83rd annual Academy Awards: Winners list
February 27th, 2011

83rd annual Academy Awards: Winners list

Best picture

• "Black Swan"
  • "The Fighter"
  • "Inception"
  • "The Kids Are All Right"
  • "The King’s Speech" - WINNER
  • "127 Hours"
  • "The Social Network"
  • "Toy Story 3"
  • "True Grit"
  • "Winter’s Bone"

Best actor

• Javier Bardem, "Biutiful"
  • Jeff Bridges, "True Grit"
  • Jesse Eisenberg, "The Social Network"
  • Colin Firth, "The King's Speech" - WINNER
  • James Franco, "127 Hours"

Best actress

• Annette Bening, "The Kids Are All Right"
  • Nicole Kidman, "Rabbit Hole"
  • Jennifer Lawrence, "Winter's Bone"
  • Natalie Portman, "Black Swan" –WINNER
  • Michelle Williams, "Blue Valentine"

Supporting actor

• Christian Bale, "The Fighter" - WINNER
  • John Hawkes, "Winter's Bone"
  • Jeremy Renner, "The Town"
  • Mark Ruffalo, "The Kids Are All Right"
  • Geoffrey Rush, "The King's Speech"

Supporting actress

• Amy Adams, "The Fighter"
  • Helena Bonham Carter, "The King's Speech"
  • Melissa Leo, "The Fighter" - WINNER
  • Hailee Steinfeld, "True Grit"
  • Jacki Weaver, "Animal Kingdom"

Director

• Darren Aronofsky, "Black Swan"
  • David O. Russell, "The Fighter"
  • Tom Hooper, "The King's Speech" - WINNER
  • David Fincher, "The Social Network"
  • Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "True Grit"

Animated feature

• "How to Train Your Dragon"
  • "The Illusionist"
  • "Toy Story 3" - WINNER

Foreign language film

• "Biutiful"
  • "Dogtooth"
  • "In a Better world" - WINNER
  • "Incendies"
  • "Outside the Law"

Documentary feature

• "Exit Through the Gift Shop"
  • "Gasland"
  • "Inside Job" - WINNER
  • "Restrepo"
  • "Waste Land"

Documentary short

• "Killing in the Name"
  • "Poster Girl"
  • "Strangers No More" - WINNER
  • "Sun Come Up"
  • "The Warriors of Qiugang"

Adapted screenplay

• "127 Hours"
  • "The Social Network" - WINNER
  • "Toy Story 3"
  • "True Grit"
  • "Winter’s Bone"

Original screenplay

• "Another Year"
  • "The Fighter"
  • "Inception"
  • "The Kids Are All Right"
  • "The King’s Speech" - WINNER

Art direction

• "Alice in Wonderland" - WINNER
  • "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I"
  • "Inception"

• "The Fighter"
  • "The King's Speech"
  • "127 Hours"
  • "The Social Network" - WINNER

Visual effects

• “Alice in Wonderland”
  • “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”
  • “Hereafter”
  • “Inception” - WINNER
  • “Iron Man 2”

Original score

• “How to Train Your Dragon”
  • “Inception”
  • “The King's Speech”
  • “127 Hours”
  • “The Social Network” - WINNER

Original song

• “Coming Home” from “Country Strong”
  • “I See the Light” from “Tangled”
  • “If I Rise” from “127 Hours”
  • “We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3" - WINNER

• “True Grit”

Animated short film

• "Day & Night"
  • "The Gruffalo"
  • "Let's Pollute"
  • "The Lost Thing" - WINNER
  • "Madagascar, carnet de voyage" ("Madagascar, a Journey Diary")

Live action short film

• "The Confession"
  • "The Crush"
  • "God of Love" - WINNER
  • "Na Wewe"
  • "Wish 143"

Filed under: Awards Season • Oscars 2011

1. Freddy Nauarro

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and just could not come across. What a great website.

July 27, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. buy usa vpn

Awesome things here. I'm very happy to peer your article. Thank you so much and I am taking a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

April 3, 2012 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Thomas

I agree 2001 needs to make it thurogh. Watching it changed my perspective on the world' LOL and Hal is so so scary

February 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. thinking matters academy

. Good job, Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

August 11, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. kasey

I watched Inception and i loved it. Im surprised it didnt win best picture. I admit, it was confusing, but it was good. Also, I wasnt surprised Alice in Wonderland won best costume design and art direction! The costumes were amazing!

March 8, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. shuan

it's an exciting time! There are so many movies, i have no time to see all of them. I can't tell which one is good from TV advertisements, so it's the best way to get information from Oscar for me. Haha, i can't wait to see some of those.

March 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jagrisjr

Watch NAACP Image Awards Online @ http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979106402

March 3, 2011 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Blondet

I KNOW I'M LATE WITH THIS STATEMENT BUT THIS YEAR'S NOMINATION LIST TOTALLY SHUTOUT PEOPLE OF COLOR WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE SPANISH ACTOR JAVIER BARDEM. IT IS 2011 AND THIS BLEEPING COUNTRY IS STILL STUCK IN THE 40s AND 50s. IF YOU ARE A RACE OTHER THAN WHITE, YOU DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A BLEEPING WORTH. WHAT THE BLEEP, BLEEP! I SAY, I AM A PERSON OF COLOR, I MATTER AND HEAR ME ROAR!!!

March 2, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. narendraharnesha

fentastic

March 1, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. Alverant

And once again a bone is thrown to the genre films in the special effects department because, God forbid, the Academy ever acknowledges those kind of films have cinematic value.

The King's Speech was designed to win Oscars. It was like a checklist of what the academy wants. Any enjoyment on the part of the viewing public is just a minor benefit. Social Network was snubbed because it deals with people younger than the Oscar voters making history with new technology (ie makes them feel OLLLD) so they'd much rather give awards to fictionalized movies that they can relate to.

February 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hunter

The very fact that Alice In Wonderland was even nominated for Best Art Direction and Best Costume design shows how bankrupt the process has become. I enjoyed Alice well enough but the entire film was a paint-by-numbers exercise in Lewis Carol worship and as well executed as both wardrobe and production design were, there weren't two original ideas between the two departments. The Art Direction in Inception was spot-on, original and served to support the story and the wardrobe for the The King's Speech was in a word evocative. How Alice wandered away with any Oscars at all is a marvel of sympathy and insider pandering.

February 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scalrtn

Geoffrey Rush deserved the Best Supporting Actor award

February 28, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Heather

Does anyone else out there who has seen Blue Valentine share my disappointment with the lack of recognition for Michelle William's brilliant appearance?! That was the most raw, most human, most authentic performance I have seen in a really, really long time. Her portrayal of that character captivated me. I cannot believe she was not given more recognition for that performance. Ryan Gossling (sp?) was brilliant as well – both of these actors are truly phenomenol talents. The story is profound, deep, sad, tumultous and totally identifiable. Michelle and Ryan – if either of you pay attention to these comments whatsoever, you have my 150% admiration and respect for your performances in this film and I think you were seriously short-changed by your industry!! But I sincerely thank you – you both totally put yourselves out there and fully committed to those characters.

February 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zlata

I wish I had apieecpatrd the figure I had in my 20 s. I could always go for more traveling and more savings.

February 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rainman

See, the way I see it, the only opinion that matters is mine when it comes to what movies I like. I view the Oscars as a listing of potential movies I might like to see or a little reminder of movies I liked or did not. I sure don't get my own ego tied up with what other people liked, including the academy, the people and their choice, or whoever. As video making becomes widespread, we have more viewing choices than ever. Aside from that, I tend to see the good in too many movies anyway. About a good two thirds of the movies I like just never get nominated and some are just hated. As for race, I like most minority actors I see today. I think people get their perceptions blurred by who they see around them. For instance, African Americans make up 12.4% or so of the U.S. population. That's why African Americans are a minority. There are not as many of them as the majority. But there are certainly noteworthy African Americans in cinema, and they can proudly point to some of the best in the world. Of course, there are lots of minorities in the U.S. Why limit things to the U.S. though? An Indian and Hindu actor named Shah Rukh Khan is said to be the most famous world wide with billions of fans and estimated to be worth $450 million (I suggest My Name is Khan as a good example of a movie by him). How can this be? In the end, except as a list of pretty good English language movies, the Oscar's are just an aggregate of opinions by a few Hollywood insiders that are privileged to make their opinions known to the rest of us. It is no more, and it is no less.

February 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Clayton

Yeaaaaa... How to Train Your Dragon was MUCH better than Toy Story 3....

February 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jane Baker

The Oscars are becoming so increasingly dreadful that I would almost rather just watch for updates online. The writing was poor, the stupid banter that always takes place between presenters is getting old, the ridiculous way the presenters sit and talk to each nominee during the Best Actor/Actress category is awkward and uncomfortable, and I can think of half a dozen young people in Hollywood that would appeal to a "younger demographic" that are more interesting and entertaining then the two they chose. I mean, come on, Franco looked like he just rolled out of bed and was mentally detached from most of the show. The only clever thing he did was take pictures of the crowd with his phone as he walked out with Hathaway. Next year get Jack Black and Sarah Silverman.

February 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Paul http://www.youtube.com/ny007ny

Worst....Show....ever.

February 28, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. Crystal Achterkirch

Harry Potter should of got at least one reward

February 28, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  19. Butche

Mr Ruch should have won for his role in The King's Speech". His performance was better than Colin Firth.

February 28, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  20. Abstract

Seriously...does anyone under 35 watch this show? I've only seen two of the movies on the Best Picture List (Inception and the Social Network) and would not consider either to be my choice for movie of the year...I stopped careing about the results of this show way back when the Matrix never won Best Picture...and seriously not one black actor or actress, no hispanic, no asian, hmmmm...draw your own conclusion

February 28, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  21. Canadannie

I am so disgusted with Melissa Leo's lack of judgement in using the "F" word. Also, why is it that so many of these actors and actresses are so bad at public speaking – they "um" and "er" and apparently can only be brilliant when they have a script to work from. Once again, why do the Oscars even need a host/hostess – all you need is a "voice of God" saying, "and now to present the Oscar for ........ please welcome ......."

February 28, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  22. Bruce Pearson

I am extremely disappointed that Harry Potter did not win anything. In the world today, there are little to no magical moments. Harry Potter brings magic to the world. Watching the movies makes my heart flutter.. I truly fall in love everytime I watch it. Sure I like my wife, and my kids are alright, but there is nothing like watching a Harry Potter film. Such a shame.

February 28, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. connor pearson

i LOVE the oscars!!!!!! ((((((((((((((: <333333333

February 28, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  24. TheWalker

The Oscars?
    I would not spend 5 minutes of my time to watch the country club awards that is the Oscars...Christian Bale, got an Oscar?

PLEASE

February 28, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  25. Julie

One word, "Boring". Although I did enjoy Franco & Hathaway's little movie bit. Otherwise, the Oscars was just flat out boring. These thank-you speeches. Give them 10 seconds, just say 'thank you' and be done with it. I hoped that Social Network wouldn't win anything, just because I don't like FB or Zuckerberg. That guy looks like a chump. Winning adapted screenplay? Come on. There has to be other movies better than that. And what is the big deal about those NY kids' singing? They're just like any other elementary school singing group. Nothing spectacular. I can see the same thing if I stepped into any elementary school across the street.
    All in all, the Oscars is one big joke. There should be just one award show and the winners are selected by the public, since we're the ones who watch the movies.

February 28, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  26. Juan Blanco

So much ignorance still prevalent *sigh*. Love Tyler Perry movies but they are not Oscar material. He is doing a fantastic job of getting many different talented, people involved in his movies and TV shows. It's almost like the NFL. Tony Dungy succeeds and gives a job to Lovie Smith. Love succeeds and...it continues.
    A new category should be made for hardest working actor and it should go to Samuel "Effin" Jackson. The guy is in so many movies.
    The whole Hollywood is so jewish is crazy too. Spielberg directed the Color Purple and last I checked many of the people in that great movies were not white.
    What really matters is what the Box office take is, right? If we like it we will watch it. Really doesn't matter what "The Academy" says does it? According to what the "people" wanted it was: Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter, Inception, Shrek....

February 28, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  27. Cory Harris

It appears that no matter the subject stupidity overflows and it also shows how stupid CNN is for allowing such crap on there site....

February 28, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  28. goss

Saving Private Ryan was better than Shakespeare in Love and should have won. I'm still bitter. arghhh

February 28, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  29. Janice

Christian Bale in The Fighter.. absolutely amazing. I am not a huge Christian Bale fan but his acting in that movie was phenomenal, well deserved!!!

February 28, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Monkey

I agree Janice, I could not stand Christian Bale in the Dark Night, but his acting in 'The Fighter' came off much more naturally

February 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Goss

Hailee Steinfeld was robbed. She should have won.

February 28, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Alyson

No, she wasn't. Young Oscar winners always have terrible, short-lived careers. I'm glad she escaped the curse.

February 28, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. dumb

wow...stupid comments regarding "colored people"...i mean, first off, who says "colored people" any more? really....get over yourselves...."I'm white! why can't i have a network named White entertainment?!" Are you kidding??? cuz it's f***in racist...thats the way it is..."Why do we even have affirmative action? It's pointless..." Seriously? cuz racist f***s like you who hire people will go and immediately eliminate all the "colored people" applying for the job cuz you think it's not fair. "Tyler Perry is garbage...why is he even on TV..." Because he found a f***in genie in a bottle and wished for millions and millions and millions of dollars to buy his huge freakin mansion and make movies for "colored people"...oh....wait...thats not it....he worked his a** off and earned it all by making movies that people wanted to see...and when i say people, i mean for the general public...last time I checked, i'm white and I wasn't turned away at the door when i went to see a Tyler Perry movie...."uh?! you mean they let EVERYONE see those 'colored people' movies??" Yes! quit b****in!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • dumb

oh...and one more thing....not a one of you posting all these comments complaining about black people (yeah...i said it....black people! cuz they're black!) would say any of this s*** in public...so don't act like you would...you'd probably be afraid of getting robbed by "the colored people"....morons

February 28, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  32. FROST

If I hear one more person say anything about "White Entertainment Television" they would be called racist, i am gonna scream. What do yo think NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc is??? Geez!

February 28, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  33. Denise

Wow. I can't believe some of the stupid comments I have read. I get so sick of non colored people thinking all African Americans do is complain. If you think that nothing was done this year to deserve a nomination you clearly did bother to watch Halle Berry in Frankie & Alice. You didn't listen to John Legend's original song "Shine". We understand that we can only get nominated and win if we play in degrading and criminal roles in order for the white academy to recognize us. For example Training Day. Denzel Washington should have clearly won for Malcolm X instead. Yes, Tyler Perry probably will never win because he chooses to show African Americans in a positive light. Black, Hispanic, & other non Europeans have to create their on companies in order to get any recognition. For the person who said if there was a network called "White Entertainment Network" you would be called racist. You do have the networks they just chose to call themself Fox News instead.

February 28, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  34. ravi

i was disappointed, the best supporting role should have gone to Geoffrey Rush for King's Speech.

February 28, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  35. Roopesh

Once again !!! The movies I did not watch has won the Oscars !!!! I badly wanted Inception to win( the main categories I mean).Plst wait Inception haters...just give a thought about the Idea in the movie and they way it was executed.The movie had a class of its own.True the ending does give the viewers somethign to ponder but hey perfection is one class act which hardly comes by ,dont you think?The screwed up system , the nominations I mean...Best Picture But no Best Director<–Oscars Committee pls do your homework the next time pls.

February 28, 2011 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  36. gabe

Inception was brilliant. It got snubbed for original score and best picture. I don't care what other people say. The kings speech was good and i can't be too angry that it won, just disappointed. The Social Network was a garbage movie that was amplified by the subject matter and not the actual content of the movie. Same with the kids are all right. Just liberal propaganda.

February 28, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
    • marv

coudn't get thru the first ten minutes of the social network.

February 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peyton

Did any one else notice that "Inception" got just as many Oscars as "Th King's Speech" although they were "lesser" Oscars...four is still four! I find that interesting...and very telling about the entertainment industry. "Inception" wasn't my favorite movie, I preferred "The Fighter" to the other movies I saw this past year...which wasn't many. :-)

February 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  37. stephanie

I was made felt bad by the Oscars, cause I´m not gay! It was like they couldn´t get enough of gay. I´ve never heard talk about being straight, like they did about being gay. :-(

February 28, 2011 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Trinity

You were "made felt bad"? I wouldn't focus too much on the gay thing sweetheart....go back to school and take an English class.
      Gay and proud in Florida!!

February 28, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  38. Clu3

Two movies here got shorted... The Social Network and Tron. Im amazed Tron Legacy didnt show up more with the original score from Daft Punk that got rave reviews and was a cart topper, as well as the amazing cgi and beautiful landscaping. I mean it wasnt even nominated for Visual Effects, or Original Score (and How to Train Your Dragon was?). Out of all the movies this year the only that I have watched more than twice were Tron and Social Network.

February 28, 2011 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Dragon's score bad? Seriously?

Tron's score was pretty good, but you picked the wrong example of bad movie scores. The score from "Dragon" was actually quite phenomenal. On the other hand, I don't remember at all leaving the theater after seeing "The Social Network" and thinking, "Wow, what a great score." There's at least five of those moments in Dragon. Powell got robbed. Bigtime.

February 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Taylor

I was really dissapointed when i found out that "The Kings Speech" beat "The Fighter." Im sorry but the Kings Speech i thought was really over rated and dry. The best picture with out a shadow of a dought should've gone to "The Fighter." Even "Inception" i thought had a better chance than of getting the Best Picture Award than "The King's Speech."

February 28, 2011 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  40. Mari

If there were more black actors like Sidney Poitier, then they would be nominated for an oscar.

February 28, 2011 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  41. Mari

Regarding color. The Academy has already had years where they favored color. This year was Lesbians. The reality is that there are few outstanding black leading actors in major movies. Members of the Academy didn't use to have to watch the movies in order to vote...not sure about now. Actor's have reputations and they all know each other in the industry. If they are respected, they will receive more votes. For example, I did not think Annette Bening deserved to be nominated for her acting in The Kids are All Right but she is well respected in Hollywood and so she got nominated. I thought just about everything is this movie was awful. I don't understand how this movie or Inception ever got nominated.

February 28, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
    • stephanie

Kids today have a hard time when their parents divorce. What makes gay people think that their kids are ok with them being gay? The kids are NOT all right!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  42. Bbanji

Agree with one poster. I hated Inception and also thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I had to try hard not to fall asleep or walk out. I judge a movie on how engrossed I am with it. To my surprise I was completely engrossed with The King's Speech, especailly since it was all talking, with no action or drama. That was an excellent movie, and so was The Social Network. I didn't see a couple of the firms nominated due to subject matter.

February 28, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  43. theonewhoknowsnothing

The Oscars are chicken poop!

February 28, 2011 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  44. theonewhoknowsnothing

The Oscars are crap! It's got nothing to do with honoring one's peers. Money, money, money that's what the Oscars are for.

February 28, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  45. OPENMINDJON

Hey you advertising hacks for Dreanworks and 'Dragon'... you will always be an 'Escort".

February 28, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  46. OPENMINDJON

The Academy Awards are about COMMERCE, nothing else. Why else do they want weekend receipts reported after every weekend? The award should be called the FAVORITE, THIS MOMENT awards. Then everybody would understand the reason the awards were given. Who brought in the most money! Though then you have Paramount Studios saying that Eddie Murphy's movie, "Coming to America". did not make a profit for twenty years. LIARS! Number 10 movie at the time didn't make any money? LIARS! So, who cares! I have my favorites too. Don Cheadle and Miguel Ferrer are better at anything they do than Christian Bale or Colin Farrell. Tyler Perry? A one song man if there ever was! When did he do anything that wasn't a chick flick? Oh! Forest Whitaker was never nominated? NOT! How come there is not separately an award for best comedy? What is wrong with these people, "Avatar" most successful? Only because of the money, the favorite at the box office. It was an allegory for obtaining oil in Iraq though mostly I slept through it! The second time, when I took my 7 year old to see it. The first time I walked out after 15 minutes, I could not get past the inane and childish dialogue Sigourney Weaver(et all) had to deliver! Remarkably similar to StarWars Haha, did I offend everyone? My job is done... Kevin Smith RULES!

February 28, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Trinity

Sounds like you need to get some therapy to get rid of all that anger.

February 28, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Reggie

If you think Coming to America was better than Avatar than there is no point even having a discussion with you. Why the rant about Don Cheadle and Miguel Ferrer? It makes no sense my friend. i think that the Ghost and Mr. Chicken was better than Coming to America. What about Don Knotts???

February 28, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  47. adeel

i think 'if i rise' was much better than all others

February 28, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  48. FrankLee

On the question of "why no people of color", the answer is when black people (and no, not "African American" – I'm talking race, not nationality. I'm of Irish descent, but my RACE is not "Irish American" – that's my national heritage. My RACE is "white". So let's PLEASE drop this politically correct label, "African American", unless you're referring ONLY to Americans of African descent. WHICH, btw, CAN include WHITE people) start producing films and acting on the Oscar level they WILL be recognized. Personally, if I was Black I'd be embarrassed by the films and TV that are Black produced. Tyler Perry?? His stuff is garbage. Get it TOGETHER, people. Here's a clue – make something that's NOT about BEING BLACK. THEN you'll be on the right path.

February 28, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • inkmobe

Amen to that.

February 28, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Ellie

Yawn! I'm black and have never referred to myself or anyone else that's black as African-American. As far as I'm concerned it's a label that I've been randomly given...Why? Who knows..? Considering my parents aren't even African..nor are my grandparents...

And also when will people get that "people of color" doesn't refer solely to blacks. People of color are hispanics, indians, arabs, asians and etc. I mean with all the different categories of color not -one- person from a minority group was nominated in like any category. The problem is there are few if any roles available for people of color to begin with as far as I'm concerned.

February 28, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  49. Mario

Yes, l agree, good to see Christian Bale up there after all. Regarding the other things I posted – WGAF!!!! Meaning: "Who Give A F...!!!!"

February 28, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  50. Mario

Are you all kidding me? The real snubbery occurs when the characters and movies are typecast all as white or Jewish. Those Hollywood people have a choice on what kinds of films they want to make, and they usually 99 per cent of the time go with their own kind. Reminds me of that song, "Stick to your own kind, one of your own kind!"

February 28, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • FrankLee

Very true – Hollywood is very Jewish centric. And politically very liberal. Coincidence?

February 28, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  51. Ellen

The real snub was Winter's Bone, which was better than all of them.

February 28, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Angie

I agree. I thought Winter's Bone ahould have won Best Picture. It was well put together and acted it.

February 28, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  52. davidj

The show was boring as crap. Celine was good. The end was good with the kids, and the tribute to Bob Hope as former MC reminded me how good the show used to be. Its just a fashion show now and an opportunity for the "stars" to tell us how wonderful they are.

February 28, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  53. Laurence Cohn

I have seen almost every picture nominated for an award and of the picture I have seen i would agree on almost all of the winners. However I am a fan of SyFi and as far as I'm concern "Inception" was a piece of trash and one fo the worst films that I have seen in recent years - Thank go I didn't waste money to see it in a move theater and I was able to rent it for $1.50 blu-ray from Red Box. If I could I would like a refund!

February 28, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Marie

I guess blu-ray from Red Box should return your money just for the free plug you just gave them. ROFL!!!

February 28, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Roopesh

Inception? a piece of trash !!! seriously speaking Mr. Laurence have you understood the movie itself or are you in your sub conscious?. tell us pls ;)

February 28, 2011 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Mcaswell82

Yes I love when a person clearly doesn't understand the concept of a movie so they call it trash. Let all of us intelligent folks who can understand infinite regression enjoy our smart psychological thriller. You can go watch the Justin Beaver movie!!

February 28, 2011 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  54. Jason

SUCH BS. The day that toy story beats, Tangled or how to train a dragon.

February 28, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Reggie

Tangled id one of t he worst movies I have ever seen. Are you kidding me? As far as HTTYD, it was a very good theme but the movie did not even compare to TS3. Pixar probably does get some preferential treatment from the Academy but they also put out the best products.

February 28, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  55. Kate

It's about bloody time that Christian Bale wins something! Good on ya, Christian!

February 28, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  56. booboobear

That's it. I will no longer be watching the Oscars – ever. I just don't understand how they pick the winners. There is no way in heck that Toy Story 3 was a better movie than How To Train Your Dragon. The Dragon movie was so far superior to Toy Story that I was literally stunned when it didn't win. But, I guess Pixar has always been the Oscar darlings and that's not about to change anytime soon. Shame. A real shame. But kudos to the studio that made the Dragon film – the public loved it, even if the stupid Academy didn't.

(and Mario – you are absolutely right. the oscars are always sadly devoid of any people of color. and then folks wonder why groups feel the need to develop their own stations like BET and Telemundo ,and their own awards show. a real shame we can't all come together even for the sake of entertainment.)

February 28, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Marie

Oh come on, they're just cartoons and all we've heard since Toy Story 3 came out is it's the best 1 out of all of them, including a lot of other Movietoon's made. It's just a matter of personal preference anyways, in this case just a certain group of people's opinions who voted.

February 28, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

I agree 100%. HTTYD was by far a superior movie. It definitely does not get the credit that it deserves – was it just marketed poorly?

February 28, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
    • stephanie

I´m happy Toy Story 3 won. To say that it shouldn´t have, is sad. Never seen Train your dragon. Won´t want to, dragons remind me of demons!

February 28, 2011 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Mcaswell82

I do believe that Morgan Freeman opened the oscars with James Franco and Anne Hathaway so not sure what you mean the oscars are devoid of color? If you mean nobody of color won anything this year that's because nobody of color produced anything of value this year. Halle Berry has won for Monsters Ball in 2001 Forest Whitaker won for The Last King Of Scotland in 2006. Denzel Washington won in 2001 for Training Day, Morgan Freeman won a supporting actor oscar for Million Dollar Baby in 2001, I think you might need to do some research people of color get nominated almost every year and some even win when the work merits it. I think you might just be a little bit racist!

February 28, 2011 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Mcaswell82

Oh and another thing I have no problem with BET other than if I as a white man made a chanel called White Entertainment Television they'd call me racist. It's a double standard it's ok for a black person to say this is my network for my people but if a white person says this chanel is for whites only it's racist. How about a movie called For Colored Girls that just came out recently it made me feel discriminated on because i'm not a colored girl!!

February 28, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Annah

@booboobear

The reason why there was little people of color that did not win was because there was nothing to merit winning an Academy Award this year. Reverse racism is just as ignorant as racism. Should be ashamed of yourself.

Personally, I found TS3 much better than HTTYD so it is just to show you the world should not agree 100% to your assessment.

February 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • moviewatcherz

yeah, i agree. how to train 'yer dragon was a good movie, it's transfer to blu-ray is reference quality, that probably doesn't mean alot to most people. toy story 3 had a descent visual look/sound, not sure how they arrive at the winners. the "big" news, that king something or other won several awards...yawn, never saw it, never will. it reminds me of the time when the english patient won. inception was the best overall movie in '10, but sci-fi rarely wins much(avatar), usually leftovers at best. i'm glad decaprio and page were in it, happy to see leanardo doing something he is good at, and i liked ellen in juno. kicka** should of got something too, and scott pilgrim vs. stuff, maybe they need more catagories or something. my .02 cents.

February 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Kathi

The best part of this telecast was at the end when the kids from New York sang and the winners all came out on stage. Up until then, it was extremely boring. All th over hyped commercials made me think it was going to be so special. It wasn't.

February 27, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I can't tell you how glad I am that "True Grit" didn't get squat! That's wonderful. A totally over-rated 'actor' living off the shadow of his dad and brother. Don't screw with the Duke.

February 28, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

When will these fitlthy rich network executives learn to cut out the last half hour of commercials so that those that have to DVR or TiVo this stupid show don't miss the biggest award of the night because the show runs long. Then you can't even find the recorded video of the same missed awards and closing any where on the "Networks" website after it is over. Sure would have been nice to see those kids sing from New York thanks for nothing ABC

February 28, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • mobrule

yawn, the only thing good about the oscars is joan rivers trashing celebs, which is tonight.

February 28, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • sarah

Franco was terrible. You call that a host? I've seen more enthusiasm and commitment from a snail.

February 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jaime

I've never gotten over them snubbing "Car Wash" for best picture back in '79.

February 28, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  59. Robert

The problem is not minority nominees not winning. The problem lies with the casting. How many Asian characters will be cast by an European decent actor? How many scripts are written with the depth to include any cultural balance? The 2 films that were highly anticipated Kings Speech(about rich white royalty), and Social Network(about rich Harvard kids fighting over hundreds of millions in a pity fight). Inception had a diverse cast, and they got no love. Who cares about winning the awards, when non-white actors don't get cast in legit award winning movies. Harold & Kumar will be relegated to cultural comedy for how long?

February 28, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  60. william

is this a joke? there wasn't one "person of color" who was remotely deserving of being nominated this year. So you are saying that somebody unworthy should be nominated simply because they are of color. Seems to be a slap in the face to your own beliefs, such hypocrisy at work. Even the snubs this year weren't "of color", so are you suggested we have an obligatory token black nominee every year regardless of merit? I don't give a care what color the nominees are but don't give me this crap whining about nominees of certain race being nominated even if they are the most deserving of the award.

February 28, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  61. Bryan

So should they nominate whites at the NAACP image awards? Works both ways.

February 28, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  62. SoFloShawn

Yep. Nothing screams equality, like forcing the Academy to include people based solely on "color."

February 28, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  63. Jared

So I guess Hispanics or Spaniards don't count as a person of "color" because Javier Bardem was nominated. Oh you meant black didn't you? When people play the race card this horribly I just remember the 30 Rock scene where Tracy Jordan literally hands Liz Lemon a race card "Darn I can't do anything to top that". I'll tell you what name one actor this year that deserved to be nominated that wasn't. Go ahead. Sorry there just wasn't, don't blame the academy because Tyler Perry can't make movies that get nominated for Oscars.

February 28, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  64. shawn

I'm pretty sure hollywood is looking to name someone "of color" as a winner as soon as someone "of color" is in a movie that isnt terrible. Hence, why there was so much brouhaha over "Slumdog Millionaire."

February 28, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  65. Kate

Here here! I completely agree with you on affirmative action.

February 28, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  66. the joker

yea and look at the state of the world!

February 28, 2011 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  67. Mcaswell82

Yeah Steve White people are so weak that we need a federal law mandating we be given jobs over better qualified white people oh wait that's black people!!!

February 28, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  68. Paul

Hey, that's great that we have a Klan meeting in the comments section of the Oscars article.

February 28, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  69. Naomi

People conveniently overlook that fact that affirmative action has overwhelmingly benefited white women more than it has any other "minority." Please do your research before you make ignorant, baseless comments. "Gender" is a protected class under every "affirmative action" type of legislation. You should direct your disdain for affirmative action to the people who make such laws necessary, the majority (i.e., white men). If the majority willingly included all genders, races, ethnicities, etc. without the threat of reprissal, affirmative action legislation would be unnecessary.

February 28, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  70. Paul

@ Robert – No love for Inception? It won 4 Oscars. Btw, I loved that movie.

February 28, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  71. Kevin

Yeah, that's really hitting the nail on the head. It's not that Oscar hates diversity, casting directors do. With good reason, though – they show what their audience wants. They casted a white guy as the "Prince of Persia" fer chrissakes. But that's what people are comfortable with. They don't want to rock the boat – they just want to make back the millions of dollars it takes to make a blockbuster these days and come out ahead. No matter how boundary pushing a film might be, if they don't think it can turn a profit they're not going to make it, and that means making certain concessions in areas like that, no matter how wrong they may be. How are audiences ever going to come to accept minorities in high profile roles if they never see them there? The problem is that nobody wants to go first, and it's not like we can make them do it... sigh.

February 28, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  72. rick

Seriously, I honestly dont know how tyler perry is even on TV... This whole "wheres all the colored" people thing is getting old, real quick... Half of them probably didnt even watch the damn oscars, just want something else to complain about...

February 28, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  73. and the winner is...

For Least Intelligent on this board: This bozo. What an idiotic comment.

February 28, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  74. Reason & Logic

For your information, Persians are members of the white race. You should have said that they cast a person of European descent as a Persian.

February 28, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  75. Zen

Correct!! Most intelligent post regarding minorities. Hollywood won't let to many minorities filter in through their ranks. You can also see it in their production. Not many behind the camera either. It's not really all about whether they can act or not, it's also about giving them a job in the motion picture industry. Very very few minorities work for movie studios and making movies, and it's not because they aren't talented it's because they won't let them in. Take Hispanics for example. They are the second most populous minority in the U.S.A, but you wouldn't even know it since they aren't given opportunities in Hollywood. They are only good to play a maid or gang banger in a film. Hollywood should be ashamed of it , and that's why I could care less about the movie industry itself.

February 28, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  76. Frost

Wrong year pal...it was earlier than that...maybe76?

February 28, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  77. Cory Harris

And for the record as a black man 99% of movies made stinks rather if it's black our white. If you have not notice the money made in movies are coming from animations and special effects Toy story 3,Spiderman,Batman and Harry Potter.. This Romantic comedy crap and the King's Speech is crap for the Older generation that doesn't want to let go power no matter what the topic is politics,movies and religion your time has come to step aside and allow others to grow and show you what peace really means and art. So when said people of color don't make great movies TRUE GRIT,KINGS SPEECH you day sure don't see young people of any race going to see that CRAP...

February 28, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  78. Abstract

I for one could not agree more...Thank God Clint Eastwood didn't make another boring film or that for sure would've been "Best Picture"...our time is surely coming...I stopped watching 12 years ago after the Matrix lost to American Beauty (actually the Matrix wasn't even nominated)...a movie about a white guy jerking off in the shower and chasing his daughters best friend is movie of the year!!! Seriously!!!

February 28, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  79. ...uh, i need a name

no doubt bro. the matrix is awesome, phenominal on blu-ray. i thought district9 was fantastic, visually speaking it was increadable. alot of dialogue heavy movies just get lost in the mix, rarely stand the test of time. i think the accademy arrives at their picks by some sort of process that isn't recognizable by movie watchers. like if a movie has a built in fanbase who either loves/hates it, it goes largely ignored. maybe they try to reboot series by giving them an award. take all the sc-fi movies made since the matix, add there box office sales together and they outsell everything else by a huge margin, except johnny depp movies 'cuz that dudes is awesome.

February 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |