Kathy Griffin to play 'Sarah Palin type' on 'Glee'
February 21st, 2011

Kathy Griffin to play 'Sarah Palin type' on 'Glee'

Kathy Griffin has got something to sing about! Besides starring in her first Broadway show, she's just landed a guest spot on "Glee."

"So excited! It's true!" the comedian tweeted February 18, confirming a TV Line report that she'll appear in an upcoming episode.

Griffin will play one of the judges at the Regionals competition, and her character, Tammy Jean, is said to be inspired by a certain favorite target of Griffin's: According to Movieline, the Fox series was seeking an actress to play "a middle-aged 'recent Tea Party candidate and home-schooler — a Sarah Palin type.'”

Not surprisingly, Griffin, who has worked the entire Palin family into her act, was the show's go-to gal.

"Glee" previously took on Palin last season, when Coach Sue Sylvester told Cheerios Santana and Brittany, “You may be two of the stupidest teens I’ve ever encountered — and that’s saying something. I once taught a cheerleading seminar to Sarah Palin.”

Besides Griffin, "Grey's Anatomy" star Loretta Devine will also appear as a judge in the Regionals episode. Her character? A former stripper turned nun.

Are you looking forward to seeing Griffin on "Glee"?

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • Sarah Palin • television

1. Allison

TERRIBLE choice on the part of the show. Why do they insist on throwing in political insults?? Can't you just let us enjoy the music without being bombarded by biased writing and stereotyping? Love Glee, HATE Kathy Griffin. Ugh...

March 17, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Susan Parker

Oh, yes, Sarah.... KG is SUCH a "has-been" with her Broadway Show and guest appearances on top-rated network programs... not to mention her sold-out touring schedule. Interesting that KG brings out such strong feelings ... people either ADORE her (like me) or despise her. I think it's because KG is SO intelligent and witty. People who despise just don't quite have the chops to understand her wit. Somebody should do a study relating IQs to KG fans... bet it would make a hilarious slope! Upward and onward, Kathy!

March 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Leigh

Like the show, but NOT Kathy Griffin! Will not watch this episode. She's just too hateful, not funny!

March 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Obama Sucks

Kathy is a washed out " has been" that is not funny or enjoyable. Kathy is struggling to stay afloat. She can't create decent material so she attacks Sarah Palin, the strongest most powerful woman in the USA.. DUMB DAMN democrats destroys democracy.

March 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sherry

Go get her Kathy!

March 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Emily

Kathy G is my heroine!God forbid someone has the balls to call things as they are. Can NOT wait to see this episode. Love ya, Kathy!

March 2, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lynellen

Does this woman not have any other material ? I think this is one episode I will have to pass on.

February 22, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mtee

Honestly, liberals keep wondering why Sarah Palin won't just go away.. maybe because you keep bringing her back. Time and again.. I personally am tired of the jokes. Find someone else to hate, it's getting old. AND I'm tired of politics entering into shows. I watch shows to get away from real life and all that crap. I could care less what some producer/actor/actress or talk show host thinks about politics. Just like you all could care less what I think. We can think for ourselves, quit trying to push us one way or another. Just entertain us.

February 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. geaux_tigers

That's too bad. I can't stand Kathy Griffin. She just needs to go crawl back into the insect hole she came out of.

February 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. solarbluseth

hell's to the yes! Now Finally a reason to watch GLEE

February 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bonnie

i love glee, bu i can not stand kathy griffin. SHE'S JUST NOT FUNNY.

February 22, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superhiro

Not a fan of Kathy but if you're making fun of Palin, you're doing god's work as far as I'm concerned.

February 22, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. mad hater

I don't like her cause she is a gay supporteror things that are fun like Glee.

February 22, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. sadiesadie

I am not a fan of KC's brand of comedy and while I don't particularly like Sarah Palin I have to say that after two years everyone needs to find another parody. It's getting old. Let's make fun of the Obama's and their need to take tons of vacations a year while children in this country go malnurished to school. Awesome. Glee was great the first season, I stopped watching half way through the grilled cheezus episode.

February 22, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kurt

I don't understand her hateful humor. She just seems Angry. The viewing audience of TV in general, you may want to re-examine your pathetic situation. You may lack intelligence, appearance, and probably a social life, but as scary and sick as Kathy Griffin is, she seems to be making a living with her annoying voice and a "following" that is a reflection of her. Sad. No wonder there is barely an audience for TV today. There just isn't any viewer ship anymore and that is why.

February 22, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. Willie12345

Does Griffin eat with that mouth ? Does she kiss her parents with those same lips?

February 22, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  17. Thebugsy

Noooooooooooo

February 22, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  18. Tam

Too bad Kathy is so offensive in her own right. Just a nasty comedian and personality. Love to see Palin panned, but not by her.

February 22, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  19. Griffin stole Joan Rivers Schtick

Griffin is just a cheap hack.

February 22, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. patl

that Kathy Griffin needs to stay home........Cannot stand her.......Glee is my favorite and its going to be ruined because she is on a segment......Sick of her Palin jokes anyway!!!!

February 22, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  21. Mr. X

Amazing how left wing loonies, such as the no-talent hack Kathy, are obsessed with Palin. Kathy has all the talent of a dial tone.

February 22, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  22. johnnyb

I only fast forward to the scenes with the hotties oh wait that's most of them. Although it would even things out if they picked on the first chimp oops I mean first lady for a change

February 22, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael A Haase

Racist much? Having dinner at the Duke's later, right? David Duke, that is.

April 11, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  23. brillow

bring back celebrity death match.... kathy the mouth griffin vs. sarah the butcher palin.

February 22, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  24. anthonny

She can dish it out but can't take it! How's your children's sweat shops doing?

February 22, 2011 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  25. SKY

FACT; KATHY GRIFFIN YOU MAKE THE WORLD SMILE
    SUCH A BEAUTIFUL, FUNNY, FUNNY PERSON.

February 22, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  26. Free Thinker

Don't watch Glee much but will to see KG. Her stand-up act is hysterically pee-in-your-pants funny but admittedly flies right over the heads of many rightwing conservative types due to excessive taxation of their limited faculties. The jokes just aren't quite as funny any more when you have to take so long to explain them.

February 22, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  27. Thatguy371

At least they both have something in common – they're irritating as hell.

February 22, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  28. ThatCad

Who would i rather?
    Palin would choke-
    Griffin would swallow-

The choice is obvious!

February 22, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  29. SH

Kathy Griffin is beyond annoying. I loved Glee when it first came on. Their renditions of the songs they did were fun and entertaining and the story line was fun. Since season two though they"e been pandering to every big name no talent out there. The recent Justin Beiber episode has me right on the line to quit watching. Kathy Griffin will put me over the line. If I go I won't come back.

February 22, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

I'm sure the show is concerned...don't let the door hit you...

February 22, 2011 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  30. Charles

That's crazier than a rubber hose bottle of foot.

February 22, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  31. celtsfan

JFK – way to over-generalize. I can assure you that my level of education extends far beyond high school. In fact, I am a licensed attorney in multiple states. I don't consider myself blue-collar and I enjoy Kathy Griffin's comedy. She's crude and crass and isn't afraid to say what she thinks. Some people find it funny, others don't. But please don't make sweeping claims – I am sure "blue collar" workers are offended that you are insinuating that they aren't intelligent enough to enjoy a more sophisticated comedian's act, and white collar workers are just as offended that you're implying that we must be dumb to enjoy a laugh. Choose your words more carefully, please.

February 22, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  32. Jack

Can't wait! Kathy is so funny!!

February 21, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thatguy371

@Jack – "Can't wait! Kathy is so funny!!"

Jack, it's really sad how easily entertained you are. Grow up. You're embarrassing the rest of us.

February 22, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  33. Miami Mike

I don't watch Glee but I will when Kathy comes on. Kathy rocks. I wish she was still on Regis.

February 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Red Pison

Should have been Tina Fey instead of this dried up husk.

February 21, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  35. JFK57

Kathy Griffin is the current day Joan Rivers. Neither of these women have any talent or do anything worth watching.
    They are funny only to those individuals whose education went no further than high school. Griffin appeals to
    blue collar types who have an axe to grind. Bad humor. In short, both are a couple of dogs!

February 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. dat wabbit

Yo old goat, she can play Godzilla, I mean Michelle Obama, just have her in blackface and there you go-now that would be funny!

February 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. alaska ron

i went to school with s. palin and trust me folks when i say she is as dumb as a bag of rocks. teachers wanted to slap her she was so stupid

February 21, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jason the Saj

They should have another judge. An older white haired male, I think he's supposed to be the vice-president or something. But we never see him...and on each and every rare occasion we see him, he says something stupid.

Oh wait, my bad...only conservatives are allowed to be mocked incessantly.

February 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  39. arnold ziffle

sandra honey.. you're the one who doesn't "get it" ! KG may be your l*sbian fantasy, but that does not make her funny.

February 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  40. David

An ridiculously annoying 'actress' human type thing, portraying a person not nearly as annoying, on a show that's equally annoying as she is. Nope, won't be there.

February 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  41. arnold ziffle

teddy2chains... why don't you s**k yo mamma's sick d*ck? at least don't spell out the bad words, use a * so you won't get in trouble with the censors!

February 21, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. sandra

HOORAY! Can't wait! I love her. Kathy's known for intelligent humor. Judging from most of you commenting on here who hate her - you don't think she's funny because you don't "get it." Doesn't mean she's not funny. To most of us with a brain and a sense of humor about ourselves, she's very funny. That's why she's a huge success. Her comedy is her claim to fame, if you don't like it, don't listen to it.

February 21, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Maxwell

I will stop watching these shows that continue to voice their political crap. This is not entertaining and I thought that was what these shows are suppose to be. Kathy needs to go away. She has never nor will she ever be funny.

February 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  44. arnold ziffle

it's schtick, not stick, dumba$$. shows how much you know about comedy. very few female comedians are actually funny, honey. kathy is NOT one of them.

February 21, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Sarah

Wow I thought CNN and Anderson Cooper was the only network that would give dried up old bag of rat guts any air time. Guess the Glee crowd are just as desperate.

February 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Ace

Kathy may not be the best comedian to some of you (in my opinion she is one of the best) but she can sure fill an venue for her shows. She makes fun of everyone, that's what comedians do...some of you really do need to chill out. I can't wait to see it. Should be the bomb....Those of you who are commenting on her looks, I hope ya cleaned your glass houses before being so nasty about how someone looks. To those who just had to drag Michelle Obama into this, all I can say is:really, wow, really...I along with millions thinks she's the Lady that has more class in her pinky fingernail than you haters can only dream of ever having! Right on Michelle! Love you Kathy!

February 21, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Xander Smith

I hate Kathy Griffin but love Glee. This is a terrible decision on their part to have her on the show. She is not funny. All she does is insult others and people who have an awful sense of humor are the only ones who find her funny.

February 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Girl Power

....just another big-mouth, hot-headed red head. Can't stand red heads....all the girls in high school with apple tops were so annoying and when they grew up....even more annoying

February 21, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Monica Yoshihara

What does Michelle Obama have to do with an episode of Glee??? Right wingers take flight off the subject once again. Talking about black booty etc... I will not cry racism but I will cry "ignorance at it's best". Keep on showing it folks, we laugh in the face of the ridiculous.

February 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  50. arnold ziffle

Kathy Griffin is the most unfunny beyotch in TV land. how does she keep getting work?

February 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. JAS

What do Kathy Griffin and CNN have in common? They're both OBSESSED with Sarah Palin.

February 21, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. JD

I'll be watching to see Loretta Devine. I watch everything she does.

Not a big Griffin fan but she really did a good job on Law and Order.

February 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  53. steve

She could win a osar if she plays as andy dick she looks just like him AMAZING

February 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • dead on

Your dead on the money. If I didn't know better I would swear they were both spawned by the same genetically deficient parents

February 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  54. TSteveo

Wow this woman is so hard to look at...gross! Ginger-vitis

February 21, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  55. frontgate

I love anyone who blasts the moron Palin and her dysfunctional family.

February 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Jam

Just another sign the world is ending.griffin is a windbag palin is a parrot yup i love to hate them both.

February 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  57. yeeeah

Project much?

February 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Joey

May I have ten seconds it took to read this article please? I could have spent that time on picking my nose and scratching my bum.

February 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sarah Palin cousin

Hum diddle do...anyone can be Sarah Palin-esque. Just walk around pointing fingers & talk about how the media is after you and how its all just a huge injustice. Kathy will be hilarious. Let her make millions by poking fun at celebs. She's harmless.

February 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Shecky

Kathy Griffin is NOT funny at all, she looks like a wrinkled up CHICKEN, and all she can do is be hateful and make fun of people. Sign of a VERY unhappy and bitter woman.

February 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey

You have a point, her smile reminds me of a mother who is angry at her kids in the grocery store.

February 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Neil

Check out the beak on that thing.

February 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey

You would do right to know that it's also an endangered species. The"Washupitar" is a one of a kind beast belonging to the "hasbeen" family of birds.

February 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  62. zephyrwinds

Don't think you can turn a sows ear into a silk purse, neither can Griffin play Palin. Poor Griffin, she is one homely woman and apparently can't have a career without making fun of people. Doesn't work though, she is just a nobody that only has a following of the dregs of society. nasty !!!

February 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • BR

Since you see it fitting to resort to simple personal attacks...your analogy would require the generous stretch of putting Palin in the silk purse role....But a sows ear can look incredibly like a sack of a different nature which is perfectly fitting.

And thanks for the obvious...making fun of celebrities IS her career and she makes no allusions otherwise.

February 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah Palin cousin

Chlamydia of the mouth much zephyr?

February 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • the dregs

zephyr, how about you crawl back into whatever crap hole you came out of...thanks. btw, your mom called earlier and wants you to stop stealing her tampons. cheers!

February 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  63. BR

Love the irony that KG could easily be responsible for most of the posts on this thread so far. Love her...hate her...love to hate her. All of the above.

February 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  64. J

Ohio Ron u hit it right on the head!

February 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Yawn, so boring!!

Enough already with the Sarah Palin skits...that's like 2 year old material. It was funny when Tina Fey did it, but Griffin is just being a wanna-be. Get some new material, we've heard enough Palin jokes, slams, and insults. Move on, please.

February 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • S_ckitJeez_us

No sign of Palin slowing down on being an enormous, ill-informed, righty-tighty gas bag so not likely the comedy will stop any time soon.

February 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

s_C surprisingly, you took the words right outta my mouth lmao

February 22, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  66. J

Fff

February 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  67. J

Simply one more reason NOT to watch Glee! Next to Joy Behar Kathy Griffin is the most obnoxious, unfunny person on TV

February 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  68. OldGoat

The fact that Kathy Griffin can even earn a paycheck as a comedian (she's really not at all funny, in my opinion) proves that talent is not a prerequisite to appearing in a TV show.

February 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Caleb Vinyard

Yes!!!! A Kathy Griffin/Glee combo would be just fantastic! Her light humor would be a great contrast to Jane Lynch's darker humor!!!!

February 21, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  70. JR

Fair play would be if they had Bristol on, her character could drop a kid during junior graduation.

February 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Milwaukee Mark

Love it. I just saw her here in Milwaukee...taping her next Bravo special. She'll be awesome!

February 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Devine

Forget her, I'm more excited for Loretta Devine. I Loved her on Supernatural.

February 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Sean

People need to relax and stop taking the show so seriously. Glee is suppose to be fun and I think bringing Kathy on would be hilarious. She's just playing one of the judges, she's not singing. Her acting can't be worse than Olivia Newton John's or Josh Grobin's (regionals judges from season 1). Can't wait!!

February 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Jake T

Can't wait! I love her!

February 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  75. sharky

Ah yes, Glee sinking to even more lows getting Griffin on board for the show, even for a guest spot. Glee once had promise, now it is becoming just disappointment.

February 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

YES, let's all gang up on Kathy Griffin. A comedian that makes a living making fun of everyone. Sarah Palin is not excluded, unfortunately, nor is anyone!!! Kathy is the Queen of Comedy...she makes fun of everyone equally! And no, I am not a lesbian!

February 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  76. yar

When will this be, so i can miss the show!!? Ugh!!

February 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  77. nothing worth watching on cable anymore

I'm so sick of seeing her show up on tv. Her comedy sux, she can barely act, and she would never get any air-time if she didn't have "special help" behind the scenes. So who is it? Her uncle? Some family member in the cable biz?
    And that is a horrible picture, btw. She looks like a man. Why can't she just find something else to do?

February 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Kathy griffin is hilarious!

February 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

And here you are working at McDonalds. Every comedian has their stick.. and you either like it or don't. Kathy Griffin has a huge following just as Sarah Palin does. Kathy has dry humor which pokes at celebrities and their faults... If you don't like, don't watch it... just as I choose not to listen to what Sarah Palin has to say – doesn't mean I am going to bash her.

February 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

What are you watching her show for then? Oh I know – you just want to whine. You should be telling this to Palin!

February 24, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • KARINA

I think that some people know too much about what is KATHY GRIFFIN doing; If you dont like her, how you guys know about her??? This is my free opinion, I respect everybody, but SORRY I LOVE KATHY GRIFFIN !!!!

March 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  78. DougB

I can't wait for this episode to air-I hope they just let her ad-lib!

February 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • clueless

Why? All we would hear is the air whistling out of her empty head. This woman hasn't been funny in years(if she ever was).

February 22, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Kathy Griffins nose job.

Oh no...not this snotty nosed little 3rd grade bytch again.

February 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bookenz

Kathy may be a lot of things, but saggy is not one of them.

February 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Actually, though Griffin is (thanks to several surgeries) in decent shape for a woman her age, if you take a look at her from the back she's saggier than a shar pei. I'm talking scary.

As to her appearing on Glee; that's too bad. I liked the show. But when shows start abusing their popularity by making political digs I tend to move on. I'm not even a Palin fan, but i don't watch Glee to see the writer's political views.

February 22, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

D list actress playing a D list politician.

February 22, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Paco

Palin may not be a brain surgeon, but she is smarter, kinder and better looking than White Trash Griffin.

This is the beginning of the end for Glee. Stupid move to get political, ER never recovered from their liberal commentary.

March 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  80. OhioRon

Oh man you are sooo right. The left can dish it out but they would scream racism if they made fun of the first fat lady.

February 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  81. OhioRon

jen, Are you upset that someone actually mentioned how big Michelle's butt is or the fact that someone could possibly be against the party of hate?

February 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  82. sockpuppet

because making fun of someone's genetic body type is racism, as opposed to going after a person's stupidity. Unless, of course, Palin has a certifiable medical or genetic condition that causes her mouth to flap and produce such ridiculous nonsense. If that's the case, we will all shut up and be a little more PC about her disabilities.

February 22, 2011 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  83. kathysandiego

Sarah Palin doesn't look THAT bad! Kathy Griffin rocks!!! Jealousy and envy are so tacky.

February 21, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |