Justin Timberlake: I'm not a jerk
February 23rd, 2011

Justin Timberlake: I'm not a jerk

Maybe it's no coincidence that Justin Timberlake was cast as cocky Napster founder Sean Parker in "The Social Network": The singer-turned-actor tells the March issue of Interview magazine that most members of the movie industry assume he's just an arrogant pop star.

"What’s been more of a battle for me throughout the process of moving into acting is that I feel like I have to keep reassuring people that I’m not an a—hole," says Timberlake, who interviews actress Amanda Seyfried in the magazine. "There is a stigma that comes from being on stage and being a musician."

That's not to say that being in the music business is any easier.

"Whatever you do as a musician, no matter how good it is, somebody somewhere is going to s— on it," says Timberlake, whose singing career is currently on hold. "You put your heart on your sleeve, and what will happen will happen. But it’s like that for any artist. You do a painting, you take a photograph, it’s the same. That’s how artistry works."

So are you convinced that Timberlake is really a nice guy?

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Music

1. Jen

Happy Friday Everyone!! Smile!! LOL

February 25, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. karla

Everyone has a little a hole in them.

February 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. WLM

I like JT.. He is talented. If you had people up in you a$$ all the time you may become a little arrogant, but arent most if not all actors/musicans???

February 24, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. NurseGizmo

Hey, hey...JT is far from arrogant. I mean, good grief he could strut around like Kanye West. Now THAT is an arrogant jerk.

February 24, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. SouthFLLady

I never met him, but back when he was in N'Sync, my friend's daughter adored him – so another friend of ours got her into a meet and greet. He was very withdrawn while being asked questions, and didn't even stay to talk to the attendees or sign autographs. Needless to say, her adoration ended that day. He's good with music, so-so with acting... but always seems arrogant in interviews. Unless you're a celebrity, don't plan on getting much interaction from him.

February 24, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Ditto

I had a meet and greet with him as well and he had a "headache" and didn't take photos with us. I was 12 and really disappointed, he didn't look up at me when he signed my photo jacket either. JC was sweet and called me sweetie or hunny or something. That was a good childhood memory :)

April 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marco555

This kid's actually turning out to be a great actor. Couldn't tell you about jis music.

February 24, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Twowolves

I don't listen to his music, but I like Justin based on his SNL appearances; he's always involved in some wacky skits and clearly having a good time even at his own expense. Oversized ego doesn't allow for that level of fun. Of course, whether he's a good guy or not truly has not impact on my life at all, so more power to him either way.

February 24, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Wolverine

Gee whiz. Maybe he will were a skirt, knee socks and blouse for ya next time. You know u want it.

February 24, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. johnRJ08

The problem that I've had with Timberlake has been his over-exposure and relentless self-promotion. I realize he's trying to launch a new career in acting, but I'm still tired of seeing this guy's face nearly everywhere I look. I suppose it was predictable that a singer whose popularity is waning would want to get into movies, but he's such a rock brat I can't stand watching him.

February 24, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Adam

If you have to come out and openly and explicitly tell people "I'm not an arrogant jerk", the statistical odds of you actually BEING an arrogant jerk are probably fairly high. Just sayin'.

February 24, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Adams AppleBottom

And with comments like that you would probably enjoy Justins TimberProbe ramming your bunghole.

February 24, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tee

I worked with Justin on a Nickelodeon project several years ago – nice guy – fun and funny!

February 24, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Homestyle Gravy

Meat jerking all night long!!

February 24, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jimmy Rigsby

Back in my day everybody was nice to each other. In fact, they still are. I don't know what all the fuss is aboot.

February 24, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. Derek

I really don't care what he is. Never a fan of his singing and his acting is not that great either. Who cares?

February 24, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Bustin Lodes

You do, Derek. Big time. With all your heart and closet queen soul.

February 24, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. lou manilla

I have known him for many many years. He is both smelly and smelly. Often times forgetting to use deodorant he stinks up the whole office.

February 24, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Schmoe

The word "forget" does not fairly characterize Justin's deodorant non-usage. The word "forget"implies that he meant to put it on and was just absent minded.

The fact is that he doesn't use deodorant at all, and that is by choice!

He confirmed it to Jimmy Kimmel on the air. Here is the link ===> http://beanstalkbiz.blogspot.com/2006/10/timberlake-reveals-secrets-justin.html

February 2, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. George Clooney

I love Timberlakes music and would allow him to give me an enima.

February 24, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  16. emma

JUSTIN AND BIEBER A SITTING IN A TREE. K I S S I N G.

February 24, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. wally

Justine is a sweet little weeeiner toucher.

February 24, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  18. WCW

I think Abdullah could take The Shiek.

February 24, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. keb

i dont think he is. he reminds me too much of all my brothers. in one person

February 24, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  20. MarToon

Timberlake is a real jerk. I heard that he once went to ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER'S fine eatery in Atlanta, Georgia. He started to make a scene and throw a real hissy fit. At that point ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER grabbed him and carved his forehead up with the fork, and JT was a well behaved young man from then on.

February 24, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  21. Stephen

I enjoy JT's music..dined at his restaurant in NYC many times but I've heard that he is indeed an a**hole.

February 24, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  22. Haloone

The son of a friend of mine worked with Timberlake. He is, indeed, a jerk.

February 24, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  23. Mel

Justin, saying "I'm not a jerk" to yourself over and over doesn't change the fact that you are. Good luck with that.

February 24, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  24. steph

So sometimes he can behave like a spoiled celebrity. I would too if I could get away with it. But he seems like a fun guy. Alot of his arrogance comes from being so damn hot. And BTW Janet Jackson sucks, has for about 10 years now. Only the media was offended by the Superbowl boob flash. No amount of boobie can resurrect her music career. If it weren't for Tyler Perry, she'd be on Celebrity Apprentice with LaToya. So to sum it up, Justin is hotttt!

February 24, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  25. Meh

Let us know when you've actually produced some art

February 24, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  26. DJ

He's got my vote as a nice guy. I've seen him on countless interviews & late night shows...he's down to earth, hilarious & very confident in himself. Nothing wrong with that!

If you've seen him on SNL skits or his recent rapping with Jimmy Fallon, you will know right away that he is not shallow in the least.

I hope to see him on SNL this season & doing more funny stuff. His comedic side is just as talented as his music & dancing abilities. A true artist!

February 24, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  27. Holly

I didn't really think either way based on what I've seen of him. I've been a fan since NSYNC and I could see how he could come across a nice guy but also as a jerk. I think the most recent thing that turned me off him was at the MTV awards when he was presenting with two guys from The Social Network and he completely cut off their lines and interupted them. You could tell they were excited to be there and present and Justin Timberlake shot them down. I don't think being a total d is really out of his league.

February 24, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  28. wally

He is ! He is a jerk ! And works at the fudge packing factory in the recieving department.

February 24, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  29. Bob in ATlanta

I'm sorry. I thought he knew he was a jerk. Did Justin go to therapy and have a break through? Come on, Justin, you've been a jerk and more. It's good to grow up, just don't lie to yourself.

February 24, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  30. QoosQoos

I Remember As A Child I Seen JT On T.V And He Had Britney In His Arms Butt Naked Running And Jumping Into A Pool. He Was Naked To. Hes Not A Jerk :p.

February 24, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  31. Longshanks

Ah, sure he is.

February 23, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. alaska ron

he's not an a hole....he's a lil beyotch

February 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Devin

Hmmmm it's hard to imagine how anybody who wants to be taken seriously after a musical career jump-start in N'Sync could be anything but a jerk. Makes sense if you think about it, he probably still has nightmares of those days LMAO

February 23, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gracie

N Sync made a whole lot of money... I'm sure he is really sad about that. Was their music deep, spiritual and poignant? No. But, they made fun, catchy music for teenage girls. What do you want kids to listen to? There's nothing wrong with a fun pop song now and again...

February 24, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  34. get a life people

You know justin and janet were both happy to flash her boob. Publicity sales good or bad.

February 23, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. K

I don't think i like black people anymore. They smell like corn chips. But, curiously, i still like corn chips.

February 23, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  36. beto

he really thinks that what he does is art? jerk!

February 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Justine Timberline

I totally agree with love child, doesn't it look like a pretzel? A really, really, really, really small pretzel?

February 23, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Debbie

It is not a prejudgment because he's a musician, it is behaviour. He really is an arrogant jerk.

February 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Daddy

Lousy singer!

February 23, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mommy

Justin is a jerk!!! He walks around like his bleep doesn't stink!

February 23, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. D

February 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lynn

Only JERKS say no to Glee!

February 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  43. JAMAL

:) pretty good preaching huh ? :)

February 23, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Art

If a white person were to call you by what you are, they would be called racist. Oh, that's right... You are still slave bound.

Plus you can't even spell. You need to leave the gang and finish school.

February 24, 2011 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  44. JAMAL

He is too a jerk. A nasty weeiner toucher.

February 23, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Lola

That's right. He's not a jerk. I love him. He's more talented & more humble than Justin Bieber. I never bought his music but I loved his acting in The Love Guru & The Social Network. I hope to see more of him on the big screen. He's a just great guy with a fabulous personality. You have a sh***y day..he makes it all better. Capiche!

February 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. D

LOL

February 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Francis R.

He's a good kid.

February 23, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  48. T3chsupport

Oddly enough, he's one of the few pop stars that I always thought was pretty nice and genuine.

February 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  49. D

yes he did...

February 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  50. TLD

To me, he was a jerk after the Superbowl "wardrobe malfunction." He let Janet Jackson take all the blame for it. I never once heard him stand up for her and say that it was just as much his fault as it was hers.

February 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

Well said! I agree with you 100%. I have always thought that and even now the media still mentions it every year at superbowl time and that a...hole still doesn't say a thing about it.

February 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

That's true. Because according to BOTH sides, the idea to remove that boob cup was a last-minute decision and Timberlake didn't know she was going to have nothing but a piercing underneath. She was tring a Madonna thing and it blew up on her. It's not hard to see how stunned he was when that happened.
      Not that I care about him, in fact I like Janet more. Just sayin'.

February 23, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trudy

I agree. After the Superbowl fiasco, I felt differently about him. No, it is not his fault that people treated him better than Janet but the fact that they did does not surprise me at all. Unlike those who have the luxury of pretending that the history of gender and race, and prevailing negative stereotypes of Black women (accompanied with a myriad of other factors) do not exist, I am not afforded such a luxury. I cannot pretend that that was not a factor simply because it's icky or uncomfortable to think so.

Timberlake ducked and covered to preserve his career, and that makes him a jerk to me. Why? Because Janet said that they were FRIENDS prior and I take friendship incredibly seriously. It's not just someone on a list or social media site to me. I define the word how it was originally intended and treat people that I label in such a way accordingly.

Even so, I never found his personality or demeanor to be comfortable. It always seems forced and unexpected, and not in a good way, but an untrustworthy way. If you have to keep proving that you are not a jerk, perhaps it's time to look inward and see what it is that more than 1 person sees. I doubt Hollywood sees him as a jerk just because of stardom...it's Hollywood...they are used to stars. Thus, it must be something more than that.

February 24, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Wardrobe Malfunction

You are a real dumbSH!T!!

February 24, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  51. mad hater

Wasn't the interview supposed to be about Amanda

February 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  52. diego

You are not a Jerk Justin. You are an..........

February 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  53. D

I'M BRINGIN $EXY BACK!

February 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. skchs77

Let's remember that self-confidence can often be misconstrued as arrogance. He practically grew up in the public eye and I think he seems to do well at staying balanced considering. I also think he is a great actor and should be given more opportunities to show it.

February 23, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  55. rock5769

who cares

February 23, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  56. nicoli

Yep Hes An A Hole

February 23, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  57. JT

I said no...

February 23, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Drew

I am no fan of teeny bop pop. I like stuff that's soulful, meaningful, and sometimes difficult to hear and watch. So please take this as an endorsement from far afield of the typical long-term Timberlake-liker. To wit:

This guy is extremely talented, and deserves to be taken seriously as a dramatic and comedic actor. He's just spot on in nearly everything he does, and comes off as a truly warm and genuine person.

February 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  59. asiamama

if you have to defend yourself by saying that you're not a jerk, chances are you really are a jerk – or come off as one. He seems arrogant in a lot of pictures and interviews.

February 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Well said, Asiamama. I was going to post the same thing.

February 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

To asiamama – so because he says he's not a jerk, that means he IS? What a STOOPID piece of logic that is!!! Hmmmm....I am NOT God's gift to women....I say it, so the opposite MUST be true, huh?

February 24, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  60. shannon

I like him seems nice.

February 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  61. cheefsfury

CRY ME A RIVER

February 23, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Dan

justin timberlake, kiss my @ss. Tip your waitress.

February 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • raps

I witnessed him not wanting to pay for his parking at a hot Hollywood hotel. He actually was a jerk in that instance, and drove away w/o paying because he's Justin timberlake.

February 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yo

I'm pretty sure he's not cheap by normal standards, but since he's famous ppl expect 1000% tips. And who the fck WANTS to pay for parking. And really, if JT was staying at your hotel, why on earth would you charge him for parking..

February 24, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  63. KD

Isn't everyone alittle bit of an a–hole sometime? Who cares if he is? People aren't one dimensional, even celebrities.

February 23, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  64. jillmarie

I obviously don't know him, but I'm a fan and he comes across as a nice guy. He's certainly talented. And cute!

February 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Lesley

JT isn't a jerk at all. I've also had the pleasure of meeting him and he was extremely nice and personable.

February 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  66. justin

He's not a jerk. He is just upset and irritated. His d**k is in a box! Let him work it out on his own.

February 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Denise

I never got the impression that Justin Timberlake was one of those snooty famous people, even way back when he was with Nsync. Things like that always come out eventually, but Justin is constantly coming across as a person who likes to have fun and tries to do as much in performing arts as he can.

February 23, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Jeff

It may not be the best way to measure it, but I take a celebrities ability to laugh at themselves as an indication of their personality. It doesn't just mean telling funny jokes, but to literally turn it on themselves. Justin's appearances on SNL, and his commercials for various products which often poke fun at himself, have set an impression upon me that he's probably a pretty decent person as far as celebrities go.

February 23, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jennygirl

anyone who plays a booger on a cartoon sitcom cannot be a jerk. rock on, justin!

February 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Mike Mazzla

From what I see and hear he seems to overall be a good guy. He doesnt get in trouble and he is pretty hilarious on SNl so it seems like he has a sense of humor. But most of all I have seen him interviewed with his mom and he really seems like he doesnt want to embarras her and she brought him up well.

February 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Malik Malook

He may not think he is a jerk, but he does give the impression of being arrogant.

With regards to his music, not everybody likes everything and some people will of course always "s– on it".

February 23, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • DV

Why is it that if we're talking about someone we like, it's "confidence", and someone we don't like, it's "arrogance"?

February 24, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  72. emelki1968

What a hard live he has. After what happened in the Superbowl with Janet Jackson, how is the one that has been treated like a star? Oh yes, the white guy! Also, if somebody saw last Award show -I am not sure if it was the SAG- where "The Social Network" was rewarded for best picture, his made a low voice comment that tell us just what he is...an a#$%le.

February 23, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Seriously? Cause he's white? You sound like one of those people who's always the victim and blames most of their problems with money on race

February 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

It's not letting me post what I want to say, but I agree with you emelki. Those who know and experience racism, know full well what's going on. Those who don't, resort to denial and attacking the messenger.

February 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Yeah, that's not racism. Perhaps you should look up the definition. Also, you are clearing injecting your own biases into the comment rather the agreeing with "Emelki", as his sentence was not coherent or literate enough to be understood by anyone.

February 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Yeah, that's not racism. Perhaps you should look up the definition. Also, you are clearly injecting your own biases into the comment rather the agreeing with "Emelki", as his sentence was not coherent or literate enough to be understood by anyone.

February 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

emelki1968-you're delusional and you don't make any sense. Grow up and go back to class.

February 23, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bryan

Its clear our educational system has failed you and for this I apologize...you should look into 'Hooked on Phonics' (just copy and paste it into google since its apparent you wouldn't be able to spell it.)

February 24, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Clearly you haven't seen him hosting the ESPN Awards, or his multiple hilarious appearances on SNL! Seems YOUR logic that he is a jerk is because after his appearance with Janet Jackson, he was treated better than she was...so...because OTHERS treated him better, HE's the jerk???? Some people on here are swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

February 24, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
    • KC

Oh get the f* outta here. How is it "racist?" Janet Jackson is still a star in her own right and was before that. No one cares about that Superbowl thing. That's not the worst incident that's happened in the last several years. Look at all the crap Lady Gaga or other people do onstage now. That whole boob fiasco is PG compared to nowdays. Get off this racism kick. Everything is not about race.

February 24, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Oh his statement is clear and true. Justin didn't protect the woman who gave him his shot he threw her under the bus. I guess that's what a man with a rumored four inches and insecurity does. He's not that good an actor look at his movie choices. He should stick to music OH wait he hasn't done anything in a while cause he thinks we will forget what he did to Janet.

February 24, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • PLAYED OUT

Wow only a racist makes every issue about racism. EVERYONE knows about racism "Michael" every color is subjected to it in one ofrm or another.
      And the whole black thing is nonsense these days. Get over you. We have a black president and the number one box office draw is Will Smith. OBVIOUSLY we are all on equal footing and all have the same opportunities. And people like you two are the ones that perpetuate the problem. Whining when at times there isnt anything to whine about. Take responsibilty for your own lives and do something rather than blame the world for being the losers you two are. Nowadays your complaining is simply used as a tool to get things handed to you rather than earn it on your own.

February 24, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Gracie

Thank you "PLAYED OUT"... totally agree.
      Why is everyone SO intent on playing the victim?
      And Emilke... what? What was that jumble of words?

February 24, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • ScDiva

I have to agree that Justin Timberlake has been the one treated better since that unfortunate Superbowl wardrobe malfunction incident. He's White. His music career soared. She's African American and her career pretty much tanked because of poor promotion of her material. Her then boyfriend stated that her record company stated it would not stand behind her CD 20 Y.O. Years later she has still had to endure questions about that situation while he has never been harrassed about it the way she has. Both of them were at fault, her for making the decision @ the last minute & him for going along with it. I wish this was a world where it did not matter but it does unfortunately. To each his own.

March 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  73. DHARG

Justin is no A–hole. I had the pleasure of meeting him a while back when MTV was doing their SNOWED IN. He is a polite gentleman. Just because they are a star does not mean that they are snobby...it is the one's that are snobby that give the good guys a BAD NAME!

February 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Superhiro

I believe it. He founded Napster.

February 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  75. jus

Man the good man above have mercy on your twisted soul. It does not smell!!

February 24, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |