February 24th, 2011

David Arquette opens up on battle with alcohol, drugs

David Arquette tells all about his battle with drugs and alcohol in his first post-rehab interview on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" today.

"When I had my first drink of beer, I must have been 4 years old," Arquette tells Winfrey, according to Us Weekly. "I was down in the basement with my dad and beer was there and I just grabbed it and drank it. And I remember that. It's one of my earliest memories."

It was also the start of his lifelong struggle with alcohol and drugs.

"I seriously started drinking probably when I was about 12," Arquette says. "I stole pot from my father when I was 8 years old."

Sober since December 2010, the actor credits estranged wife Courteney Cox — with whom he remains great friends — and sister Patricia Arquette with encouraging him to go to rehab.

"I came back from Miami and I had taken a nap. I woke up and Patricia and Courteney were at my bed. Courteney had a cup of coffee," he recalls. "I was like, 'What are you two doing here together?' I already knew."

1. pletcherknq

Naughty fetch UGG Sienna Miller 5816
    are the most gorgeous and congenial sneakers and for that reason are liked by on the brink of the unitary of every era group. Express expanding pattern of uggs in craze business sales opportunities toward modification in uggs. A gobs c many of singular types of uggs arrived in marketplace right to their preferably call for close to people. In these times these are in significantly tonier sorts than before.Their higher enquire is completely due to their monumental strengths. bear differing types these are as follows. UGG Boots 5819, ugg Unchangeable Exaggerated Band Boots, ugg Ultra Quick Boots, ugg Ultra Dwarfish Le Boots, Ultra Absurd uggs, ugg Upside Boots, Whitely uggs, UGG suede tall 5230
    Habitual Lanky Metallic

These are the objective handful of kinds, lots of other people are nonetheless there which you are clever to go for from shoe markets. These sorts are determination effects deal of recognition and fame among ladies, men and kids. These sorts are so loved and cozy that everybody covet to bear them happily and willingly. These critical varieties are close by in most from the excellent and marvy merchants for the opulence and ease. Because of to their advantages folks like to effect them. Aside from the very details of loveliness and show they are also so cozy and comfortable.
    UGG Womens Classic Tall 5815 chestnut

November 30, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Marie

Well, it didn't take CBS long to cancel the show... Charlie...aren't you glad that your co-workers are now out of work.

February 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. moka

i saw this guy in a store a few years ago. he appeared to be a twit. this article doesnt dispel that impression. i will not watch the oprah interview as oprah is also a twit. a really, really annoying twit. in summation, mr arquette should take his bird faced, talent handicapped, preposterous martyr syndrome-having a.s.s. back to the slime pits of mordor and stay there.

February 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Death to all haters

I love the fact that fame and financial success are enough reason for most people to dismiss and ridicule another human being's hardships and experiences. Sleeping and falling in love with Courtney Cox isn't something he was gifted, it's something he earned and experienced in his life through actually working at it and knowing her as a real person. If you feel no pity for this man simply because he had had success is some form, you know nothing of making a success of yourself and harbor resentment to others. Should I not sympathize with your hardships simply because your job is better than mine or your wife more attractive? Should it inherently be me who has those things in my life just because I "deserve" it? Man: We are a sorry excuse for an animal.

February 24, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Breckgirl

I grew up with a pair of alcoholic parents. Not fun.
    When my in-laws tried to pour a "few sips" of wine into glasses to give my young sons during a holiday meal, I stood up and told them that it was not acceptable to me. They looked at me like I was nuts. I was right.

February 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. susanna king

If he had any class he would keep his personal life privet

February 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Egotripen

I have to give the guy credit. If he is willing to say he has a problem and changes that problem more power to him! I hope and pray he does not rebound back to his old ways.. I say keep your head up and stay strong!!

February 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dan

I started drinking at age 6. Big deal.

February 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jon

Well Arquette, whatever you did, you did. How's about stopping it completely and becoming a man??

February 24, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike Henderson

nice story-sober since december isn't long at all,he is probably stillon a pink cloud.He needs to take it slow and try not to make his amends too quickly and not to get too far ahead of himself for addiction is a daily battle and complacency takes over when you pat yourself on the back too much when your in your first year of recovery.Good luck man and take it slow and don't isolate or stay in your own head too long.

February 24, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bookldy209

Too many of you comment without having walked the walk. Imagine tomorrow morning if you awoke and suddenly realized never again could you have even a casual drink of wine with dinner and friends? It is a struggle and one it took me years to recognize that I began at probably 12 or 13 myself. Having said this, it is still our individual responsibilty to maintain our sobriety which I do and have for 30 plus years. Some people say they make a decision and all is fine. I will say for myself that everyday is a struggle and a need for a meeting. Yet I hold down a career, mortgage,marriage and family and make no excuses. Just saying it's tough and you need to cut him some slack for acknowledging.

February 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. people just suck

david rocks..every one else needs to go suck it...

February 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • rockondavid

I really like him! I find him very entertaining and pleasing to look at. I especially like his quirky personality. All the best to you David! Hang in there and know you do have supporters and fans out here that reallyl care about you.

February 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Julian Assagenstein

I would say that he turned out to be pretty successful for a guy with such a horrible (not) childhood.So he had one drink of beer. It didn't kill him now did it? Oprah's nose trouble is acting up again

February 24, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chi-Town Observer

The Arquette women are all good looking; David on the other hand, is very ordinary looking guy but he was married, incredibly, to Courtney Cox who is a beautiful woman. His grandfather, Cliff, was a terrific and well liked entertainer. No wonder David drinks. He personally has nother.

February 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Janice

Who gives a F*** about him. He has money to buy drugs, booze and to party meanwhile my rent is too d@mn high! why should i feel sorry for him

February 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. also_ran

For those who have been through a divorce ...

Imagine if someone stuck a microphone in front of your face immediately after the split. Especially if you're the one being left. I promise it wouldn't have been pretty ... The guy does need to go into the mountains somewhere for about 6 months, and get away, but the guy's obviously in a bad place because of the divorce.

February 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. speedro

Hmm. He seemed kind of high in that segment. Plus, he could not look at Oprah and just spoke to some point out in the distance. Strange.

February 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. justwofuny

Similarities: Black and Gay: both like luscious bootays!!!

February 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. TOM

Never even heard of him before today that's how famous and important he is.....just like me.

February 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Brad1001

What a pansy ...

February 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Numbersdontlie

Many parents used to put whiskey on baby's gums for teething. Ambesol has drugs in it. Big deal about the memory. I used to take sips of my dad's beer all the time when I was little and if I drink 12 beers a yesr that's alot for me. My siblings as well. non of us are "drinkers" and we all had the same whiskey and beer growing up.

What surprises me is that Courtney was very very careul about going into marriage an they even went to counseling. It surprises me that this was a battle for him, unless he hid it well from her.

February 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • True but..

It depends on your genetic makeup. My mom has no addiction issues whatsoever however alcoholism, drug abuse and a lot of other stuff runs in my dad's family. He abstains from alcohol and anything that can trigger an addiction even something like chocolate. So he probably has that issue in his family and that would make it easier to have the battles of addiction.

February 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. wickedcricket

he's so lucky courtney cox ever even spoke to him, much less married him
    he's led a charmed life, looks like the charm has worn off

February 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Weary of Whining

Gee, my heart bleeds. Send me your money, Mr. Arquette, so you won't be burdened by it. Then grow a pair and act like a man instead of a spoiled brat.

February 24, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. laurie209

Waht a crock. Sneaking a sip of dads beer in the basement at 4 years old started him on the path to alcohol and drugs. This guy is just bizzare. Cut with the stories and admit that you are immature and just need to learn how to grow up without excuses. know one is interested, Just grow up.

February 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Luxferrer

It figures only dumb chicks would post that this guy was actually a "good" actor. Oh, I forgot how many academy awards he's gotten. Look, Courtney Cox couldn't act if her life depended on it. She's dumb and hot and was perfect for an idiotic show like "Friends." See any of her film roles and if you think she acts well, you should probably consider going back to school because you're dumb as a box of rocks.

February 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • wickedcricket

'dumb chicks'?! really? did you time warp here from the 1950's?

February 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Luxferrer

He was banging Courtney Cox and lost her. Too bad he didn't OD on heroin so we'd only have to hear about his guy ONCE MORE. Dude, you can't act, you lost a totally hot chick, and you don't know how to handle getting high properly. You're a freakin' loser!

February 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Alex

WHO CARES ABOUT THIS IDIOT!

February 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Well, apparently you do. You took the time to click the link to the story, MAYBE read the article, but doubtful, then commented on it… Just a little logic is all.

February 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. GeorgeWBushi

Isnt this the guy whose brother became a girl?? "Alexis" Arquette. No wonder he drinks. Shocker!! Yet another dysfunctional hollywood family.. The Lohans are pieces of work as well. Good grief..

February 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  29. markus

this guy is so full of it. anything he can say to try to get some sympathy now that everyone knows he is a slimebag...

February 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  30. justwofuny

"What are you two doing here together? I already knew." Yeah you knew, Courtney and Patricia on your bed together..yummmm...

February 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Pab

He mentioned Howard Stern in the interview, I'm sure that chicken Oprah edited it out.

February 24, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. justwofuny

He was doing Cox even back then!

February 24, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Dan

Yeah feel sorry for him because he is a star. If it was anyone else all of you that is saying poor David would be saying what a loser, etc. People are sick and tired of all these people getting the special treatment and the law/courts just give them a pat on the hand where as if it was anyone of us would be sent to jail and do the time. We won't get them letting us early because the jails are full etc. All these people such just drop dead and save the air for people that actually know how to live.

February 24, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  34. PeterD

Nothing New. This is very well known. This is every American family life story. It is an Ameican Culture.

February 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jeeper

It's Clinton's fault

February 24, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. HomerSimpson

Ok, the guy is no Laurence Olivier & has been in a bunch of duds; however, if you want to watch a really good flick that he was in then rent "3000 Miles to Graceland"! I guarantee you will be glad you did. Courtney Cox happened to be in it too (she played a great rednecky tramp....her BEST work. A surprisingly good movie it was. He played a smaller part, but you can't say he wasn't in any good movies! Kevin Costner, Kurt Russell were the stars in the movie & Cox had a major role too. A Frickin good caper movie!!!!!

February 24, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. JARAD

Is this even news worthy... lots of people have the same life minus the big hollywood paycheque.. For once I'd just like an actor to disappear for a while and then re emerge.. not put there addiction in front of the world..

February 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • tjc360

Is this even news worthy... ? Why are you here then, get a life.

February 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arquette is a Pus

I have never seen one movie or show that this guy has been in. Why do you insist on going on Stern and Oprah and vent your demons? We don't care. You're not doing this to "help" anyone!. You are doing it for sympathy

February 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ginger

He's gay? Seriously?

February 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  39. ficheye

Tell me, author, how do you reconcile the conflicting statement "estranged wife Courteney Cox — with whom he remains great friends"? They're either 'estranged'. or they're not. They're either friends or they're not. You can't have it both ways.

Just say 'ex wife'. We'll get the picture.

February 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Dan

Has he ever done anything worthwhile?

February 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  41. thedbs

I liked him better when he was an addict.

February 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Somebody

We have become a nation of excuses. Drugs and booze did not make him an asshat. Think about it, I can't stand seeing him on the TV for 2 minutes but he has to live with himself – I'd drink too.

February 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  43. HomerSimpson

And another thing....I wish ALL addicts luck in living a sober life.......but even then I don't owe them sympathy. I wish them luck in their recovery. These people during their addiction lifestyles wreak havoc on everyone in their path with no regard or respect for anything. Clean up & stay clean but don't expect sympathy from everyone.

February 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  44. JRLawyer

To the Author:

Estranged means they are no longer communicating. It is a total contridiction to say "estranged wife" and, in the same sentence, state "they remain great friends."

February 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • robert

I assume that you meant to type the word contradiction, JR "lawyer."

February 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. HomerSimpson

justanotherhuman....So Mr. Einstein we're the idiots because we are not addicts! What kind of MoeRon are you? Good luck to all the addicts in the world, but I'll bet you anything half of the Hollywood flakes who claim to have problems with drugs or alcohol do so because their careers are drying up & they need a publicity jolt to get them back "in the news" & onto their next gig!

February 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  46. bobby jonz

Would we ever even know this dud if it werent for his hot and actually talented sisters?

February 24, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  47. justanotherhuman

ok, morons... he's not 'crying' here. addiction is a very real thing, which obviously is something most of you idiots have never dealt with, or have never tried to clean up. props to David, for coming forward to try & inspire other people who relate.

February 24, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  48. HomerSimpson

Dudes & dudettes, it is all about publicity. The more shocking the statement the quicker the maladjusted nut job gets his next gig! Regardless of his talent level he'll still get a nice payday in the next crappy movie or TV appearance he is in. Shoot he's laughing, drinking, & smoking all the way to the bank. This Oprah gig (where he's going to make all those Oprah watchers weep.....what a pathetic group) is going to get him "back in the saddle"!

February 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Lizard King

@Debbie sorry we are no as perfect as you with spelling and grammar. Maybe we should all bow down to you and kiss your almight golden a $$. Please do tell what else you are perfect at. Hmmm maybe you can tell us how it is to walk on water since you think you are without fault and are perfect in every way, as perfect as Christ.

February 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Phil McKrackin

How in the world does this D-List "actor" get press????? ANY press?!?!?!?!?!?!

February 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Um, because people like you show interest in thta "press," by commenting on it. The irony of it has me laughing at your stupidity.

February 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  51. TrudyBird

To all the people here complaining about the media giving this person attention. What do you think this forum is? This is a media product you're commenting in. YOU are part of the reason the topic is carried on. He is a celeb wyhether you think he is a good actor or not. He has a story to tell that might help someone get treatment of addiction. It is said, "People are as sick as their secrets." When you share a sucessfull, healing experience, then you are giving away something good. This is what I see him doing. Good luck to him and his recovery. It's a difficult road to stay on on day at a time.

February 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  52. LarryLar

I've never laughed so much at a bunch of posts. Every one of you needs to get together and start a sitcom.

February 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Ken V

I have never even heard of this guy before reading this today

February 24, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. BRAD

It is amazing that so many people out there have such perfect lives that they can make fun of other peoples problems that they struggle with in life... what idiots!

February 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ The fruitcake bachelor BRAD

No one said they were perfect. You just assumed that. So we have to be perfect to make fun of other people? Have you ever heard of TROLLS? Get a clue you useless person.

February 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Dina

David and Lindsay Lohan should be helicopter dropped into a poor village in Bangladesh without food, water, or shelter. They will then understand the true meaning of life struggles and how they lucky they are to live here and to have the money that has been provided to them for there lackluster "acting" skills. I don't want to hear another story about a celebrity loser who tries to sell his book and/or new movie by publicizing his "struggles" and cycles of "rehab." It is so old and too common to have any effect on the public. David, Lindsay, and whatever other crybaby is going through rehab...please overdose so that the news can show how we can help people in a true state of need.

February 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Alina77

"Arquette started drinking at age 4" Don't we all? Oh, you dont? Oops.

February 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Marsha

A lot of celebrity kids grow up with money and that's it. No love, no guidance and no boundaries. Gotta feel kinda sorry for people like this. I didn't grow up with money and still live paycheck to paycheck but my parents loved me and my siblings. Shame he had to become an addict. He has a daughter and that should be his focus, his "addiction" if you will.

February 24, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  58. SoulTrain1943

If I were to meet Mr. Arquette, I'd ask him what pee tasteslike.

February 24, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  59. james

Didn't Mackenzie Phillips do heroin at 3 from her father? So pretty boy here doesn't win the award. Got to do research before you try for the sympathy, pal.

February 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  60. jean

wait, did mike vick turn into a white alcoholic?

February 24, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  61. WAHHWAHH

Ughhh.....another crybaby!!!

February 24, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • rachele

The crybabies are crawling in through the windows here today. One wants to vomit.

February 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  62. SaltyDingo

The reason it seems to happen to actors and musicians is their lifestyle. When they are working they are WORKING! 14 hour days, seven days a week. Then when their project is over they either jump into another....or are stuck sitting around doing nothing. They can't go to the store without someone stopping him. Even for an actor that really hasn't done very much in a long time. DA will always be known as the wacky brother of Patricia and Rosanna. He can't be that well off financially...he's never been an A-lister...but everyone knows him. BTW- sometimes these actors are "whining" as part of a strategy to get back on the front burner so they can get a job.

February 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  63. jesus xhrist

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

February 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  64. JD

Hey, Amy...just cuz someone has an opinion you don't agree with, doesn't necessarily mean they suck. Guess that's what free speech is all about. Get over yourself.

February 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jiggered

He's Cool!

February 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  66. lando

Where's the killer from the scream movies.david needs his help!!!

February 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Debbie

Well ,while you guys are crying a river for me to drown you in, some of you just might want to learn to spell. HOLE?? Did you mean whole? estrogene? It's a hormone not a gene, it's Estrogen.

February 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Crazy

I heard he liked to snort coke from his buddies hairy butts.

February 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your name here...

I for one like my buddie's hairy butts!! :)~

February 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • lou

thats some gay stuff "guy who won't leave name". i guess its a new century tho right. people can say gay as hell stuff on cnn right? i think you have more than a little interest in guys hairy butts....... no straight man in america would make that gay as hell comment

February 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  69. mad hater

Drugs and booze are cool

February 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  70. ShockyShah

I heard he was a jerk-off

February 24, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  71. oh really

How many of you have significant memories from the time you were 4? I wonder if a "therapist" helped him recover these memories.

February 24, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

The average age of a first memory is three and a half. Four isn't an uncommon age for a first memory at all. Don't you remember anything from that age?

February 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Actually...

That being the average age means that there will be some who can remember before or after that age. I myself cannot remember squat. Most of my memories are a blur. However my brother has memories from when he was 2 years old. He'll tell my dad about the stuff they did together and truly remember it. It depends on the person however generally speaking that is the rule of thumb...

February 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

I remember playing in the clothes pile in the laundry room while my mother was doing the laundry. I was asking her about the man on TV who came on every night to tell how many Americans were killed in Vietnam and what all of that meant. I asked her years later if she remembered it and she did because she got a phone call the same day about her great uncle dieing; I was two months shy of my fourth birthday.

February 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Ken

This "gentleman" has not done a single piece of serious acting or done much else to warrant one iota of the attention he seems to get for his boozing and general loser lifestyle. It's is frustrating how the media continues to feed on itself by promoting and discussing generally useless individuals of this nature. While Ms. Winfrey and the rest of the media could focus attention on more serious or deserving issue and/or individuals, they instead throw resources and time and people like Mr. Arquette who vainly attempt to put themselves in the "victim" pose in hopes of saving what little career beyond reality shows they have left. If Mr. Arquette were to vanish tomorrow in a drug induced hazed, would anybody care?

February 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

His family and friends would care... and that's all that matters. I'm sure the world in general wouldn't care if I died.

February 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • xstongue

If I was his daddy I would have filled his baby bottles with Jack Daniels as soon as I got him home from the hospital. He such a loser, who made him a star anyhoo?

February 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  73. B=Dog

All the people on here talking s*** have OBVIOUSLY never been in love before.

February 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Susie

The article says he's been sober since Dec. 2009. I thought he just recently kicked drugs and alcohol in December 2010?

February 24, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Marco555

My mother used to prop me up on the counter while she cooked and give me half a glass of beer. i turned out fine. Not an alcoholic and no grease burns.

February 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  76. tracy

I found his story very inspiring. I believe there are a lot of other people out there that been through an upbringing and life similar to his. If him telling his story inspires other people to escape the bondage of addiction that would be a wonderful thing.

February 24, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Beautiful Vixen

Gosh this man needs to grows some b@ll$ and stop being a baby. Sorry if my oppinion/comment comes off as being hateful but all you hear from him is crying and whining like a wounded dog. It seems as though he has to have someone hold his hand and do everything for him. What woman wants to be with a man that's a cry baby...sheesh.

February 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Well...

It beats men who bottle everything up, are so hung up on the ideas of what being masculine is to the point that they explode and hurt others around them. He's being open about the struggles he's had. You have a screwed up sense of what is appropriate/inappropriate behavior of a male.

The fact is he and his siblings had a less then pristine childhood and it affected them and they're open up to admitting their faults, history etc.. it's really not that big of a deal.

But hey yeah go with the "macho" guy but I'd be damned if I'd let some guy get physically abusive or violent at the risk of shedding some tears...

And that's not insanity?

Really?

February 24, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  78. nv

It's so disturbing to see the hate coming from so many people. Have you walked in his shoes and know what he experienced as a child. Just because someone has money doesn't mean they don't experience pain. It's sad that people take any opportunity to bring others down on these comment boards. We are all just human beings, trying to make it in this world. Let's show some love. Love to you David and to everyone trying to make it in this world.

February 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • tim

i guarantee my shoes are way more difficult to fill. i mean, at least i struggle to pay for my addictions.

February 24, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Al

It sounds like he had a very rough childhood and family life. It also sounds like he is an addict who is trying/did get help. You never know, his story might inspire someone else who is struggling to get help. So, good for him and good luck to him and his family!

February 24, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

@forensic – Glad to see you can admit compassion and intelligence is usually found on people with boobies. Way to go, caveman! UGG!!

February 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • RenaP

When forensic looks at the bra section in the Sear's catalog he grins and says "look – boobies"

February 24, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  80. portalpunk

Any guy who goes on Oprah is going to say somthing stupid, she spikes the water with estrogene.

Next he will start yammering about doing the baby sitter when he was 10. Poor baby

February 24, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • haddieknuff

@portalpunk-Kudos on the estrogen in the water comment! Priceless!
      I swear it's true. No real man in his right mind would go on Oprah's show to begin with.
      Sick of these damn crybabies.........can't they just heal out of the public eye? We don't need all this crazy info- so he sipped his daddy's beer at age 4........OMG.....getting back to simply thanking you for the laugh of the day!

February 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  81. qwspoeh

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa...............nobody loves me...................waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

February 24, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • chele

Oh c'mon, suuuure they do! Santa loves you and the Easter Bunny loves you and the Tooth Fairy loves you too! But only when you're a very good little boy.Daddy only drinks because you cry.

February 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  82. banasy

What kind of father did he have, pot lying around where an 8-year-old could get it? And what kind of father doesn't do anything about a 4-year-old swilling beer?
    He really should just be quiet, though. He *is* irritating. And to think David Arquette replaced Michael Vick on OW when he wussied out.

February 24, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • jesus

obviously a cool dad and one i wish i had right now

February 24, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh yeah

Arquette started drinking at age 4 – He took a sip of beer at 4. "Lying around" for an 8-year-old could be in a drawer in dad's bedroom.

February 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  83. 4x4 Jeep

@cheefsfury lmao ..that would be flippin funny. i agree.while at it put charley sheen in there with them.

February 24, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • xstongue

Charle couldnt handle five women like his daddy could, they wanted more, and he ran off complaining of a tummy ache...

February 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  84. DB

OMG – cry me a river. I've had it with this self indulgent, immature, piece of work. Get a life for crying out loud. Start contributing to society instead of being a whiny little man.

February 24, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  85. cheefsfury

I THINK WE SHOULD PUT HIM AND LINSAY LOHAN IN A ROOM FULL OF DRUGS AND BOOZE FORA FEW DAYS THEN TAKE IT AWAY AND FILM THE HOLE THING IT WOULD HILLARIOUS

February 24, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • BanOne

Film the HOLE thing? Yikes. I presume you mean David's. Lindsay's has already been captured on film TTBOMK.

February 24, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

How could you leave Charlie Sheen out of that suggestion?

February 24, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

You're an idiot.

February 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • speedro

The "HOLE" thing? Way to immediately ruin your comment credibility! Too bad for you that spell check doesn't also have an "I am an idiot and misuse words" function.

February 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  86. LBW

I don't have a lot of sympathy for him. He has lived a charmed life all his life. His whole family is famous and he hasn't worked hard a day in his life. If anyone can afford to get help it is him. Quit whining.

February 24, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Dorian

He's a human being who has troubles. Sound familiar?

“Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.” ~Buddha

Good luck, David.

February 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Buddha is outdated.

February 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

The Buddha-dharma is eternal.

February 24, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • speedro

What could you possibly know about this man's life? Also, what whining are you referring to?

February 24, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

You obviously didn't catch Oprah. The family (Kids) were abused by their parents. Dad was a drug and alcohol user and physical abuser, mom stabbed Rosannah, and choked Patricia until she blacked out among other things.

Sure, he should have kept all these things in until he explodes and goes beserk, right? Like these he-men do until they kill their family's. Sure, don't complain a little. Let the little woman carry all the emotions until she erupts with all that crap you hate, until she has to go outside to someone who'll show some kind of emotion and understanding. Of course you'll be standing there scratching your he-man head with a duh! Wa happened? Or grabbing a bat and blaming everyone but yourself.

February 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Macie

Having a parent who allows a child access to beer at 4 years old, and then pot at age 12 does not sound like a charmed life to me! There had to be something going seriously wrong in that household. Fame and fortune doesn't make good parents and it doesn't guarantee a great childhood either.

February 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

how do you know he hasnt worked hard a day in his life? adiction effects every class rich to poor. becouse his family has money we should think less of him. everyone has problems. i understand where your post is coming from. its very easy to become jelous of people who have more then us and then when we find out they have problems to take it out on them. there was obviusly backround issues here. if he was stealing pot from his dad at age 8 and drinking regularly at age 12. i would guess he has other mental problems.

February 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitt Cairn

As usual, many, many comments about alcoholism from folks unfamiliar with the real world of we alkys. It's okay, we understand that it's easier to fault folks for what may appear to be a moral failing than to take the time to understand the world we live in. I had many years of therapy for $50 an hour, but I couldn't get a grip on things until I was in AA, where meetings cost me a buck, and the coffee was free.

And there will be responses to this post about the failings of AA, which do exist. But I am among the ones who have been able to stop drinking brcause I started hanging out with sober people who understood how hard it is to stop when you are a certain type of alcoholic. By understanding my own shortcomings, and learning how to deal with them, I am better able to handle other people's shortcomings as well. Including those who will ridicule my post.

February 24, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I'm an alcoholic. I've just gotten out of rehab. I've had a charmed life compared to most (great friends, family who loves me, numerous educational and career opportunities) and I've still struggled to control alcohol since the day I started drinking. Having everything or nothing does not dictate one's physical, chemical, and psychological dependence on drugs or alcohol. It IS a disease. All you can do is keep those who suffer in mind and pray they find peace through successful recovery. The end result is the same...it will kill you, regardless of socioeconomic background. Don't judge others when you haven't been there. It is ugly. Good Luck, David.

February 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • blah

Your 100% right. Does he know how many guy's would like to just say HELLO to Courtney Cox? Let alone sleep with her? He's a multimillionaire who's been with lots of Hollywood women. Sorry, no sympathy here.

February 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  87. actually

While we're on that note, he also needs to open up on the fact that his acting sucks.

February 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  88. amy

i have always loved this guy in movies..i wish him the best recovery and all you negative people are really the ones who suck..get a life..

February 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  89. angelad496

My sentiments exactly Amy....you guys suck...get a life. At least he had the ball$ to admit all of this...you all hiding something yourselves?

February 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  90. actually

Yes I am hiding something. angelad496, I am your father.

February 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  91. straight people are inferior to ALL GAYS

He will admit to being gay when dumb closet cases liek yourself with nothing better to do with their time stop accusing everyone of being what you are: a pathetic, low rent, undereducated ignorant closet case.

February 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  92. xstongue

He would just blame that on his daddy too! He probably has a tramp stamp just like Miley and her daddy does..

February 24, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  93. sure

straight people, you sound insecure.

February 24, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Metropl

Why would suggesting he is gay be negative? It's either true or not true. It's only negative if you see gays as inferior. If I called him black, you wouldn't say it was negative. You would say it was wrong.

February 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Charles

I have it up to HERE with David, Lindsay and Charlie. Who Cares??

February 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  96. To the Haters

Wow, seems to be a lot of trolls out posting. Good luck to you Mr. Arquette on any and all of your endevors with work and staying clean. It takes a lot of courage regardles of any personal life factors you may have to admit there's a problem and then get help. From one human being to the other I say "God Bless You".

February 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Choconet

Metropl was the commenter really suggesting that David is gay or was he accusing him of being gay? It sounded a lot like he was accusing! As if David's addiction has more to do with him being a closeted gay. Instead of comparing being black to being gay as inferior, why don't you look at how people accuse people with addictions or people who act strange of being a closeted gay. (e.g. Tom Cruise) It’s that association that causes one to think of gays in a negative light. As if you act strange or your an addict because you won't admit your gay. OH AND STOP COMPARING BEING GAY TO BEING BLACK!!! ITS INSULTING! Just like comparing slavery to the Holocaust! No comparison its apples and oranges, just not the same thing.

February 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Numbersdontlie

What does having or not having a life has to do wit replying to a post? You replied, are you saying you don't have a life?

All most of us were saying is that MANY people use excuses on why they are like they are. All I am saying is you can be four and have memories of alcohol and NOT have the problems he has.

HE needs to get a life. That is what the problem is, he has alcohol running his life and using the fact that his dad didn't freak when he took a sip of beer at 4. I highly doubt that sealed his fate.

Here's a scoop, most dad freak for little things. That is a little thing and insignificant.

His whole perspective is like if Oprah said she was 10 lbs when she was born and that determined her weight throughout her life. We know scientifically that birth weight has nothing to do with a person's weight for life.

That's all I was trying to say. A cop out.

February 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Numbersdontlie

I agree. What does being gay have to do with anything and who cares unless you are interested in dating him?

Unless he is ashamed and that caused his problem. No one should be ashamed of who they are.

February 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Jo

I agree. He and Drew Barrymore. Just because they started partying as kids (8) it is a cop out. They had the resources to get themselves together. Just because they were surrounded by drugs and booze, They didn't need parents. It is a cop out.

February 24, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Jo

Oh, and more importantly. the lovely surroundings. Their parents.

February 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Numbersdontlie

Oh, I didn't get the "partying at 8" version......

I got the drank from my dad's beer at 4, STOLE POT from dad at 8, and STARTED SERIOUSLY DRINKING at 12 version of the article.

It is a cop out to imply it was dad's fault because he drank some beer from his father's at 4. He didn't claim dad partied with him nor that his dad gave him pot. He called himself a thief.

Drew Barrymore PARTIED with her MOM at 8, not that that was mentioned in the article version I read above either. You must have gotten the longer in depth version of the article.

I stand by what I REALLY SAID, not what anyone THINKS I said..... it is there black and white.

February 24, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Numbersdontlie

I really need to read that version. I didn't read about anything else except the beer when he was 4 regarding his parents. Anything you assume is just that, assumption.

Drew Barrymore I get. We saw pics of her and her mom partying and her drinking at 8.

That's why I think mentioning that his consumption at 4 was a cop out.

February 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  104. chele

i totally agree, numbersdontlie.

February 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |