Jennifer Lopez breaks down on 'Idol'
February 24th, 2011

Jennifer Lopez breaks down on 'Idol'

On Wednesday night, we cried right along with Jennifer Lopez.

The "American Idol" judge broke down after having to inform contestant Chris Medina that he didn't make it into the Top 24.

Medina had been an early favorite, as fans cheered for him and his steadfast devotion to his critically injured fiance, Juliana Ramos. Ramos suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident two months before their wedding.

Medina's story tugged at the heart-strings of the judges (and America) when he first auditioned. Ramos was brought into the audition room that first time at the request of the judges.

After making it to Hollywood, Medina struggled a bit and Lopez broke the news to him during Wednesday night's episode.

"It honestly breaks my heart, but you did not make it through to the Top 24," the judge told Medina. "We wish you the best with everything, we wish Julie the best with everything and we'll miss you."

The aspiring singer took it well, but Lopez had a bit of a meltdown after he left the room.

"I didn't want to have to tell him no," she sobbed as fellow judges Randy Jackson and Steven Tyler tried to comfort her.

Lopez isn't the only one having a rough time. TMZ is reporting that early front-runner Casey Abrams has been hospitalized with stomach pains and will have to drop out of the competition if he is not well by Friday.

Reached by CNN, Fox issued a "no comment" about the report.

1. jay

she cant sing

March 4, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. RedNileBlue

For "real"? Smart career move on Lopez's part. See? She really can act. Hopefully one day we'll get to watch her disappear!

February 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. marrod

Listen, don't believe the tears. Did she cry that way when Ben Afleck left her ass and then she turned to Marc Anthony while he was on vacation with his wife Dayanara and two children, he dropped everything and never returned. She is selfish and a self proclaim diva. She is known to have had people fired from a hotel in Philadelphia because the worker asked her for an autograph for her daughter. She just cannot sing and lately her music sucks. I think her husband Mark is a much better actor and singer than she is. To her credit she is an incredible business person to market herself that well with no talent.

February 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cristina

Oh, pllllease, it's all theatre – she put on a show and turned on the tears because she knew how bad she would look after turning him down. Result? Look at all the attenion and sympathy she gained – she may not be the world's greatest actress, but mission accomplished! Too bad, Medina was much more talented than the last guy with curly strawberry-blond hair that was picked.

February 25, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jaded

Give me a break! JLo could care less, she an absolute fake! Poor little rich girl, AI get rid of her please!!

February 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Victor

Something tells me she's going to pull an Ellen after the season is over and ditch the show claiming it's just too hard for her to kill people's dreams.

February 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sean-Lo

LOL this was pathetic . Jenny from the block needs to get a thinker skin. She whines, " I cant do this", lol I guess its hard for her to keep pretending she knows why she is on this show. Oh yeah, for all the mind numbing idiots who watch this crap, lose some weight and get a life.

February 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Louella

Look, whatever her talents may be, Jenny ain't qualified to be a judge and this breakdown was clearly evident. A sympathic tale of woe is not what the show is about it is about one's TALENT. She obviously took the job for the money but it is not fair to sob and allow a contestant to move on when they really may not be qualified. Simeon would have really given her a reason to cry. Stick to whatever else you do because you simply looked very foolish and wasted my time in watching a show that I like. Grow up and realize that this show is not for YOU.

February 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Toss my salad

A donkey would make a better judge than JLo.

February 25, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Hank

J Lo is all about herself and her bank account. Yes she is talented or she wouldn't be where she is today. Yes she is a shark as well, so don't let the acting tears fool you. I don't find J Lo sincere where Paula A comes off sincere. I find J Lo sickingly sweet and a mental case like so many narcisstic, controlling personalities.

February 25, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. KellyC

I'm rich( total projected sales for Q1 2.3 M$) ... and I still do things I wanna don't want to even if they cause me pain .. my job requires that .. I hope that I will not be judged in the event I start crying over my job .... that's sad... I mean I'm too young to just stay home and do nothing for the rest of forever because of my bank account ... I mean .... sometimes people I deal with hit a chord within, and on occasion I've teared up and even cried, trust me when I tell you, it's not because I'm making it about me .. I'm genuinely touched.

February 25, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. America loves to eat feces

You idiots better enjoy it cuz Idol is finished after this year.

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Louella

I agree. This is the last year or maybe last season for IDOL.

February 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • RedNileBlue

I haven't watched one show and do not intend to begin, either.

February 26, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SKY

FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY, WHY DO A JOB YOU DON'T NEED TO DO?
    WHY DO A JOB YOU DON' LIKE OR YOU HATE?
    SO NO THE TEARS WERE A PART OF DOING ANYTHING NECESSARY TO GET
    FANS,,,FACT: ALWAYS REMEMBER A RICH, RICH PERSON DOES WHAT THEY WANT TO DO....
    AND THIS IS A FACT....DON'T LET PEOPLE PLAY YOU....

February 25, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. KellyC

Holy Crap ... so many haters ... Jlo may not be the best singer in the world, but she is very talented, Steven Tyler takes the show to a whole new level, he is charming and funny, and like one poster said, Randy is even saying a lot of different things to contestants this year.. whether or not American Idol is about ratings, or finding the best singer or having cool hosts, the fact of the matter is, is that at one point feelings are going to get hurt, and just because Jennifer was crying doesn't mean ( in my opinion) that she was making it about her ... when you have to look someone in the eye and tell them they didn't make it, it's bound to hurt ... not only the person getting canned but the person delivering the news.. she is obviously an empathetic person and should not be ridiculed for being someone who doesn't want to hurt someone else. If I were a rock superstar like Steven Tyler and Jlo I wouldn't have voted Chris off, I'm sure they new that and maybe that's why , in the end Jennifer had such a hard time letting him go..

February 25, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scott

Hey J Lo, way to make him getting cut turn into something all about you... Are women born with this ability or is it something they take you aside like when you're in the 5th grade and teach all the girls how to do?

February 25, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tidy Bowl

Randy looks like he is sitting on the toilet. They should get him one.

February 25, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  17. Hank

J. Lo is such a phony – she eats people for breakfast.

February 25, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  18. Fat Loser Randy B Sayin

"...it alright dawg. Come ova my dressin room afuh duh show and let duh alpuh dawg make sweet lub to yo hineyhole. Big Randy wont sum yo fine p*ssy".

February 25, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. keith

Let just do this compare: What Ellen brought to Idol vs. what J Lo brings? Ellen who? Does anybody remember her from last year? Jennifer Lopez is CLEARLY the new star on idol...and may even be worthy of that $20M paycheck.....thoughts?

February 25, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

I would think people watch the show to watch the talent... not the judges.

February 25, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  20. johnnie f.king

IF SOMEONE DROPS OUT BRING RAMOS BACK, LOOK HOW PAULA BROUGHT CLAY AIKEN BACK AND THE REST IS HISTORY. SHE SAW SOMETHING THAT NO ONE ELSE DID, WELL ALL HIS FANS SAW IT.

February 24, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. john

Oh Pleeeeese! DIVA makes big money for her ACT. It's all crocidile tears to me.
    Can you say February Ratings Sweeps. So the guy has a tear jerker story with his
    girlfriend/wife. Exactly what the show looks for, besides the singing. He obviuosly
    does not have the chops as a singer, so this was all for ratings. You think j low Diva
    will gove him some of her bucks for his pain? j lo went home and was all better on seacrust this am.

February 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mad hater

She eats too many burritos

February 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. cotten kandi

I was actually surprised to see Jennifer break down on Idol. You could tell her reaction was genuine and she felt really bad to let him go, http://www.cottenkandi.com/2011/02/24/jennifer-lopez-breaks-down-in-idol-elimination/

February 24, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Just sayin

These comments are just so means!!!! What is wrong with you people?

February 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. whisper

Someone should have started playing Prodigys Smack my B!tch up.

February 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  26. TRACY C

I'm still wondering why he was let go to begin with..????? & If it's torn everyone up soooo badly, then bring the guy back for crying out loud...!!! He should have stayed anyway...!!!

February 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. shaye

if the other contestant has to drop out then Chris Medina can be a fill in they have done that before on the show, it was sad to chris go, I did not like Jennifer Lopez before but I changed my mind, she is a considerate human being, and got where she is thru hard work.

February 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Dick Clarks Toupee'

Get some super glue and glue Jenns fukin mouth shut permanently. Cant stand the old slag.

February 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Sherrie

I absolutely loved the show..she was genuinly hurt and i think people always try and downplay that just because she is a celebrity..You are all prob..just jealous..!!

February 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  30. karla

She is sweet. It had to be hard for her. It would be hard for anyone with any heart at all.

February 24, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dick Clarks Toupee'

Wouldnt be hard for me. A no talent bum is just that and I say "get your sorry no talent ass off my show."

February 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Pam R

Incredible, how mean and vicious people are on this pg. Jennifer Lopez is a talented and compassionate human being. Shame on those who feel they have to rip her up for it. I think she is a sweet person!

February 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Haf Dolla

Ngger please. dis sho ib ole hap an on it laps leg. Jbo cry juz to git up de ratings...SHHHH!!!!TTT...Ngger please.

February 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. lou manilla

I liked her better when she was being immitated on southpark with cartmans hand. taco taco burrito.

February 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. lou manilla

If she broke down get some danng glue and fix her. Or even better take that old kow to the glue factory and leave her there.

February 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Lulu

It's about time everyone grows up and stops the hatred and jealous snipes

February 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  35. b=dog

I call BS on this one.... she's getting paid about 12 million bucks to sit there and judge.... give her a box of tissues and tell her to buck up.

For the people that say she has no talent... I've heard her sing live without any audio filters and she's incredible.

February 24, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Beautiful Vixen

@Oh PUKE..lol. I like J-Lo, she is okay in my book.

February 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  37. rustysrage

I am witholding judgment till the rest of the cuts are made. Medina certainly has potential; and there are several that he out sang; so hopefully they get cut as well! If not, then a mistake was made. But glad they didn't send him thru just cause he has a good story!

February 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  38. VTer

Wow there is a lot of mean snarkiness in this thread. Do we have a bunch of Palin speechwriters here?

February 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. mad hater

Taco, burrito, cabbage

February 24, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Ralph

You know, she just may be crying because the Juliana Ramos/Chris Medina story is heartwrenching. She could have sent him on based on his story but felt he had to be let go. . . she seems to be a nice person. You can help Juliana too.
    If you go to the Laurus Foundation website, you will find Juliana's story and you can donate money to help her recover.

February 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Andi

For those of you who say Jennifer has not talent, check out the movie Selena. I think she is sincere because she knows what its like to want to have your dream and it is denied. I love her as a judge. She will pull it together. Team J-Lo, Steven and Randy!

February 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Hey remember she didn't sing in the movie Selena, her family said no way even though J-Lo wanted to.

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  42. lw

I found J Lo's theatrics to be a bit much. It's early in the season and she already is starting to annoy me.

February 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. taylynn

Just too much!!! Just sing for us J no need to judge.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQXlHYZu4s&w=640&h=390]

February 24, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Superhiro

Gonna have to agree with Chris. Jlo has like zero musical talent. Then again, that almost makes her fit perfectly on Idol, which is a joke.

February 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

Here's something that is not a joke. Juliana Ramos needs your help recovering from brain injury. Please go to the Laurus Foundation website and donate to her cause! wwwlaurusfoundationorg help-juliana-ramos

February 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tequilia

She is crying because there was no cheese on her tostada.

February 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  46. yayaya

amazing how she has the ability to make someone's exit from american idol all about her. moving on...

February 24, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Chris

I thought she was going to break down when she realizes that she's no judge of any musical talent.

February 24, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • kim

Well, J.Lo HAS got talent, beauty, brains and very, very successful in her own right. What have you got?

February 24, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Chris (Griffin)

She may not be much of a judge of musical talent, but she's way more qualified than you will ever be.

February 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

You are ridiculous. While she is no Pavarotti she has been very successful. I am SO glad there are two singers as judges on this show. I always thought singers would better know who has IT and who doesn't. I think she and Tyler have been breaths of fresh air. Even Randy is saying more sensible things this season. Give the lady a break- she works hard.

February 24, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • jay

she cant sin

March 4, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  48. Hmmm

What's even ickier is that Steven Tyler's tring to get some, too. Ewwwww!

February 24, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  49. Oh PUKE

LOL...look at Randy trying to console her. He just wants a piece.

February 24, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |