Oscars won't let Banksy attend in disguise
February 23rd, 2011

Oscars won't let Banksy attend in disguise

The jig is up for Banksy. The British street artist, who until now has hidden his identity, has been denied permission to appear in disguise at the Academy Awards, where his critically acclaimed documentary "Exit Through the Gift Shop" is up for an Oscar.

"The fun but disquieting scenario is that if the film wins and five guys in monkey masks come to the stage all saying, 'I'm Banksy,' who the hell do we give it to?" says Academy executive director Bruce Davis.

According to the Guardian, Banksy likely will not attend Sunday night's ceremony at L.A.'s Kodak Theatre, but will be in the area.

"I don't agree with the concept of award ceremonies, but I'm prepared to make an exception for the ones I'm nominated for," Banksy, who counts Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie among his fans, said of his Oscar nomination. "The last time there was a naked man covered in gold paint in my house, it was me."

1. Christopher Thompson

Take a look at the NEW Banksy Doc here http://www.howtosellabanksy.com/

February 25, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Brangelina

Apparently, they are now saying they will allow him to come, so we'll see what happens. I hope he shows up and does something hilarious. It would be such a bummer if he doesn't win or he does win and then he's not even there.

February 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. derp

If nobody knows what he looks like, couldn't anyone show up and say they are him?

Just sayin'

February 23, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. cheefsfury

BANKSY WONT SHOW UP CUZ HE DOENST WANT ANYONE TO KNOW HE IS JAMES FRANCO

February 23, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Boring

Typical Hollywood. "Awards shows are meaningless..oh wait, I'm nominated? I take it back. They have meaning and I want to go." Hypocrite. I'm glad they said he needs to show up like the rest of the nominees or not at all. The last thing we need is some pretentious "Banksy Egg."

February 23, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pea Shooter

I hope he shows and the little kid mows him down.

February 23, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. JUDYANN

Newsreporters proctects its sources. I believe this talented street art / graffetti artist should be allowed to attend in disguise and be protected

February 23, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Who's Bansky?

February 23, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. BEAVIS

I hope he shows up in a really cool egg like lady gaga. He also should wear a meat suit. Folks sure would talk.

February 23, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bob

I am half-hoping he shows and half-hoping he doesn't...!

February 23, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. Riot Cop

Check out the other Banksy move here http://www.howtosellabanksy.com

February 23, 2011 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. johan

this was amazing thank you.. Increasing your web traffic submit your site link http://www.directoryark.com

February 23, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |