Drunk with love for 'Glee'
February 23rd, 2011

Drunk with love for 'Glee'

It would be way too easy to say I blame the good time I had with Tuesday night's "Glee" on the alcohol.

No, I wasn't drunk, but just about everyone on the show was, and that made for hilarity and hijinks. "Glee" is one of the few shows that can take a subject as serious as underage drinking and have some fun with it.

It all began with Rachel's desire to live a more exciting life in order to help with her songwriting skills. (Seriously, that headband-based tune was pathetic.)

So she decides to throw a house party given that her two dads are away on a Rosie O'Donnell cruise (more on her later). In the meantime, Principal Figgins wants the glee kids to do an assembly to help spread the word about the dangers of underage drinking.

Rachel's party is initially a bust, despite her lady of the manor attire and two wine coolers, until Puck breaks into the liquor cabinet. Then it was all drunk foolery, including a breakdown of who was which drunk girl, a spin the bottle session that caused a major Rachel/Blaine smooch and a great duet between the pair of the hit Human League tune from the '80s, "Don't You Want Me."

Now let me address the critics here: I know a lot of people are going to say this whole topic is way too serious for "Glee" to have taken so lightly. But keep in mind, this series is not an after-school special.

This is a show which has Kurt insisting to Rachel that yes, Blaine is actually gay and dismissing her "Blaine and I have so much in common" remark with a curt (embrace the pun here people), "A sentiment expressed by many a hag, by many dating a gay."

So let's just say that "Glee" is extremely different and doesn't exactly play by the rules.

Back to the recap: The gang continued drinking in school and practiced a version of "Blame It On The Alcohol" while Mr. Schuester ended up drunk and singing with Coach Beiste in a country western bar before he drunk dialed Sue. It was enough to make your head spin, even if you weren't watching while sipping a little something something – not that I was.

I was already giggling by the time we hit the Alcohol Awareness Week assembly, where the gleeks gave a slightly tipsy performance of  "Tik Tok" by the artist Principal Figgins referred to as "Ke Dollar Sign Ha."

Kudos to Brittany for her awesome performance and her deadpan delivery of the line "Ke$ha’s been a cultural icon for weeks, and I really want to do her music justice," and shout out to Principal Figgins for swaying angelically in the audience.

I was jamming right up until the point Brittany vomited on Rachel. Wow.

It all ended well with the group signing promissory notes to Mr. Schue that they won't drink while preparing for competition, and he vowed to quit drinking too, although the students insisted that he might as well since he doesn't have much going on in his life anyway. Double wow.

I promised to get back to the Rosie O'Donnell mention. The former talk show host has made disparaging remarks about the Lauren/Puck romance telling "Access Hollywood," “Every woman I know who's heavy has very strong feelings about that storyline."

Ashley Fink, the actress who plays Lauren, told The Advocate she plans on taking the matter up with O'Donnell.

"If I see her, I might be like, 'Woman, let's talk about this. Don't be jealous 'cause a big girl's doing her thing on 'Glee,'" she said laughing. "I love Rosie and I respect her opinion, so all I can say is that some of her comments were strange to me."

What did you think of last night's episode? Let us know with an iReport or leave a comment below.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • Ke$ha • television • TV recaps

1. Harrison Brundige

Distilled beverages bottled with added sugar and added flavorings, such as Grand Marnier, Frangelico, and American schnapps, are liqueurs. In common usage, the distinction between spirits and liqueurs is widely unknown or ignored; consequently, all alcoholic beverages other than beer and wine are generally referred to as spirits.,;^..

Check out all of the best and newest piece of writing on our very own blog
    <http://www.calaguas.org/index.php

June 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Deirdre Angier

Traditionally home-made, wine coolers have been bottled and sold by commercial distributors since the early 1980s, especially in areas where their lower alcohol content causes them to come under less restrictive laws than wine itself. Because most of the flavor in the wine is obscured by the fruit and sugar, the wine used in wine coolers tends to be of the cheapest available grade. .

Look into our new blog as well

April 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kconley

hey guys watch and like my video audition for the glee project!!!

October 3, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rodrigo Rodriguez

Great post! I actually just read an interesting article about Glee on Ourstage, definitely worth a read: http://www.ourstage.com/blog/2011/3/28/the-glee-rebellion

April 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ashleigh

I just watched it. It was awesome...
    Brittney did a really good job on singing Ke dollar sign Ha.. x)

March 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gail kay

I loved the episode and thought it was the best of the season. But then I love just about everything Darren does including lending his voice to Life of Leopold http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1086805167/life-of-leopold-part-1

February 24, 2011 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Leigh swimmer

OMG!!!! I just saw this and it was soooooo funny... A difinate must see.......WOW!!!

February 24, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • wow

Are you seriously posting this on every Glee review site out there? Stop, trying to make Darren Criss happen. You're just making people (me!!!!) hate him with this excessive stanning.

February 24, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Jumbo

Darren likes to fill his mouth with butt rockets.

February 24, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kristen

*hear...

February 24, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kristen

The article didnt mention anything about how Sue played the drunk dial over the PA system for everybody to here and the one little Cheerio chick went bananas on the xylaphone lmao

February 24, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. sharky

I watched it and was bored. Sometimes it was slightly funny but you are taking a serious subject like this, underage drinking given so many people die from it or overindulge and have poisoning and frankly the episode just made it look like a joke. It was so superficial, it was utterly pointless to even have the episode when it was such a serious subject matter. It made teen drinking or underage drinking look like fun except for some hangovers, but it provided no serious view at all about the subject when it is a serious topic. Utter failure.

February 24, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

Uhh... news flash, teen underage drinking is fun except for the hang over. Its a RARE occasion one dies whether from drunk driving or from alcohol poisoning. As far as I know every episode has a lesson to be learned and JUST LIKE ALL THE REST they learned it. Lighten up, its TV. you want to teach your kids about the frightening realities of drinking then dont leave the responsibility up to a TV show. DO IT YOURSELF.

February 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. D

I don't get glee

February 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. em

last night's show was as funny as a root canal with no novacaine. what IS funny? All the creepy adults who are raving on the internet about how entertaining it was to watch a simulation of underage drinking. Hope you're all chuckling when it's your kids.

February 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheresaG

I normally really enjoy this show and watching it with my daughter..but when I was an underage teen I drank way too much and was VERY lucky nothing worse than a nasty hangover happened to me. I was hoping they would have shown the slide show or SOMETHING that shows the BAD side of what teen underage drinking can do to people.

February 23, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • DD

I'm 40 years old and watch this show with my teenage twin sons. We keep it real in my house, and what they showed on Glee is mild in comparison to what my boys say really goes on in high school now. Shoot, it was mild in comparison to what was going on when I was there. We watched, we laughed, and we DISCUSSED. And yes, stupid drunk people are funny in an embarrassing sort of way (teens and adults). Makes you realize how you DON'T want to act.

February 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Beth

My 14yr old daughter watches this, I hate this show but last night was funny, I'm glad my daughter made me watch it.

February 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bioscotto

I appreciate that instead of preaching at us, they instead handled alcohol and drinking in a very real way. People are going to do it. They should do it responsibly. If you don't, you'll end up looking like an idiot and puking on people. Of course, they're a little to light handed to get in to the whole "If you drink too much, you could kill people and yourself" thing, but they imply it strongly more than once...very well handled.

February 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lucysmom

Get your facts straight, Rosie did NOT make disparaging remarks about Ashley Fink. It was a different member of her radio show. Rosie actually said Fink is beautiful and talented. Thank you. Also, this episode rocked!

February 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sean

I'm still laughing at last night's episode. It started with Figgins saying "Kee-dollarsign-ha" and continued all throughout Rachel's party (Santana was hilarious!) and all the way to Brittany projectile-vomitting on Rachel then advising everyone to drink responsibly. I feel like Blaine has been leading Kurt on a lot and I'd love to see the tables turned for once. Last night was epic and definitley my new favorite. Can't wait for the return of Gwyneth!

February 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cheefsfury

IT WAS A BLOODY PSA

February 23, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. DougB

I know this is Happy-go-lucky Glee, but I still feel that they were treating this subject with a bit too much glee. I wish they took a harder edge (i.e. mention of a car accident or something). With all that said, I loved the Blaine/Rachel Duet and and the Schuster/Beastie Duets. And who knew that Finn knew what the word "archtype" meant! Wow.

February 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sasha

Loved the episode. Loved the songs. I found it a wee perdictable, but as my roommate says, that may be just me. The Blaine/Rachel part was a good level of halarity. Nice seeing good guy Finn back instead of pompous jock Finn. May sound weird but I wished the spin the bottle would have went a bit longer then 2 turns lol. Also the show went from overusing emma to underusing her. You find yourself going "oh yeah!" when you suddenly see her after her being gone for so long. Brits vocals were awesome. I know most people will disagree with me but I kinda hope that Mr. Schue and Coach Bieste date. They are so adorable together. All and all 4 1/2 stars for lastnights alcohol induced ep. Since they already did a drug ep last year, this year drinking, not sure what is next for light and serious topics on the show.

February 23, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • I left a butt weasel in your vegetable crisper

Im drunk with gooberGlee love. GayGLEE is wonderful all those hot boys kissing and going assSpelunkin!! YUMMY. I want some fuudge on my weiner.

October 3, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |