Brad tours America on 'The Bachelor'
February 22nd, 2011

Brad tours America on 'The Bachelor'

Last night's episode of "The Bachelor" was the traditional "hometown date" show, where Brad headed to the hometowns of the four remaining contestants to meet their families and learn more about them. Hopefully Brad brought his frequent flyer card to the festivities.

Our first stop was Seattle, where Brad caught up with Chantal, who said her parents are "great judges of character," so it was crucial for them to give her the go-ahead to be with Brad. Are they also great judges of her slap-happy antics on the show?

Brad and Chantal headed to her parents' home, which appeared to double as stately Wayne Manor on "Batman." I half-expected their basement to also serve as the Batcave. Brad told the potential in-laws about Chantal slapping him on national TV, and the family seemed to enjoy that anecdote, which was quite disturbing.

Chantal's dad, who played for the NFL's Seattle Seahawks in 1979, showed Brad a statue, then talked about masonry. I'd rather hear the dad talk about Jim Zorn's leadership skills as quarterback, but I don't run the show. In the end, Brad got Chantal's dad's blessing to marry her, saying he would be proud for Brad to be his son-in-law.

Our next stop was Madawaska, Maine, the northernmost town in New England. It's where Ashley grew up, and where Brad was going to meet her family. But first, a stop at the restaurant where Ashley worked before she moved to Philadelphia.

At the eatery, Ashley mentioned that a majority of the residents speak French. Brad took that into consideration and then proceeded to speak to the waitress in Spanish. Ashley ordered Brad to enjoy some poutine, the "unofficial" national dish of Canada, as they were sitting near the New Brunswick border. Alas, the poutine Brad eats appears to consist of French fries, gravy and melted cheese. Traditional poutine substitutes cheese curds for melted cheese, but I'll give the show a pass on accuracy.

Brad and Ashley then headed to Ashley's parents' home, where Brad asked the family what it's like to grow up on the Maine-Canadian border. Sadly, no one mentioned the Grey Cup or "Red Green Show" marathons when reminiscing.

Ashley's dad noted that Ashley is technically not a "dancing dentist," as the show mentioned in the premiere, but rather a "dancing dental student." If I were Brad, I'd be a little nervous about being a guinea pig for the root canal midterm. Brad left the house concerned that a marriage proposal would prevent Ashley from following her dental dreams.

Before we met up with Shawntel the funeral director, it was time for a commercial for Shawntel's family's funeral business, complete with dog. Of course, this led to Shawntel and Brad getting together at the family funeral parlor in Chico, California.

Shawntel showed Brad around the place, including the mausoleum, the crematorium and the "prep room," where dead bodies are embalmed. She then showed off some of the instruments she uses in the embalming process. At this point, I was wondering if Shawntel was trying to pull off that human sacrifice I've joked about from time to time.

Brad met the parents and got a blessing from Shawntel's dad, but he also got a feeling that the family doesn't want her to leave Chico and the family business. Shawntel's dad openly worried that his "plans will be destroyed" if she left town - is he worried about the business or global domination?

Our final hometown date was in Charlotte, where Brad caught up with Emily and her young daughter, Ricky. Brad enjoyed calling the child "little Ricky" -  I wonder if he was an "I Love Lucy" fan growing up?

Despite some early reluctance, the three got along swimmingly, going out for a picnic and some kite-flying. The three then headed to Emily's house to play a board game and to put Ricky to bed. Can't imagine Ricky being thrilled with TV cameras being in her bedroom.

Brad told Emily he wanted to be affectionate with her, but didn't feel comfortable doing that with a child close by. Emily didn't seem too thrilled about that, and told Brad to "be himself." So the two kissed at the front door, and all was well again in Charlotte.

Brad and the four women then headed to New York for the rose ceremony, and Shawntel the funeral director got the boot. Brad said he didn't "feel the way a man should feel" when she told him that she loved him. Tough to have a touching moment like that when you hear cars honking and slamming their brakes in the background.

Next week, Brad and the women head to South Africa.

What did you think of last night's "Bachelor" episode? Share your thoughts with an iReport, like KCRep has, or sound off in the comments below!

1. comprar testosterona

Hay algunos puntos interesantes en el tiempo en este artículo, pero no sé si veo a todos ellos el centro al corazón. Hay una cierta validez, pero voy a tener opinión suspenso hasta que me veo en él más. Buen artículo, gracias y queremos más! Añadido marquee.blogs.cnn.com a FeedBurner, así

December 10, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. comprar esteroides anabólicos en línea

Saludos para compartir la información con nosotros en marquee.blogs.cnn.com.

December 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. comprar nandrolona

Hola, acabo de descubrir marquee.blogs.cnn.com en Yahoo, y encontró que es realmente impresionante. Voy a mirar hacia fuera para Bruselas. Agradecería si seguir escribiendo sobre este tema en el futuro. Mucha gente se beneficiará de su escritura. ¡Salud!

December 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. testosterone

Este artículo sobre marquee.blogs.cnn.com es digno marcar en mi opinión. Vale la pena ahorrar para futuras referencias. Es una lectura fascinante, con muchos puntos válidos para la contemplación. Tengo que coincidir en casi todos los puntos hechos en este artículo.

November 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. michelle

I think Brad has little man syndrom!!!!!

March 1, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. jillmarie

Ashley H. is the next Bachelorette. Emily was offered it, and I nor Reality Steve don't know why, but she is NOT the next bachelorette. I kinds liked Ash better, anyway. She's got more personality and spunk, IMO, and I liked her family, even if they were a bit spazzy.
    ABC does plan all the dates, he doesn't even get to pick who he takes on a date, or even the order in which roses are given out!

February 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jamie

What gets me is the girls all saying "Brad knows how to treat a girl" or "Brad plans the best dates" or... come on. ABC does all the planning and paying. I read Steve's Reality blog too.. I can't see this relationship lasting very long. But who knows. I hope Em is the new bachelorette.. will definitely watch!

February 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jillmarie

Yes, Trista and Ryan! I like them, they seem like good people. They were on Racheal Ray together recently. That's one out of several seasons that don't work, much like anyone else's dating life, when you think about it. Not every date ends in marriage! They are two people who would have dated and gotten serious if they met off the show, you can tell.
    Trista put it best when Rach asked why she did the show, she said she had dated a lot, why not let ABC play matchmaker? That way, she met guys she never would have had the opportunity to meet. Made sense.
    That said, I could never go on a group date! Too weird.

February 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. janet

sometimes there is a happy ending.....tristen and ryan

February 23, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. losers

my wife has been watching this show for years for the "train wreck" – any woman that would want to go on this type of show is one of two things – seeking fame or an idiot – the guys they pick for these shows are all players and will never make good husbands - any 25 year old boy would LOVE to be on this show but at HIS age – come on! people are such idiots

February 22, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rob

I don't understand why guys don't like the show. It's the ultimate fantasy, right? Tons of girls vying for your affection. And I guess they really schtupp each other in the fantasy suite. The quality of hookup on the Bachelor sure beats Jersey shore. No grenades for sure!!

February 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rob

By now everyone should know that if they keep having say "this is very real" over and over..... guess what?..... It's not.

February 22, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bobbie

Yet another good casting act for the show to draw viewers. None of this is real life people.

February 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • jillmarie

C'mon, all my dates have involved traveling around the world, taking private jets, having a private concert, shootng PSA's, and sometimes 8 other girls crash my date! LOL!!!! Oh, and I get engaged after knowing the guy for 6 weeks. Right after he dumps someone else on national TV!
      BTW, Emily will be the next bachelorette if she wants the gig. YAWN!

February 22, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nancy

He gets rid of the dentist next which leaves Shantel O and Emily. He picks Shantel O at the end – doesn't mean he'll be commited to her. Stay tuned.

February 22, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • jillmarie

I know! I read Reality Steve's blog. They'e engaged (for now)!

February 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jillmarie

What was UP with Shawntel's funeral home commercial???! CHEESY! I fell asleep before the end, but I know she got the boot. I'd love to see previews for the next episode. I know Ashley's next, Then Em... This show's my guilty pleasure!

February 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |