Randy Quaid and wife allowed to stay in Canada
February 24th, 2011

Randy Quaid and wife allowed to stay in Canada

Randy Quaid and his wife Evi have been granted permission to stay in Canada after fleeing the United States because they believed they were the targets of "Hollywood star whackers" who target actors and kill them.

According to the CBC, the Quaids — who are facing felony burglary charges and misdemeanor counts in the U.S. and are wanted on $500,000 bench warrants — applied for refugee status in October, and the Canada Border Services Agency has since dropped inadmissibility proceedings against them.

Because Evi's father was born in Canada, she was granted Canadian citizenship on February 10 and allowed to sponsor Randy as an immigrant.

"When Evi and I came to Canada last October we could never have envisioned how things would unfold and how our lives would change," Randy said of being allowed to stay in the country at a news conference Wednesday, according to the CBC. "Today we're here to say thank you Canada. Thank you for your warm welcome. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to live in peace."

For more, check out iReporter Percy von Lipinski's interview with Randy Quaid and his lawyers.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Victor

Good riddance!

February 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dave

My mom likes Eddies package!!

February 25, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. mickey

I am not so suprised.. I guess anyone who has broke the law from another country be allowed to come to Canada and start fresh..

February 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lina

When they break the law & skip out on paying bills & act crazy will they return to the good U S of A ???

February 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LAVONYA

I am an African American LADY and say he is the funniest and most tallented white person i ever seen. When i was going to Morris Brown College he put on a free show for our school. Afterwards he did a meet ang greet with the students. He is a genuine nice person. Funny as all get out !

February 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Good to hear that! I've always enjoyed his work. He was great in Midnight Express.

February 24, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. arnold ziffle

oh well. there are plenty of other good targets for the
    whackers: Joy Behar, Rosie O'Donnell, Kathy Griffin, the list goes on...

February 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. arnold ziffle

I guess he won't be coming back to Hollywood.

February 24, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jurby

Randy and his wife are both total lunatics! "Hollywood star whackers"????? Only a complete lunatic would think that kind of bs cr*p up! Canada never should have allowed him to stay in Canada and avoid having to face the charges in the US. Canada needs to boot them the h*ll out instead of allowing such lunatics any kind of asylum. I have dual citizenship and reading this article makes me extremely annoyed and ashamed to be a Canadian.

February 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. reb w

He is pretty funny. I got to agree with Jamam on that point.

February 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JAMMAL

White peoples are too dumb to even know who the tallented whiite peoples are. Randy is a talent. Not that poooo hosting the academy awards.

February 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JAMMAL

Yeah. Young people just dont appreciate his type of humor. They are just too dumb and too immature. Randys comedy is classic like RIchard Pryor and John Belushi. And me.

February 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JAMMAL

He is my favrite white actor. Almost as good as my man Wesley Snipes

February 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

Please don't say Wesley Snipes or Danny Glover and actor or acting in the same sentence. ! ENOUGH SAID

February 25, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dr. Williams

Randy Quaid knows more about comedy than all you dummies put together !

February 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. emma

Randy Quaid is a genuine incredible person. Funny as everything plus an entertaining actor. . . The yella stuff is extra runny tonight. I ll have some of that.

February 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Frank Mondana

I wonder if this wacko is right about about the whackers cause I can think of a few whackee's. If they take suggestions-
    -Justin Bieber
    -The entire cast of Jersey Shore
    -Hilton, both Paris and Perez
    -since I don't know how the authorities might react to this one I'll just say "Alaska Politician who attends Tea Parties"
    -Charlie Sheen
    -All the Lohan's
    -Mr. Flavor Flav (PhD. Esq.; he must have a few degrees from Ivy League schools right?)
    -Octomom and her Dr.

Oh hell, maybe they should just lob a few grenades during the "People's Choice Awards", that'll get most everyone.

(the above was meant for entertainment purposes and the author does not really mean the listed people should be killed)

or does he????

February 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. EmSeeDubayou

This is absurd...can (will) they be extradited?

February 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. lou manilla

I keep thinking his odd behavior is just an act. Maybe he could have took a few too many drugs or something. Hopefully he is still just trying to be funny.

February 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. lou manilla

What happened to good Randy ? He has always been one of my favorite actors and seems to be an incredible guy. He has been in a zillion neat movies. The cousin eddie role was great ! Now he really seems paranoid and a little odd. Has lost everything. I sure hope things get better for him.

February 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. karla

Never ever think you have it made.

February 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. WOBH

Introducing Tim Horton's latest employees

February 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Canadian

Welcome to Canada eh!
    If i lived in America Id want to move to Canada as well.

February 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

On behalf of all Americans, thank you!

February 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • lkl

Believe me, Canadian, you can have him. Randy and Evi are wacko. They'll wear out their welcome in Canada soon enough.

February 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |