. Andy

Rather hear the actual word than "freakin".

February 28, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  121. ufadoof

OMG! Not the F Bomb! Next think you know you'll be telling us the world is round or something....

February 28, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  122. peterrice

For all that support Ms. Leo for using the F Word. Then take this; F you twice.

February 28, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Lorne

It's a slip of the tongue to say it as an adjective when excited. It's only a truly low class person who would use it to insult other people.

February 28, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
    • D

F-you too peterrice

February 28, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  123. stevie

What kind of trailer trash drops the F word during her acceptance speech at the Academy Awards? I thought it was absolutely pathetic, her low breeding coming to the fore... I enjoyed her perfomance in The Fighter, but she was obviously just playing herself. the little girl from True Grit was much more deserving IMO. And why choose Colin Firth's pedestrian perfomance over Jeff Bridges tour de force in True Grit?

February 28, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • peggy

I bow to you Lord, Master and Mighty superior, human. By the way , are you a Christian, Republican or both? Trailer trash refers to economically disadvantaged white people. Not being white, I take great offence and wish you would not call anyone by this name.

February 28, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
    • LOL @ Stevie

You remind me of the kid that filmed a long crying and screaming video for YouTube because people made fun of Brittany Spears. You get jealous much?

February 28, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Poor little stevie

stevie, I'd like to see you get in front of millions and have not one error about you. You pretentious comment makes me think you are one of those bold bloggers who criticizes easily in type, but can't get the nerve up to leave your media room. F you. The performances in True Grit were good, though.

February 28, 2011 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
    • helena

But it was okay for Jack Palance to say "I take craps bigger than you" on live TV? If this had been a man the attention would been cut in half. In fact, Bono F bombed the grammies...oh wait...thats different. he's a rockstar, he's a man....People who are complaining about Melissa Leo just want to see Women put back into their place.

February 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  124. peterrice

If Ms. Leo used the F word at my dinner table in my home she would have been shown the door. Millions of children who know what she said will go to school thinking its alright to say the F word. Poor taste by a tasteless person.

February 28, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • LorNe

It's too bad you'll never get through this year's best movie, The King's Speech. It had the word... A lot. So did The Fighter, another excellent movie.

February 28, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • John

That's only because millions of children don't have parents that will take the time to teach them it's wrong.

February 28, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  125. Lorne

Did any of you see The King's speech? The f word was a freakin' plot point. It had an entire scene for itself, and it's now Best Picture, so get over yourselves.

February 28, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  126. Ophie

I love her and her genuine style. "The fighter" had a wonderful cast and I happy to see it take awards. Whatever with the "F-bomb". She shouldn't lose any sleep over it and neither should you.

February 28, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  127. Mike

I didn't even notice her saying that until the aftershow when it was made a deal of and I had to go look up the video myself.

To all the people criticizing her... Get real!!! Most of the movies nominates contained the very word she said and she even said it multiple times in the film which she won for.

It wasn't like she walked up there and said f••• all you a.holes to the audience.... It was a slip of the tongue.

Fuuk you!!!

February 28, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  128. CaliforniaConservative

Melissa Leo has no class even before dropping the f word and taking Kirk's cane away from him this evening. For the past several weeks she has also taken out full page ads asking readers to vote for her in magazines and newspapers. LOL

February 28, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  129. D

F-you

February 28, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  130. mrmagoo

profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother f&%ker.

February 28, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  131. John

Her speech was pretty incoherent. I understand excitement etc BUT common that speech was just absolutely terrible! Surely she must have some inkling on what she wants to say if she won. She can;t be that totally clueless as to think no way she could've won! Aside from the F-bomb what the heck was her taking Kirk Dogulas's cane away from him???

February 28, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  132. D

It's not that big of a deal, you prissies

February 28, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  133. Luxferrer

People are making such a big deal about an F-bomb! When did so many people wake up and turn into Tony Dung-heap! Profanity is for adults. If you don't like it, keep watching kids shows for the rest of your life and stay away from adults before more incidents of profanity scorch your tender little ears!

February 28, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  134. jeaner

Regardless of "the word" – she was totally fabulous in "Frozen River" – she is a very good actress !

February 28, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  135. FRONTGATE

Who care about something so silly as an "F-bomb"
    Grow up, the work is fuc oh I can't even spell it out here.

February 28, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  136. jaygee

I only wish that Kirk Douglas had punched, not pinched, this overly dramatic nitwit. I loved her performance in The Fighter but she should receive another award for overacting while accepting an Oscar. She looked so surprised but isn't this the same woman who took out full page" VOTE FOR ME" ads in L.A.? She must have thought she was on the MTV awards when she tried to impress with the F-bomb.

February 28, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  137. docjomo

Let's see, should I think what I say or say what I think?

February 28, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  138. ben

I think most of the comments here calling her obnoxious and low-class are talking about her overall demeanor. I was completely disgusted with her and I didn't even catch the F word til I read about it later.

February 28, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Translation – Ben didn't even see her accept the Oscar, but is formulating opinions based on this article and his own repressed nature.

IT WAS A SLIP OF THE TONGUE!! And she apologized INSTANTLY! It wasn't scripted or planned. It just happened in the moment of exaltation. Quit blasting her for it.

February 28, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • ben

i did see it. she went on and on and on for quite a while with her goofy antics and stupid "stealing the cane" bit. I probably missed the f-word part because i was shouting "oh, come on, play the music already" when it happened. I personally (like 95%) of Americans don't care what words she uses, I use them myself all the time. My point was that several posts here criticized her in very general terms and then got replies (like yours, Thomas) that only focused on the curse word, which wasn't even specifically mentioned by the original poster. Watch that "speech" again and try to tell me she doesn't come off as a ridiculous nitwit.

February 28, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  139. Joey Heatheron is a Goddess

Just goes to show, Ms. Leo is as classless and tasteless as the characters she plays. I mean, who wears the dress version of an Elvis suit to the Oscars? Not an actress I care to see in the future, both on the big screen and the Oscars.

February 28, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  140. arch

Nobody can say the "F" word like Tony Montana! You have to put about 30 sticks of gum in your mouth to get the effect! Hey, it's a big night for the lady. Give her a break. That's why they have the censors. All a bunch of turds! Are you allowed to say that!

February 28, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  141. oscarthegrouch

guess she wasnt acting after all!!

February 28, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  142. Scott

Eh. Not a big deal. There are much worse things going on in the world than an Oscar winner saying the dreaded F word.

February 28, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  143. Susan

Leo's inappropriate speech, including her f bomb, show how out of her league she was.

February 28, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  144. byron

Who the Fu&k cares!

February 28, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  145. Who cares?

It is sad that this day and age we have to apologize for comments that may offend one or two people. Those who criticize this woman for swearing probably say more in their day to day speeches.

Get over yourselves.

February 28, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Let's see... 'day to day speeches' versus Academy Awards acceptance speech.... um....Big Difference...

February 28, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  146. Miguel

Distasteful and disrespectful. But then again, it's enterteinment Hollywood style baby!

February 28, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  147. Outta Order

Why do they put such disrespectful women up there like that?? Shame! Shame, Melissa!!

February 27, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Richard Allen

plucking awesome.

February 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Zutopia

Real classy....glad I am watching something else.

February 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Teletubbies reruns again?

February 28, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Zutopia

@ Thomas....Wow, that was a really good guess, and how is it that you became so intelligent? Now be a good little boy and go play in a mine field somewhere :)

March 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  150. james

She's exactly why I don't watch the Oscars...actors today are low rent, overrated prissy boys and macho girls.

The old school drank and swore and made Sheen look like a whimp, but they didn't do it in front of there fans! Bette Davis..Class Melissa Leo...no-class

February 27, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiBra29

So if a celebrity is a terrible human being behind the camera, but smiles and acts nice and sweet in front of it, that's fine? I'd rather have celebrities (and real people for that matter) be who they are and not hide it. Big deal, she used the F-word. Sure, the Oscars probably aren't the best time for F-bombs, but there are so many celebrities out there doing way worse when the cameras are off.

February 28, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
    • frontgate

Sounds like James is an old school hypocrite.
      get your head out of the sand James

February 28, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

the old Hollywood, Davis, Crawford and the bunch were tightly controlled by the studio heads, etc. I would imagine in today's world you would have heard the F bomb come out of alot of their mouths!
      I thought Melissa dropping the F Bomb was funny and that is just her. I tend to use it alot myself...no biggie. We are who we are.

February 28, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  151. kevin

low class, get over it, it's only a word, there are way more important things, of course the republican dominated media will over analyze this for months, call for more censorship and get their shorts all bound up over nothing just to win points with the thumper crowd

February 27, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • ALOHAFALLS

Just because you can say or do something does not mean you should.

February 28, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Wolverine

@alohafalls...that was exactly my thought as I read YOUR post.

Seriously, people, are you really going to make a judgement of that woman's character based on her acceptance speech? Contrived vocabulary malfunction, slip of the tongue, or bad manners, how would you like it if everybody you came across who hardly knew you drew 100% of their conclusions about you based on one out-of-the-ordinary 30 second moment in your life?

It's this sort of hypocritical intolerance for anything and everything that is different that is turning this country into such a mess.

February 28, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

Really? I mean, really???

February 28, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  152. Jim

Debatable whether she should have won. But, in any case, when one wins they should show some class instead of using it as a personal forum or to attract media attention.
    I found it odd that she said something like, "I know so many words in the English lexicon" - I've found that people who freely use such words usually lack vocabulary, so they use curse words to try to express themselve.s

February 27, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Kathy Allingham Theibert

So unfortunate the most talked about moment will be the low class specticle displayed by Melissa Leo !!!!!!

February 27, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaymes

So unfortunate that you think one mention of the F word is a "low class spectacle."

Who cares???? She swore, we all do it. But when its on TV its the end of society, but when its in our car or in our living room, its no big deal??? How does that make sense?

February 28, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • D

oh no! you said the C word Kathy! How dare you say Class!!!

February 28, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  154. Pedro

Americans are so damn immature. It's like we're still in second grade every time someone says a naughty word. They're just words.

February 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Stan

Bunch of hypocrites, these same people will say rap music is bad for kids because rappers curse. I'm sick of the double standard in society, if a black person had done that we all we hear of how they are classless thugs from the ghetto – oh but this good white woman was just excited, give me a break!

February 27, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiBra29

There's always one person on these comment boards that has to bring up race for NO REASON. Race, religion, ethnicity, gender, etc, etc has nothing to do with this situation. If you actually read the comments on here, several people think it was not classy, unsophisticated and wrong for her to use the word in her speech. I guess your theory of her F-bomb being ok because she's white doesn't hold much water, does it? Get a life and save your accusations of racism for when they are actually warranted.

February 28, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

LiBra29@ Well said. Pick and choose your battles. Crying "racism" at random points, takes away from real instances of racism.

February 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Lulu

Too bad the 14 year old actress from True Grit didn't win. Better actress and I am sure would have shown more class.

February 27, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • yankeetexan

I agree with you. Hailee deserved to win, and I have no doubt she would have shown much more grace and class.

February 28, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  157. angel

Too bad she had to resort to foul language in her acceptance speech. Maybe she thought she was still in character? She would have been better off to say "thank you" and LEAVE!

February 27, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  158. leon

Big deal. Americans who criticize her fro the F word are themselves hypocrites who mutter that word under their breath when they are under stress or excited. Get over it, hyprocrites and puritan America! Your own kids are saying that everytime, and probably even worse, at Youtube and facebook. If anything, I give her thumbs up for saying it as it is. Yeah, f**ing great to win an Oscar.

February 27, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • peggy

i watched the show with my daughter and granddaugher, who also saw The King's Speech. We did not bat an eyelid to acknowledge the euphemism,Fornication Under Carnal Knowledge.

February 28, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Terre

@Peggy

I agree except that it is not an abbreviation, it comes from the German word "fick" which means to strike.

February 28, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • larry

@peggy its for unlawful carnal knowledge

February 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

To Peggy and Larry

It's Fornication Under Consent of the King. The abbreviation was hung on the door of a bedchamber in which either the *a-hem* manufacture of a royal heir was in progress or an arranged marriage was being sealed to join two houses for political reasons.

March 1, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Adalyn

Google for about three seconds. Fornication Under the Consent of the King is a myth. There were never signs nailed over doors while people did it.

March 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Chris

Her talent, it would seem, is inversely proportional to her grace.

February 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Fuk "grace". It's just another word for pretentiousness.

February 28, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • xnysmokie

I think Thomas just made the point perfectly. no class, no grace crude and rude.. if you have to resort to foul language its because of a lack of those qualitiesand its not needed. it is always pointed out that Sinbad and Bill Cosby have never used foul language to make people laugh.. its a personal choice

February 28, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  160. sqammy zoso

The so-called big F is in the best collegiate dictionaries. You can look it up. The big F ain't a big deal at all.

February 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  161. wolffie

Funny, she won an Oscar but lost with her 'presentation'. No class.

February 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

It was a slip of the tongue for which she instantly apologized. Get over it. No one judges you for the time you got drunk and nailed that cross-dresser in the alley.

February 28, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Teri

Well said. I agree.

February 28, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Teri

Just to clarify, I agree with Wolffie. Also, Thomas, some of us actually still have class and haven't gotten drunk and nailed anyone in an alley....or dropped the f-bomb in public.

February 28, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
    • mobrule

not to mention this was primetime, think of the children! seriously, if you can't keep from swearing for a 2 min speech, then you're some ignorant trailer trash ho (male or female).

February 28, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • HighClassVSLowClass345

Has anyone visited a High School lately? Please!!!

March 1, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  162. patty Biller

anything for attention. Hohum!

February 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • ok

I dont know who this actress is, but just watching her in that acceptance speech told me that she is low class.

February 28, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Randy

I was truly offended . . . NOT!! We (as Americans) need to get over it. It's the context of the word. If the f word is used for excitement or joy, then it's cool. It should only be bleeped if it is used in the negative to insult.

February 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bizarro

Nah. I't a word for those who find difficulty creating a proper sentence, i.e., F&*% me. F&*% you. What the F&*%? F&*% off!! People don't know how to talk anymore.

February 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • MA

I'm extremely articulate and use the word often, thanks. I see no problem in using ANY word in the English Lexicon.

February 27, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

If it's a good enough word for Tony Montana, then it's good enough for me.

February 28, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Really? did you just say using the F-Bomb is cool? Wow! your parents really failed you as a child.

February 28, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Sydney Australia

yeah MA and I bet you have no problem using the n word. I'd like to see how that works out for you sometime in the 'hood.

February 28, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • SW

It was used effectively in The King's Speech!

February 28, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • SW

Sydney Australia

What you know 'bout da hood my brotha?

February 28, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • JS

The word might be cool if you are barely literate.

February 28, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • sarcasm

Well, I for one am TERRIBLY offended. I have NEVER heard that word before.

ahhh oh god plz no

February 28, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  164. taffd

Melissa was using her acceptance speech to try to win an Emmy . Talk about a Drama queen, it was almost sickening as she emoted and tried every camera angle on her face as possible.

February 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • SBFlorida

Bitter much?

February 27, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • taffd

to SBflorida-yes, it should have been me!!

February 27, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I agree. The whole acceptance speech was affected, showy. And the F-bomb was not a slip of the tongue. Just part of the show. Use that word organically, effectively, no problem. Use it for shock value, or to garner attention, or because of a limited vocabulary, not so good.

February 28, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Sw

Fockers

February 28, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
    • dean

No matter how much you try, you can't dress up a sk ank.

February 28, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

she indeed does seem to have a very limited vocabulary..wow...she is the epitome of the uneducated blue collar trailer trash.

February 28, 2011 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Callie Elrod

I certainly agree...I had heard that she took out a billboard along the highway to say to vote for her and the movie!
      More meds, Melissa!

February 28, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Jebuss T. Chrysct

U Mad Bro? lighten up, smoke em if ya got em, and live and let live

February 28, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • OscarsOnFX

Why do the Oscars have to be on a live air network? If FX had of carried the Oscars, we could have all heard the F-bomb, realized it was no big deal, laughed at her moment of ignorance, and just made no big deal of it. Cable TV should get divs on the Oscars next year, enough of the Big 3 getting all the glory and the 8 second time delay CENSOR button!

February 28, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
    • dtcpr

@OscarsonFX.... if you had watched last night you would have seen that ABC is carrying the Oscars until 2020, they just signed a new contract

February 28, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Absolutely agree. And why did they let her go on and on and on, but they rushed off some of the other winners who behaved with class? I just don't understand that. I also believe the shock was fake.

February 28, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

What I find funny are all you people chastizing her about having no "class" yet are tearing her down anonymously on a message board. Yes yes, this is the epitome of being classy. Hypocrites.

February 28, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • nps

I agree. I thought she looked beautiful until she opened her mouth and "accidentally" swore. I'm tired of the classless celebrities of today. Her acceptance speech had me longing for the good old days of Hollywood when women were actually ladies, like Grace Kelly. Before others comment that I must be old, I'm not, I'm only 38!

February 28, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • French

Melissa Leo is an excellent actress–what is sad and sickening is the way people find it so easy to trash others...and focus on issues that don't matter whatsoever!! She is obviously a great enough actor to win an award-what awards have all you negative losers won lately?

February 28, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • mobrule

it was planned. either the oscars asked her to say it so people would talk about it today, or she planned it - who's getting press the day after? she is. who will get press next year even if she's not nominated? she will. you people are easy.

February 28, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Seriously. How classless of her to make her acceptance speech about HER! And I'm sure the billboard rumor was true. Some empty heads will believe anything. Her roles call for hard language, and who doesn't use it now and then? Well, most of us anyway.

February 28, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • cs

Her charactor was sickening in the movie and I guess she didn't have to go far to get in to character.

February 28, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kassey

Can you please complete my survey for one of my college classes? Thanks.

March 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • joel

No one cares.

March 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • DM

You can take the girl out of the trailer park,,,,,but not the trailer park out of the girl. She didn't deserve an Oscar for acting as she wasn't acting

March 2, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |