Clooney: I've done too many drugs for politics
February 23rd, 2011

Clooney: I've done too many drugs for politics

He may play a dirty presidential candidate in the upcoming drama "The Ides of March," but in real life George Clooney would never dream of running for office.

"I didn't live my life in the right way for politics," Clooney, who has been approached by the California Democratic Party, tells Newsweek. "I f—ed too many chicks and did too many drugs, and that’s the truth."

And telling the truth, he says, is key for any campaigner. A savvy politician "would start from the beginning by saying, 'I did it all. I drank the bong water. Now let's talk about issues,'" says Clooney. "That’s gonna be my campaign slogan: 'I drank the bong water'?"

Clooney is currently focusing his energies on helping the people of South Sudan achieve independence from the northern government of Khartoum and applauds fellow stars who use their fame to fight for a cause.

"There is more attention on celebrity than ever before — and there is a use for that besides selling products," he says. "A lot of the young actors I see coming up in the industry are not just involved, but knowledgeable on a subject and then sharing that with fans."

« Previous entry
  1. HLPeary

Run, George, run! Mass. Senator Scott Brown, the GOP narcissistic poster boy, was a chronic shoplifter and nakled centerfold exhibitionist...that's what gets elected these days...don't let a little drug use hold you back! Just say you stopped and the masses will hail your redemption and give you a vote!!! Unlike Scott Brown, you have actually accomplished some substantive things for other people...

February 25, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. dryhole

I say it again, Clooney's a punk. I'd like to see him talking smack to Hestron's face 20 or 30 years ago.

February 25, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. TOO DANG OLD

His age is really starting to show. George is looking tired, old, too-skinny-yet-still-flabby, wrinkly, and grey. I'll pass.

There's too many young fresh hotties in Hollywood especially with all these new Marvel superhero movies (Henry Cavill as Superman, Chris Evans as Capt America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor).

February 25, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Galis

Real galis

February 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SaintPetersburg

I'll see this movie. Ryan Gosling is incredible in everything he does. And I can't help but think that Clooney met with Obama to pick up on a few of his gestures, since he is playing a presidential candidate. In fact, in the picture he looks like he IS doing one of Obama's gestures. We've seen Obama do that countless of times.

February 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Katie

Lova ya George, but not the language or the information. It's great you want to help people, but your money could be spent in the US. We already have so much money going to other countries, and there are a lot of people in the US who need help. MAKE MONEY IN THE US, SPEND MONEY IN THE US.

February 24, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. cliff

HMMMM, a person who read the script for "The Man Who Stared At Goats" and decided that it was a good idea, with the launch codes of our entire ballistic missile system. Ok, go for it, George.

February 24, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dr Funkensteen

LOL...Clooney is givin himself a "dirty Sanchez".

February 24, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. Fred Flintstone

Clooney isnt qualified to be Grand Poobah of the Water Buffalos let alone President of the USA.

February 24, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. SKY

HE IS A ACTOR – – – – –

HE IS A ACTOR!

February 24, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Magic 8ball

George is thinking..."Shut up Barack and pull down those pants. I wanna service the Presdential Hogg".

February 24, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. David

It's funny that he refers to women as chicks.

February 24, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Matt S

This is a guy we need in the White House ASAP!!!!

February 24, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. jim

I have often wondered how the U.S. wound up with so many f__ked up politicians. Reading these comments (and bearing in mind that these posters probably vote) I now understand. The political Science teacher was right, people get the government they deserve.

February 24, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. DeMarcus FootShew

Up yawn Honkee. Us Nggers b takin ova.

February 24, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  16. Outkast

If Justin Bieber is expected to keep quiet about social issues, why are we listening to Clooney talk about political issues? The leftists in our nation loves to silence their opposition and promote those that hold their own views (even if, like Clooney, they're not qualified to speak that much).

February 24, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  17. Mr Sticky Buns

mmmm....do me again George.

February 24, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  18. Granite Sentry

Well that's refreshing. He should stay out of politics not because of past behavior but because of his present inability to see the truth on any subject. http://www.granitesentry.com

February 24, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. anony

"I f—ed too many chicks...."

Hmmmm. "Chicks" and who else did you f—k, George?

February 24, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  20. Octavius Humpfree

If George would exhibit mo blackness ya know mo NggerNess I might boat fo him.

February 24, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  21. Garfield

Yawwwwwwn..... I don't really get along with George Clooney, when he got baked he always came to my house, and ate all of my lasagna.

February 24, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  22. Help for Haiti

Clooney is just another of these smug hollywood azzclowns that beleives just because they can memorize a script that they have something relevant to say. Well GSpotBoy get your ass over to Haiti and take that smelly Fergie with ya. They need ya much more than we do.

February 24, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  23. Eddie

KUDOS to George for being "so real." Thanks for your sincerity to honesty and for using your intelligence to focus on the tragedies of our world. To quote Deepak Chopra...When you realize you're a human being who sometimes makes mistakes, you won't get caught-up in the illusion of self-importance. Nice job!

February 24, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Kudos to Eddie

Keepn real brutha YO! You just another dumb ole NGGER that voted for Obama. PIECE!

February 24, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  24. Chi

Mr. Clooney, I recommend the following slogan, "I'm a pot smoking atheist, and I want your vote!" I will vote an honest, rational person, before anyone who says what he or she thinks "mainstream" people want to hear.

February 24, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  25. Glen Campbell

I crop my hair like lettuce.

February 24, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  26. Kanye West

I would sure love to cuddle with Mr Clooney and have a big mouthful of his summer sausage.

February 24, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  27. H2O

More like Clooney drank the ding dong water. But him being gay isnt the issue here. The issue is with his limited lack of intellect running for office is out of the question.

February 24, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  28. Justin Bieber

I wish George would slide his Clooney up my tailpipe.

February 24, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  29. Sharp

Actually Schwarzenegger did own up to an article on group s#x in an old weightlifter magazine. The media pretty much suppressed it at the time. I don't think a Democrat would fare so well.

February 24, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  30. Uncle George

Clooney being gay isnt the issue. He is just another of these hollywood pseudo intellectuals, like Sean Pennis, who think they should stick their nose into affairs of which they know nothing. I might let Clooney stick his nose between my ass pillows for a breath of fresh air but thats about it. Go to hell Clooney.

February 24, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • dspoorman

Uncle George, it always seems to me that the first person who mentions that tired old uninspired cliche insult of "pseudo intellectual" is the one feigning to know something. I mean, it assumes that you have the intellectual credibility to spot the "fake" intellectual and I'm willing to bet that you have absolutely zero specialized and elite learning under your belt. If I'm wrong, tell us all something about your academic bio and give us a little peek at your high-powered thinking ability. Just wow us with something insightful. I'll readily apologize for doubting you if you can do that.

February 24, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  31. dspoorman

Funny how the people ripping on the great George Clooney can't even write in decipherable language. Look at ironman1's post:

"first of all who in there right mind would even vote him we one moron in office we should don't need a nother one in there"

Let's break this train wreck of the English language from remedial ironman1 down just for fun...

"first of all who there (try 'their") right mind would even vote him" A couple of things are missing here but most notable is this thing called a question mark.

"we one moron in office" Huh?

"we shouldn't don't need a nother one in there" Say what?

Hey ironman1, why you not don't type stuff any here? Try 8th grade get back in.

February 24, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  32. Reddog

I don't know about f-ing a lot of chicks, but Bush the younger didn't seem to be bothered by his past drug and alcohol use. (Didn't seem to bother the "family values" hypocrites either.)

February 24, 2011 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  33. PaulBoomer

I bet Pat Boone never drank the bong water.

February 24, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  34. Tim

George, you're not supposed to drink the bong water!

February 24, 2011 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  35. Peter E

We had a president for the past 8 years who was an alcoholic and did cocaine in the 70s. Before him we had a president who smoked pot and burnt the American flag. Our current president doesn't have such major vices so the mass media made up some for him anyway. (like the media's continued fueling of baseless rumors that Obama is a muslim and was not born in the US)
    Reagan himself was a divorced president (but shhh! Don't remind the right!) who AS president sold weapons to Iran to fund terrorists in Nicaragua, all the while arming the mujahaden in Afghanistan. (who later became the Taliban)
    You can be president with almost any skeletons in the closet these days.

February 24, 2011 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  36. bobdevo

I would vote for any politician with the smarts to admit drug use and agnosticism/atheism. Anyone hwo beleives in supernatural being should be banned from high office.

February 24, 2011 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  37. Pat

I have always hated George Clooney.
    Until I read this article.
    "I drank the bong water, now let's talk about the issues."
    Man, that it fn priceless. George, consider yourself redeemed.

February 24, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  38. Bodonno

C'mon Clooney, did? As in not doing those things anymore? As if. I'd actually be disappointed in you for wasted opportunities if I thought it were true.

February 24, 2011 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  39. woogaa

Mr. Clooney, why not let the electorate decide how much drugs is too much?

February 24, 2011 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  40. helenecha

Um, most likely that Clooney's knowledgeable on a subject is what mosquito once looked the bar.

February 24, 2011 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  41. ironman1

February 24, 2011 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  42. R.S.

Interesting. The many and varried ways of feeling out the public on their opinions. Can't just out right ask. It must be couched in sympathy and feelings. What a joke.

February 24, 2011 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  43. Doug

I'm pretty sure he didn't do anything Bill Clinton did.. he's just more straight-forward about it! "Drank the bong water".. ha ha ha!

February 24, 2011 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  44. LisaLisa

George is simply AWESOME. From interviews to photos the man is simply in a league all by himself. George, you rock baby!!!

February 24, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  45. dspoorman

As a fellow Kentuckian, let me say that I love George Clooney! One of the coolest! Keep up the good humanitarian work Mr. Clooney and thanks for putting a good light on the Bluegrass State. Absolutely loved The American. Let me know if you're ever in Louisville and you want to fire one up! (I've been to Maysville, by the way, beautiful little town.)

February 24, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  46. dspoorman

Testing, testing... One. Two. Three. Do you have to insult somebody for your post to go up?

February 24, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  47. dondondon

I don't care if he has done 'too many chicks" , whatever that means (like having too much money ? ) and whats wrong with drinking bong water ? what , are you supposed to pour it down the sink? except for his role in "the American" he is my vote for pres...just not against Obama...and what would be wrong with an actor pres ??? oh yeah, there was reagan...............but he never drank bong water...

February 24, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  48. Linda

Wow. He'd make a great democrat. He's not only conceited, he knows everything. I'd really like to see Ashton and Demi in the white house. That would be cool!

February 24, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  49. its_true

...the thing thats funny is... If he ran, he would win.

February 24, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  50. Mike Bender

For once a guy is willing to be honest about his past. We should be so lucky to have someone willing to tell the truth, and not play mind games. We could use someone like that helping run this country.

February 24, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  51. DLAD

As usual people are looking for Jesus Christ to run the govt. Oh yeah look where religion gets us, wars pedophiles hypocrites etc... Even Jesus had a secret relationship with Mary Magdelene. Get over it folks no one is "SIN" free. The sooner we realize this and start putting shorter/capped term laws in place, holding the people who WE hired accountable for their actions or lack there of and oh maybe someone who actually has a clue as to what they were hired to do and not for a personal agenda, the sooner things will start to get better out there. By your standards Mr.Venger, all politicians should be relieved of their duties immediately. Remember where they get the majority of their campaign funding. Don't you think they feel beholden to those folks as well.

As far as Mr. Clooney running for a political position. GO for it! I think most people want someone who isn't afraid of telling the truth when confronted. I think thats the key, don't tell unless asked and when asked tell the whole truth. Its none of our business what you did before in your personal life and its not my problem who you sleep with today, thats the partners problem. If our govt apologized, in the beginning, for the screw ups in Afghanistan and Iraq we would have solved the problem already and we would have forgiven the error and moved on.

You've got my vote Mr. Clooney.

February 24, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  52. unretired05

He didn't do anything other politicians did, he is just willing to admit it .Way too honest to be a politician.

February 24, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  53. gtsmoker

That won't stop certain members of Congress from calling him to testify as an expert witness when they want to form public opinion to meet their special interest agendas.

February 24, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  54. John J. Puccio

Does anyone here actually read the articles they're commenting on? Clooney is a fine actor, he's trying to help people who can't help themselves, and he says he is NOT running for office. How can people argue with that unless they just want to mouth off and argue for argument's sake? Or is it just ignorance and fear that makes people bitter, the same problems dividing our nation right now?

February 24, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  55. Shafidee

Billl Clinton took acting classes before running for President. What does that tell you?

February 24, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Thespian Clinton

It tells you that at any funeral he can go from happy to sad at the mere presence of a TV camera. Bravo acting lessons. Bravo.

February 24, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  56. docin02

It doesnt say anywhere in the article that he wouldnt run had he not f'd too many chics and done too many drugs. So to extrapolate that from what is there is far reaching.

February 24, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  57. docin02

Didnt W and Obama admit to doing coke? Since when does doing drugs in the past prevent one from becoming president? Not that i want to see Clooney or any other hollywood idiot become president.

February 23, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Idiot in 2012? WHY?

You're saying that it's okay for the president to be an idiot, but you have a problem with the idiot being from Hollywood. You just don't want a geographically challenged president. Shame on you, docin02. You are a zip code racist.

February 24, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  58. Uhmerican

I'm pretty sure he realizes that he can actually do more with his celebrity alone than he could trying enter politics given the outstanding rate we get things done in America. As for his "gayness" who f'n cares? He could be rainbow colored, have 3 teats, a tail and a unicorn's horn just as long as he helps the cause.

February 23, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Ken

If Clooney were gay, in the closet, hate gay people and in politics he would be a Republican. If he were gay, out of the closet, ok with gay people and in politics he would be a Democrat.

Seems very clear to me, he's a Democrat.

February 23, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Massive Marbles

...funny...I don't recall an angel ever winning a Presidential election in the United States, nor are we "EVER" likely to find a candidate credentialed as such.

February 23, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  61. shaines

Oh good grief! We complain when people aren't honest, yet expect everyone in politics to be the virgin Mary! No one can be that perfect and be human!

February 23, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  62. bollocksboy

I drank the bong water?!!?? That's awesome!!!
    That's disgusting, I love it!!!

February 23, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Batman

I'LL SAVE YOU CLOONEY!!

February 23, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Calimafia

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, a man after my own heart. Pass the roach, sweetie.

February 23, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Bobby D

I think SUPERHERO here is in his mom's basement jer**ng it to comic books!

February 23, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Terrified

Who needs or wants to know that he has f-ed too many chicks or at all. Just by saying such a thing he totally turns me off. No respect for himself so how could he have respect for anyone else. He is on a trip right now, high, that's why he believes he is doing the world so much good. He should go home and plow the fields. What an embarrassment he is to America, If he wants to gain any favors stop what he is doing and keep his big egotistical mouth shut about drugs & chicks.

February 23, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Rick

Never drink the bong water...nuff said

February 23, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  68. rose helen myers

i'll try this again,,,,,,,,,,ronald reagan was an actor

February 23, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  69. rose helen myers

hence you forget,ronald reagan was an actor

February 23, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  70. billythegoat

Clooney/Sheen in 2012!

February 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  71. dave pizzola

Wake up everyone,who cares about george clooney.

February 23, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. dryhole

Clooney's a punk, I'd of liked to see him talk smack to Hestons face 20 years ago.

February 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  73. BaybeeJaysus

Drugs are bad, but what's really unforgivable is those couple of hours slogging through The American I'll never have back.

February 23, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  74. David

At least he is honest unlike some politicians

February 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Karen

George Clooney , too truthful, priceless!

February 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  76. B

Clooney learned from his mistakes and is a wise man! It is too bad he won't run for office...he is a good man and could do a good job!

February 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • orlean

how the heck do YOU know he's a good man?? do you know him? he is an ACTOR. you will easily be swayed by a good looking person with some TV exposure. amazing...

February 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  77. oneStarman

WHO NEEDS POLITICIANS? Aren't we old enough as a species to start Governing OURSELVES. We have REPRESENTATIVES that ONLY Represent the LOBBYISTS who pay them and LEADERS who don't know which way is UP. With an INTERNET to VOTE on ALL issues – WE can be a GLOBAL DEMOCRACY of JASMINE NETIZENS>

February 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • orlean

agree. the king of the land once said:"i hope the common people never find out that they don't really need me."

February 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  78. US

You're stupid

February 23, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • orlean

Presidents need to know about world affairs and politics. not guns, not acting, not speech-making, not good-looks, not corporate schmoozing. Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm. Americans like a winner. In contrast, the President of France has a very important pre-requisite to be eligible to run for office: for a start, he (or she) needs a degree in a School of Government. After all, you don't become a dentist because you are a popular person or have family connections. you need to go to dental school to understand dental work. Clooney is somewhat aware of world affairs I'm sure. from my recollection, he's been pretty darned busy making movies. i personally saw him in South Beach picking up a young pretty model. not unlike any other person in power. it takes a large ego to run for President. Not brains. why else would someone want that position. (exception Nelson Mandela)

February 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  79. danaconda

Clooney could never be President – #1 he never served. #2 He did drugs. #3 He chases skirts........
    Wait.....I just described our last 3 POTUS, didn't I?

February 23, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  80. andrew dunne

i feel like his honesty in this interview makes him perfect to run for office

February 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Patty Biller

Love what George is doing in the Sudan. That's all that matters!!!

February 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  82. ohsnap

Two very fine looking men in that picture. And George Clooney gets better looking with age.

February 23, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Superhiro

You tell em Batman!

February 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Batman

I dont do drugs...I AM BATMAN! I save people from drugs!

February 23, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Cinematic Soul

well clooney actually seems to be a respectable person. More then can be said for most of you mouth breathers in here. Using someones former drug use against them? What hypocrites you people are.

February 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Hmmmm

Hey, Be Quiet, you're radar is off...Cary Grant wasn't gay, either...I don't know what rag you're reading, but Dyan Cannon and Cary Grant's daughter may disagree with your little assessment. Those finger-pointers are usually the guilty ones anyway.

Just like the fickle people we are: lambast him for his honesty, lambast him for his secrecy. Dude can't win, so he's not even trying...good for him!he's never let the 4th estate and the public's opinion bother him before...and he's doing it now.

February 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Superhiro

Batman's right!

February 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Batman

IMPOSTER! He can never be me-he ruined my image!

February 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Brian

Why is this smug clownshoe even talking with Obama?

February 23, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Superhiro

Cool that you doubt that I guess.

February 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Bongwater

Superhiro, I doubt he's ever had to pay for women....

February 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Superhiro

Did you just say that Clooney brings us "genius and magic" on screen? Might I ask what you would be referring to?

February 23, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Sure. Up in the Air, Syriana, Goodnight and Good Luck, O brother, Michael Clayton, The Thin Red Line, and yeah, I'll say it.... From Dusk til Dawn.

February 24, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  93. truthserum09

If u ask me it's obvious. make todays politics mixed in the school system as early as four grade. use your imagination. They say are kids are are future, subconciously speaking we've been on to something all along!?

February 23, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  94. JAMAL

I may be dumb but at least i am not a big steaming pile of people poo with vomitt on it like george clooney.

February 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ddferrari

You are so right! You ARE dumb! He's rich, famous, talented, handsome, and trying to help people. You're nothing... except jealous.

February 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  95. truthserum09

ok, whats really going on? does honesty prevail here? sure george sucked as batman, sure he's done his fair share of dirt. Who hasn't. Lets not forgot the genius and majic he's brought to the screen throughout the years. Can anybody tell me why you use little details of your past for red light. because george knows he is only hot in hollywood, and not politics.

February 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  96. JAMAL

Remember Clooneys speach at the Oscars years back ? The one where he said Hollywood and all the actors are the only reason anthing good has ever happened in the US ? Gosh he sure is a pile of pooop. I refuse to watch anything this arrogant tuuurd knocker is in. He is a creeep.

February 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  97. HGUS

Why is it that only Republicans can run for office with a history of drug use.

For W., Arnold, Limbaugh, Glen Beck their history of overcoming their additions to drugs/alchol is reviered as a badge of honor and showed their character

But if a Democrat has a history of drug use, then they are a drug using left wing hippie. Perhaps Clooney just needs to "SAY" he found the Lord, would his drug use be forgiven?

February 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ZweiStein

If he said that he "found religion" I wouldn't vote for him. Keep it as honest as you can...good. If he were married and had an extra-marital affair which he didn't reveal...I wouldn't blame him (this I understand) and would never hold that against any person – has no relevance to the issues. I say "go for it."

February 24, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  98. Superhiro

Didn't he JUST say he was using money for drugs and women? Isn't that what this article was about?

February 23, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Be Quiet

One day, many years from now, it will finally come out that George Clooney is this generations Cary Grant. My gay-dar goes off the charts with him.

February 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Bucktooth

Tell the truth George! Right On!

February 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  101. USA

WHAT ABOUT HELPING AMERICANS ????? huh Clooney what about you own ppl ? keep your money here.(as mush as possible)

February 23, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

Because Americans can help themselves, although a lot simply won't. That's why.

February 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • because it's the USA

That is what is great about this country. He can do whatever he feels right with his money. Al least he is not blowing it all on drugs and cheap women. If you don't like what he is doing with his money than take the cash you would spend on a ticket for his movies and the price of the expensive concessions and donate to the charity that you deem fit.

February 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Lily Daisy

I agree with George.

February 23, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..funny comments :)

February 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Georgia

Xteamartists has a point. If we don't learn from our mistakes, we learn nothing. Besides, do you have any idea how much peace, love and dreams of a better world originate from the bong?

February 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  105. trock

He really isn't married with two kids.

February 23, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  106. jojo

Clooney is just plain stupid for airing all of his indiscretions. I would have thought that he would be a better role model, like his father. I guess when you hang with Hollywood, you do it all. Screwing all the women and doing the drugs just to get yourself famous. Oh what a tangled web we weave to make ourselves famous. What a sad sad thing for his family to swallow.

February 23, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • DT74

Why do we always make any celebrity out to be a role model. This guy is just a dude that became an actor. What part of that should anyone look up to him for?

February 23, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • pazke

Umm...I don't think he slept around so he could become famous. I think he slept around because he already was.

February 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • say hai to your mom

is your ivory tower difficult to heat during the winter?

February 23, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ddferrari

When did he ever claim to be a role model?? You assume that everyone who is famous is obligated to be a good example to children, as if they owe us something because of their good fortune. Here's a thought: why don't PARENTS become good role models for their own children?

February 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimster

LOL...MAYBE GEORGE DID SOME DRUGS AND SHAGGED SOME BIRDS BECAUSE.......IT WAS FUN! I DON'T THINK FAME HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT....

February 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • SalSal Gamboni drank the bong water

So, being a good role model is hiding your mistakes and indiscretions? I've always thought that being a good role model was being honest, not hurting others, and doing good even when people aren't looking. Guess I was wrong.

February 23, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harold

There really needs to be more paperwork before you can post comments to a story. This is just idiotic....

February 24, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • patcee

I doubt if he did those things for the sake of fame. He was young and good looking and did what most young men do. However, honesty about the things you've done does not make you right for the presidency.

February 24, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
    • SJB

Indiscretions? Sounds like stuff humans do. You'd rather he "act" like a role model? You mean like a Catholic priest?

February 24, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
    • skeptikal

What's the matter jojo, told your kids that "Only losers use drugs" or "You'll never amount to anything if you smoke pot" and now you've got egg on your face? Maybe you should just stop lying to your kids.

But as for the story. Until the voters are willing to elect REAL people we'll keep ending up with the same clowns in office. The only difference between the parties is which flavor of horse manure you prefer to taste while it's being rammed down your throat.

February 24, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Dwight Stegall

If you met most role models in person you would fall down laughing about how imperfect they are. No one is perfect. We ALL have issues we would rather others didn't know about.

February 24, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  107. Hmmmm

1) Clooney is not married. This however, doesn't make him gay; just smart.

2) He is up front and honest about his drug use, unlike many politicians who consistently lie, and some of those who have made it to the highest office. (No pun intended!)

3) He doesn't want to run for *anything*, he has said that. Besides, I believe he can do better for the country by *not* running; this way he keeps his behind-the-scenes actions above ridicule and reproach. He can donate to what causes HE believes in, rather than what the party line tells him to do.

4) He is smoking hot, is aging handsomely, and I sure wouldn't kick his shoes out from under my bed. Which leads me to reiterate once again:

5) He's not gay.

February 23, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smith

PS He was married. He is divorced.

February 23, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod C. Venger

Dear Hmmmmm,

5) He's not gay.

Actually you don't know that. He's wealthy enough to buy whatever reputation he cares to and you have no idea whether or not a 3rd party...a male...was there with him with every single tryst he's had with a woman. He admits to doing drugs...too many of them...yet that could be a fairy tale as well...a bought and paid for image that he's obviously publically comfortable with. When did such heavy drug abusers...his seeming opinion of himself, not my judgement, btw...gain so much credibility with you?

February 23, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dwight Stegall

Just because a person isn't married doesn't automatically make them smart.

February 24, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  108. marcus

Atleast mr. clooney being honest no ones perfect except for the man upstair.

February 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Superhiro

Exactly nyc. Those "kids" are just robots built by the studio. He's so clearly and obviously gay.

February 23, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  110. JR

He's why to good looking and manly NOT to be gay.

February 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • nyc_apt_sitter

He's married...2 kids....they are just a cover...he IS GAY

February 23, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Rhonda

I would love to be sitting at that table! Yummy!

February 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Rhonda- so glad to see I'm not the only one with that exact thought! Double yummy!!

February 24, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Professer Klondike

Based on his looks alone, you 2 B!TCHES would probably vote for him

February 24, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  112. Sandy

All you people insinuating that Clooney is gay- you are sooo jealous

February 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Hmmmm

The rest of us are thinking how preoccupied Critic is with gay secks.

February 23, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  114. xteamartists

We might actually vote for a candidate who "drank the bong water". They would sure as hell be more knowledgeable on the global drug war than a fundamentalist who never leaves the house. Or the Church.

February 23, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

I usually vote centrist but I'd give Clooney a vote because he can actually admit the BS he's done. Kudos.

February 24, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  115. Denizen Kate

Why not? Why can't we have a "warts and all" politician? Why do we put these people under an unrealistic social microscope? Who really cares what they did when young? If they currently show good judgement, know the issues, and can propose possible solutions, why not?

February 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Ummmm. Comparing blowing up buildings to doing a lot of chicks and doing a lot of drugs is stupid! Clooney didn't kill innocent people, he got high and got laid. Not a big deal when compared to Bin Laden. A smart and educated person should run. Everybody has a skeleton or two from when they were younger (harmless skeletons-not killing innocent people).

February 23, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • DT74

I completely agree. We need to elect our representatives only on the issues. It should be irrelevant what they have done in the past as long as they admit it and are honest about everything from the beginning.

February 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deckroid

How about this: Why do we want our politicians to come from the Screen Actors Guild? Just because they can deliver lines and give the appropriate facial expression? I don't know about you, but I would like our president to have come up through the ranks of leadership and have the cojones to tell congress to get it's (beep) together.

February 23, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod C. Venger

To Denizen Kate: Because people with skeletons are subject to blackmail and therefore a very real possibility that their actions can be dictated by someone else. In the late 70's early 80's when I was military, I was in a program named "The Human Reliability Program". It may still exist today, if not then it surely does by some other name. Those with high level clearances are subject to intense background investigations and ongoing scrutiny throughout their careers in order to minimize the possibility that they can be turned against their will...blackmailed into betraying their country by various methods. Everyone has a secret they don't want anyone to know and it's those secrets that can be used as leverage against someone. That's one reason why something such as adultery is absolutely NOT tolerated in the military, most especially in the officer corps. Someone like Clooney maybe be willing to throw all this out in a very general way, but would be really want to go into ALL of the specifics? Few people do...or will. We actually need squeeky clean politicians for our own national security, or politicians willing to give up ALL of their secrets. Someone like Obama, who's admitted to having done coke, is a liability. If he did that much, what else has he done that he's NOT told anyone? That information, in the hands of the Russians or the Chinese, would be priceless IF it were information that Obama would feel the need to protect, no matter what. Maybe he molested someone or something. That's obviously not an admission he'd ever want to make...and whomever had the proof, or even a credible insinuation, would own the Oval Office. That's unacceptable.

February 23, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The US is worse off than France and the EU, Oui Oui Poopy Face. Excuse me, I have to go laugh at your name now, this'll take a while...

February 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • DLAD

Mr. Venger, you obviously forgot President Bush did coke as well oh yeah and he skirted the SEC because his father pulled strings and the list goes on. Was he blackmailed? Our presidents are incredibly well protected and all correspondences are monitored. I know this is true because the JFK and Monroe relationship is pretty much out there.

As usual some one is looking for Jesus Christ to run the govt. Oh yeah look where religion gets us, wars pedophiles hypocrites etc... Even Jesus had a secret relationship with Mary Magdelene. Get over it folks no one is "SIN" free. The sooner we realize this and start putting shorter/capped term laws in place, holding the people who WE hired accountable for their actions or lack there of and oh maybe someone who actually has a clue as to what they were hired to do and not for a personal agenda, the sooner things will start to get better out there. By your standards Mr.Venger, all politicians should be relieved of their duties immediately. Remember where they get the majority of their campaign funding. Don't you think they feel beholden to those folks as well.

February 24, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • nancy

George, you are one handsome dude, but that was a bit more information than I needed to know.

February 24, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Bazoing

What are you and Clooney saying?!? There is a red light place in DC which supplies kids from Boy's town to congress men and the like. Politicians get drunk and drive into canals and leave their drowning secretary there so they can go sleep it off before a probable sobriety test. They change their votes after receiving large campaign contributions, etc. Our president seems to have a clean way of life, but he promised change and then appointed almost nothing but Bush and Clinton people. That makes him one of histories greatest lairs. What do honesty, responsibility, and decency have to do with being a politician? At least Clooney is truthful, even though too naive to become a really big time liar.

February 24, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • pcef

Venger: "We actually need squeeky clean politicians for our own national security, or politicians willing to give up ALL of their secrets. Someone like Obama, who's admitted to having done coke, is a liability. If he did that much, what else has he done that he's NOT told anyone? "

Let me guess, you voted for Bush Jr who did drugs, skirted military duty (with the help of daddy) and has questionable ties to the Bin Laden family. Funny how people overlook skeletons of the politicians they do support but are quick to point out flaws in politicians that they oppose.

February 24, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Agreed and appreciated. Too long we have lived with the 'double standard.' It's time we looked within and stop pretending people don't live in the real world.

February 24, 2011 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Not sure he saying he did this stuff when he was "young", sounds like it was last week! Good for him.

February 24, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Mudboy

I agree, that is why I am hoping Donald Trump runs for POTUS, so I can watch him make mince meat out of all these cookie cutter politicians, we continue to regurgitate.

February 24, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Hop-Sing

This issues isnt George being gay or him sleeping with men or wanting to sleep with Obama. The issue is he is no intellectual powerhouse like most of you idiots believe him to be. What a stupid crop of new voters we have.

February 24, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Dwight Stegall

What about Charles Manson for President? He had a misspent youth but he'd probably be ok now. This microscope keeps disasters like this one from happening. :(

February 24, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim from Toledo

I agree with you Kate – it doesn't matter what they've done in the past, as long as they are capable now.
      The real reason George Clooney will never make it as a politician: he is an idiot.
      Don't let his smooth voice and good looks fool you, the guy is as dumb as a rock......

February 24, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • caveman

I have an objection...

Just because someone never does anything wrong in their life doesn't make them a great politician, and never will. In fact, I think those that HAVE done wrong, and admit to all their faults, makes them the greatest politician. It's standing up to the simple fact that we're all human, we make mistakes, and it's learning from them that makes us a greater person. As far as I'm concerned, I DON'T WANT THE PEOPLE IN OFFICE WHO WON'T ADMIT THEIR FAULTS and take accountability for their past. I can't even look someone in the face who has had a squeeky clean life because they don't have the experience to know the true depth of human nature to run this country. Sorry... it's just a FACT.

Clooney, run for office... nobody cares what you've done wrong. It's a matter of "doing the right thing" for this country which desperately needs new leaders. Put it this way.. if you run, I'll run with you, considering my ancestors BUILT this country, I have a say in the matter.

February 24, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  116. FacePalm

"...in real life George Clooney would never dream of running for office."

What part of that quote didn't you understand?

Where does it say he wants to be a politician in this article? Did you even read this article?

February 23, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Mims

AWESOME – I love it. "I did it all. I drank the bong water. Now lets talk about issues". That was a definite post on my facebook status. I often tell my friends "could never run for office – too many skeletons".

February 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  118. htownmark

more like you drank the bong water, you tool. The whole article is about him not wanting to be a politician, and sticking to acting.

wow.

February 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  119. oka74

wow. Why not better Tom Hanks (he won more Oscars) or Antonio Banderas (he can push the immigration reform better). I suggest lets pick from Holliwood the best. I vote for Lady Gaga. All they should know more about politics than politicians isn't? as long as they accept they laid down and smoke weed, we are cool. God bless america. chingaooo

February 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  120. oka74

Why not better Tom Hanks? (he won more Oscars) or Antonio Banderas? (he can push the immigration reform better). I suggest lets pick from Holliwood the best talented people. I vote for Lady Gaga. All they should know more about politics than politicians isn't? as long as they accept they laid down and smoke weed, we are cool. God bless america. chingaooo

February 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Mars

jeez man you didn't even read the first two sentences i despise you and your idiocy.. neuter yourself for the good of mankind

February 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  122. frank

That's exactly what Clooney is doing, you dolt. Can you even read?

February 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  123. BoRin

I think that was more Joel Schumacher's fault than Clooney's.

February 23, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Sandy

You're willing to curse out a real live human being because he may have damaged a cartoon? Wow

February 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  125. flycatcher

It deserved to die a horrible death.

February 23, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  126. commonman13

Stay away from cartoons and video games, kid.

February 23, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Charlie Sheen

Go easy dude. Me and G hang all the time. He's one chill pickle. He hasn't banged as many chicks as me but then who has?

CS

February 24, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  128. Lucinda

Oh yeah, you're one of those people that think he can wave his wand and with not enough votes pass a bill with public option. Learn how it works and THEN you can complain.

February 23, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  129. say hai to your mom

you are a moron. the best thing you ever had happen in your life was that you bought discount groceries that were either expired or in dented cans.

February 23, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  130. LW

I see that 'civil discourse' isn't a term that's understood by people on this blog. What a waste.

February 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  131. muganda

wow...you are so bitter. You may want to get off that crack...your brain is already exibiting demetia.

February 23, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |